EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

I am honestly trying to be objective.

It feels like you guys are seeing what you want to see instead of what is really happening out there. How does EJ inspire any confidence in you at all after that performance. Honestly? I don't get it. One good drive once in a while is not good enough for me. I want a QB that can move the chains and help you win the field position battle. EJ certainly didn't do that tonight. Maybe I am crazy. It seems you guys think so. I just don't see it at all. I find my faith in him as a quarterback is worse after tonight certainly not better.

I have no idea what you're looking at. It seems you have just made up your mind. You have to keep in context what we were watching tonight. The pressure, the dropped passes. EJ made several big boy throws in that game inspite of pressure and the drops. He has the best arm of the three hands down. EJ has always flashed talent. He has not been consistent. He's worth developing. EJ has led the Bills in the final moments of games of several occassions. He has also had some tire fire games. But tonight? I thought he was lights out considering the context of the talent around him. I think Kupper is a plant for whoever the weekly opponent is. It would be news if he didn't mess up.

Edited by purple haze

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, true, all on the line, and Manuel came through.

No longer is he in the 'vicinity' with his throws, no longer do players have to stop and come back to get the ball, but he hit his receivers in stride, with the ball almost always in excellent position. What can he do with the starters in there? (The Bills starters and the others team's as well. ) We need to see.

Start him next week, let him have a half and see how he does. He has outplayed Taylor and Cassel in 'actual' games, so give him a shot.

He is a very different quarterback now, yes still developing, but he looks like he is ready to take the next step and become a solid NFL starter.

He looked good consistently tonight, doing things he only did well sporadically in the past.

I don't know why Bills Nation thouht EJ woud make the Pro Bowl as a rookie. QB's and WR's take time to adjust to the pro game. I agree with the GM tho. year 3 is when you should be showing marked improvment in your performance. It's funny if people think EJ is so bad, then why isn't Simms getting any reps in these preseason games?

I agree with the OP. I understand practice and training camp time, but you got to put him on the field and give him a chance. The blocking, receivers, everything is just different when you are out there against 3rd stringers.

If Tyrod is the man, so be it. But it just doesn't feel like EJ is getting a fair shake at this point. He was our first round pick and only played a little over one season.

Besides, if it is Tyrod, then I think EJ should be the back-up as 5 mil is too much to pay a back-up.

Lol yeah get rid of Cassel so we can give that money to Marcel since he's crying.

I think his play if only in this last game warrants at least 1 quarter with the ones !

Maybe some of his offseason stuff has helped him & they will never fully know unless live bullets are flying !

God knows Marrone didn't give him a fair shake !! Good coaching is 70% of the battle, that's why our O line sucked after Joe D left !

Same folks , different teacher, totally different results !!

Give the kid a couple of series with the ones, if he looks terrible then scrap him for good !!

Edited by T master

With the game and his Bills career on the line. IMO that was my biggest takeaway from this game. EJ deserves the next preseason game start based how he finished this game.

Taylor looked pretty good, but EJ looked like what an NFL winning starting QB looks like. I don't care what the haters say, this has officially become a great and competitive QB competition.

Watching the game, that's what I said to my sister. 4th and 4, needs a touchdown, one pass for the game and most likely his career in Buffalo. No worries, EJ. :)

That's about as high pressured as it gets in preseason and all he did was zip the ball into tight coverage twice and win the game. Pretty impressive.

How can EJ be evaluated fairly when he is always playing with the second and third team offense ? He should be given a fair chance to win the job.

Every coach has there own guys and unless EJ was dominating (and he's not) TT and Cassel were/are going to be the guys. I think he should get some time but all that would do is take time away from the eventual starter.

The coaches haven't at all.

keep telling yourself that

If EJM doesn't get the start for the next preseason game I want to hear something that tells me he really wants the job.

I wanna hear that he kneed Robert Woods in the nuts, and told him to quit whining. That he barged into Ryan's office, and said " **** you, I can lead this team, and can prove it". Hear that he told Matt Cassel that he sucks during practice, or called Tyrod a p**** and they had to be separated.

Anything that would make me believe he has some kind of chip on his shoulder, or something that he has to back up. Even if it's ridiculously overcompetitive, childish and delusional.

Something that tells me he isn't just passively letting his career slip away.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The coaches see EJ every single day. There's also plenty of game film on him. He can't play, they all realize that. He's had plenty of chances and he JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Throw him on the junkpile with Losman, Edwards, and Fitzpatrick.

Perhaps, but then the same could be said about the other 2 guys. We are choosing the lesser evil here.

And Doug Flutie was a weenie.

Edited by HoF Watkins

EJ deserves more time with the first unit

He has stayed the course, was here first, has commitment to the team, has worked hard, Cassell is temporary, backup.

TT is good, EJ is good.

Start RJ the next couple of games. These injuries are killing us, we need 3 QBs.

Rex, the wonder boy, is doing EJ a great disservice, if he doesn't have the chance to be the NO 1 QB.

oh rly?

rjdewrag.jpg

I get that it's a quarterback competition, but the Bills are trying to find the QB that can win a Super Bowl, not find a man to tar and feather on the way out of town.

EJ looked good last night, and Taylor looked good last night.

It is not a zero sum game. Sometimes teams have TWO good quarterbacks, and later use one of them to reap draft picks, ala New England, or groom the heir apparent over time, ala Greg Roman with Kap in SF while Smith was the starter.

To my mind, both men have proven capable starters this preseason--in fact, EJ has the best stats of the 3, and that's playing with the third unit.

I get that this is like politics, or gambling for that matter, and people want to see their horse win the race.

But please, enough with the hyperbole that the loser of this battle "can't hack it" in the league and should be cut immediately.

It's short sighted and mean spirited. EJ and TT are both men of deep faith who do right by their friends, family, and community. They go out, play good football, and do right by the Bills.

Just enjoy the show, support the winner, and cheer like hell when the "loser" takes the field, because it was Frank Reich who led the greatest comeback in Bills history, which at the end of the day, might have been the most "successful" moment of those Super Bills teams' era.

GO BILLS!

Edited by JohnnyGold

I don't think EJ has the ability to handle the complex defenses that he would see in the regular season, as opposed to the vanilla in the preseason.

Easy enough to throw that out there with no sound reasoning. Upon what do you base this assertion? I remember him having one of his best games as a pro against the Rex Ryan defense and the NYJ in his rookie year.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

My theory as to why they played EJ was, they aren't to happy with Cassel, he's safe, won't make mistakes, but that's about it. Taylor will be the starter, so they played EJ last night to see if he's a good enough #2, if so they dump Cassels $4.5 mil contract, then use that money to make Darius happy again. Did EJ make the Bills' think they could dump Cassel, not so sure about that. EJ had some good plays, but still pelnty of EJ of old plays too. But does he give you as much as Cassel gives you, maybe??

Then why did the play him the entire second half? The media isn't making the decision in any case.

Tyrod Taylor showed everything that a winning starting QB in the NFL needs to last night. His poise and decision on 3rd down in particular was impressive and that will be crucial to the Bills being successful this season.

It's less about EJ and more about how good Tyrod Taylor is now. EJ didn't look bad last night and showed character but still made some mistakes in key moments that more times than not he'll pay for. He does deserve some game time with the 1st team and should stay on the roster as a 2nd or 3rd string. If Taylor struggles during the season either EJ or Cassell have to be ready.

I don't think EJ has the ability to handle the complex defenses that he would see in the regular season, as opposed to the vanilla in the preseason.

And what makes you think Tyrod can?

And I guess Cassel can.... I mean, just checkdown and you will always get a grade of "C" from the coach.

IF in fact it is an open competition EJ should get a start with the "starters".

Becasue he did so well against a 3rd string D?

5 pages of Anti EJ troll response to catch up on. OYE.

Meh would have been carted off on a stretcher had he played against the O Line EJ was behind.

call me a Super Fan all you want. I'm trying to be open minded and not blinded by hate

Another thing about EJ. He did make one terrible play on third down when he got sacked and fumbled although we recovered. But he threw that TD which was a great pass, he threw a pass that was flat dropped in the endzone that should have been a TD, and he threw an absolutely perfect pass in the endzone on the same drive to Davis that had the double penalty on. That was a gorgeous pass in the endzone.

EJ Flattery will only get you ridiculed by the Anti EJ crowd, but good on you for saying so! :beer:

Just ofr the fans sake? I'm pretty convinced that it did start as a fair 3-way competition, at this point, the coaches have an idea what the pecking order is. They are were given shots @ #1, now the goal is to prepare the team as best it can for the regular season, not to worry about somebody, particually the fans crying that EJ didn't get a fair shake.

Maybe EJ will start, don't know, but I do know whether he does or doesn't, it has nothing to do with it not being fair. It's everything about what makes the team best.

IF in fact it is an open competition EJ should get a start with the "starters".

Fair enough. But let me ask you this. If the Bills played EJ all day and Cleveland played Manziel all day, which team would have ended up with the most points at the end of the game?

If you honestly think the Bills would have won then I get your point. I don't see how anyone could think that. I am confident that the Bills would have lost that game by more than 7.

Seriously?

Do you remember LAST season? Johnny Futball lead the Brownies on a TD drive then collapsed !!!

Manzieling-e1418647888296.jpg

At least 2 different QB's will start games this season, if not due to suckitude, then due to injury. I hope it's Tyrod and EJM.

Matt Cassel will kill this team...he is Kelly Holcomb. If he tries to throw the ball 10 yards downfield over the middle, it's just gonna hang there and get picked. If he is the starter, I expect at least 3 Pick 6's by db's/lb's sitting on a pass to the flat. I don't want to watch that kind of football.

At least 2 different QB's will start games this season, if not due to suckitude, then due to injury. I hope it's Tyrod and EJM.

Matt Cassel will kill this team...he is Kelly Holcomb. If he tries to throw the ball 10 yards downfield over the middle, it's just gonna hang there and get picked. If he is the starter, I expect at least 3 Pick 6's by db's/lb's sitting on a pass to the flat. I don't want to watch that kind of football.

I'm one of the most passionate EJ haters and have been from the day we went nuts and traded up to draft him in round 1. Even I will admit it's possible he could be a better #2 than Cassel.

I'm one of the most passionate EJ haters and have been from the day we went nuts and traded up to draft him in round 1. Even I will admit it's possible he could be a better #2 than Cassel.

Quotes like that make it seem like you had your mind made up before he got to his first training camp.

I'm no great EJM supporter, but there isn't much else to work with. I have to trust that the coaches are making the right choice, but just from the footage that I have seen, I like EJM best, and I certainly didn't see the other guys doing anything markedly better.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Easy enough to throw that out there with no sound reasoning. Upon what do you base this assertion? I remember him having one of his best games as a pro against the Rex Ryan defense and the NYJ in his rookie year.

If he was as good as some of you are desperate to believe he is, he wouldn't have lost his job last year to a retired QB, and forced the team to pick up two QBs this year who have never been able to establish themselves as starters. He's had his chances to take the starting position but doesn't have the consistency to keep it.

When the play doesn't go perfect and he has to improvise, he's indecisive over if he should run or throw, and that's when he gets in trouble and makes bad decisions. At best it's an overthrow, at worst it's a fumble or interception.

If he was as good as some of you are desperate to believe he is, he wouldn't have lost his job last year to a retired QB, and forced the team to pick up two QBs this year who have never been able to establish themselves as starters. He's had his chances to take the starting position but doesn't have the consistency to keep it.

When the play doesn't go perfect and he has to improvise, he's indecisive over if he should run or throw, and that's when he gets in trouble and makes bad decisions. At best it's an overthrow, at worst it's a fumble or interception.

Stop listening to Sal Capaccio and who cares about what happened under the failed Marrone regime.

Fair enough. But let me ask you this. If the Bills played EJ all day and Cleveland played Manziel all day, which team would have ended up with the most points at the end of the game?

If you honestly think the Bills would have won then I get your point. I don't see how anyone could think that. I am confident that the Bills would have lost that game by more than 7.

I was at the Browns game last year...Johnny vs. our defense, I take our defense EVERY time. KW could have killed him on a sack last year.

I don't get the EJ love. One cannot take a "good" preseason performance playing with and against 3rd stringers and suggest that this somehow saws off and overshadows 14 real games of clearly mediocre performances. Obviously the coaches see it that way too.

On a good note - can you imagine pinning your hopes on McCown? - we almost did - yikes!! He looked AWFUL....dodged a bullet there...

Compared to last year we are in MUCH better shape

TT impressed last night

Tyrod Taylor showed everything that a winning starting QB in the NFL needs to last night. His poise and decision on 3rd down in particular was impressive and that will be crucial to the Bills being successful this season.

It's less about EJ and more about how good Tyrod Taylor is now. EJ didn't look bad last night and showed character but still made some mistakes in key moments that more times than not he'll pay for. He does deserve some game time with the 1st team and should stay on the roster as a 2nd or 3rd string. If Taylor struggles during the season either EJ or Cassell have to be ready.

EJ had a pass that hit the ground. Burn the witch! No unrealistic expectations here.

It must really piss off some people that EJ played well last night. It would have been so much easier if he was sacked on that fourth down play or two point conversion. Then they could just point and say "See, he sucks!"

And BTW I want TT to start. Just pointing out the silliness surrounding EJ.

I don't get the EJ love. One cannot take a "good" preseason performance playing with and against 3rd stringers.

LOL, but you sure as hell can take a bad preseason performance that way. Edited by PromoTheRobot

The best thing that could happen to this franchise is ending up with a QB competition of Tyrod vs EJ.

That would mean both are developing and showing they can be better than Cassel. That's exactly what the coaches and FO want. Cassel is our safe bet we can settle on, nothing more.

I don't know how anyone can watch the throws EJ has made, and yet ANOTHER game winning drive, and say he doesnt deserve a chance with the 1s this week.

I was also fairly impressed with Tyrod last night. I had been skeptical of the hype, and wanted to see him make real throws downfield. And he delivered. While the end zone pass to Thompson could have been a little better, I think that any of our starting 3 receivers come down with that ball.

Here's the deal Bills fans: Through 2 preseasons games, we do not have a dumpster fire at QB. We have a battle of pretty serviceable, developing QBs. That's not so bad!

Go Bills!

I don't know how anyone could watch his pre-season performances and not come away thinking he's improved.

He navigates a collapsing pocket MUCH better, and he's throwing his passes harder and sooner. His first couple years it looked like he was always thinking of not making a mistake, and kinda softly floated the ball only after seeing a WR get open. This year he's throwing a laser to a spot, and trusting his guys to make a play, and it's showing in his performances on the field.

Does this mean he should be our starter? Not necessarily. I think there's still competition to be had. But EJ is very much on the right path, and it makes me hopeful for his development. I'd like to see him with a first team squad to see if he has the same type of performance with some better players surrounding him, and playing against better players as well.

You can spin it either way... he looked better against 3rd stringers on D, or he only had the benefit of 3rd stringers at Best Buy on the OL.

Hopefully someone gives us measurements on how much time Tyrod and EJ had in the pocket. My eyes tell me EJ had zero time relative to Tyrod.

I don't know how anyone could watch his pre-season performances and not come away thinking he's improved.

He navigates a collapsing pocket MUCH better, and he's throwing his passes harder and sooner. His first couple years it looked like he was always thinking of not making a mistake, and kinda softly floated the ball only after seeing a WR get open. This year he's throwing a laser to a spot, and trusting his guys to make a play, and it's showing in his performances on the field.

Does this mean he should be our starter? Not necessarily. I think there's still competition to be had. But EJ is very much on the right path, and it makes me hopeful for his development. I'd like to see him with a first team squad to see if he has the same type of performance with some better players surrounding him, and playing against better players as well.

Hopefully someone gives us measurements on how much time Tyrod and EJ had in the pocket. My eyes tell me EJ had zero time relative to Tyrod.

I don't think EJ is in the conversation as a starter. TT cemented that spot last night. But EJ showed he is worth keeping around and keep grooming.

I honestly think we're going to see all three QBs play at some point during the regular season.

I feel like Manuel has NOT gotten a fair shake at this point...........and that is a big mistake by Rex and the coaching staff. How can you fairly evaluate him if he hasn't taken many snaps with the first team in the preseason games??

TT has been a pleasant surprise and if he keeps playing like he has that's great for the Bills, but like several of you have said, Manuel appears to have the highest ceiling of the three.

Now is the time (i.e. these next two preseason games) to find out who is the better QB between Taylor and Manuel. We know what we're going to get from Cassel. Do we really need to see anymore??

I say start Manuel next week vs the Steelers. Let him play at least a full quarter if not the entire half.

If I'm Rex I've got to truly find out which QB is going to best serve this team through the 16 game schedule and beyond.