RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

One other thing about Fred that I hope doesn't happen.

He's known as one of the best guys in the NFL and all-time great Bill, but he has not always liked the Bills organization. There have been two times he was very pissed at them, downright bitter, and thought they totally screwed him over on contracts.

He can take this release one of several different ways. Hopefully he will be pragmatic about it. But if he is downright bitter, he could easily want to go to the Patriots or Dolphins or Jets. His love for the city or the fans may prevent him from doing this. I wonder what Thurman will say to him.

reggie Wayne went to the Pats so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Fred do the same.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you referring to, specifically?

The time he was pissed the most was the second last contract I think he signed several years ago. The Bills had him over a barrel and they lowballed him bad. He had outperformed his last contract by a mile and was a RFA IIRC and they should have rewarded him but they gave him about the least they could, and it's not like he could have just gone somewhere in FA. He was very unhappy with what they offered and what he signed for.

reggie Wayne went to the Pats so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Fred do the same.

The Cowboys make a lot of sense. They're relying on Darren McFadden, which is not a good plan (another classic case of of Jerry Jones' overenthusiasm for Arkansas players). They're a very good team too, and Fred is from the Dallas area.

Gutless presser by Whaley. We know it was a difficult decision. You owed us the WHY. Hiding behind "competitive" reasons is gutless.

I am not even sure how this makes us more competitive. We will never give the ball to Bryce Brown in a real game situation.

I think the Bills are overlooking the reliability factor of Fred. Yes, he has slowed and has had injures-- but he fights through and, when he plays, he is as reliable as they come.

Gutless presser by Whaley. We know it was a difficult decision. You owed us the WHY. Hiding behind "competitive" reasons is gutless.

Just stop already. Everyone knows 'why'. If Whaley said "he's 34, slow and injury prone now and costs more than the other guys" you'd be in hysterics over the lack of respect.

Don't worry, guys. We have Bryce Brown. I am sure he won't wash out of the league in a year...

I'm sure he won't either.

But I am sure Fred Jackson will be retired in a year.

I would actually be very surprised if Fred gets claimed. He is a great guy/teammate/player, can still find daylight, and can fall forward - but there just simply is no getting past his age. Not many teams paring down their rosters are going to be looking to sign a thirty four and a half year old running back. For those of you asking why... Age is a pretty obvious reason. You would respect and support Whaley more if he came out and said "fred is just too damn old"???