Should The Bills Retain CJ Spiller?

PolishDave

I thought Spiller had another dismal game. He whimped out on the block that led to Orton's sack fumble. He can't break a play open to save his life. With his lack of ability to aid in stopping opponent's pass rush, I think he is more of a liability than an asset. I will be disappointed if he is back next year.

Your thoughts?

I say keep him. He shouldn't be a financial issue at all so it is just a matter of keeping or not. I still think with a good OC and better OL he could be a big part of our running attack maybe even greater than 50% of it.

I think most fans would agree he would have had a lot more success behind a much better offensive line. It is hard to question that. However, if this guy was even close to being elite he still should be able to make a big play here or there. And he doesn't. He just doesn't. And he is not performing his basic assignments to help the rest of the team as evidenced by his whif on the pass block where Orton fumbled. If the guy isn't making any big plays on his own and if he is allowing the other team to make huge plays against him, then I say it is time to part ways with him. He seems like a great guy, but he doesn't seem like a great football player.

So Orton misses training camp, yet plays for 12 straight weeks, and people wanna give Hackett and him a pass because he needs to be given a chance. CJ just missed half the season and in his 2nd game back is expected to be a game changer?

If he leaves, we'll be watching him score TDs ala Lynch. Yay us.

So Orton misses training camp, yet plays for 12 straight weeks, and people wanna give Hackett and him a pass because he needs to be given a chance. CJ just missed half the season and in his 2nd game back is expected to be a game changer?

If he leaves, we'll be watching him score TDs ala Lynch. Yay us.

I've heard this about every Bills player ever. "Will go to NE to destroy us" "Will dominate somewhere else." It's happened like twice in the last decade and it happens to every team. If CJ does well somewhere else, I don't really care. He isn't playing well here. That's all that matters.

does anyone remember the play when he was injured? that is the cj spiller that could have been this season. keep him and make it a priority to integrate him into the game plan. otherwise some team will and he will join the string of ex bills excelling after they left.

I've heard this about every Bills player ever. "Will go to NE to destroy us" "Will dominate somewhere else." It's happened like twice in the last decade and it happens to every team. If CJ does well somewhere else, I don't really care. He isn't playing well here. That's all that matters.

Exactly... He's not playing well behind that same OLine that people say is so bad you can't judge our OC's play calling. Yet, a RB is supposed to be fine running behind it. Not to mention.. Has he really looked that much worse than any of the other 3 RBs on the roster?

Exactly... He's not playing well behind that same OLine that people say is so bad you can't judge our OC's play calling. Yet, a RB is supposed to be fine running behind it. Not to mention.. Has he really looked that much worse than any of the other 3 RBs on the roster?

Yes he has. Especially Fred Jackson. He should be outplaying Fred Jackson consistently at this point in both their careers. He can't carry Fred's jockstrap. It's not even close. You can't count on CJ to get you a tough yard. And you can't count on him to block a blitzer so the QB at least has a chance to make a play. How much longer can you realistically wait for CJ to turn his game back around... Why would you ever want CJ in on another 3rd down play where his job is to help protect the quarterback.

If he'll play for about the league minimum, he's a valuable return man

I suppose he is worth keeping around for that purpose if you want to use a roster spot just for that. Seems like we got just as good of production out of Thigpen at that spot though.

Great ability, but it shows nowhere near often enough. As has been said already, he simply refuses to hit a hole quickly for 4 yards and looks for the big one every carry.

But what REALLY put me over the edge on Spiller was the sack he gave up today. Not only did he miss the initial block, but then he turned his back on his man while the guy stepped right around him to get the strip sack. Inexcusable. There is NO part of his heart that's into pass pro.

Great ability, but it shows nowhere near often enough. As has been said already, he simply refuses to hit a hole quickly for 4 yards and looks for the big one every carry.

But what REALLY put me over the edge on Spiller was the sack he gave up today. Not only did he miss the initial block, but then he turned his back on his man while the guy stepped right around him to get the strip sack. Inexcusable. There is NO part of his heart that's into pass pro.

Yes That just about sums it up.

the guy has a 5 yard per carry career average in the nfl

thats ahead of a lot of great runners including demarco murray.

i hope they keep him, maybe an incentive oriented contract if he'll go that way.

And yet I would bet 32 GM's would take Murray over Spiller.

Spiller is a coward when it comes to pass protection. After all these years, he just won't commit to it. He needs to go.

That is a horrible comment, IMO. He isn't a good pass protector, that is true. It is something he never had to do in college and something that doesn't come naturally to him. He has gotten better at it over the years. I believe he has worked on it and tries. He will never be Fredex at pass protection, no question. A coward, though? Please.

I thought Spiller had another dismal game. He whimped out on the block that led to Orton's sack fumble. He can't break a play open to save his life. With his lack of ability to aid in stopping opponent's pass rush, I think he is more of a liability than an asset. I will be disappointed if he is back next year.

Your thoughts?

Its awful funny when he has a offensive line that can open holes & a OC that knows how to use his strengths he can average 6 YPC , this could be another fire Hackett post instead of keeping CJ ...

I like CJ and would like him to be part of the team. I do believe that, with a better interior line (on the Bills or another team), he will return to his prior production. I also think that he is a good teammate and is well liked by Fred and others on the team.

At the end of the day, it is going to depend on $$$$.