Bills you no longer like after meeting them in person

major

I went to patriot camp (very under cover) with a season ticket holder when i was stationed out in Cape Cod.......my first time at something like that so I was schooled.....dont ask for autographs like a little kid......be polite....etc etc.

Curtis Martin was our version of Freddie Jackson.......the definition of class act got to talk to him for a while......there were 3-4 players that were total jerks to everybody.

Later that year my wife's catering company did a gig out at Kraft's house.....I went a little later and helped them break down the equipment.

- Those same players were cool as hell

- Kraft is a big tipper

Anyone who posted a story of seeing a Bill or non Bill in a public place and walking up to them and asking politely for a pic or an autograph or friendly talking some Bills stuff...

Now think about the fact 842 people saw them out in public that day. And it's every day. And even the ones not approaching are staring and pointing and talking.

Wow.

I guess you have a point

I just figured that if they dont like signing autographs they should look at the profession they signed up for where they are admired by fans

CBF

they signed up to play football, for a large paycheck. being admired by fans my be considered a drawback for some of the guys. just because you choose the career doesnt mean you love every piece of it.

as a fan and collector i think you are projecting your own interests onto the interactions.

Glenn Parker stole my pen at a Bisons game once after giving me an autograph.

I went to an autograph session at K-Mart for Tim Connelly a few years back. He of course signed autographs, took pictures etc because he had to. But he couldn't have given off any more of a "I'm just here so I don't get fined" attitude. Not one smile or anything in a picture.

Anyone who posted a story of seeing a Bill or non Bill in a public place and walking up to them and asking politely for a pic or an autograph or friendly talking some Bills stuff...

Now think about the fact 842 people saw them out in public that day. And it's every day. And even the ones not approaching are staring and pointing and talking.

but...but...but....they owe it all to the fans!!!!

It's funny because we all have times we end up being short with friends, family - wife or kids, (you know people we love and care about) but if they are short with a fan it can turn into a decades long story told hundreds of times. Folks just need to manage expectations a bit. Dudes on 3 kinds of pain medication, it's a miracle he's walking but is listed healthy on the injury report or just finished a long practice session in the heat or could just be introverted and totally overwhelmed by stardom and some expect them to be gracious and jovial 100% of the time. I can't commit to that myself a lot of days.

Met Ralph Wilson once just a few years before he passed. He was hanging out at one of the real seedy strip clubs off of Lundy's Lane- like not the Sundowner. Anyway he rolled in with a bunch of other real old guys and they were really yuckin it up. I'm talkin grabbing and pinching the strippers' asses, etc. They were getting warned by the bouncers but Ralph was quick to pull out the "do you know who I am?" card and soon after, a manager came over and pretty much told the bouncers to let it slide unless he got overly belligerent. Anyway later that night, Ralph found himself in one of those real pathetic situations where he overextended himself with the lapdances and the stripper had to walk with him to the ATM and hover over him while he took out the cash. Evidently he was insisting that he only got like four dances and the stripper said he got six. So eventually he took out $100, flung it in the stripper's general direction and said, "listen sweetheart, I'm used to dealing with dames four times your age and I aint getting into it with you. You can take it or leave it" and then he blew a cloud of smoke from his cigar right in her face. It's funny too because he sounded like a guy straight out of an old movie from the 40's or something. Anyway fortunately his buddies grabbed him before there was much of altercation with the bouncers but they walked him out right then and there. I had the privilege of talking with him outside after the incident- I actually bought him a hot dog from one of the vendors outside after one of his buddies bummed me a Players. Ralph was wasted and all disheveled, untucked, etc. (he'd been drinking Scotch all night long) but he talked about how much he loved the Bills and he thanked me for being a fan and supporting the team. The guys turned out to be his tennis buddies- they were a riot and said that they'd been frequenting strip clubs with Ralph for 40 years. Anyway he passed away shortly after that and I never got a chance to meet him again. I'll never forget that night.

I kept waiting for a punch line....but I'm starting to think this was a serious post...This really happened!?

I kept waiting for a punch line....but I'm starting to think this was a serious post...This really happened!?

Wasn't RW incoherent for the last 2 years of his life?

Do you still have the ring?

I wish, He has little sausage fingers, thing was huge.

Not that they owe anything to the fans, but they do owe a little bit of respect as human beings.

I wish, He has little sausage fingers, thing was huge.

Not that they owe anything to the fans, but they do owe a little bit of respect as human beings.

Respect is a two way street. How respectful is it of fans to chase them down, bother them while they're eating dinner, drinking a beer, or sometimes taking a piss?

when I was a kid I was (regrettably) waiting for Rob Johnson's autograph at training camp. he ignored us and walked right on by and hopped on a golf cart and took off without signing a single autograph. my cousin said "what a jerk!" and John Fina was standing right there and said "Excuse me? You better shut your mouth!" we deserved it but that was the only negative experience I've had with a player.

I've seen a bunch of the guys out around town over the years (Jim, Thurman, Bruce, Andre, Eric Moulds, Darryl Talley, Fred, etc) and they were all nice enough. If you aren't a jerk to them and demanding they do this or that for you then all will be well. if you are in their face bothering them and demanding a picture and autograph then I can see why they might give you some attitude. at the end of the day they are just regular people trying to live their lives

Yes, he had a bunch of tennis buddies, I was tight with a guy who played (tennis) with them occasionally. Likely all the high living caused his premature death at age 94. :D

See, if I saw Jim Kelly or Thurman or Bruce while I was out the last thing I'd do is walk up to them and do the "I'm a BIG fan" nonsense. I'd probably say "let me buy you a beer" or something like that.

And then there would be an awkward silence because we're not in a bar, so I'd have to excuse myself to run to the convenience store and pick up a six-pack, then hurry back and hope they haven't left yet.

But I damn sure wouldn't ask for an autograph.

Starting with the 60's Bills...My Dad was the Real Estate guy of record for the Bills, so he knew most of them. He always said Cookie was a hoot!

Ed Rutkowski used to read bedtime stories to my brother and I, taking time out from cocktail parties. Met Al Bemiller a few years ago, a real nice guy. He really appreciated the Bills Yearbooks ('63-66) DVD I copied for him.

Jack Kemp showed my brother and I around the Capitol Bldg. in DC in 1974. He was really nice to us.

Met JD Hill at an autograph session at a Super Duper in 1973, nice enough. He had a pink Cadillac.

Met Ralph and Bill Polian at a Monday Quarterback Club event at the Aud in '92, I shook Ralph's hand and thanked him for keeping the Bills in Buffalo. They were both really nice and gracious. Thurman and Bruce were at the event, but I was too chickensh%#t to approach them.

Pat Lafontaine signed/dedicated a book he wrote to me as a fellow Brain Injury survivor.

Any 49er fans out there (I grew up there, mostly). HoFer Bob Sinclair owned a liquor store in my neighborhood, so I met him a bunch- really nice. TE from the 60's Monty Stickles was a booze rep I met a bunch of times. Freddy Soloman was nice and signed an autograph. Ran into Bubba Paris at a BBQ restaurant in San Bruno- really nice and I thanked him for the Super Bowls.

This is our year...Go Bills!

See, if I saw Jim Kelly or Thurman or Bruce while I was out the last thing I'd do is walk up to them and do the "I'm a BIG fan" nonsense. I'd probably say "let me buy you a beer" or something like that.

And then there would be an awkward silence because we're not in a bar, so I'd have to excuse myself to run to the convenience store and pick up a six-pack, then hurry back and hope they haven't left yet.

true story. I never understood why some scribbly lines on a piece of paper mean anything to anyone. who cares? no they don't want to give you an autograph or take a picture with you or listen to you yap about how you are their biggest fan. and they aren't zoo animals so stop staring at them. be cool, buy them a beer, offer them your wife, keep it moving

true story. I never understood why some scribbly lines on a piece of paper mean anything to anyone. who cares? no they don't want to give you an autograph or take a picture with you or listen to you yap about how you are their biggest fan. and they aren't zoo animals so stop staring at them. be cool, buy them a beer, offer them your wife, keep it moving

On the other hand, you occasionally get the famous person who cops the attitude "Don't you know who I am? Aren't you going to ask for my autograph?" Uh...no. 'Cause I don't give a ****.

I once met a well-known comic who shall remain nameless. Just to be different, I asked him if he wanted my autograph. He was...unamused (probably thought I was mocking him, when I was mocking the concept of autographs.)

On the other hand, you occasionally get the famous person who cops the attitude "Don't you know who I am? Aren't you going to ask for my autograph?" Uh...no. 'Cause I don't give a ****.

I once met a well-known comic who shall remain nameless. Just to be different, I asked him if he wanted my autograph. He was...unamused (probably thought I was mocking him, when I was mocking the concept of autographs.)

Well known comics are famously unfunny when in public. There are exceptions of course, but it's a commonly held belief around here.

Most of the posts are stories of fans wanting something from these people.

I don't want to engage with anyone (famous or not) in an unnatural way, it puts them on guard. The only times I have interacted with famous people, it has always been in regards to mundane situations like opening a door, excusing myself to reach for the sugar...that kind of stuff. Unless they are playing "do you know who I am?", just leave them alone.

Surprised by this.Met John a couple times and he was a very nice guy.

it was late the first time I met him and he just got finished calling a lousy preseason game the second time so that may have had something to do with it.

The first few times I met the CEO of my former job I thought he was a jerk until I actually had a chance to sit down and work with him. It came up during a convo and he apologized. He said he has a lot on his mind and was thinking over some things and didn't realize how he comes across to others.

not sure if this is true but my dad has told this story a few times about jim. It was late 80s and My dad and a few of his construction buddies are in a bar and Jim Kelly walks in and sits at the other end of the bar. My dad isn't a big football fan but he recognized jim. My dad orders another round for his buddies and says and whatever mr. Kelly is drinking. Jim looks over and says I don't need your fing money.

He is a tough one to judge. I've been around him since 90 when my uncle won a trip to his camp and Jim called my grandmas house to invite my uncle back the next year. My uncle has visited his camp every year since. I have seen the good sides of him and the bad over the years. I think a lot of it was maturity and he has become a much more mature person over the years and then he was hit with cancer and it humbled him. I love the guy for everything he does for my uncle but the bad I have seen him do made me hesitant.

Edited by kr632

Well known comics are famously unfunny when in public. There are exceptions of course, but it's a commonly held belief around here.

I've always suspected that well known comics hate being out in public because the immediate expectation is that everything they do or say has to be funny. That's a lot of pressure.

I don't feel sorry for them or anything, but I can understand the perspective.

"You know, that guy wasn't funny at all."

"Well, he was only ordering a cup of coffee."

"Still..."

Edited by eball

I've always suspected that well known comics hate being out in public because the immediate expectation is that everything they do or say has to be funny. That's a lot of pressure.

"Still..."

This actually wasn't "out in public." He was doing a show and had just finished, and I was working security at the back door. I'd actually just rescued him from a truly annoying fan who was explaining to him how to tell a joke and break in to stand-up ("Mr X, your car is ready.")

"Still..."

"Make people laugh? Geez, that's a lot of pressure. Why are comics always put on the spot like this? You wouldn't go up to Meryl Streep and say, 'Make me cry!' You wouldn't go up to French philosopher Jean-François Lyotard and say, 'Make me cognizant of the impact postmodernity has had on the human condition!' You just wouldn't.

Besides, humor is too subjective. For instance, I would think it's hilarious if Ben Affleck were eviscerated by peacocks. But would Ben think it's funny? Most likely not. See what I mean?

Plus, if you want to be really funny... well, you just can't do it in 250 words. Because humor needs to build. You need a little subtext. I mean, for crying out loud, Tolstoy's War And Peace doesn't even start to get funny until around page 712.

And who do you people think you are, anyway? You think you can just snap your fingers, and I'm going to be funny... on demand?

Look, I am not your monkey boy!"

-"Weird Al" Yankovic

Two vicarious stories: my old man and his friend were at Batavia downs and ran into Jim haslett and Fred smerlas. Old man's friend gave haslett the winning horse on a trifecta bet and haslett, after picking this 250 lb friend up like he was a feather and dancing around, bought beers the rest of the night.

Two: near empty bar on the south side and my uncle was making fun of jack Kemp's strangely high voice. Kemp was, I think, our representative at the time or maybe just prior to that. My uncle hears a guy at the end of the bar say "I don't think his voice is that high" in an exaggerated high voice. The guy was jack Kemp. Again, many hours of beers and positive experience.

Note that no autographs were requested. Just living.

Edited by billsintaiwan

How about two Bills that you really didn't want to meet.

1986- Jimbo and Greg Bell shared a condo in East Amherst. They always left the garage door open. We (myself and a fellow degenerate friend) hit that place 4 or 5 times that Summer cleaning out the frig, scoring cases of beer and bottles of champagne and vodka each time. I'm sure we would have caught a beating if they caught us, but all that really happened was the cops telling us to quiet down when we were singing Elvis songs too loud on the playground.

Ah.....youth.

That was all Jimbo's then. Because I remember an interview with him in the paper - talking about what they were an odd couple that got along. He said I like my beer - and Greg doesn't drink.

Two vicarious stories: my old man and his friend were at Batavia downs and ran into Jim haslett and Fred smerlas. Old man's friend gave haslett the winning horse on a trifecta bet and haslett, after picking this 250 lb friend up like he was a feather and dancing around, bought beers the rest of the night.

Gabe Northern dropped by the Hammer lot a couple of years ago after a game. Spent a good deal of time picking people up like they were feathers, must be a football thing.

Edited by driddles