RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ChrisBrownBills: Full story on Jackson's release right here - http://t.co/F4tiwgUyPK #Bills

Wrong! This is how it went down.

At team meeting.

Rex, "Okay, I'm ready to name our starting Quarterback for 2015. But let me say this before I tell you who it is. This can't be leaked by anybody. And by anybody, I mean anybody. I don't care who you are. If you leak this before we play Indy, I will cut you so fast your head will swim. I mean it. Don't try me. So, having said that, Tyrod Taylor will be our starting Quarterback in 2015."

2 minutes later, Fred's phone rings. It's Jay Glazer.

"Hey Fred, any news on who the new QB will be yet? I'm dying to get out in front of this story on Twitter. My tweets are down compared to some of the other guys. Can you give me a hint even? I sure would appreciate it."

"Sure Jay. It's Tyrod. Coach just told us."

Rex overhears Fred... The rest is history.

Okay, I gave myself three bags and three thumbs down.

:bag: :bag: :bag::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Hey, I'm not the one that cut him. No need to call names. You are letting your emotions get the better of you.

No, you are the one who expressed the sentiment "I'm sure (Fredex)'ll make a fine used car salesman" on the day Fred was cut.

That makes you a douche - you're right, no need to call names, it's just an accurate description of your behavior.

Even stats mavens like myself who emotionally hate but factually understand the move can "call one when we see one"

Swinging positive, I'll go with Doug Whaley's statement instead of "Doug Flutie Band"s statement:

“Today, we had to make the difficult decision to release Fred Jackson,” said Bills GM Doug Whaley in a statement. “He had an incredible career for this organization for the past 10 years. We thank Fred for his hard work, dedication and leadership during his tenure with the Buffalo Bills. Fred has inspired the city of Buffalo in a number of ways. Fred and his family have been dedicated to this community and we can’t thank them enough for their contributions through his career.”

Edited by Hopeful

You think they will go with McCoy, Karlos and Dixon versus McCoy, Karlos and Brown? And why, besides the obvious ST bad ass that Boobie is.

Depends on Boobie's relative health, but I think Brown is only 50/50 at this point. Dixon brings some of Freddy's leadership intangibles and is familiar with Roman's schemes. And he is a special teams ace as you said.

The best clues to who we keep may be found looking at SF's rosters during Roman's time there. I know he places a premium on TEs so I can see him keeping one in favor of a fourth RB.

I also don't think Brown is a Ryan favorite and he and his coaches have final say. These idiotic "Whaley's ego" posts notwithstanding.

GO BILLS!!!

It's akin to if the Steelers had cut Bettis in his final season to make roster space for an overrated/under-performing young back the GM wanted to be proved right about. It's wrong, it stinks, and it cuts the heart out of the team. Bad move.

Except that Bettis was still a very capable 3rd down, short yardage back. Sadly, Fred Jackson is not. He struggled in short yardage situations.

Emotionally, it sucks, but it's a good football move. This is the kind of stuff that Belichek does ALL THE TIME. When the old dog can't play, he takes them out back to the barn. Think of all the "all-time great" Patriots he's mercilessly cut.

Wrong! This is how it went down.

At team meeting.

Rex, "Okay, I'm ready to name our starting Quarterback for 2015. But let me say this before I tell you who it is. This can't be leaked by anybody. And by anybody, I mean anybody. I don't care who you are. If you leak this before we play Indy, I will cut you so fast your head will swim. I mean it. Don't try me. So, having said that, Tyrod Taylor will be our starting Quarterback in 2015."

2 minutes later, Fred's phone rings. It's Jay Glazer.

"Hey Fred, any news on who the new QB will be yet? I'm dying to get out in front of this story on Twitter. My tweets are down compared to some of the other guys. Can you give me a hint even? I sure would appreciate it."

"Sure Jay. It's Tyrod. Coach just told us."

Rex overhears Fred... The rest is history.

Okay, I gave myself three bags and three thumbs down.

:bag: :bag: :bag::thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Makes as much sense as anything else.

I think your last paragraph is why they released Fred. But I think they keep Brown over Boobie because Karlos is a battering ram like Boobie. Brown is a slasher. It's just an opinion though. Who knows.

the price tag doesnt hurt either, if evaluating the 3rd and/or 4th rb situation.

Right, and it's bias when it comes from fans too. Objectively, Fredex has a higher fumble rate per carry than Brown does, but Brown is seen by fans as "that fumbler".

Fred lost one fumble last year in 141 carries, Bryce 1 in 36 carries. Are you using a bigger sample?

Mike Williams was hot garbage in public. Bryce is bad behind 3 other good players. Also 6th round flyer vs. a 4th (poentially 3rd!) round pick.

I guarantee Doug Whaley thinks that Bryce Brown will do more for the Bills in 2015 than Freddy could, and I guarantee he's wrong.

Whaley must be thinking longer-term, because for this year, absolutely no way Bryce does more than Freddy.

This move is probably to justify the trade for Bryce Brown, and now keeping him The difference those two players is age, and one being a top NFL RB.

Every time he fumbles I'll think of Freddy!

Freddy fumbles more than Brown. Edited by plenzmd1

Fred lost one fumble last year in 141 carries, Bryce 1 in 36 carries. Are you using a bigger sample?

Whaley must be thinking longer-term, because for this year, absolutely no way Bryce does more than Freddy.

He may have a leg to stand on there, but I doubt that too. I say it's a wash, a 50-50 call, and he picked wrong.

Hill and Wood will play 60 minutes this Thursday night and then never be heard from again. The other four will be on the final 53 and one of them (Brown?) likely inactive on most gamedays unless somebody gets hurt.

If one was going to be inactive every week, I think fredex would have stayed. I think all will be active especially with our offense being run heavy. But I also only see us with 5 wr on the 53.