Rex Ryan on Rich Eisen Show 6/15

Rich asked him about his "no Lebron at QB" comment. Rex said that we don't have a #1, 2, or 3 guy in the league but we have capable guys.

Rich asked if Tyrod Taylor had a chance to start. Rex said "absolutely!". All three guys have had their moments.

Asked if this was the best offensive team that he has had. He said that he wasn't sure and cited the offensive line when he arrived at the Jets.

Stated that he hasn't seen some guys on the field yet due to injury (Sammy, Gilmore, Leodis) but we are a very good team without them and they will only make us that much better.

Asked about who he was surprised by on the roster. He aaid Jerry Hughes. Said the defensive line is all Pro Bowlers and he is as good as any of them. Also said they have a "little guy" named Nickell Robey who can flat out play.

Said that Gilmore will take a huge jump up this year and that he has been impressed with Bradham.

Asked about corners switching off on the top receiver or staying on their side. Mentioned Revis was the best ever at that but took the opportunity to say Gilmore will be in that conversation this year.

Excited about Darby. Said the big knock was that no one threw on him in college and said there was a reason for that and they were glad to get him in the second round.

Me too. That will happen when we actually have a good football coach who can recognize good football players. Amazing how that works.

Pettine, Schwartz, Ryan.......I think all the coaches have liked him

Pettine, Schwartz, Ryan.......I think all the coaches have liked him

He definitely didn't fit as well in Schwartz's D, though. I think we'll have fun watching Robey wreak havoc this season.

Robey manages to impress every year.

From the last three years, I've heard the exact same thing about Robey at this time:

"Wow, he has such a high motor and such great ball skills. It's too bad about his size, and we have so many talented players in the secondary..."

And he keeps kicking ass. I'm a little surprised that we seem surprised. With spread offenses and people going pass happy, is it really a shock that we want to have a counter to the Tavon Austin/Wes Welker/Amendola slot receivers that high powered offenses love?

From the last three years, I've heard the exact same thing about Robey at this time:

"Wow, he has such a high motor and such great ball skills. It's too bad about his size, and we have so many talented players in the secondary..."

And he keeps kicking ass. I'm a little surprised that we seem surprised. With spread offenses and people going pass happy, is it really a shock that we want to have a counter to the Tavon Austin/Wes Welker/Amendola slot receivers that high powered offenses love?

i think it's just because technically he is small and slow for the NFL and went undrafted. But all he does is make plays- especially when he is utilized per his strengths. There are certain things he can't do like cover on the outside or win a one on one matchup with a huge WR, but that's where coaching comes in. It's all about matchups. Put the guys in position to make plays.

i think it's just because technically he is small and slow for the NFL and went undrafted. But all he does is make plays- especially when he is utilized per his strengths. There are certain things he can't do like cover on the outside or win a one on one matchup with a huge WR, but that's where coaching comes in. It's all about matchups. Put the guys in position to make plays.

I know he has physical limitations, but I would imagine that his body of work up until now would have silenced some doubts.

I know he has physical limitations, but I would imagine that his body of work up until now would have silenced some doubts.

i haven't heard any doubts from Bills fans, but I don't think many know who he is outside of that. Other than Tannehill, that is...

Maybe in straight away speed, but he closes fast! A testament to his great anticipation as well.

I love that he loves Robey!!

no kidding. he is not often getting repped here on the boards.

Kid is awesome really! loved watching him from game one. and to make up for height the kid jumps at the right times, understanding of ball trajectory and momentum

Gotta love Rex. He's a straight shooter. It's nice to have him on our side.

He's the best HC we've had since M. Levy. Given time, he may surpass Levy.

Well, he may surpass Levy. I hope he does. But so far Rex has been somewhere between "pretty good" to "downright awful" as a head coach. He's humorous and the press and fans love him. But he has yet to prove himself in the top job. Hopefully, like some before him, he learns from his first stint and improves with the Bills. But at the moment, he isn't even in the same conversation as Wade as a head coach.

Edited by The Dean

Rich asked him about his "no Lebron at QB" comment. Rex said that we don't have a #1, 2, or 3 guy in the league but we have capable guys.

Rich asked if Tyrod Taylor had a chance to start. Rex said "absolutely!". All three guys have had their moments.

Asked if this was the best offensive team that he has had. He said that he wasn't sure and cited the offensive line when he arrived at the Jets.

Stated that he hasn't seen some guys on the field yet due to injury (Sammy, Gilmore, Leodis) but we are a very good team without them and they will only make us that much better.

Asked about who he was surprised by on the roster. He aaid Jerry Hughes. Said the defensive line is all Pro Bowlers and he is as good as any of them. Also said they have a "little guy" named Nickell Robey who can flat out play.

Said that Gilmore will take a huge jump up this year and that he has been impressed with Bradham.

Asked about corners switching off on the top receiver or staying on their side. Mentioned Revis was the best ever at that but took the opportunity to say Gilmore will be in that conversation this year.

Excited about Darby. Said the big knock was that no one threw on him in college and said there was a reason for that and they were glad to get him in the second round.

Thanks for the summary. Rex's answer about the LeBron remark was pretty good.

Thank you for taking the time to summarize. Much appreciated!

Am I the only one here who is sick and tired of hearing Rex talk?

Is he on a media tour or something? Dont you have actual work to do, Rex? It seems like I hear from him more than all other coaches combined.

Its starting to feel like he's a Kardashian - famous just for being famous. He hasnt actually accomplished much lately.

Not trying to be a hater here, but dood, why dont you shut up and do some actual work.

Is he on a media tour or something? Dont you have actual work to do, Rex? It seems like I hear from him more than all other coaches combined.

Its starting to feel like he's a Kardashian - famous just for being famous. He hasnt actually accomplished much lately.

Not trying to be a hater here, but dood, why dont you shut up and do some actual work.

not sure if you listened to it, but Eisen is having guests on all week in special tribute to Father's Day. Dads/sons in sports, so the show probably requested the 5 minutes of his time. Rex talked about his dad's 8 bouts with cancer, how he supported him and his brother, and his own son at Clemson. Jim Kelly will be on the same show tomorrow.

Longing for the Jauron days I see.

Perhaps he is such a great coach that he can do his "actual work" and still drawn media attention to himself and off the players.....

hmmmmmmmm

Perhaps.

And perhaps he is on cruise-control, because his retirement is set from the Pegulas. He is in the bonus round.

Truly, I'm not trying to hate. But I hear Marvin Lewis, Gus Bradley, Bruce Arians, Pete Carroll, like once a month.

I dont think Rexy is doing 5 interviews per week, just to take the heat off the QB situation. I'd prefer to hear less Rex, and more showing of the Baby.

Just sayin.

Perhaps.

And perhaps he is on cruise-control, because his retirement is set from the Pegulas. He is in the bonus round.

Truly, I'm not trying to hate. But I hear Marvin Lewis, Gus Bradley, Bruce Arians, Pete Carroll, like once a month.

I dont think Rexy is doing 5 interviews per week, just to take the heat off the QB situation. I'd prefer to hear less Rex, and more showing of the Baby.

Just sayin.

You were probably upset that he cancelled a few OTAs for bowling, air soft and Jim kelly golf tournament too

It's June. Otherwise known as the off season.

It's the offseason and camps are starting....ESPN, NFL Network...etc...these are sports networks that cover the NFL and this is what they do. They love talking to Ryan because he gives great interviews. You have a choice.............don't listen....do some actual work....really?

Perhaps.

Just sayin.

Get off my lawn! Talk is cheap !

Part of his job is talking to the media. Don't let that get in the way of a good rant, though.

Perhaps.

Just sayin.

"Dood" -- are you serious? The Bills have a charismatic coach for the first time in how long and this is a problem for you? You imply Rex isn't "working" because he's available to the media?

Some serious naivete going on here -- and it's JUNE. Chill out.

Gotta love Rex. He's a straight shooter. It's nice to have him on our side.

He's the best HC we've had since M. Levy. Given time, he may surpass Levy.

Levy had a Jim Kelly. I hope Rex gets one half as good as Kelly and he will definitely do better than Marv

That is a genuinely excellent interview, not just his discussion of the Bills but his discussion of the challenges of being an NFL Head Coach and a father as well. Rex comes across really well and I am a fan of Rich Eisen - I think he is a very capable sports anchor and interviewer.