Powell carted off field! - Torn ACL out for season

KDIGGZ

Ty Powell just got carted off the field during 11 on 11's. Seems to be in a lot of pain. Not good

As per Rex, it looks like it might be a torn ACL which would mean an end to his season

dang another one, We did so well with injuries last year. Did they change the strength and conditioning program?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this can be attributed to a mysterious cosmic energy that consumes the universe, but, for the time being, has fixated on Pittsford, NY, specifically on the professional football team called the Buffalo Bills, which is currently training there.

Yep. That's it.

I am not a rocket surgeon, but I studied under masters of physics in the shoutbox.

It is all about barometric pressure.

Certain injuries maybe, but ligaments? I don't think so.

My soccer club Arsenal appointed an American conditioning expert 12 months ago who had worked with the German National Team before that - Shad Forsythe - who says that is about training movements and not muscles. I don't know the science behind it but we suffered fewer ligament injuries last year than the 2 or 3 years before.

I read this book awhile back and it had a section on preventing knee injuries

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/products/rock-iron-steel-steve-justa

My soccer club Arsenal appointed an American conditioning expert 12 months ago who had worked with the German National Team before that - Shad Forsythe - who says that is about training movements and not muscles. I don't know the science behind it but we suffered fewer ligament injuries last year than the 2 or 3 years before.

Neither of these regimens are widespread in pro sports because there are always quite a few knee injuries despite most athletes being in excellent condition. In football, when you have collisions happening at such high speeds or put the body in high stress change of direction situations, injuries are just part of the deal.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Wasn't IK the intended replacement for Wynn?

No Wynn is an interior lineman and IK is an outside rusher. I thought Wynn was their best reserve lineman they had last year. Didn't miss a beat when he came in to give the starters a breather. That injury really hurt the depth of D line. The depth on the D line was a key to Buffalo's defense. I hope they can find someone who can replace him adequately. I don't have any confidence in Alex Carrington. He had one good year but when he left for more money he stunk. He couldn't even get in hardly any plays on his new team. He stunk there so maybe he was just a one year wonder. We have to hope Corbin Bryant's injury isn't very serious. We really need him now that Wynn is out for the year.

i still don't understand why nike or underarmour can't design a comfortable light weight knee brace that wouldn't hinder normal movement. It doesn't have to be a bulky thing made out of steel - I would think they could use modern technology and strong light weight materials to make it as non-obtrusive as wearing a knee pad. You would just wear it like any other pad just for protection and as a preventative measure.

Edited by stevewin

nothing sucks more than pre-season injuries

Why does everyone tear ACLs today? Is it just me or is this more common than it used to be?

When I was growing up watching the NFL you almost never heard of ACL tears (or I was just not paying close enough attention).

Now every time a guy goes down it's for the whole freaking season.

Why does everyone tear ACLs today? Is it just me or is this more common than it used to be?

When I was growing up watching the NFL you almost never heard of ACL tears (or I was just not paying close enough attention).

different guys heal at different rates but In the NFL they are usually out all year because of the risk of coming back too soon and the money involved. The best decision for the long term even if they think a guy can come back earlier isn't worth it. Otoh there is a freshman DL at Ohio state who tore his ACL playing basketball in March, and he is already back and practicing. He was running in June. 18 year olds heal faster I guess but that's crazy. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think people are just trying to be (or at least sound) more technical than they used to.

Now

"Could be an ACL or MCL"

Dehydrated

Hypothermic

Concussed

Then

"hurt his knee"

Thirsty

Cold

"Got his bell rung"

I think a lot of it is probably related to the amount of load these knees need to take. These guys are heavier and faster. It just takes one cut/stop that your Quad says "too much Ill pass on this one" for a catastrophic knee tear.

i still don't understand why nike or underarmour can't design a comfortable light weight knee brace that wouldn't hinder normal movement. It doesn't have to be a bulky thing made out of steel - I would think they could use modern technology and strong light weight materials to make it as non-obtrusive as wearing a knee pad. You would just wear it like any other pad just for protection and as a preventative measure.

the players already refuse to wear more than the league mandated minimum in so many cases.... i suspect you wouldnt see many adopt extra, just like they havent adopted other safety measures.

These injuries are much more common in TC/preseason, it seems. Has to be a conditioning issue.

id suspect a volume of players, and volume of fast action practice issue. come regular season you have half as many guys, and off days, travel days, very little contact in practice etc....

the players already refuse to wear more than the league mandated minimum in so many cases.... i suspect you wouldnt see many adopt extra, just like they havent adopted other safety measures.

id suspect a volume of players, and volume of fast action practice issue. come regular season you have half as many guys, and off days, travel days, very little contact in practice etc....

True, but you would think that as the season wears these guy sdown, they would be more prone to these injuries.

I think they don't show up in great shape because the are allowed to train as little or as much as they like in the off season.

Neither of these regimens are widespread in pro sports because there are always quite a few knee injuries despite most athletes being in excellent condition. In football, when you have collisions happening at such high speeds or put the body in high stress change of direction situations, injuries are just part of the deal.

No it isn't widespread I agree I was just adding something to the discussion. I was a skeptic when he first arrived but he has definitely reduced ligament injuries since arriving. Might be coincidence I don't know.

I remember meeting a guy about 15 years ago who was a pro bowl o lineman for the pats in the 80's...he was 6 4 and said his playing weight was around 240 at guard. Could you imagine now? these guys are huge and and the pressure on those tendons are that much more stressed so they pop more often. I'm not a dr but i stayed at a holiday inn

The Red Bryant tryout peaked my attention. He is only just over a year removed from being on a Superbowl Champion and he got a decent deal from Jacksonville last offseason. He was a disappointment there but for a cheap deal he would fit right in as another of those versatile D-Line pieces that might go some way to negating the Wynn loss. I know he isn't as much of a pass rusher as such but he might allow you to move other guys around him.

Damn. It was all starting to come together for him

Yeah, so unfortunate. This year could legitimately have changed the entire course of his career/life. I just hope he's able to come back and pick up where he was instead of fading into obscurity and out of the league because of bad luck.

Yeah, so unfortunate. This year could legitimately have changed the entire course of his career/life. I just hope he's able to come back and pick up where he was instead of fading into obscurity and out of the league because of bad luck.

Yep. Sucks.

I think quite a few of us were looking forward to him settling in at the position behind Brown

yes now it might be time to freak out! :(

Alrighty then!