A interesting take on Tyrod by Joe Redemann

tyrod taylor will not be the bills starting qb.

that means when the bills string together a couple of losses in 2015, fans will seize the opportunity to assume his absence from the lineup confirms their ongoing suspicion: any coach in bills colors is thereby a bumbling lummox.

That is not interesting. That sounds like the guy never saw him play.

Just trying to share both side of the Tyrod analysis. Interesting doesn't mean I agree with it. Just enjoyed his perspective.

News broke early this week that head coach Rex Ryan of the Buffalo Bills had mentioned that he tried to trade for Taylor

Wait, this Joe guy just heard that news? He lost credibility from the start. And his writing style sucks.

Yeah...this article isn't really great analysis.

His premise is that because Tyrod hasn't done anything behind Joe Flacco, and that no one has expected to do anything, he couldn't do anything.

I'm not saying he's wrong in his conclusion, but how he gets there makes no sense.

" And for those of you who love odd contract quirks, get this: if Taylor plays over 50% of the snaps in 2015 or 2016, the contract actually voids. I dont know about you, but if I had a lot of faith in a player, I wouldnt find ways to write void clauses into his contract."

This part didn't make sense at all. Maybe, just maybe, TT asked for this clause to be put into his contract just in case he plays extremely well and wants a bigger deal.

The untalked about elephant in the room

It is sooooo hard to find a NFL franchise QB

- Most drafted dont work out

- Teams that have one do NOT trade them

So what do you do.......to me this falls under the "leave no stone unturned" thing

- Was the most successfull QB coming out of that school since Michael Vick (and say what you want about Michael Vick the player....there WAS a time in the NFL when he was a hot commodity)

- Was a winner in college

- The athletic measurables (besides height) are off the chart

The thing we dont know.......with only 40 NFL passes......can he actually play QB?

All I want is a QB that will not turn the ball over......move the chains for that first down where it by his arm or his feet.......not get hurt......and make the RIGHT decision when he has NFL defenders bearing down on him.

Who knows.....maybe the kid has the unexplained....unobtainable....."IT FACTOR" to him

The untalked about elephant in the room

It is sooooo hard to find a NFL franchise QB

- Most drafted dont work out

- Teams that have one do NOT trade them

So what do you do.......to me this falls under the "leave no stone unturned" thing

- Was the most successfull QB coming out of that school since Michael Vick (and say what you want about Michael Vick the player....there WAS a time in the NFL when he was a hot commodity)

- Was a winner in college

- The athletic measurables (besides height) are off the chart

The thing we dont know.......with only 40 NFL passes......can he actually play QB?

All I want is a QB that will not turn the ball over......move the chains for that first down where it by his arm or his feet.......not get hurt......and make the RIGHT decision when he has NFL defenders bearing down on him.

Who knows.....maybe the kid has the unexplained....unobtainable....."IT FACTOR" to him

Exactly. I think at this point, an out of the box idea like Tyrod is great for the Bills. Give him a shot and let's see this preseason what he can do. He was a great college player and is an athletic freak. Stranger things have happened.

Best case scenario is he wins the job and you have another playmaker in your offense who is still young.

" And for those of you who love odd contract quirks, get this: if Taylor plays over 50% of the snaps in 2015 or 2016, the contract actually voids. I dont know about you, but if I had a lot of faith in a player, I wouldnt find ways to write void clauses into his contract."

This part didn't make sense at all. Maybe, just maybe, TT asked for this clause to be put into his contract just in case he plays extremely well and wants a bigger deal.

I was going to post the same thing. His last line about this clause is backwards as it is obviously in there for the player and really has nothing to do about faith in the player from the team's perspective.

I'm not arguing about Tyrod's potential to be a starter or not but this article didn't seem well thought out at all.

His contract is fair and makes good sense for both the player and the team. If he emerges as a starter this year or next, he'd deserve a raise the next season. That's what he'd get with the contract. That raise does not need to be defined now. His level of play would dictate that.

His contract is fair and makes good sense for both the player and the team. If he emerges as a starter this year or next, he'd deserve a raise the next season. That's what he'd get with the contract. That raise does not need to be defined now. His level of play would dictate that.

I know this is total pipe at this point

but what if Tyrod actually ended up being decent.....the bills sign him to a modest contract due to lack of prior production.

Now you are in Seattle territory of not paying a QB.....continuing to put the money in other positions

You can use your high draft picks next year replacing guys that are going to need to be replaced soon and can be groomed......like OT or DE or DT

Agreed on the contract point.

The dudes an incredible long shot but he's a shot. You can't just sit back and say screw it were doomed as a GM and he's atleast not proven that he can't.

but what if Tyrod actually ended up being decent.....the bills sign him to a modest contract due to lack of prior production.

Now you are in Seattle territory of not paying a QB.....continuing to put the money in other positions

You can use your high draft picks next year replacing guys that are going to need to be replaced soon and can be groomed......like OT or DE or DT

Decent has shown to be worth six years, $96 million.

Just so everyone is clear, Taylor's contract only voids the 2017 season.

Edited by scribo

The Chiefs signed Meh to a 6-year, $62.7m deal after one season playing for New England*. And that was back in '09. Too many teams out there too desperate at the QB position to count on much of a discount, if any, I'd think. Edited by Aaron

When I first read that I thought it was an amateur site where anyone could create a profile and write. It's not even that his points and information were bad as much as it is the way he expressed such strong feelings and certainty that's grossly disproportionate to the nature and weight of the evidence and strength of the logic he's using to get there. And he tries way too hard to be too cute, clever, and witty, which ultimately comes off as immature and annoying.

I think that it's worth taking a chance with Taylor. I looked at his college stats and he did get better each year. His senior year he had a 59.7 completion percentage and 24 td's with 5 picks. Those are good numbers. He hasn't had a shot in Baltimore so who knows? Make him the starter this year, probably not. A developmental project for next year, worth the chance.

I recall watching an interview with a Steelers O-lineman when Maddox got hurt and Big Ben was forced to play his rookie year. Basically the guy was saying how unhappy he was that they would be stuck with a rookie QB the rest of the season. The point is Taylor could be the next QB with the "IT" factor stuck behind a vet, or another non-franchise NFL QB, which most QB's are.

Exactly. I think at this point, an out of the box idea like Tyrod is great for the Bills. Give him a shot and let's see this preseason what he can do. He was a great college player and is an athletic freak. Stranger things have happened.

Best case scenario is he wins the job and you have another playmaker in your offense who is still young.

Correct. Our QB situation does not lend itself to journalist analysis. We just have to wait and see what happens on the field. I have no idea, truly, which of the 3 starts in September. Even odds on all three as they all have warts and positives. Cassel was lighting it up last year before he was hurt if he stays healthy Bridgewater never sees the field last year. EJ pretty much got screwed by Marrone trying to win a few extra games to build his resume. And Taylor is simply a complete unknown who has had 4 years of high quality coaching in Baltimore which in theory has cleared up the accuracy issues. Who the freak knows. He could be a Kapernick clone who now has great throwing mechanics . Who knows? We'll know in 90 days....

Edited by 8and8Forever

I recall watching an interview with a Steelers O-lineman when Maddox got hurt and Big Ben was forced to play his rookie year. Basically the guy was saying how unhappy he was that they would be stuck with a rookie QB the rest of the season. The point is Taylor could be the next QB with the "IT" factor stuck behind a vet, or another non-franchise NFL QB, which most QB's are.

to be fair, comparing him to a guy that went 11th in the draft is about on par with the guys crazy analysis of TTs 27 pass attempts.

the odds are incredibly against him, while big ben was a coin flip to become a starter as a pick that high.

tyrod taylor will not be the bills starting qb.

that means when the bills string together a couple of losses in 2015, fans will seize the opportunity to assume his absence from the lineup confirms their ongoing suspicion: any coach in bills colors is thereby a bumbling lummox.

Honestly, would you be surprised? He's competing against a career back up....on the downside.....and another QB with question marks of his own.

Would this really surprise you?

Either you think TT is that bad or you're expecting something from the other two that no one else has seen.

Honestly, would you be surprised? He's competing against a career back up....on the downside.....and another QB with question marks of his own.

Either you think TT is that bad or you're expecting something from the other two that no one else has seen.

TT will be lucky to have a career that matches the other two. its possible he surpasses them, but hes a late round pick on a cheap deal for a reason. hes not even getting chase daniel money, as a comp point of late pick backups that might get your attention but havent gotten a chance to play.

TT will be lucky to have a career that matches the other two. its possible he surpasses them, but hes a late round pick on a cheap deal for a reason. hes not even getting chase daniel money, as a comp point of late pick backups that might get your attention but havent gotten a chance to play.

To add to what NoSaint says, there are many more indications that he's the dark horse.

EJ's the hope.

Cassel's the organization's worst-case-scenario (and he's a pretty good one at that).

And TT is being given an opportunity to wow. But indications are that the expectation level for him is low.

absolutely ignorant man who wrote this article......kurt warner was bagging freakin groceries before he turned into a HOFer......this guy is a clown

and hundreds of those grocery baggers graduated to other supermarket positions. that something isnt impossible doesnt mean its likely.

The writers analysis of the data is stupid becuase of the small sample size in the NFL. However I thank you every much for posting the site. This will be my 1st year doing daily fantasy sports and I need any resource avaiable to help me get off to a great start. It covers all the DFS sites as well which is great

Tyrod has started in like what, 1 game?

How can he even try comparing them statistically is beyond me. Awful article.

The thought of Buffalo getting a 'Willy Beamen' type QB--a Cinderella story late round drafted brotha who lights up the league makes me giddy.

In reality though-- these guys tend to put the ball on the carpet when they're up against NFL defenses. He'll have to dazzle the coaches with knowledge of the playbook and throwing accuracy to beat out EJ for number two.

I didn't think it was a bad article. There were valid points made. It is highly unlikely Tyrod is better than Cassel or Manuel. We can hope but there is no significant evidence for that hope. Where I do take issue with the article is the assumptions are based on such a small statistical sample it is pretty meaningless (his comments about accuracy issues in college hold far more weight). It's like saying a baseball player will be a bust if he hits .100 after 5 games. By the same token I think too many assumptions are made about Manuel. He just hasn't played enough games to conclude he cannot become a good QB. With Cassel we know what we have which is pretty much another average QB. So it is quite enticing to hope we hit the lottery with Tyrod or Manuel.

Edited by Beerball

You know what's funny? People raked the Bills for not drafting a late round QB...you know, a Tyrod Taylor.

This was not a serious column or analysis. It was tabloid fodder loosely tied together with some flimsy, disconnected stats. Whatever is the opposite of "well thought out" is what this "article" should be called. Not sure if the OP was being serious, to be honest.