Positive Side - Bills were a playoff caliber team this year

Virgil

I know, they didn't make the playoffs and I'm as bitter as anyone else. It's beyond frustrating to see us waste such a great defensive performance and see our offense under-achieve with this coaching staff.

However....

For the first time in a long time, I can honestly say that we are a playoff caliber team. It's not that we are going to finish close to a playoff record. It's that, we all know that the Texans and Chiefs games were ones that we absolutely should have won. In fact, if we played them again 10 more times, I believe we absolutely would have.

We lost, I get it. We aren't in the playoffs, I get it. But this team, absolutely could have made it in this year regardless of all the crap we saw and it wouldn't be a stretch. It's not like previous years of, well if we could have just had 2 more wins or something like that. We not only could have had two more wins, we absolutely should have those two wins.

Maybe this is coming off stupid, but it makes sense in my mind right now. And it's something I haven't been able to think or feel in a long time.

With that, fire Hackett. If Marrone won't, then fire him too. Trade for a QB or sell the farm for a rookie in the first round. And resign this defense with whatever it takes.

We are there. We really are.

For the first time in a long time, I can honestly say that we are a playoff caliber team. It's not that we are going to finish close to a playoff record. It's that, we all know that the Texans and Chiefs games were ones that we absolutely should have won. In fact, if we played them again 10 more times, I believe we absolutely would have.

We lost, I get it. We aren't in the playoffs, I get it. But this team, absolutely could have made it in this year regardless of all the crap we saw and it wouldn't be a stretch. It's not like previous years of, well if we could have just had 2 more wins or something like that. We not only could have had two more wins, we absolutely should have those two wins.

Not quite playoff caliber. If we were, then we would have beaten the Chiefs, Texans or Raiders. We were closer than we have been in a decade though. Let's see how much they can improve on offense and how well they can at least maintain the quality of the defense going into next year.

I know, they didn't make the playoffs and I'm as bitter as anyone else. It's beyond frustrating to see us waste such a great defensive performance and see our offense under-achieve with this coaching staff.

However....

Maybe this is coming off stupid, but it makes sense in my mind right now. And it's something I haven't been able to think or feel in a long time.

With that, fire Hackett. If Marrone won't, then fire him too. Trade for a QB or sell the farm for a rookie in the first round. And resign this defense with whatever it takes.

Love to be there with you on this post and have some sober thoughts on the season but after 15 years I am just too disgusted to look at the bright side. We have been close to the playoffs too many times since 99 only to choke, blow it or have an act of God crush our hopes. Its just too much to think positive at this stage. You would think that with this fan base and some of the personnel we have had over that time, the law of averages, luck or whatever would have at least made it in once. But as I realized with the 4 straight SB losses there is no such thing as luck or the law of averages with this team.

Last year, this team was 6-10 and we all felt like they were more 8-8. This year, the team will finish 8-8 but we all think they should've been 10-6.

Sounds like the talent and the opportunities are there — if every bounce went their way. On the other hand, they could have been all bad bounces too and ended 6-10. Things evened out and they are the record that they should be.

Now, thankfully, they're improving, look like they're headed in the right direction. There's a good core to build around on defense. If this team had an offensive line even 1/4 as dominant as the defensive line, we'd be in the playoffs.

On the other hand, I feel like I say this every year.

We are a QB and competent HC away from the playoffs. If Marrone were competent, he would have seen that Hackett was not ready for prime time OC duties and would have brought someone who can run an offense. Hackett might be ready to be a position coach but not an OC. Hackett was schooled by one of the worst offenses in the league. I can't see Marrone taking this team to the playoffs. His accolades this year have been more a by-product of Schwartz's work on defense.

Negative side - 15 years

Very refreshing and insightful post. Well done.

What does that mean?Play off caliber teams actually MAKE the playoffs.

Not necessarily. A team from the NFC south with a losing record will not only make the playoffs over a much more deserving "playoff caliber" team, but they will host a playoff game. It's not as black and white as you're making it sound.

What does playoff caliber mean? Does it mean that a team has enough talent to make the playoffs? If that is what we are agreeing then I agree with the OP.

Semantics...it's like the whole "franchise QB" term. What exactly does that mean?

Nothing new in what I'm about to say, but so as to not waste this defense...

First tier must dos:

get a real NFL QB no matter how or how much

improve the o-line. at a minimum we must get markedly better at 2 positions.

Second tier:

TE

RB

Everything else is depth or dependent on possible losses. Am I missing anything?

If you watched the games you would know this is not a playoff caliber team. Maybe in the NFC South. The offense is bottom 5. That is not going to get it done in the NFL.

The defense has two years before FA, salary cap, and age starts to pick it apart.

They need a wholesale upgrade of the offense. Cutler, two guards, a TE, and a RB might be enough to get to the playoffs next year.

Nothing new in what I'm about to say, but so as to not waste this defense...

First tier must dos:

get a real NFL QB no matter how or how much

improve the o-line. at a minimum we must get markedly better at 2 positions.

Second tier:

TE

RB

Everything else is depth or dependent on possible losses. Am I missing anything?

Agreed. Wood is ranked as the 27th best Center in NFL (ProFootballFocus.com) and he's our best lineman. LT regressed and RT is raw. OGs are both pitiful. Need to get better across the line. C and OT are average while OGs are an embarrassment. Maybe the rooks will develop during the off-season?

However....

A Playoff team beats the Raiders.

The Bills have a playoff D and DIII offense.

/thread.

Having a good QB is the great equalizer. Just about every playoff team is about an 8-9 win team with flaws-- but they have QBs who win them a game or two when they need it. Rivers against the niners last week is a good example.

I thought what Marrone said yesterday was telling-- that without very good QB play you have a chance to win 10 or 11 games at best. He gets it. That's why our margin for error is so small. Problem is, finding a decent QB is almost impossible based on just skill in drafting. You need to get lucky. And luck is something that the Bills have precious little of. Otherwise you dumpster dive, and the results are predictable. That's the problem when only about a dozen human beings can play QB in the NFL at a B/B+ level or better.

Edited by Casey D

For the first time in a long time, I can honestly say that we are a playoff caliber team.

The Bills are absolutely NOT a playoff caliber team. The offense is pathetic, and there is little hope of it getting much better this off season.

The defense and special teams are playoff caliber, but everything on the offensive side of the ball from coaches to players, with the exception of a couple players, are not.

How can you make a statement about the Bills being "there" with that offense, no QB, and no first round pick this draft?

Edited by CodeMonkey

It's ironic how offensively going into the season the expectation was to have a very good rushing team and our ground game has been a gigantic steaming pile of dog poo

Spiller was hurt most of the season, and not an every down back even when healthy. I love Fred, but he is old, the other backs are rejects from other teams, and the offensive line is mediocre on a good day. That doesn't add up to a good running game.

Playoff caliber? Bah, the Bills were Super Bowl caliber. Make that Super Bowl DYNASTY caliber. We just needed to stop being such pussywhips and blow the other losers halfway to china!! WTF is with the pessimism? I BILLIEVE! BILLIEVE! BILLIEVE!! AHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uqjznmTp80

Edited by negativo

However....

My opinion is they are not a playoff caliber team and still far from it, they have no offense, poor coaching, poor drafting, and a weak FO.

We lost to a 2-12 team. This is not a playoff caliber team

We will likey get smoked by the Pats* this weekend in a game that's means absolutly zip

Finally some reality. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Bills are absolutely NOT a playoff caliber team. The offense is pathetic, and there is little hope of it getting much better this off season.

The defense and special teams are playoff caliber, but everything on the offensive side of the ball from coaches to players, with the exception of a couple players, are not.

How can you make a statement about the Bills being "there" with that offense, no QB, and no first round pick this draft?

Someone else who lives in Realville. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

However....

Not even !@#$ing close. Both Guards aren't good, we do not have a QB on this roster worth a ****. We wasted next years 1st on a WR that was clearly 3rd in his draft class. And yes Hackett sucks as a play caller. This team over achieved big time due to the Defense

i like the positivism by the OP.

I think we need to remind ourselves who we beat and how we beat them.

The teams that beat Buffalo were more complete teams.

Buffalo does not have a qb and does not have great coaching on the offensive side of the ball.

I wish it was something more but i am not sold.

Bills will probably be the 'sleeper' team from the AFC heading into next year.

With the season on the line the Bills blew it in Oakland against a 2-12 team. To me that is inexcusable. How do you change that?

Not sure, the is up the the Pegula's to figure out. There is where you need to point your optimism at, new ownership. Maybe this will be the culture change and ultimately bring a SB winner to Buffalo.