Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

Forrest Gump was a running back. We need Paul "Wrecking" Crewe.

LOVE the quote in your signature!

Here is mine altered to fit the Bills. When my wife saw this movie with me she said this part described me perfectly...

“Every summer we go to training camp with the Bills.”

“Oh you get to train with the Bills? Are you allowed to do that?”

“Well we don’t actually. We watch the games”

“Aren’t those just practice games?”

“Well yeah but theres more to it than that. We scout the players. We say who they should keep and who they should get rid of”

“And the Bills actually ask your opinion?”

“Well, not yet”

CBF

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way do I see any of the NFL QB's mentioned in this thread being made available to the Bills in a trade, Rivers ?, Eli ?, Bradford ?, Cutler ?

To me, it's wishful thinking.

QB is the most important position and all of those guys, even with their respective flaws are better than what those teams could find elsewhere.

The only path the Bills can go on, realistically is to use their 2nd round pick on a college prospect or maybe the CFL route.

The Bills should be drafting a QB in 1st or 2nd round going forward until they find a franchise guy.

Sad, to be here over 15 years after Kelly retired, but, it is what it is.

RG3?

A letter from the Redskins to their "premium fans" does not list Robert Griffin III as part of their nucleus.

The Washington Redskins thank you for your continued loyalty and support," read the letter. "Head Coach Jay Gruden, new General Manager Scot McCloughan, and Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry will lead a nucleus of Ryan Kerrigan, DeSean Jackson, plus Pro Bowlers Trent Williams and Alfred Morris. The Redskins are poised to rebound next season!" Just two years ago, RG3 was collecting his Rookie of the Year award and was named to the Pro Bowl as the face of the franchise. Now he heads into the offseason not even knowing if he'll be back in Washington.

RG3?

A letter from the Redskins to their "premium fans" does not list Robert Griffin III as part of their nucleus.

The Washington Redskins thank you for your continued loyalty and support," read the letter. "Head Coach Jay Gruden, new General Manager Scot McCloughan, and Defensive Coordinator Joe Barry will lead a nucleus of Ryan Kerrigan, DeSean Jackson, plus Pro Bowlers Trent Williams and Alfred Morris. The Redskins are poised to rebound next season!" Just two years ago, RG3 was collecting his Rookie of the Year award and was named to the Pro Bowl as the face of the franchise. Now he heads into the offseason not even knowing if he'll be back in Washington.

I think RG3 has a chance to come back as a really good QB in the right offense with the right components in place. He is definitely worth trading for, in my opinion.

RG3?

Not surprising after watching Gruden repeatedly throw Bob under the bus, drive over him, back up, do doughnuts, and drive over him again last season.

Haven't read the whole thing, but is this thread really the result of a tweet that guy put out about some "new direction" at QB?

What is that guy's history again?

Believe it or not he is pretty plugged in. He broke the Spikes signing and was completely on top of ownership. His information is solid albeit vague in this case. I think that the issue is it is so vague that it has spawned a 15 page thread that has probably listed 25 different QBs as possibilities. The point being, the Bills are focused on a direction that is different than most have speculated. How far down does that go? It probably means that sticking with EJ or trading for Cutler is not the plan. I would say that those are the two most common thoughts. Drafting a QB in the second is probably next, followed by Sanchez, Bradford and Locker. Where does the different direction come into play?

He's occasionally right and REALLY loves to boast about it on those occasions when it happens.

Ha ha, remember after the Spikes signing he was talking about "a victory for amateur journalists everywhere" or something like that.

Not surprising after watching Gruden repeatedly throw Bob under the bus, drive over him, back up, do doughnuts, and drive over him again last season.

He isn't Gruden's style of QB imo. RG3 has reportedly made some mistakes and has dealt with a few injuries that have set him back. I still think he needs to learn or be willing to slide and understand he is not Cam Newton. He needs to slide like Russell Wilson. But I think he has more talent as an NFL QB than EJ. I think he has potential in the right run-focused, play action pass offense with a strong defense.

The Redskins have put on a clinic on how not to develop a quarterback, with RGIII. I think they've ruined him permanently, frankly.

Believe it or not he is pretty plugged in. He broke the Spikes signing and was completely on top of ownership. His information is solid albeit vague in this case. I think that the issue is it is so vague that it has spawned a 15 page thread that has probably listed 25 different QBs as possibilities. The point being, the Bills are focused on a direction that is different than most have speculated. How far down does that go? It probably means that sticking with EJ or trading for Cutler is not the plan. I would say that those are the two most common thoughts. Drafting a QB in the second is probably next, followed by Sanchez, Bradford and Locker. Where does the different direction come into play?

Ha ha, remember after the Spikes signing he was talking about "a victory for amateur journalists everywhere" or something like that.

I think everyone except the most paranoid of the "Bills to LA/Toronto" crowd assumed Pegula would be the Bills owner.

And what direction at QB has NOT been put forth at TBD as a unique thread? Why would this guy tease such a generic "something is gonna happen at QB" tweet?

Who couldn't tweet that at this point?

Edited by Mr. WEO

I should probably point out that the tweet was one of many following a call he apparently had with his source inside the organization. There were several interesting tidbits in there, not implying that this tweet was the entirety of it.

I have no issue with people doubting the validity, accuracy, or value of the info. I just know that he has seemed to have good inside info in the past, so it seemed thread-worthy. Take it FWIW to you, of course.

And no, WEO, that's not what the person said. He also was likely not referring to talk on a board like TBD, where fans discuss every unlikely possibility that pops into their minds.

Edited by Rubes

Do the Bills move up this year into the late first/early second to take Bret Hundley? He could be there in the early 30s. He's the classic high risk-high reward player. Thoughts on Hundley? As a UCLA alum, I don't know what to think. He takes a ton of sacks - way too many in my opinion - and he's had some dispiriting performances. But the Bruins have been good the past couple of seasons ...

EDIT: Apparently he's seen as having very high bust potential: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441350/article/scout-foresees-ucla-qb-brett-hundley-as-a-bust

EDIT #2: Bleacher Report has a very good analysis: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2279354-uclas-brett-hundley-is-2015-nfl-drafts-most-polarizing-quarterback-prospect

(Just delete the space between "bleacher" and "report" to get to the story.)

Edited by dave mcbride

Do the Bills move up this year into the late first/early second to take Bret Hundley? He could be there in the early 30s. He's the classic high risk-high reward player. Thoughts on Hundley? As a UCLA alum, I don't know what to think. He takes a ton of sacks - way too many in my opinion - and he's had some dispiriting performances. But the Bruins have been good the past couple of seasons ...

I think Hundley is a project in the NFL. I expect a team who has an established starter in place but could be looking for a replacement in the next few years (Arizona, SD, NO, NYG, Pitt) to take him. if a team needs a QB who can start right away, like the Bills, I don't think he's a good pick unless he falls to a value round.

My UCLA friends don't think he will be a good NFL QB for those main reasons, pocket awareness and just plays awful sometimes. He looks the part, and makes great plays at times. I don't see him as any great er chance than EJ.

EDIT: Apparently he's seen as having very high bust potential: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000441350/article/scout-foresees-ucla-qb-brett-hundley-as-a-bust

EDIT #2: Bleacher Report has a very good analysis: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2279354-uclas-brett-hundley-is-2015-nfl-drafts-most-polarizing-quarterback-prospect

(Just delete the space between "bleacher" and "report" to get to the story.)

Ironically Joe B just tweeted this.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia 5m5 minutes ago

Draft names to watch: QB Brett Hundley http://bit.ly/1CxYgDm

Ironically Joe B just tweeted this.

Joe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia 5m5 minutes ago

Draft names to watch: QB Brett Hundley http://bit.ly/1CxYgDm

LOL. Mind meld, I guess - or perhaps he's reading the board! His weaknesses sound a lot like EJ's. The BR story is good on that.

My UCLA friends don't think he will be a good NFL QB for those main reasons, pocket awareness and just plays awful sometimes. He looks the part, and makes great plays at times. I don't see him as any great er chance than EJ.

Probably right, but it is the case that players can improve. I don't think Buffalo is the right setting for him, but another team might be. SF strikes me as a pretty good landing spot for him given the nature of their QB game.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think everyone except the most paranoid of the "Bills to LA/Toronto" crowd assumed Pegula would be the Bills owner.

And what direction at QB has NOT been put forth at TBD as a unique thread? Why would this guy tease such a generic "something is gonna happen at QB" tweet?

Who couldn't tweet that at this point?

I don't think that he is referencing the lunatics like us that have discussed evey possible scenario. I think the point is that the few (2,3,4, whatever) most speculated scenarios at QB are not the plan. We don't know what that number is though which is why it is vague.

I would not be on board with Hundley. Bigger project than EJ at the NFL level in my opinion.

LOL. Mind meld, I guess - or perhaps he's reading the board! His weaknesses sound a lot like EJ's. The BR story is good on that.

Probably right, but it is the case that players can improve. I don't think Buffalo is the right setting for him, but another team might be. SF strikes me as a pretty good landing spot for him given the nature of their QB game.

He has as good a chance as any, which is tiny. ;)

I'm more wary of 2nd round QBs than almost any of them. They're not good enough to get into the first round where teams will gamble on talent like crazy. You very rarely see guys like that do well enough. I have a personal bias, so I don't like guys like Dalton who I don't think you win with, which affects my stance on this kind of thing. But second rounders are career backups at best over the last 30 years. And I know there are a few exceptions. But they don't win, and you go looking for a different guy in a few years.

I don't think that he is referencing the lunatics like us that have discussed evey possible scenario. I think the point is that the few (2,3,4, whatever) most speculated scenarios at QB are not the plan. We don't know what that number is though which is why it is vague.

I guess I didn't understand who he means by "not many others" have talked about...fans? "Sports journalists"? Insiders at OBD (we wouldn't know who they were or were not taling about anyway, so it can't be them)?

Edited by Mr. WEO

I guess I didn't understand who he means by "not many others" have talked about...fans? "Sports journalists"? Insiders at OBD (we wouldn't know who they were or were not taling about anyway, so it can't be them)?

I assume he meant local media, Bills bloggers etc

So you didn't see the tweet, read the thread, or understand it. Glad you chimed in to criticize it!!! :nana:

There's your answer.

God I hope not. He has to learn the QB position all over again. I can't believe how many plays he doesn't do the right thing, even just like not setting his feet.

He is, I guess, better than we have. And I guess I will trust Roman's judgment, as I believe he is going to have as much input as Whaley and probably more than Rex as far as what veteran QB we go after. So if we get him, I'm confident that Roman thinks he knows how to fix him, because he is completely broken. Even on great passes he will often just throw all arm, and that is a recipe for disaster, which usually followed.

He has as good a chance as any, which is tiny. ;)

I'm more wary of 2nd round QBs than almost any of them. They're not good enough to get into the first round where teams will gamble on talent like crazy. You very rarely see guys like that do well enough. I have a personal bias, so I don't like guys like Dalton who I don't think you win with, which affects my stance on this kind of thing. But second rounders are career backups at best over the last 30 years. And I know there are a few exceptions. But they don't win, and you go looking for a different guy in a few years.

Drew Brees: bona fide NFL second rounder!

God I hope not. He has to learn the QB position all over again. I can't believe how many plays he doesn't do the right thing, even just like not setting his feet.

He is, I guess, better than we have. And I guess I will trust Roman's judgment, as I believe he is going to have as much input as Whaley and probably more than Rex as far as what veteran QB we go after. So if we get him, I'm confident that Roman thinks he knows how to fix him, because he is completely broken. Even on great passes he will often just throw all arm, and that is a recipe for disaster, which usually followed.

I'm the opposite of a fan of Griffin. I don't think he's any good and I question his ability interpret what's in front of him on the field. He was sacked at an RJ-like rate of 13.4 percent this season. If you don't like Andy Dalton because you don't think he get a playoff team to the next level, you will feel the same about Griffin.

I'm okay with RG3. He has some flaws but has also proven to be an accurate thrower and a dynamic playmaker (even at this level). He is all screwed up at the moment but a lot of that could be recovering from that injury. Anyone that we are talking about comes with some risk. RG is high on the risk scale but also probably highest on the reward scale.