Harvin signs w/ Bills: 3 yr / $24M (voids to 1 yr / $6M)

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it. I know Harvin has his faults but the game last year where he had 3 TDs called back is one of the most dominant games I've seen a WR have. Mercurial and talented, hopefully the latter wins out and those dominant games become the norm.

I heard some nfl guys on national radio taking about Harvin and Clay and they said Clay would be a nice fit but Harvin was way more "talented" of a player from an elite playmaker standpoint and is the better acquisition. They didn't think it was much of a risk because if he screws up it's his last chance and he's on a prove-it deal. Just like incognito, they are being given an opportunity to revive their NFL careers after making mistakes with previous teams.

@ImDrunkRex: First look at Percy Harvin in a Bills jersey http://t.co/4PBcMjgcZV

@PatMoranMix96: Coaches Film-- Bills vs Jets. 21-yd Percy Harvin sweep. Man he's quick https://t.co/yQB7cXTGBY

@salmaiorana: ICYMI: the #Bills keep making splashes, and this time it's by signing Percy Harvin. I like it. http://t.co/xmq4K5Kttwvia @DandC

@ImDrunkRex: First look at Percy Harvin in a Bills jersey http://t.co/4PBcMjgcZV

@PatMoranMix96: Coaches Film-- Bills vs Jets. 21-yd Percy Harvin sweep. Man he's quick https://t.co/yQB7cXTGBY

@salmaiorana: ICYMI: the #Bills keep making splashes, and this time it's by signing Percy Harvin. I like it. http://t.co/xmq4K5Kttwvia @DandC

Not the most exciting highlight - but exactly the type of low risk high reward chunk yardage we are hoping for.

This is worth the read on how the jet sweep makes Harvin so dangerous http://t.co/z7mCQnjyqI

Creating space on the perimeter... Weird. Kind of exactly the type of play I was posting about 3 times a day last year. Use our speed, misdirection, fakes, and build out an option or two in order to mask some of our weaknesses. Little more creative than cj between the guards... But the beauty is the fake sweep pulls linebackers from crashing in the middle when you do run there. I must've said a million times go watch Seattle or SF and focus less on the qb running but more on the general design/concepts. We had sammy and cj (now McCoy) and have added harvin. One misstep and it can be 7 points instead of having to create as much pressure in the intermediate passing game (still will need to be functional, just not press beyond our means)

I'm just upset we signed him for 1 year. So, basically, if he has a great season, he's one and done because we won't be able to sign him. We've got Dareus to sign next year.

Of course the upside being he had a great year and that's less upsetting

I'm just upset we signed him for 1 year. So, basically, if he has a great season, he's one and done because we won't be able to sign him. We've got Dareus to sign next year.

We have $50+ million of cap space next year plus whatever the cap goes up and any salary cap cuts. We can pretty much do anything we want next year...Suh got a $114 million dollar contract and his cap hit this year is $6 million...let's get real here Edited by matter2003

Creating space on the perimeter... Weird. Kind of exactly the type of play I was posting about 3 times a day last year. Use our speed, misdirection, fakes, and build out an option or two in order to mask some of our weaknesses. Little more creative than cj between the guards... But the beauty is the fake sweep pulls linebackers from crashing in the middle when you do run there. I must've said a million times go watch Seattle or SF and focus less on the qb running but more on the general design/concepts. We had sammy and cj (now McCoy) and have added harvin. One misstep and it can be 7 points instead of having to create as much pressure in the intermediate passing game (still will need to be functional, just not press beyond our means)

What's pitiful is that we had the guts to run them too, but never did (eg, spiller, goodwin, Watkins, even woods).

What's pitiful is that we had the guts to run them too, but never did (eg, spiller, goodwin, Watkins, even woods).

It's quite literally what the whole team was designed around with the occasional deep ball - but marrone decided mid build that it wasn't his cup of tea anymore and whaley was a jerk for wanting to stick by it.

I'm generally happy with the off-season. But the Harvin signing puzzles me.

Why do we rent an oft-injured, oft-clueless WR when we don't have a franchise QB who can get him the ball? For a reported $6 million for 1 year?

They say past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. If true, Harvin won't even crack the starting lineup. Either he'll be benched by the coaches for something dumb, or he'll get hurt, or he'll bench himself.

Under the circumstances, wouldn't it have been wiser to pay Chandler his $2 mil than give Harvin his $6 mil? Now we're loaded at wideout but extremely thin at TE having also lost Lee Smith.

The hiring of Rex and Roman, and the signing of Shady, all say we're building a ground-and-pound offense. Where does flaky Harvin fit in? Aren't TEs more important in ground-and-pound offense than WRs who don't like to block?

How about if we use Harvin in the wildcat? The brad Smith role? Lord knows until someone steps up at qb the less that group does the better.

Found it interesting that Harvin was the 7th best free agent on NFL.com's list. The guy is a supreme talent.

a supreme idiot too - but given our spot and this deal, i can stomach it.

theres a reason that after being banned from VA HS athletics he still went to an SEC powerhouse

and after choke slamming his coach and being small for a WR he was still a first rounder

and after all his arguments and health drama and... he was a 1st plus picks plus MONSTER contract for seattle

the guy is DYNAMITE with the ball in his hands. and will give us another one of the rare guys that can run past nfl speed. there arent a lot of guys that widen the gap once they get a step on a guy in a footrace and hes one and hes not afraid to take a hit.

Edited by NoSaint

Guys with immense talent will continue to be signed. Mike Vick was handed a 100 mill contract a couple years after doing time in prison for murdering dogs. If Harvin wasn't a little bit crazy then he would not be here. We wouldn't have a chance. He's probably a d-bag but that's why he's on a 1 year deal. I'm guessing Rex didn't have many issues with him last year.

Edited by YoloinOhio

a supreme idiot too - but given our spot and this deal, i can stomach it.

theres a reason that after being banned from VA HS athletics he still went to an SEC powerhouse

and after choke slamming his coach and being small for a WR he was still a first rounder

and after all his arguments and health drama and... he was a 1st plus picks plus MONSTER contract for seattle

the guy is DYNAMITE with the ball in his hands. and will give us another one of the rare guys that can run past nfl speed. there arent a lot of guys that widen the gap once they get a step on a guy in a footrace and hes one and hes not afraid to take a hit.

Pete Carroll is one of the most player friendly coaches in the game. He will go to the max in trying to relate to his players and will do everything he can to accommodate players. Even he had to dispatch him from the team in order to prevent him from irretrievably poisioning the locker room.

Marshawn Lynch is a challenging personality for outsders to deal with. But within the team and the locker room his teammates admired and loved him. They were more than willing to tolerate his foibles. Harvin is a different brand of person. Wherever he goes he is reviled by the staff and his teammates are less than fond of him. There is a collective sense of relief when he is gone.

When your behavior pattern in HS, college and with multipe pro teams is repeated then you have to conclude (obviously) that he is what he is. It is understandable why organizations are willing to be enticed by his scintillating talents, but there should be no surprise when he reverts to his problematic behavior.

In one respect I am excited by his acquisition; on the other hand I am very wary of it. For me, on balance it is worth the gamble. But it must be acknowledged that for this type of combustible person the clock is always ticking before the predictable explosion happens.

Pete Carroll is one of the most player friendly coaches in the game. He will go to the max in trying to relate to his players and will do everything he can to accommodate players. Even he had to dispatch him from the team in order to prevent him from irretrievably poisioning the locker room.

Marshawn Lynch is a challenging personality for outsders to deal with. But within the team and the locker room his teammates admired and loved him. They were more than willing to tolerate his foibles. Harvin is a different brand of person. Wherever he goes he is reviled by the staff and his teammates are less than fond of him. There is a collective sense of relief when he is gone.

When your behavior pattern in HS, college and with multipe pro teams is repeated then you have to conclude (obviously) that he is what he is. It is understandable why organizations are willing to be enticed by his scintillating talents, but there should be no surprise when he reverts to his problematic behavior.

In one respect I am excited by his acquisition; on the other hand I am very wary of it. For me, on balance it is worth the gamble. But it must be acknowledged that for this type of combustible person the clock is always ticking before the predictable explosion happens.

as long as we dont commit to him long term - hes a bit of an outsider to a degree. Who follows the mercenary as their leader? Hes a Bill for 8.5 months currently, and if he can fracture our locker room in that time --- it wasnt that strong. he also has a lot of incentive to stay quiet without a penny guaranteed next year. that said, the incentive has been there before and its never swayed him.

if we turn around and give him the big contract like santonio and the jets - id be much more concerned.

I would't have liked this with Marrone still here. Or as of three days ago for that matter. But as it's become more apparent that the Dolphins were going all out to keep Clay,no matter the cost, picking a dynamic playmaker on a show me deal is a pretty good consolation prize.

In particular, I'm curious to see what Roman can do with him. He already has a blueprint of what Seattle did to great effect, and where Roman has had his greatest innovations has been in creating overloaded situations on run plays. With Felton as a lead blocker, and Shady in the backfield, EJ under center and Harvin on the jet sweep, all working on the zone read? That's a number of variables that Roman must be drooling over.

Interesting reading: http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2014/1/16/5315666/jet-sweep-inside-zone-college-football

I do not see any downside to Harvin's signing. One year deal to test the waters with this guy. Also keeps him away from *NE. He must have behaved well enough last season for Rex to want him back and gives us another weapon in our arsenal. Need a OG (wanted to see them bring in the guy from Atlanta, but sounds like he may go to St. Louis) and draft a few o-linemen for depth.

Where is the 6 M number coming from?

Rapoport apparently.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2392401-percy-harvin-to-bills-latest-contract-details-comments-and-reaction

But initially they reported Incognito's deal as $2.5M which is almost 2.5x what it actually is. So I'm trying not to get too freaked until we actually know the numbers.

Not in love with this. Don't know if I would even like at $3m.

Starting to feel like Dan Snyder.

Harvin isn't a Snyder move. It's a 1 year deal. Who cares.

Being myopic giving up draft picks and spending large sums of money on long term guaranteed contracts in FA is Snyder. McCoy is the most Snyder move of the bunch!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

That highlight video has me sold.

This guy is a serious threat all day.

If the Bills can execute some blocks this year?
The weapons are just stupid good.
and i was Not a fan of the signing, just like I was McCoy. now i am all aboard !