EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

I'm trying to keep myself in check, but I'm really excited about our offensive scheme. It's got wrinkles, options, and good blocking so far. Imagine giving our defense some rest with long sustained rives :o

it was crazy, i even saw a read option play, with an actual option built into it!

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the thing with EJ is that he suffered a lack of confidence. Everyone can see that. Some just say, well, that's how he is. I always thought he ended up playing that way because he was played too early with coaches that were clueless and terrible line play. The benching by Marrone last year after a game where the offensive line was awful only made things worse.

But EJ's natural talent and new coaching has helped him start to get his groove on. EJ I feel is close. You can see how energized he was by that TD last night. I really hope this coaching staff keeps him at #2 in practice and even lets him run with the 1's for a bit. Why not let him play at least a quarter against the Steelers in the most important pre-season game?

TT has the lead for me but EJ has been closing the gap.

Edited by jeffismagic

I think the thing with EJ is that he suffered a lack of confidence. Everyone can see that. Some just say, well, that's how he is. I always thought he ended up playing that way because he was played too early with coaches that were clueless and terrible line play. The benching by Marrone last year after a game where the offensive line was awful only made things worse.

But EJ's natural talent and new coaching has helped him start to get his groove on. EJ I feel is close. You can see how energized he was by that TD last night. I really hope this coaching staff keeps him at #2 in practice and even lets him run with the 1's for a bit. Why not let him play at least a quarter against the Steelers in the most important pre-season game?

agreed, 100%

he had a couple of plays where with the first team, they wouldve been very successful.

on that throw to the goal line where the ball was back shoulder to avoid the safety coming up - it didnt look pretty and resulted in a drop but that is 6 points 10 times out of 10 with sammy, percy, woods, or clay on the receiving end, for instance, and was in a pretty good spot to allow the receiver to make a play without the defender being able to (on the ball, or crush the guy).

Totally agree...

These are really smart football minds (Ryan/Roman)...I think they fully understand EJ's potential and how Marrone pretty much derailed him...I think they are going to build him up again without putting too much undo pressure on him too early...And it seems like it's working... B-)

For those saying EJ should get a chance with the first team, then I suppose the same could be said for Matt Simms. He hasn't been given a chance to show what he could do with the first team either.

i really hate when people try to de-rail with stuff like this....

No, there were never any intentions of Matt Simms competing for a starting role, he came in strictly to fill a back-up role.

For those saying EJ should get a chance with the first team, then I suppose the same could be said for Matt Simms. He hasn't been given a chance to show what he could do with the first team either.

I was at the game last night with the kids so I left just before EJ's touchdown drive (figures!), but here's the rest of what I saw from the QB's:

Tyrod seems pretty well in control of things, very fluid and played well. Other than his legs, not sure how big of a splash he can make as a QB but IMO he's earned his shot at it. Especially with Roman as OC.

The dropoff in play of the backup O-line and D-line was scary last night. Anyone who cries about EJ throwing against 3rd stringers needs to realize the guy was under a ton of pressure every play. Our running game wasn't working either. He has noticeably improved with his accuracy and timing. Still doesn't lead receivers enough but the ball isn't 2-4 feet behind them either. He also was throwing balls before the receiver break which I hadn't seen from him before.

EJ still isn't there yet with his confidence but he's getting closer. Needs to work hard on throwing on the run. That's where a lot of accuracy issues lie because his throwing motion can be inconsistent. He was seeing the field well, didn't miss open guys that I noticed.

I think TT starts game 3 but give EJ a later series or two with the starters. After having so many meh quarterbacks I will freely admit to being biased against Cassel and would rather give these other two the playing time.

No, there were never any intentions of Matt Simms competing for a starting role, he came in strictly to fill a back-up role.

and even that might be generous in what he was brought to do. i think he was a 4th arm, a practice squad candidate and maaaaaaybe if he blows it out in practice compete for a backup.

It doesn't matter if it's 3rd stringers, what I'm looking for is accurate throws downfield. EJM put the ball where it needed to be. He had a good game.

From the start with this new coaching staff, he has been treated like a dead man walking. It's a real crappy hole to work your way out of. He is getting better, and I hope he gets more opportunities.

This is really the key and isn't getting enough thought and discussion, especially from the anti-EJ crowd. Their biggest problem with him, as well as mine (and I'm in the middle) is that he hasn't been accurate. He can't hit receivers. Well against 1st or 2nd or 3rd stringers it doesn't matter, your passes are accurate or they are not. EJ was not accurate in OTAs and early camp, but he has been accurate in the actual play. He was more accurate in the scrimmage than the other two. He was accurate against Carolina including the best pass anyone has thrown for a TD. It doesn't matter if it's against a 2 or 3 that is a perfect pass and a TD against a 1 as well. The three passes he threw into the endzone last night were great passes against anyone, and he also threw a dart on the money to the 1 yard line for a first and goal. If the main problem is accuracy and he comes out and is accurate, he's getting a lot better.

Totally agree...

These are really smart football minds (Ryan/Roman)...I think they fully understand EJ's potential and how Marrone pretty much derailed him...I think they are going to build him up again without putting too much undo pressure on him too early...And it seems like it's working... B-)

I don't know. I think they decided to pressure him by throwing him to the bottom of the pile and disrespecting him to see if he could rise to the top. B-)

Even if it's ridiculously overcompetitive, childish and delusional.

It is all those things and worse. It irritates me how guys who don't kick up a stink are always presumed to have no passion. How anyone can questio EJ's desire to fight for his Bills career after last night completely baffles me.

There was actually a past in the game thread during the 3rd quarter where someone was almost imploring him to quit on it pull himself from the game and put Simms in because it was like he was being set up to fail. But he didn't. He kept his composure went back out there and fought for his career with class, dignity and no little ability.

I am coming to the view that Tyrod Taylor should be our starting Quarterback but I just can't stop myself rooting for Manuel because the kid appears to be a fantastic young man and I love his class and professionalism.

Edited by GunnerBill

I'm one of the most passionate EJ haters and have been from the day we went nuts and traded up to draft him in round 1. Even I will admit it's possible he could be a better #2 than Cassel.

The Bills most certainly did not trade up to draft him.

People saying EJ should get a shot because its only fair are delusional. This competition was never going to be fair. Rex didnt draft EJ and there is plenty of tape on him already indicating he cant play. Add to that the practice hours which, by all indications, he has underperformed. If theyve already made he decision to no go with EJ then there is zero benefit of running him with the 1's. I think people need to get it out of their heads that this literally was a 3 man race. It became a 2 man a long time ago. The BS of "EJ got his start in the scrimmage" was just a nice way of saying he is clearly behind the other two. A couple better-than-expected showing in preseason isnt going to change that.

Edited by jletha

People saying EJ should get a shot because its only fair are delusional. This competition was never going to be fair. Rex didnt draft EJ and there is plenty of tape on him already indicating he cant play. Add to that the practice hours which, by all indications, he has underperformed. If theyve already made he decision to no go with EJ then there is zero benefit of running him with the 1's. I think people need to get it out of their heads that this literally was a 3 man race. It became a 2 man a long time ago. The BS of "EJ got his start in the scrimmage" was just a nice way of saying he is clearly behind the other two. A couple better-than-expected showing in preseason isnt going to change that.

So playing well in the preseason games and the team scrimmage isn't going to have an effect on the competition? Got it, thanks.