EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the coaching staff feels right now that the race is between Cassell and Taylor, then no he doesn't deserve any time with the first team offense.

Perhaps the real competition is between EJ and Cassel. Tyrod makes the team as starter if he earns it. If not, he stays as slash guy. We keep either EJ or Cassel. Rex knows what Cassel can do so he's playing EJ to see if he can cut it. Cut the loser so as to only have to keep 2 active QBs freeing up the roster spot for another WR/RB/kicking teams player.

I hope we keep all 3. After our decade + QB drought I'd hate to see us dump a guy who can actually play.

IF in fact it is an open competition EJ should get a start with the "starters".

5 pages of Anti EJ troll response to catch up on. OYE.

Meh would have been carted off on a stretcher had he played against the O Line EJ was behind.

call me a Super Fan all you want. I'm trying to be open minded and not blinded by hate

EJ Flattery will only get you ridiculed by the Anti EJ crowd, but good on for you for saying so! :beer:

sorry, I agree with your post but "good on you" has become the latest oh-so-hip 2015 saying which gives me fingernails on a chalkboard feeling; I fully admit it's a triviality which rankles me, and therefore does not necessarily mean it should rankle anyone else.

I'll get off my soapbox now and comment on my important things, like calling DirecTV to get my Season Ticket & Center Ice for free.

After reading Ryan's comments on BB.com I have a feeling EJ has already been named the starter. Here's why: Ryan said When we give EJ time I think he's terrific. Well one of EJ's knocks coming into this season was he was slow making reads and decisions

Could it be they have him running with the 3's cause Ryan Roman and Co. Know EJ will not have alot of time and be forced to make a read and fire quicker to develop him? Just a thought but I'm throwing it out there. I think they named him starter already behind closed doors.

I'm never not saying "starter" yet, but they like what they are seeing!! Wish EJ had G-Ro as a rookie!!

Perhaps the real competition is between EJ and Cassel. Tyrod makes the team as starter if he earns it. If not, he stays as slash guy. We keep either EJ or Cassel. Rex knows what Cassel can do so he's playing EJ to see if he can cut it. Cut the loser so as to only have to keep 2 active QBs freeing up the roster spot for another WR/RB/kicking teams player.

I hope we keep all 3. After our decade + QB drought I'd hate to see us dump a guy who can actually play.

Yep. Although now Rex has been asked a few different times what he is going to do and each time he has said that he is going to keep three and doesn't see any way he wouldn't.

EJ had a pass that hit the ground. Burn the witch! No unrealistic expectations here.

It must really piss off some people that EJ played well last night. It would have been so much easier if he was sacked on that fourth down play or two point conversion. Then they could just point and say "See, he sucks!"

And BTW I want TT to start. Just pointing out the silliness surrounding EJ.

LOL, but you sure as hell can take a bad preseason performance that way.

The play he had that bothered me was on the 3rd and goal...rolling out to the right with no options, knowing he still had fourth down, he still cut back into the teeth of the defense and fumbled the ball. Luckily, the ball bounced right to Gragg and ended up being a non-issue but that play could have easily lost the game.

I think EJ still hasn't had a fair evaluation and has been placed into a very difficult position. With that said, this system is perfect for him and this should have been his camp. He hasn't stepped up and in the NFL, most players only get just a few chances. He's a great guy and still has big upside but someone needs to bring him along patiently and I just don't see that with this Buffalo Bills team that wants to win now.

sorry, I agree with your post but "good on you" has become the latest oh-so-hip 2015 saying which gives me fingernails on a chalkboard feeling; I fully admit it's a triviality which rankles me, and therefore does not necessarily mean it should rankle anyone else.

I'll get off my soapbox now and comment on my important things, like calling DirecTV to get my Season Ticket & Center Ice for free.

The one that gets me is 'that said' or 'that being said.' Used so often. Allows someone to skirt around taking an actual stand on a point. Just say what you're going to say and don't dip your toe in both sides of an argument/discussion.

controlled scrimmages can be used to test the perceived weaknesses of a unit in a particular situation - it's as much about recognition as it is execution - whether it O vs D units, punt vs punt return units, or kick-off vs ko return units. good and bad decisions are reviewed, with the expectation that players recognize and make the right choice when faced with similar situation in games. you get a lot more talking points out of a scrimmage than a pre-season game, but as another already pointed out - the physical nature of a game adds an intensity factor that scrimmages usually aren't allowed to match

The play he had that bothered me was on the 3rd and goal...rolling out to the right with no options, knowing he still had fourth down, he still cut back into the teeth of the defense and fumbled the ball. Luckily, the ball bounced right to Gragg and ended up being a non-issue but that play could have easily lost the game.

I think EJ still hasn't had a fair evaluation and has been placed into a very difficult position. With that said, this system is perfect for him and this should have been his camp. He hasn't stepped up and in the NFL, most players only get just a few chances. He's a great guy and still has big upside but someone needs to bring him along patiently and I just don't see that with this Buffalo Bills team that wants to win now.

Previous to that TD play he threw an absolutely great pass into the endzone on 4th and 14 that came back on a double penalty. Previous to he threw a great pass that was dropped in the endzone by Palmer. Then he threw a great pass on a rope that was caught for first and goal at the one. Then they ran twice and got stuffed. Then Gray jumped offsides on the one to bring it back to the five. The third down play was bad. But he had four very good ones to that one bad one and that's what some people are harping on.

I'm so glad you take into account the total lack of talent around him last night.

1. Did the O-line block for the guy on most snaps?

2. Was there ANY running game?

At least TT had an O-line that blocked and opened up a couple of holes. It would only be fair to allow EJ some first team time but that's is unlikely to occur as it's pretty obvious TT will be the starter, Cassells is the veteran backup and EJ will likely be released.

Previous to that TD play he threw an absolutely great pass into the endzone on 4th and 14 that came back on a double penalty. Previous to he threw a great pass that was dropped in the endzone by Palmer. Then he threw a great pass on a rope that was caught for first and goal at the one. Then they ran twice and got stuffed. Then Gray jumped offsides on the one to bring it back to the five. The third down play was bad. But he had four very good ones to that one bad one and that's what some people are harping on.

This.

I'm so glad you take into account the total lack of talent around him last night.

1. Did the O-line block for the guy on most snaps?

2. Was there ANY running game?

At least TT had an O-line that blocked and opened up a couple of holes. It would only be fair to allow EJ some first team time but that's is unlikely to occur as it's pretty obvious TT will be the starter, Cassells is the veteran backup and EJ will likely be released.

How do you reconcile EJ will likely be released when Rex the coach constantly says he is keeping three QBs and has been very laudatory toward EJ of late?

One thing I would say is that in terms of consistency last night was not that different from what we have always seen from EJ. I am sure I will now be labelled a hater which if you know anything about my posting history is ludicrous. However, throughout EJ's career there have been these superb drives, particularly late in the game "clutch" drives that have punctuated lots of 3 and outs and inconsistency. Now I take the point that the accuracy of the throws he made in that drive last night was probably greater than what he has demonstrated at times previously and there were 3 nice throws into the endzone in total and I take the point that the really poor throws were not so much there last night before that drive it was more a case that his line was getting him killed.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the knock on EJ Manuel has always been his ability to consistently accurate, not his ability to get hot for a series and put together great drives. He has done that before and so whether that drive is sufficient to change the minds of the staff I am less sure.

I'd like to see the kid get a shot with the 1s because as I say he is a guy you just have to root for.

Good stuff from Bills website:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/21/fan-friday-8-21-2/

Fan Friday:

From Chris Brown- "I asked and Rex Ryan confirmed for me that they intend to keep three quarterbacks on their roster. I believe Ryan likes EJ as a quarterback and I think the organization feels there is still some ceiling to be reached by him as an NFL QB."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2015/08/21/some-teammate-praise-for-manuel/

"Andre Davis who caught Manuel’s touchdown pass on fourth and goal was taken by Manuel’s cool persona during the most stressful part of the game.

“He was real poised, man,” said Davis. “He’s just a real calm, cool, collected guy. He was very poised and he said we were going to make it happen at the beginning of the drive and he went down there and drove, and made it happen like he said he would.”

One thing I would say is that in terms of consistency last night was not that different from what we have always seen from EJ. I am sure I will now be labelled a hater which if you know anything about my posting history is ludicrous. However, throughout EJ's career there have been these superb drives, particularly late in the game "clutch" drives that have punctuated lots of 3 and outs and inconsistency. Now I take the point that the accuracy of the throws he made in that drive last night was probably greater than what he has demonstrated at times previously and there were 3 nice throws into the endzone in total and I take the point that the really poor throws were not so much there last night before that drive it was more a case that his line was getting him killed.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the knock on EJ Manuel has always been his ability to consistently accurate, not his ability to get hot for a series and put together great drives. He has done that before and so whether that drive is sufficient to change the minds of the staff I am less sure.

I'd like to see the kid get a shot with the 1s because as I say he is a guy you just have to root for.

He was 9-14. One of the five misses was a TD drop right in his hands by Palmer. One of his five misses was a drop by Lewis over the middle. One of his five misses was a bad pass but also a drop by Connor. One of them was a throwaway when he was being chased. Where are all these inaccurate passes before the last drive.

He was 9-14. One of the five misses was a TD drop right in his hands by Palmer. One of his five misses was a drop by Lewis over the middle. One of his five misses was a bad pass but also a drop by Connor. One of them was a throwaway when he was being chased. Where are all these inaccurate passes before the last drive.

I have said I took the point that there were not so many of those last night if you read my post. Look, all I am trying to say is if the staff had already set their minds against EJ Manuel then the drive at the end isn't anything that there isn't already at least some evidence of on his resume and therefore it is unlikely to be mind altering.

I was delighted for him and praised him you can find those posts in this very topic I am tying to think about it from the coaching staff's perspective.