Tom Donohoe

I still remember shaking his hand at a game when he was walking out of the tunnel to the field.

This was after the Bledsoe trade and I said I like what you have done with the team.

He said “Give us 5 years and then you will really love it”

That SOB lied to me

CBF

The three biggest lies:

The check's in the mail.

Of course I'll respect you in the morning.

Give us 5 years and then you will really love it.

I know it isn't popular opinion around here, but I really believe this playoff drought would not be going on 14 years had Donohoe not been fired. He wasn't perfect, and a bit of a control freak, I know...but they were a lot closer to being a playoff team when he left than they had been...up til now!

I still remember shaking his hand at a game when he was walking out of the tunnel to the field.

This was after the Bledsoe trade and I said I like what you have done with the team.

He said “Give us 5 years and then you will really love it”

That SOB lied to me

CBF

haha--this is great.

Should have been, "Give us 5 years and I will really run this thing into the ground."

I actually was a big TD fan for a long time.

I know it isn't popular opinion around here, but I really believe this playoff drought would not be going on 14 years had Donohoe not been fired. He wasn't perfect, and a bit of a control freak, I know...but they were a lot closer to being a playoff team when he left than they had been...up til now!

Hard to argue with this. I wanted Donahoe gone so badly at the time but the grass is always greener.

Lot of bitterness at the end, including on the stadium sign bans, etc.

In hindsight, he gave us our best shot. He just screwed up his coaching hire.

He scrwed up more than just his coaching hires. His drafts were not good and he cared more about his ego and being talk of the league then building a team.

Gave up a first round pick for Bledsoe only to trade up and use another first round pick plus on another QB 2 years later

What really pissed me off about TD though was when he said after he was hired the Bills should have been in the playoffs and then almost immediately started to dismantle the team. I know they had cap issues but come on, you dont say that then completely tear the team apart.

Edited by Max997

Lot of bitterness at the end, including on the stadium sign bans, etc.

In hindsight, he gave us our best shot. He just screwed up his coaching hire.

s

"Screwed up his coaching hire" is an understatement. He hired guys that were on no ones radar. I believe he did this so that the head coach was beholding to him. Donohoe was never going to lose a power struggle like he did to Cowher.

Yes. But his tenure had at least a couple high points. Marv, Brandon (as GM) and Nix can't really say the same. Whaley? We'll see.

Agreed.

Marv, Brandon, and Nix is about as rough of an era as I can recall. Here are the low-lights:

1) Coaching Hires-- Jauron, Fewell, Gailey

2) 1st Round Picks-- Whitner, McCargo, Maybin

3) Wins in each season-- 7, 7, 7, 4, 6, 6, 6

4) Other-- Toronto series

I thought it was splendid. After all the Bills had been a winning team basically my entire life, and who was I to question a proven track record like that?

Yeah, that was a long time ago.

I didn't like the hire when it was made then hearing why TD hired him made me hate it even more.

I disagree. Look at his first round picks:

Nate Clements. Result: played well for the Bills, especially in his contract year. Left a year after his rookie contract ended. Didn't set the world on fire after the 49ers overpaid for him.

Mike Williams. Result: Bust.

Drew Bledsoe (trade). Result: had eight spectacular games as a Bill. During his remaining 2.5 years, he failed to match the numbers Trent Edwards would later put up. (Which is really sad.) Was released at the end of his third year.

Willis McGahee. Result: Was a reasonably good RB for the Bills. Was traded away for two third round picks.

Lee Evans (13th overall). Result: a good #2 WR/deep burner, who didn't have what it took to be a #1 guy.

J.P. Losman. Result: Bust.

None of his first round picks turned into solid, long-term answers at their respective positions. The same could also be said about any player he drafted in rounds 2 - 7 not named Aaron Schobel. During his last year as GM, the Bills went 5-11. Not only were we 5-11, but it was an aging team. :angry: Some of its best talent including guys like Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy, and London Fletcher. That team had no quarterback, no offensive line, no receivers except Lee Evans, no tight end, not much on the defensive line except Aaron Schobel, and an aging linebacker corps. The secondary consisted of a mix of older players, or guys like Nate Clements who had one foot out the door.

Agreed.

Marv, Brandon, and Nix is about as rough of an era as I can recall. Here are the low-lights:

1) Coaching Hires-- Jauron, Fewell, Gailey

2) 1st Round Picks-- Whitner, McCargo, Maybin

3) Wins in each season-- 7, 7, 7, 4, 6, 6, 6

4) Other-- Toronto series

They didn't hire Fewell though did they? He was interim.

I disagree. Donohoe completely undermined his coaching staff by insisting they start a woefully not ready JP Losman on the heels of releasing Bledsoe who had the unquestioned support of every veteran on that team. He couldn't have screwed the pooch more.

GO BILLS!!!

There's actually 4 big lies, "Yes, you are the biggest I've ever had!"

The three biggest lies:

The check's in the mail.

Of course I'll respect you in the morning.

Give us 5 years and then you will really love it.

I disagree. Donohoe completely undermined his coaching staff by insisting they start a woefully not ready JP Losman on the heels of releasing Bledsoe who had the unquestioned support of every veteran on that team. He couldn't have screwed the pooch more.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure about that. I remember thinking that Losman may not be ready but Bledsoe was pretty well shot. Meaning he was a 8-8, 9-7 type QB. Hell, Losman was almost as good on a crappier team (offensively for sure) than Bledsoe had. And that seemed to be proven the rest of Drew's career. That's not to say he couldn't put a game or two together where he looked like his old self. But he didn't look like he was going to be a playoff QB anymore. That Dallas team had some really good players offensively and he was just okay.

Donahoe was a weird GM, for every good move he made (London, Spikes, Peerless Price trade, Clements, Schobel, and Adams) he made 2 bad ones (Letting Pat Williams go, Losman trade, drafting Willis, Mike Williams pick, both of his coaching hires, ignoring the offensive line when you had a pocket passer, and Josh Reed among others). He made lots of both types of moves, more bad than good for sure. Only thing I liked about his tenure was that he was able to bring good free agents to the team something that wasn't done from 2006 till the Mario signing.

I'm not sure about that. I remember thinking that Losman may not be ready but Bledsoe was pretty well shot. Meaning he was a 8-8, 9-7 type QB. Hell, Losman was almost as good on a crappier team (offensively for sure) than Bledsoe had. And that seemed to be proven the rest of Drew's career. That's not to say he couldn't put a game or two together where he looked like his old self. But he didn't look like he was going to be a playoff QB anymore. That Dallas team had some really good players offensively and he was just okay.

Bledsoe definitely regressed, but he still owned that lockerroom and it pissed off the veteran leadership when they released him. He hadn't regressed to the point that veteran leadership thought an untested, unpopular 2nd year QB should just be handed the reigns without doing anything to prove he was any better than Bledsoe previously. It was unanimous among the vets on that team, especially Vincent and Milloy. But just from a football perspective it made little sense. JP wasn't near ready and he was forced into the lineup way too soon.

GO BILLS!!!

Bledsoe definitely regressed, but he still owned that lockerroom and it pissed off the veteran leadership when they released him. He hadn't regressed to the point that veteran leadership thought an untested, unpopular 2nd year QB should just be handed the reigns without doing anything to prove he was any better than Bledsoe previously. It was unanimous among the vets on that team, especially Vincent and Milloy. But just from a football perspective it made little sense. JP wasn't near ready and he was forced into the lineup way too soon.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah. I agree. And it's a lot easier to agree in retrospect. I remember thinking it's not going to be easy for the Losman, or Bledsoe, or the team, if they just hand the team to Losman and Bledsoe is just sitting there stewing. But Losman was clearly not ready. And he may not have endeared himself to the team as a rookie. But Vincent was the ass for taking him out and injuring him.

Yes. But his tenure had at least a couple high points. Marv, Brandon (as GM) and Nix can't really say the same. Whaley? We'll see.

Donahoe had major faults and made several poor decisions. But at least the organization had a legitimate sense as if they were competing. Hiring Marv, promoting a guy with no personnel experience in Brandon, and promoting Nix from within came off as amateur hour at OBD. None of those guys were worthy of being NFL GM's.

I disagree. Look at his first round picks:

Nate Clements. Result: played well for the Bills, especially in his contract year. Left a year after his rookie contract ended. Didn't set the world on fire after the 49ers overpaid for him.

Mike Williams. Result: Bust.

Drew Bledsoe (trade). Result: had eight spectacular games as a Bill. During his remaining 2.5 years, he failed to match the numbers Trent Edwards would later put up. (Which is really sad.) Was released at the end of his third year.

Willis McGahee. Result: Was a reasonably good RB for the Bills. Was traded away for two third round picks.

Lee Evans (13th overall). Result: a good #2 WR/deep burner, who didn't have what it took to be a #1 guy.

J.P. Losman. Result: Bust.

None of his first round picks turned into solid, long-term answers at their respective positions. The same could also be said about any player he drafted in rounds 2 - 7 not named Aaron Schobel. During his last year as GM, the Bills went 5-11. Not only were we 5-11, but it was an aging team. :angry: Some of its best talent including guys like Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy, and London Fletcher. That team had no quarterback, no offensive line, no receivers except Lee Evans, no tight end, not much on the defensive line except Aaron Schobel, and an aging linebacker corps. The secondary consisted of a mix of older players, or guys like Nate Clements who had one foot out the door.

Add in the coaching hires and chastising the fans for him having to fire Williams and it may just make him the worst. He is the reason for the mess this team has been in since. Ralph gave him more control than anyone had ever had. Donohoe is why Ralph brought Marv back and then Nix.