Harvin signs w/ Bills: 3 yr / $24M (voids to 1 yr / $6M)

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His talent is worth that, but we might as well have signed him for more than a year.

Yah I would've liked a 2yr deal but whatever. Would rather overpay a good player than Gresham or Chris Williams 2.0 or some crappy player that plays a position we happen to be bad at.

Who are the mythical Guards everyone is talking about - Franklin & Boling already signed right?

A bit puzzled by this one year deal. What's the point without a QB to throw to the WRs. Unless they plan on running a lot of short stuff, WR screens etc. and think Cassel (or Taylor/Manuel I suppose) can handle at least that much?

Probably very close to the truth.

because we are getting close to the cap limit!

that's what happens when you sign high profile free agents. It's expected and ok. We could be way below the cap but would probably stink. When we hit the cap, we stop spending. Simple

Yah I would've liked a 2yr deal but whatever. Would rather overpay a good player than Gresham or Chris Williams 2.0 or some crappy player that plays a position we happen to be bad at.

Who are the mythical Guards everyone is talking about - Franklin & Boling already signed right?

Blalock ?

Thats was my pick for value when he came available . good run blocker and solid enough

that's what happens when you sign high profile free agents. It's expected and ok. We could be way below the cap but would probably stink. When we hit the cap, we stop spending. Simple

Rightio. I was responding about to the fellow who mentioned "why be concerned , it not our money"

of course its not. But when the bills run out of spendables. The FA is over for us Fans.

I dont want to spend on Harvin when it SEEMS they have glaring needs at TE and G to me.

Ralph is still cheap , i just know it.

Are you writing the check? Who cares how much they paid. Now it's to the Bills coaches to use correctly.

Excellent insight! Thanks for being a valued member of the community. I can see your winning attitude should be something we can all look forward too.

Employing basic logic- if you want to ground and pound, you need a decent line. If you have an OC who likes to get TEs involved in multiple sets, you need tight ends. So, we need to sign at least 1 TE and 1 decent OL before the draft. If you want that TE to be Clay, as they have indicated, then you need MONEY in the form of CAP SPACE. Miami is freeing up space to lock him up long-term and we are still chewing it up with non-OL non-TE acquisitions. I'm happy to have Harvin, I just hop the contract is structured in such a way that it does not preclude us from getting players we need on the line. Seems to me if you can't keep the QB upright to pass to these wideouts and can't open space for Rbs (which we could NOT do last year) then you're basically buying gold-plated spinners for your car when it doesn't have an engine.

Blalock ?

Thats was my pick for value when he came available . good run blocker and solid enough

Rightio. I was responding about to the fellow who mentioned "why be concerned , it not our money"

of course its not. But when the bills run out of spendables. The FA is over for us Fans.

I dont want to spend on Harvin when it SEEMS they have glaring needs at TE and G to me.

Ralph is still cheap , i just know it.

There probably aren't many guards or TE's left that will command big dollars other than Clay

Great signing. I'm still a hold-out Percy Harvin fan and think he's an excellent player. We are off the hook after 1 season. Harvin is motivated to play lights out so they can hit it big in free agency. I suspect the Bills will let him handle all kickoff and punt return duties.

Look out for a lot of read option/jet sweeps on offense. If we are able to establish a consistent running game we are going to have a field day with mis-direction and play action on offense. I think Harvin opens up a lot of things for us in the running game now.

Bills have 3 blue chip-talent players on offense now. Were better as a team with this signing.... and that cant be argued.

I'm all for the optimism, but we will still need a QB to get them the ball and a better line to keep him standing!

My thoughts too. And on returns and other gadget plays.

Put him in the backfield like GB does.with Cobb to get him matched up with a LB...god help the LB trying to cover him on a wheel route...

I'm generally happy with the off-season. But the Harvin signing puzzles me.

Why do we rent an oft-injured, oft-clueless WR when we don't have a franchise QB who can get him the ball? For a reported $6 million for 1 year?

They say past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. If true, Harvin won't even crack the starting lineup. Either he'll be benched by the coaches for something dumb, or he'll get hurt, or he'll bench himself.

Under the circumstances, wouldn't it have been wiser to pay Chandler his $2 mil than give Harvin his $6 mil? Now we're loaded at wideout but extremely thin at TE having also lost Lee Smith.

The hiring of Rex and Roman, and the signing of Shady, all say we're building a ground-and-pound offense. Where does flaky Harvin fit in? Aren't TEs more important in ground-and-pound offense than WRs who don't like to block?

I'm generally happy with the off-season. But the Harvin signing puzzles me.

Why do we rent an oft-injured, oft-clueless WR when we don't have a franchise QB who can get him the ball? For a reported $6 million for 1 year?

They say past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. If true, Harvin won't even crack the starting lineup. Either he'll be benched by the coaches for something dumb, or he'll get hurt, or he'll bench himself.

Under the circumstances, wouldn't it have been wiser to pay Chandler his $2 mil than give Harvin his $6 mil? Now we're loaded at wideout but extremely thin at TE having also lost Lee Smith.

The hiring of Rex and Roman, and the signing of Shady, all say we're building a ground-and-pound offense. Where does flaky Harvin fit in? Aren't TEs more important in ground-and-pound offense than WRs who don't like to block?

Chandler is a pawn. Harvin is a bishop on a board more suited for knights. Still better than a pawn, and the board can always change in the bishops's favor later on.

Excellent insight! Thanks for being a valued member of the community. I can see your winning attitude should be something we can all look forward too.

Employing basic logic- if you want to ground and pound, you need a decent line. If you have an OC who likes to get TEs involved in multiple sets, you need tight ends. So, we need to sign at least 1 TE and 1 decent OL before the draft. If you want that TE to be Clay, as they have indicated, then you need MONEY in the form of CAP SPACE. Miami is freeing up space to lock him up long-term and we are still chewing it up with non-OL non-TE acquisitions. I'm happy to have Harvin, I just hop the contract is structured in such a way that it does not preclude us from getting players we need on the line. Seems to me if you can't keep the QB upright to pass to these wideouts and can't open space for Rbs (which we could NOT do last year) then you're basically buying gold-plated spinners for your car when it doesn't have an engine.

did we not restructure kyle to free up space? Did we not free up over 2 million by releasing chandler? Did we not restructure shady to free up cap space? Stop acting like the bills are only signing people and not making moves like the rest of the league. Did we not get an oline coach that is one of the better teachers? Do our rookie lineman from last season have a year under their belt and are they working to improve? Do we have two TEs on our roster already with a similar skill set to clay with a fraction of the cap hit?

that is about what I expected. Interested to see the gtd $. Kenny Britt just got 7.5/yr. Eddie Royal got 5/yr.

Id bet between high 4s to low 5s with some incentives bht generally speaking 80 or so percent locked in, just spitballing