RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. To say I was shocked when I got this notification from the Bills app is an understatement. I can't say I love the decision but there you are it is made.

I really popped by this thread to say thank you Fred Jackson. Thanks for giving nothing less than 100% every time you pulled on that Bills uniform over the past 10 years. I can only apologise on behalf of the Bills that we didn't give you the teammates to get you where you decided to go. You have brightened up many a Bills afternoon with one of your all effort runs. The one that set up the field goal to beat the Patriots** in 2011 and the one on opening day last season stick particularly long in the memory.

You belong on the wall of fame and I look forward to the day you are up there. Good luck to you Fred and to your family whatever you go on to do next.

Plenty of coaches over the years have talked about what it means to be a Bill - well talk is always cheap - they should have just pointed at Fred Jackson. Number 22 will never be the same again.

Fred Jackson is one of us.

Classy.

I agree and came here to do the same.

unfortunately...

Rex, as a name and powerful coach, is going to have enormous say and sway. There is no question about this and I think there is no doubt he was on board with this if not the person who initiated it. But the last two years he was clearly not in control of the roster in NY and he shared it with Tannenbaum previous to Village Idzik.

The Bills, if I'm not mistaken, officially announced that Whaley had total roster control. And Rex had total gameday active control. That doesn't mean Rex doesn't wield a ton of power, and Whaley may even acquiesce to him on decisions like this. But it's Whaley job and call on who is on the 53.

The decision to cut Freddy was a Ryan/Roman decision. Of course Whaley was consulted, but don't act like he went to the coaches and told him he was cutting Freddy in the midst of the coaches' roster decisions. It was the other way around.

GO BILLS!!!

I saw the writing on the wall before the preseason. This backfield was too loaded for Freddy to be kept on. Everything that Freddy excels at, Shady does better. This way they could keep who they like out of Boobie, Bryce and Karlos.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: These are not 8 year olds getting cut from a Pee Wee program...Freddy is a grown man and lost his job as an employee of the Bills. There are no guarantees. Bush League???? Common man!!

who's asking for guarantees... I think Fred deserved a fonder farewell for being a team-leader, moral compass, and productive performer all these years.. Common, yourself, man!

Then how was he to be released?

what were they supposed to do? if fred wouldnt retire, there had to be a cut at some point.

I don't GAF what anyone says, putting him out with the camp trash is no way to treat a standard-bearer like #22...

Edited by #34fan

The decision to cut Freddy was a Ryan/Roman decision. Of course Whaley was consulted, but don't act like he went to the coaches and told him he was cutting Freddy in the midst of the coaches' roster decisions. It was the other way around.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't and don't think it was. What I am saying is that it's Whaley final call, not Whaley made this particular choice and brought it up to Rex. I would imagine at this late point virtually all of the decisions are made by the coaches and brought to Whaley who discusses it with them. But he is in charge of the 53 and not Rex.

Fwiw, I think this particular thing was what Rex wanted, in discussion with Whaley and Roman over whether they wanted to keep 3-4 RB, 5-7 WR, and 3-4 TEs, and collectively they decided to let an extra RB go, which became Fred now to give him a chance to latch onto another team easier.

Whaley just spoke to reporters; called it a decision that was unbelievably difficult but had the support of everyone including the Pegulas. Said he and Rex had a very emotional conversation with Fred. Release came now to allow him time to catch on somewhere else.

Sounds like it was done in as classy and respectful a way as possible.

Thanks, eball, I'm very glad to hear this. I had hoped this was the case, and I'm glad to be right.

who's asking for guarantees... I think Fred deserved a fonder farewell for being a team-leader, moral compass, and productive performer all these years.. Common, yourself, man!

I don't GAF what anyone says, putting him out with the camp trash i's no way to treat a standard-bearer like #22...

well, he was the only one in the camp trash can to get a press conference called by the GM to talk about how hard of a decision it is, what he means to the team and community, plus all the things you mentioned. So it was handled very differently. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't GAF what anyone says, putting him out with the camp trash is no way to treat a standard-bearer like #22...

so what would you have done if you were GM and decided it was time to make the move?

they let him go early to find a team. they held a press conference for him. what would you have liked to have seen?

Edited by NoSaint

LOVE everything about Fred, but the NFL is a business and this is a good decision. Age (increased injury potential and losing step), financial savings to either sign a FA or pay a guy like Dareus/Bradham, and the fact he doesn't play special teams is huge. Karlos has impressed and looks poised to be #2 back with Boobie as the 3rd. I would be OK cutting Brown if it lets us keep a guy like Thigpen who could be a real special teams asset, add depth at WR and be the 4th/emergency RB on the roster.

GO BILLS!!! Freddie, good luck wherever you go unless it's the Pats.

Bills need dareus and bradham extended. Using Freddies cap space to do so was most likely a necessity. With McCoy, Dixon, and Willliams, The Bills are honestly overloaded at RB (adding in Bryce Brown). It sucks cuz I believe Freddie can still be productive, but to pay his salary to a back up (even third stringer) is not a business wise decision.

Wish Fredex all the best. He deserves it.

I had favorite players during the dark days of the late 70's and early 80's -- Bobby Chandler, Sherman White, Haslett, Smerlas -- all got caught in various forms of transition. These were guys that helped me through the dark days with some inspired play. Fred, Brian Moorman and Kyle Williams are the three that made this era of bad Bills football tolerable.

Fred -- thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are a man's man. I will miss you and if you choose to extend your career -- I hope you get the playoffs and if the Bills can't win the Lombardi -- I will be cheering my ass off for you to get a ring and to hoist the trophy.

If you choose to retire -- I am confident you have a permanent role in Buffalo. God bless!

Whaley just spoke to reporters; called it a decision that was unbelievably difficult but had the support of everyone including the Pegulas. Said he and Rex had a very emotional conversation with Fred. Release came now to allow him time to catch on somewhere else.

Sounds like it was done in as classy and respectful a way as possible.

Not good enough!

Whaley should have been forced to give him a handjob in front of the Buffalo media, and then beg his forgiveness as Freddy gets carried out of the fieldhouse on Terry Pegula's shoulders.

I had favorite players during the dark days of the late 70's and early 80's -- Bobby Chandler, Sherman White, Haslett, Smerlas -- all got caught in various forms of transition. These were guys that helped me through the dark days with some inspired play. Fred, Brian Moorman and Kyle Williams are the three that made this era of bad Bills football tolerable.

Fred -- thank you from the bottom of my heart. You are a man's man. I will miss you and if you choose to extend your career -- I hope you get the playoffs and if the Bills can't win the Lombardi -- I will be cheering my ass off for you to get a ring and to hoist the trophy.

If you choose to retire -- I am confident you have a permanent role in Buffalo. God bless!

This raises a good question.

If Fred was set to make $2.5mil-ish, and might be able to sign on with a team on a 1yr/$2mil deal...

What if instead, T-Pegs talked him into retiring and then hired him back on as an asst coach at $3mil/yr for the next 2 years?

It would put more money in Fred's pocket while clearing his cap space, and keep him off of other teams.

Could that be done?

I didn't and don't think it was. What I am saying is that it's Whaley final call, not Whaley made this particular choice and brought it up to Rex. I would imagine at this late point virtually all of the decisions are made by the coaches and brought to Whaley who discusses it with them. But he is in charge of the 53 and not Rex.

Fwiw, I think this particular thing was what Rex wanted, in discussion with Whaley and Roman over whether they wanted to keep 3-4 RB, 5-7 WR, and 3-4 TEs, and collectively they decided to let an extra RB go, which became Fred now to give him a chance to latch onto another team easier.

This is a semantic argument, I think. "In charge" implies that he made the roster decisions to get down to 53 players and that he has dominion over what 53 remain moving forward. All I can say is it just doesn't work that way; Rex and the coaches met all day and into the late evening yesterday deciding who stays or not and, if previous patterns held true, I doubt Whaley was in the conference room for most of it. That said, I don't care to argue the point any longer. Has no bearing on anything.

GO BILLS!!!

Not good enough!

Whaley should have been forced to give him a handjob in front of the Buffalo media, and then beg his forgiveness as Freddy gets carried out of the fieldhouse on Terry Pegula's shoulders.

This raises a good question.

If Fred was set to make $2.5mil-ish, and might be able to sign on with a team on a 1yr/$2mil deal...

What if instead, T-Pegs talked him into retiring and then hired him back on as an asst coach at $3mil/yr for the next 2 years?

It would put more money in Fred's pocket while clearing his cap space, and keep him off of other teams.

Could that be done?

we could hire him to the coaching staff. though we already have a RB coach.