If We Fired Marrone Before Last Season And Upgraded Pettine

Would we have made the playoffs? Unlike Marrone, Pettine was agressive and Pettine was the 8th most agressive coach last season, above Bill Belichick. He would have went for it more on 4th and 1, and possibly even 4th and longer distances. Also, he went 7-9 with the Browns of all teams with their part of their offensive line injured, Cameron injured a lot, Gordon suspended, and the hype with Johnny Bust. Wonder what he could do with a real football team. What do you think, would we have made the playoffs? I feel we would have went 11-5, won the Chiefs and Raiders game with Pettine.

That said, I still prefer Rex Ryan as our coach.

If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle.

I think Pettine is a decent coach but the Bills' D improved last season when he left. Cleveland had a decent amount of talent and took advantage of a pretty easy schedule over the first 11 weeks -- and then they collapsed, losing their last five.

While everyone knows I'm no fan of Marrone, I'll take the way things played out and the Bills landing Rex over having Pettine here as HC.

Would we have made the playoffs? Unlike Marrone, Pettine was agressive and Pettine was the 8th most agressive coach last season, above Bill Belichick. He would have went for it more on 4th and 1, and possibly even 4th and longer distances. Also, he went 7-9 with the Browns of all teams with their part of their offensive line injured, Cameron injured a lot, Gordon suspended, and the hype with Johnny Bust. Wonder what he could do with a real football team. What do you think, would we have made the playoffs? I feel we would have went 11-5, won the Chiefs and Raiders game with Pettine.

There's no way to know and they wouldn't have fired Marrone anyways... This is just a what if? scenerio. Who knows. I really don't care to be honest with you.

I'm looking forward to this season and seeing this team compete for the playoffs at the very least...

I think Pettine is a decent coach but the Bills' D improved last season when he left. Cleveland had a decent amount of talent and took advantage of a pretty easy schedule over the first 11 weeks -- and then they collapsed, losing their last five.

While everyone knows I'm no fan of Marrone, I'll take the way things played out and the Bills landing Rex over having Pettine here as HC.

I think it's worth noting that if your aunt had nuts, you'd probably have fewer cousins.

if an ant had nuts he'd have to walk on his hind legs

I think Pettine is a decent coach but the Bills' D improved last season when he left.

The defense took a big step when Pettine took over as coordinator and took another step last season. Is that because Pettine left or is it even related? I doubt it. It speaks more to continuity, added experience (especially Dareus, Bradham, and Searcy), some important new pieces (Spikes, Brown, etc), and some good depth.

I have no doubt Pettine would have had the BILLS defense at the top of the heap if he'd stayed around another year.

The defense took a big step when Pettine took over as coordinator and took another step last season. Is that because Pettine left or is it even related? I doubt it. It speaks more to continuity, added experience (especially Dareus, Bradham, and Searcy), some important new pieces (Spikes, Brown, etc), and some good depth.

I have no doubt Pettine would have had the BILLS defense at the top of the heap if he'd stayed around another year.

Yes, I stated that poorly -- I did not mean to say the defense improved because Pettine left...just that it did. I'm more concerned about the way Pettine mismanaged a lot of in-game situations I witnesses last season. I was saying all along that was not a good team, but at one point they had a 7-4 record...and then they completely pooped the sheets the last month of the season and there was a bunch of nonsense going on behind the scenes.

Pettine's defense couldn't stop the run. Schwartz made the defense better. Maybe that was more Spikes and Brown and no Kiko but the change in run D was dramatic. Run D is my big worry with Rex and no Spikes.

Roman is an upgrade over Marrone and Hackett though.

Pettine doesnt run a defense as well as Rex does. Pettine is a haphazard type of blitzing coach, Rex does it without sacrificing the run defense.

Pettine's defense couldn't stop the run. Schwartz made the defense better. Maybe that was more Spikes and Brown and no Kiko but the change in run D was dramatic. Run D is my big worry with Rex and no Spikes.

Roman is an upgrade over Marrone and Hackett though.

Rex runs some of the best run defense in the league.

• What if Scott Norwood made that kick?

What if we never traded LaMonica?

What if Flutie started that game in Memphis?

What if they would have noticed Brett Hull's skate in the crease?

What if that last play in the Music City Travesty didn't happen?

What if we would have beat Pittsburgh's second and third stringers in '04?

What if we would have won one of those Super Bowls?

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

If we would have done that most of what is now happening at one bills drive could be much different & i think the hype would not be nearly what it is now .

I thought at the time Pettine would have been a good HC & because of the way Marrone was they should have fired him & kept Pettine .

I also thought when Marrone took the money & ran that we should have promoted Schwartz & still think he would have been a great HC with all he had learned while in Detroit . Like Rex i think he would have had twice the enthusiasm as Marrone & could motivate the players much more !!

But the way things have went i don't think the team or we as fans could ask for any more ! Oh yah we will have the typical Bills fans that complain about every thing under the sun "the sky is falling" type fans will continue on that path with every little thing that goes wrong .

But the team is in better shape now than it has been since the 90's , I just hope given all of the money spent this year that we can keep a lot of key players that will be coming to the end of their contracts this year like , Dareus , Gilmore , & Glenn .

These guy are corp players on our team ! The only hope we have is that Whaley & company can keep the draft a factor in bringing in new talent as the others use FA to make their millions & Overdorf can use something to keep the cap manageable !!

GO BILLS !!

Look....I loved Pettine as our DC

But did you see how bad our Run D was with him as the D? The one thing you will see with Rex is his D still has those exotic well disguised blitzes.....but they have been historically good at stopping the run as well.

That is what you would have had with Pettine as a HC.

Look....I loved Pettine as our DC

But did you see how bad our Run D was with him as the D? The one thing you will see with Rex is his D still has those exotic well disguised blitzes.....but they have been historically good at stopping the run as well.

That is what you would have had with Pettine as a HC.

I don't know that it's fair to blame Pettine because I doubt very seriously if he told guys to run to the wrong gap or miss tackles - which were the two biggest problems we had stopping the run. I also don't think it's a coincidence that Kiko was going to be kicked outside because he was increasingly becoming a liability inside and regularly guilty of not having good gap discipline. I also don't underestimate the leadership Spikes' brought to the run defense. One player in the middle of the defense can make a huge difference and I think that's exactly what happened.

Pettine took what was a dramatic weakness and made huge strides in one season. He actually made McKelvin into a competent corner! There's no reason to believe that wouldn't have continued, especially considering the steps the team took to address obvious personnel issues.

I don't know that it's fair to blame Pettine because I doubt very seriously if he told guys to run to the wrong gap or miss tackles - which were the two biggest problems we had stopping the run. I also don't think it's a coincidence that Kiko was going to be kicked outside because he was increasingly becoming a liability inside and regularly guilty of not having good gap discipline. I also don't underestimate the leadership Spikes' brought to the run defense. One player in the middle of the defense can make a huge difference and I think that's exactly what happened.

Pettine took what was a dramatic weakness and made huge strides in one season. He actually made McKelvin into a competent corner! There's no reason to believe that wouldn't have continued, especially considering the steps the team took to address obvious personnel issues.

What about Cleveland having the worst rushing D in the NFL last year?

What about Cleveland having the worst rushing D in the NFL last year?

What about the Jets when Pettine was the DC? Are you comparing the Browns' personnel and all their issues with what might be the most talented defense in the NFL right now? The guy can coach defense.

There are plenty of reasons why teams perform the way they do. It seems to be in vogue to take the easy explanation (in this case, Schwarz is a better coach which seems odd given he's not coaching in the NFL right now and the conventional "wisdom" on this board was hiring him and "The Wide 9" is a mistake) but that doesn't make it reality.

What about the Jets when Pettine was the DC? Are you comparing the Browns' personnel and all their issues with what might be the most talented defense in the NFL right now? The guy can coach defense.

There are plenty of reasons why teams perform the way they do. It seems to be in vogue to take the easy explanation (in this case, Schwarz is a better coach which seems odd given he's not coaching in the NFL right now and the conventional "wisdom" on this board was hiring him and "The Wide 9" is a mistake) but that doesn't make it reality.

Cleveland Browns went from 18th to 32nd in RYAPG from 2013 to 2014. Did the only FA downgrade of Ward to Hitner cause them to plummet in rushing defense? Or maybe there's a trend of a certain ex-Jets DC not having great defenses against the run. Maybe.

Edited by FireChan

• What if Scott Norwood made that kick?
  • What if we never traded LaMonica?
  • What if Flutie started that game in Memphis?
  • What if they would have noticed Brett Hull's skate in the crease?
  • What if that last play in the Music City Travesty didn't happen?
  • What if we would have beat Pittsburgh's second and third stringers in '04?
  • What if we would have won one of those Super Bowls?

What if Marrone hadn't left and was still coach of the Bills ? :bag:

Cleveland Browns went from 18th to 32nd in RYAPG from 2013 to 2014. Did the only FA downgrade of Ward to Hitner cause them to plummet in rushing defense? Or maybe there's a trend of a certain ex-Jets DC not having great defenses against the run. Maybe.

Oversimplification.