What show to start?

The Underdog

Just knocked out the first 3 episodes of house of cards. I know I'm late to the party but I'm loving it.

Eating ribs at 8 am like a boss.

Eh, I still haven't finished season 3... It lost its spark, IMO.

I won't give anything away because the first 2 seasons are very good... But I think they could/should have ended it there.

For anyone who doesn't watch Walking Dead I would of course highly recommend it (probably my favorite non-comedy tv series ever).

Then there's Daredevil which I liked but I can't say I thought it was as great as others have made it out to be.

Also like Poldark, set in post American Revolution England

That show is my guilty pleasure...I was a bit reluctant to watch it at first, now I'm completely hooked...sadly I feel slightly less of a man for liking it.

Can't believe nobody mentioned Power. It's on Starz. It's currently in the middle of season two. Amazing show.

Shameless was mentioned a lot. It is a must.

Better Call Saul.

12 Monkeys on Syfy is surprisingly good and I am certainly not a Syfy channel watcher. Talk about your serious mind bender (the last few episodes especially). Binge watched the entire first season in 3 days. It won't disappoint.

Edited by Mark80

Finished True Detective Season 1 last week. The final episode, in my opinion, was awful.

Just started Hannibal. Two episodes into the first season. Not sure yet. Looks like it will be very repetitive and predictable.

Watched the first two seasons of rectify. The third is on now and off to a slow start.

The Following with Kevin Bacon was great and I actually like that it got canceled before the writers could muck up a series finale. The last episode of the third season (which turned out to be the last episode) was good enough for me.

I also loved SOA and Breaking Bad of course.

My favorite of all time, however, was Rescue Me.

Rescue Me was awesome.

I'm anticipating Denis Leary's next show Sex, Drugs and rock and roll which should be on fx soon.

First episode was on last week. i really like Leary, I think he is the main writer. It was ok but maybe he has watched spinal tap a bit

Too often for some inspiration though.

• 4 months later...

Bump.

Watched The Wire, (finally) and it was/is fantastic. Finished Ray Donovan first three seasons, and hope season 4 will follow suit in what is a very, very entertaining drama.

Saw plenzmd1's thread about Fargo. That's one I definitely need to check out.

Bump.

Finished Ray Donovan first three seasons, and hope season 4 will follow suit in what is a very, very entertaining drama.

Ray Donovan is on my list, I have heard good things about it. I watch most of the Showtime shows (Masters of Sex, The Affair, Homeland, Shameless) and they are all pretty good, but this is one I haven't started yet.

Edited by ricojes

Finished True Detective Season 1 last week. The final episode, in my opinion, was awful.

I completely agree. Sad thing is, the first 6 episodes, I thought, were pretty close to perfect..but the minute Woody and Mccounaughey met in real time, the show quickly spiraled out of control...it was terrible.

While I won't see it was horrible, I wouldn't necessarily recommend season two if you are undecided. There are some good things about it, but it was mostly just murky, rambling and kind of hard to follow/care after awhile. I will say, Collin Farrell was really good..but the writing was just not up to snuff...IMO

Bump.

Watched The Wire, (finally) and it was/is fantastic. Finished Ray Donovan first three seasons, and hope season 4 will follow suit in what is a very, very entertaining drama.

Which season of the wire did you like the best ? Such a great show. Some didn't care for season 2 (docks and the Greeks/sobotkas) and the newspaper season. I liked them all. Chris and Snoop were excellent thugs.

Current shows that I'm loving are Fargo and The affair. (Mcnulty from wire stars in the affair)

Which season of the wire did you like the best ? Such a great show. Some didn't care for season 2 (docks and the Greeks/sobotkas) and the newspaper season. I liked them all. Chris and Snoop were excellent thugs.

Current shows that I'm loving are Fargo and The affair. (Mcnulty from wire stars in the affair)

I liked most of them, though I thought the final episode was a bit rushed and could have been developed a bit more. But on balance, the writing, acting, directing, casting, production, etc. was absolutely excellent throughout the series. It didn't lag much at all in any episode that I can recall. Some tremendous acting went on during that series.

I found McNulty to be a somewhat unsympathetic protagonist, though the show is seen through the eyes of many. I thought most of the African Americans were portrayed in a better light than the Caucasians that were in power. Some of them were real a-holes.

There's a lot of great drama, writing, directing, and production on display these days, and for the most part it's not on the silver screen - like was the case in years past. Every episode of some of these series runs almost like a full length feature film. They're infinitely more satisfying than the CGI/exploding barrels of gasoline/special effects that pass for drama and excitement in the movies nowadays.

I liked most of them, though I thought the final episode was a bit rushed and could have been developed a bit more. But on balance, the writing, acting, directing, casting, production, etc. was absolutely excellent throughout the series. It didn't lag much at all in any episode that I can recall. Some tremendous acting went on during that series.

I found McNulty to be a somewhat unsympathetic protagonist, though the show is seen through the eyes of many. I thought most of the African Americans were portrayed in a better light than the Caucasians that were in power. Some of them were real a-holes.

There's a lot of great drama, writing, directing, and production on display these days, and for the most part it's not on the silver screen - like was the case in years past. Every episode of some of these series runs almost like a full length feature film. They're infinitely more satisfying than the CGI/exploding barrels of gasoline/special effects that pass for drama and excitement in the movies nowadays.

When I re-watched The Wire the season 2 plot was my favorite with Ziggy, The Greek, Sobotka, Nick, Sergie the russian and the connection with Prop Joe. Then you had all the separate stuff with Barksdale, Stringer, Omar etc. still going on. Season 2 had the most complex plot and interesting characters. The season 4 and 5 plots (school and fake serial killer) were really bad seasons, especially 5.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Rescue Me was awesome.

I'm anticipating Denis Leary's next show Sex, Drugs and rock and roll which should be on fx soon.

He is executive producer on Benders. Hilarious show on IFC.

Bump.

Watching Monday's episode in a few hours on the plane, can't wait!

. The season 4 and 5 plots (school and fake serial killer) were really bad seasons, especially 5.

Loved both those seasons. I thought the school season really gave you a sense of how little chance most of these kids have of ever escaping the lower economic class. Sometimes we suburban white guys can forget how much having decent schools meant in our lives.

In terms of 5, I think the dude who played the reporter either wrote or directed Spotlight.

Edited by plenzmd1