Don't Sleep on Goodwin

Sanners

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is very long odds that he makes the team. He always looks great in shorts, but can't stay healthy when the real bullets fly.

I am not certain I buy the label "injury prone" with Goodwin. He's had some tough breaks and suffered from Marrone's ineffectiveness, but when he's been given snaps he's played well. He's more than a track guy, he's a football player with a lot of toughness. He looks as fast in pads as he does in shorts (rare) and has shown the ability to catch the ball well. All that said, there's very little chance he gets cut. If he isn't on the roster it will be because he's traded this weekend, not because he isn't good enough to play on Sundays.

I'm skeptical about coach-speak, especially this early on, but this is one of my favourite things I've heard Rex say so far. Goodwin is just ridiculously fast. He just needs to stay healthy and he needs to be used properly. In all my years of watching the Bills, I've never seen anyone blow by defenders the way he does.

I remember the same types of headlines during Goodwin's rookie workouts. He's impressive on the practice field as he runs by everyone but clearly that hasn't translated to success on the field. If he gets tackled once he's out for the year. And are you just going to let him run deep every play? I'm sure the defense would be looking for that

He's not a complete receiver. He's a one trick pony

He broke his hand on a play that could have happened to anyone, and he had a hammy issue -- what other injuries has he had?

There was that one hit that was a miracle he didn't die taking.... That was him, right? Ej (not making this an ej thread), hung him out in the middle? Edited by NoSaint

one of the first players Rex mentioned when hired was Spikes and what did that mean?

How many receivers does a team keep, 5-6 maybe? Sammy, Harvin, Woods, Hogan, and Easley are 5 right there.

I will be shocked if Goodwin is on this team opening day.

Edited by Max997

He broke his hand on a play that could have happened to anyone, and he had a hammy issue -- what other injuries has he had?

Don't think any. He was a real weapon in 2013 and defenses were scared of him, regardless of the pedestrian stats he would put up. I forgot who said it but it was a Bills coach who was talking about defenses would always know when he was on the field and the safety would always move that way or at the very least lean that way. It's something we don't usually see as everyday fans. Rex mentioned it yesterday too when he said "I don't know how to cover him with one guy."

I understand Rex throws superlatives around easily. But he was talking as a defensive coach, and he's known as one of the best in the league if not the very best. And he was thinking if this were me, I would have to worry about this guy just because of his ability (which included route running and catching).

I remember the same types of headlines during Goodwin's rookie workouts. He's impressive on the practice field as he runs by everyone but clearly that hasn't translated to success on the field. If he gets tackled once he's out for the year. And are you just going to let him run deep every play? I'm sure the defense would be looking for thatHe's not a complete receiver. He's a one trick pony

Everything about that post is wrong. Pretty impressive for a seven sentence paragraph.

As KTD said, he had Marrone's Disease. Ain't no cure, but 4 million has been donated to the cause by Dr. Pegula

Ha. The good doctor saves lives.

Everything about that post is wrong. Pretty impressive for a seven sentence paragraph.

Are you joking? It was so obvious of a remark that I almost didn't post it because everyone already knows thats the situation with Goodwin.

I remember the same types of headlines during Goodwin's rookie workouts. He's impressive on the practice field as he runs by everyone but clearly that hasn't translated to success on the field. If he gets tackled once he's out for the year. And are you just going to let him run deep every play? I'm sure the defense would be looking for that

There's very little accurate information in this post.

There was that one hit that was a miracle he didn't die taking.... That was him, right? Ej (not making this an ej thread), hung him out in the middle?

Yeah, the SD game -- I thought EJ was going to be charged with accessory to murder on that play.

Are you joking? It was so obvious of a remark that I almost didn't post it because everyone already knows thats the situation with Goodwin.

There's a lot of confusion about Goodwin, but he hasn't been injury prone as much as he's been put on the shelf by Hackett and Marrone. The guy is a tough kid, he's not made of glass. He's had some bad breaks, but I don't think it's fair to call him injury prone considering all the other factors he faced.

there was the jets game he started - 1 deep td, 1 big rushing chunk, and 5 underneath catches. if he stays healthy he can be a complete player. its still a big if, but i think its crazy to act like its impossible.

Hyperbole much?

I think it is very long odds that he makes the team. He always looks great in shorts, but can't stay healthy when the real bullets fly.

Could Rex be trying to add to any potential trade value that he has? He isn't just a fast guy...there are a lot of those in the league....he is a fast guy with good hands....those are a little harder to find...but that durability thing is his biggest con...I agree with you, he is a long-shot to make the squad. It seems the Bills are going to let at least one decent WR go this summer...why not try to get something, anything, for him?

Hyperbole much?

You know, the season before (2013), when he did play, I am pretty sure, he didn't finish a single game where he caught a pass, un-injured.

Edited by Buftex

I agree this is so idiotic. When given a rare opportunity to do anything other than go deep, he showed good route running and hands. Glad to see Rex single him out. The kid can play. Has to stay healthy.

You're right. He got tackled 4 times last year and got injured twice and shaken up once. So he only gets hurt 75% of the time. My mistake.

See? There you go. Wrong again but half. He had eight. ;)

And the hamstring injury last year was in practice, not getting hit in the game.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

one of the first players Rex mentioned when hired was Spikes and what did that mean?

How many receivers does a team keep, 5-6 maybe? Sammy, Harvin, Woods, Hogan, and Easley are 5 right there.

I will be shocked if Goodwin is on this team opening day.

This is where some of the debate comes in. Do you keep a guy that does a lot of things okay (Hogan) or a guy that does 1 thing exceptionally well (Goodwin, Easley)? If you are talking about a guy playing >10 snaps a game who will have the bigger impact?

It really depends on how Rex and Roman view the roster. This goes without factoring in a potential acquisition of a big bodied receiver which also could happen. It will be interesting to see how Whaley and company select the roster and how the coaching staff uses them.

I suspect that this staff will use player's much better than the last staff. I thought that along with offensive play calling that was what they were worst at. They didn't put guys in position to do what they did best (ie run Spiller between the tackles until he pukes).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is where some of the debate comes in. Do you keep a guy that does a lot of things okay (Hogan) or a guy that does 1 thing exceptionally well (Goodwin, Easley)? If you are talking about a guy playing >10 snaps a game who will have the bigger impact?

It really depends on how Rex and Roman view the roster. This goes without factoring in a potential acquisition of a big bodied receiver which also could happen. It will be interesting to see how Whaley and company select the roster and how the coaching staff uses them. I suspect that this staff will use player's much better than the last staff. I thought that along with offensive play calling that was what they were worst at. They didn't but guys in position to do what they did best (ie run Spiller between the tackles until he pukes).

Good point.

If they don't trade Goodwin this weekend (and I think it's a long shot they will / are even trying to), I can see Hogan getting cut in camp. I'm not sure it's likely, but it's becoming more probable. Easley is a lock and they'll have four more active on game day (Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Goodwin/UFA addition) along with 3 TEs. Hogan could take that last spot, but I think that will only happen if he contributes on teams more than he did last year.

I'd rather see Goodwin run some crisp, deep routes & receive a nice pass,

rather than the patented "just throw it deep & let him run under it".

Maybe he is a better receiver than we have seen so far.

He's been pretty good at WR in pre-season games on regular routes.