RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred was a good teammate and a good leader, but the writing was on the wall as far as what he has left.

The best thing the Bills could do is cut him now after the nice run he had the other day. All 31 other teams saw that highlight. His chances of landing with another team are at their greatest right now.

Good luck to you FJ! You are all class.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Not so sure at his age he finds work someone else. There've been backs with better numbers not being able to find work at 34. I always hoped Fred stayed with the Bills when his playing career was over. Either as a coach, front office job, scout, etc

Edited by JTSP

So how did they convince the Pegulas after Freddie ripped off his 40+ yard run?

It's the only way to make cap room for Dareus?

That is the only thing that lets me wrap my head around this.

Best case scenario is that Freddy isn't picked up by another team and is resigned by the Bills at a lower salary.

Extremely tough day to say goodbye to Fred. I bought a custom throwback Jackson jersey at some point his rookie year after the Washington game. Loved his effort, loved the guy, love an underdog. I had to be one of the first 50 people to get a Freddie Bills jersey! I wish him luck anywhere, even NE, and even against us as long as we win (especially at the ralph).

I tend to believe I enjoyed rooting for a mediocre team filled with guys I loved - Fred, Fitz, George Wilson, CJ, even Stevie.... more than I might a winning team with Percy, Richie, and LeSean...

Edited by jwolf02

I'm sure this has been said countless times in 39 pages of posts just on this thread. But, it seems to me that Fred brings so many intangibles and locker room leadership (esp. needed if you're willing to bring in all these 2nd chancers) that even if Bryce and Boobie can gain more yards than him this year, he should have been the choice for that roster spot over either of them.

I doubt the difference between them and him talentwise is more than what he brings to the locker room.

I'm sure this has been said countless times in 39 pages of posts just on this thread. But, it seems to me that Fred brings so many intangibles and locker room leadership (esp. needed if you're willing to bring in all these 2nd chancers) that even if Bryce and Boobie can gain more yards than him this year, he should have been the choice for that roster spot over either of them.

I doubt the difference between them and him talentwise is more than what he brings to the locker room.

Kyle Williams will be the voice.

Fred was cut because they needed to shed salary and so this was a no brainer. You see, if Taylor starts over 50% of the games in 2015 then the Bills would be forced to pay him a full salary (cant remember the figure, but maybe 6,000,000). Cassel will be next. Again cost savings move. They are shedding where they may so that they can create a funding for Gilmore and Darius. Prediction, look for Tampa to trade for O'Leary. He was Winston's reliable target. Im suprised that he hasnt stood out. Perhaps he chose not to. Maybe he wants to get cut so that, but till definitely land in Tampa shortly after.

There really is no debate. Everyone knows it was a horrible decision to cut him. Everyone knows it wasn't a football decision. Everyone os pissed off. And everyone is resigned to these facts and prepared to move on as fans accordingly.

Those trying to hijack the majority with snark are message board trolls, or plants with agendas. We all know it. Not much left to say. On to the football with a carryover of bitterness for the injustice done to Fred.

That's it. Done.

I'm sure this has been mentioned ad nauseam but my biggest concern is pass protection. Fred had a real knack for that.

Good point. He was an excellent blocker. Hopefully Karlos is a good blocker who can also be a threat on third down the D has to account for?

There really is no debate. Everyone knows it was a horrible decision to cut him. Everyone knows it wasn't a football decision. Everyone os pissed off. And everyone is resigned to these facts and prepared to move on as fans accordingly.

Those trying to hijack the majority with snark are message board trolls, or plants with agendas. We all know it. Not much left to say. On to the football with a carryover of bitterness for the injustice done to Fred.

That's it. Done.

I think it was probably a football decision. Can I say that? Does that make me not everyone?

Good point. He was an excellent blocker. Hopefully Karlos is a good blocker who can also be a threat on third down the D has to account for?

I think it was probably a football decision. Can I say that? Does that make me not everyone?

Not when it comes to negativo. His tin foil hat is on and has everything figured out. Anyone who agrees with the decision is planted here by Whaley and Rex.

This is the first decision since the Pegulas took over that I fully think was the wrong decision. Fred is the heart and soul of this team. To be so close to the cusp of a Playoff run type season, and think he will miss it after all his years and effort, is a shame.

Yeah he's old and whatever.. But he's easily the 3rd, if not 2nd, best back on the team. It just makes no sense at all to me. He's the most loved player on the team and he's cut. Reminds me of when the cut Thurman, Bruce, and Andre. Just disheartening

Legend has it, Azor Ahai labored for 30 days to create the sword that would defeat the darkness only to have it break. He tried again for 50 days and nights, and it broke again. Only on the third try, after laboring for 100 days and nights and driving the blade through his loving wife's heart did he form the mythical weapon that would defeat the darkness.

We just cut out our heart guys. Bring on the playoffs.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

This team is not lacking for leadership, regardless.

You can argue the virtues of Freddy vs. Brown, but you can leave Boobie Dixon out of the discussion. His ST abilities put him in a different class entirely.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't understand the "leak it to the fans" part - the fans get it faster than the press? not likely....

The "dress one more time/coin toss" thing might be appropriate if Fred wanted to retire. Evidently he doesn't and is hoping to catch on with another team, thus they cut him early to give him his best shot.

Maybe a simple, understated, affair like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAnmlEN8rI

But without the open infidelity to his wife, and (alleged) mob connections.

Fred was cut because they needed to shed salary and so this was a no brainer. You see, if Taylor starts over 50% of the games in 2015 then the Bills would be forced to pay him a full salary (cant remember the figure, but maybe 6,000,000). Cassel will be next. Again cost savings move. They are shedding where they may so that they can create a funding for Gilmore and Darius. Prediction, look for Tampa to trade for O'Leary. He was Winston's reliable target. Im suprised that he hasnt stood out. Perhaps he chose not to. Maybe he wants to get cut so that, but till definitely land in Tampa shortly after.

I've been super busy today and haven't had the chance to read anything. What will be cap savings of keeping Brown, etc. vs. Fred?

I've been super busy today and haven't had the chance to read anything. What will be cap savings of keeping Brown, etc. vs. Fred?

Brown is about a shade over 2m less

Keeping Williams in boobies role would have another good chunk saved, if we go to 3.

Edited by NoSaint

Fred deserved a proper send off. Everyone knew his time in Buffalo was coming to an end. To cut him, two weeks before the season opener is a slap in the face to him. You had players (AW) wearing his number to honor him, Bradham saying he was devastated and KW/Eric Wood saying they are shocked and stunned by what happened. Here we are two weeks before the start of the season and we cut one of the most respected players in the history of our organization. Let him go in March, give him a Steve Smith type retirement ending season, don't cut him with Ross Cockrell and a bunch of guys who won't even be in this league again. It was the wrong way to go about parting ways.

The board had the same if not a larger explosion at the rumor surfacing in March.

I kind of understand it but I totally do not like it. I think it is very short sighted. Some times contributions to winning teams comes from more than the measurables. Fred can contribute in so many ways to this team. I'd take him over Bryce Brown in a heart beat. I wish they had let him play this year and give him the option to retire afterwards. You can find a dozen Bryce Browns in the draft from round 4 on so why not keep the intangibles on this team this year. Hate the decision

fred made the cut to get that 40 yard gain that most running backs wouldnt have, he ran like water moves downhill, when brown runs right into the pile and fumbles, we will never know the cut that fred would have made to make it down just to the 1 yard line because he was a little slow. A little slow was still alot better than running stupidly into a blocker, which is why the moron spiller got let go in march. So now we see the end of the classy fj and welcome the likes of ik, incognito and harvin, sigh.

So long Fred, you were a great Bill. Thanks.