EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

It would only be fair to allow EJ some first team time but that's is unlikely to occur as it's pretty obvious TT will be the starter, Cassells is the veteran backup and EJ will likely be released.

the question is - are the coaches seeing enough improvement in Manuel's play, that they feel he can manage the offense at level consistent to Cassel - and what do they value most at the position.. playmaker or caretaker?

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said I took the point that there were not so many of those last night if you read my post. Look, all I am trying to say is if the staff had already set their minds against EJ Manuel then the drive at the end isn't anything that there isn't already at least some evidence of on his resume and therefore it is unlikely to be mind altering.

I was delighted for him and praised him you can find those posts in this very topic I am tying to think about it from the coaching staff's perspective.

I didn't mean to jump on you at all and you're a very good poster and fan and make good points a lot. But still, if you look at the coaches POV he was 4-8 in the Carolina game with two clear drops. That's 6-8. Rex even commented that he looked good in the game. In the scrimmage he threw a nice TD on the run after escaping, threw down the middle to Harvin with the ones, and drove the team to another FG drive, outplaying the two other guys. So I don't know why the coaches would be thinking different. And from what Rex and Roman have actually said, repeatedly, is that he is doing a good job.

Ej does NOT deserve more time with the #1's. He's not the #1. That would be counter productive.

TT is Kap#2. Let's leave like that.

EJ had his chance last year and he blew it. I understand players improve. The reality is that Ej always had flashes of being good. That's all fine and dandy. But at the end of the day he is who we know he is. Just another average qb.

QB order should be:

TT

Cassell

EJ

TT looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #1 DEFENSE.

Ej looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #3 DEFENSE.

Previous to that TD play he threw an absolutely great pass into the endzone on 4th and 14 that came back on a double penalty. Previous to he threw a great pass that was dropped in the endzone by Palmer. Then he threw a great pass on a rope that was caught for first and goal at the one. Then they ran twice and got stuffed. Then Gray jumped offsides on the one to bring it back to the five. The third down play was bad. But he had four very good ones to that one bad one and that's what some people are harping on.

its a similar spot to taylor taking that awful 3rd down sack. i think all our qbs are going to have some moments that might hurt us, but im pleasantly surprised at the volume of plays that may actually elevate the quality of the offense instead of just hoping they dont screw up.

i dont think they will be top tier, but they are playing as well as you could reasonably hope.

Ej does NOT deserve more time with the #1's. He's not the #1. That would be counter productive.

TT is Kap#2. Let's leave like that.

EJ had his chance last year and he blew it. I understand players improve. The reality is that Ej always had flashes of being good. That's all fine and dandy. But at the end of the day he is who we know he is. Just another average qb.

QB order should be:

TT

Cassell

EJ

TT looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #1 DEFENSE.

Ej looked great yesterday VS CLEVELAND #3 DEFENSE.

What happened last year under Marrone/Hackett is immaterial to what's happening in this 2015 season. Just another average QB? You talking about Cassel?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I have a really good feeling about EJ (first time I have ever said that).

If he starts the next preseason game, I think we could see his break-out game/turning point. I feel like he is on the cusp of figuring everything out.

No no no no no no nononononononononononono no no no

This is sounding like Tuel time all over again.

its a similar spot to taylor taking that awful 3rd down sack. i think all our qbs are going to have some moments that might hurt us, but im pleasantly surprised at the volume of plays that may actually elevate the quality of the offense instead of just hoping they dont screw up.

i dont think they will be top tier, but they are playing as well as you could reasonably hope.

Yep. I think Rex Roman is very happy all things considered.

What happened last year under Marrone/Hackett is immaterial to what's happening in this 2015 season.

That statement is true.

Dont you guys want to see Kapernick 2.0??? We have the QB that fits the profile. We have the 49er offensive coordinator to make it possible.

Lets stop this Ej nonsense.

That statement is true.

Dont you guys want to see Kapernick 2.0??? We have the QB that fits the profile. We have the 49er offensive coordinator to make it possible.

After your Tuel post, You cannot be taken seriously.

I 100% agree with that. I am pleased with what I have seen and crossing fingers and touching wood that the injury bug leaves us alone for the rest of the season I think 8-8 is the absolute floor with any of these three Quarterbacks and 10-6 is well within the realms of achievable with each of them.

I think the national media who have spent a lot of the offseason ragging on our Quarterback situation are going to be in for a surprise.

That statement is true.

Kaep is a big strong QB with some decision making and accuracy problems who can run with the ball too and cause huge problems for the defense. TT is a smallish, shifty guy and running QB who makes good decisions. EJ is as much like Kaep as Taylor is. Kaep is a better runner.

That statement is true.

A lot of people don't want to see Kap 2.0 or Kap, the original.

In this debate, I am pretty ambivalent. I will be okay with any of the three guys. But for some reason I find myself pulling a bit more for EJ, maybe just so he can vindicate himself.

You really have this all figured out don't you? Tuel in comparison to EJ. :lol: :lol:

Dont twist my meaning.

Last year everyone wanted Tuel over Ej. We know how that ended.

Back ups become back ups for a freaking reason.

Perfect example is Russel Wilson vs Flynn. Russel took the job.

TT took the job from Ej and Cassel.

Ej was great vs 3rd stringers. Guess what??? He better be good vs 3rd stringers. That doesnt mean he's a #1 qb. Ej is fine as back up.

Let it be. TT will take us to the promised land.

Dont twist my meaning.

Ej was great vs 3rd stringers. Guess what??? He better be good vs 3rd stringers. That doesnt mean he's a #1 qb. Ej is fine as back up.

No one wanted Tuel over EJ last year -- no one who really knows what they're watching on Sundays at least. Let's not get carried away.

Dont twist my meaning.

Who the heck in their right mind wanted that? Tuel was never worthy of an NFL roster spot. That was some sick joke by Marrone and company.