What show to start?

The Underdog

Wait...what?? I thought the Sopranos was great in those middle years. My only issue was the first 1/2 of the final season (the Vito stuff went on much too long).

Yes, because we needed so much more of Bobbie Bacala and family, Tony's sister, AJ and __[the sister]___,. And Dr. Melfi. Yes so much more of her.

I watched every episode but it's the early years that sustained me in the wasteland of the later years. Remember the dream episode? Terrible.

An unfinished masterpiece: Deadwood.

i liked all of the sopranos as well, but it did have "slow" moments in just about every season

The Wire was the most steadily awesome (lack of more artistic terms) show ever produced

Season Five was not way out in left field either...not sure why you would remember it that way...focused on the paper (each season focused on a new element of baltimore - docks, politics, school, paper), the showdown between marlos group and omar, and wraps up just about every thing out there (michael even becomes "the new omar" in the stick up game)...season 5 was boss

The school season has to be one of the best single seasons of any show ever.

Yes, because we needed so much more of Bobbie Bacala and family, Tony's sister, AJ and __[the sister]___,. And Dr. Melfi. Yes so much more of her.

I watched every episode but it's the early years that sustained me in the wasteland of the later years. Remember the dream episode? Terrible.

two things - I never watched deadwood but ive heard its awesome....its not on netflix though...worth buying?

second - school season is awesome, but I think im partial to season 3...it seemed like the "most gangster" of seasons...and i could be partial to it because that was the season that I started watching the show

All of the yes's to Deadwood. It's been a while since a guy gave monologues while being fellated like Al Swerenger could.

(Ian McShane is a beast, Pillars of the earth with him was pretty great as well)

Agree with Paat on the wire I liked all the seasons. The sobotkas on the docks all the way to presbo going out of his way to bring clothes for dookie. Only boring part to me was Scott at the newspaper but it even had a good angle with the govt BS and McNulty's devious plan.

two things - I never watched deadwood but ive heard its awesome....its not on netflix though...worth buying?

second - school season is awesome, but I think im partial to season 3...it seemed like the "most gangster" of seasons...and i could be partial to it because that was the season that I started watching the show

Deadwood is my favorite show ever but that's a personal preference. It's Shakespeare in the Wild West. An interesting challenge. The "villian" is one of the greatest characters in TV history.

The school season was just utterly gripping and real feeling. The Wire is a masterpiece end to end.

School one I agree on. The final storyline with mcnulty (being courteous with avoiding spoilers) was pretty ridiculous and the season felt a little more thrown together than the rest. I believe even DS acknowledges it as the weakest. Still good, but compared to previous (such as the school) it's a big dip.

i believe 3 and 4 are usually considered some of the best of the best all time (with the school one normally catching a slight edge), 1 and 2 very good and 5 typically the straggler in rankings ive seen through the years.

My favorite season of The Wire was 3. I preferred the Barksdale plot over Marlos crew and season 3 was the end of that story. Season 5 was my least favorite and would put it in the same disappointment as Sopranos Season 6: Part One.

I laugh every time I hear the name Ziggy. A lot of people didn't like season 2, I think it is the most underrated of the series.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

My favorite season of The Wire was 3. I preferred the Barksdale plot over Marlos crew and season 3 was the end of that story. Season 5 was my least favorite and would put it in the same disappointment as Sopranos Season 6: Part One.

I laugh every time I hear the name Ziggy. A lot of people didn't like season 2, I think it is the most underrated of the series.

best part - ziggy is based on a real person.

i liked all of the sopranos as well, but it did have "slow" moments in just about every season

The Wire was the most steadily awesome (lack of more artistic terms) show ever produced

Season Five was not way out in left field either...not sure why you would remember it that way...focused on the paper (each season focused on a new element of baltimore - docks, politics, school, paper), the showdown between marlos group and omar, and wraps up just about every thing out there (michael even becomes "the new omar" in the stick up game)...season 5 was boss

I thought the last season of The Sopranos was outstanding. However, David Chase did say that if HBO hadn't asked him to add 8 eps. to it he wouldn't have included the Veto/outing storyline. That being said, I liked what came of it. Poor Veto should have stayed in NH. I love how they turned Veto's death into part of the escalation of tensions between NJ and NY, culminating in a short war with Phil's head being squashed like a melon.

The last 8eps. of 6 also included one of the great ones of all-time, "Luxury Lounge." How do you argue with an ep. w/ Ben Kingsley and Lauren Bacall in it. Check out this ep. w/ the directors commentary on. Awesome.

I agree w/ your view on The Wire's 5th season. The manipulation and spin by the Mayor's office was wonderful.

Agreed 100% with your views on The Sopranos. IMO the most overrated show ever. 1st 2 seasons were dynamite. Then it tapered off and the rest of the series didn't take you anywhere. The one that really gets me was the Jackie Junior plot arc that dominated the one season (4?).

I would Vikings from history channel which starts in the spring

Another awesome suggestion. First part of season 1 was difficult to get into but after that it really took off

Hell on Wheels

And another great suggestion

(Ian McShane is a beast, Pillars of the earth with him was pretty great as well)

Pillars of the Earth is another one worth watching. So is World Without End

HBOs Rome was great for the first season and a half. Last half of season 2 was pretty good, but rushed. The writers and producers had a 4 or 5 season plan, but HBO decided not to renew during season 2 so they had to cram seasons 3 and 4 into the last half of season 2.

Edited by /dev/null

I've watched 27 episodes of the Blacklist in the past 10 days. Granted I just got rid of DirecTV and only have antenna, but it's still a great show. James Spader is fantastic in it. Definitely worth a watch.

-Modern Family

-Band of Brothers is my favorite miniseries.

-FLCL

Agreed 100% with your views on The Sopranos. IMO the most overrated show ever. 1st 2 seasons were dynamite. Then it tapered off and the rest of the series didn't take you anywhere. The one that really gets me was the Jackie Junior plot arc that dominated the one season (4?).

Sure, the television show that raised the bar for adult programming on televison, maybe the show most responsible for this current "golden age" of quality televison that people just take for granted now, is the "most overrated show ever". :rolleyes:

I've watched 27 episodes of the Blacklist in the past 10 days. Granted I just got rid of DirecTV and only have antenna, but it's still a great show. James Spader is fantastic in it. Definitely worth a watch.

-Modern Family

-Band of Brothers is my favorite miniseries.

-FLCL

I really like The Blacklist, the "mid-season" finale was well done. I just hope it doesn't get too "out there" the longer it goes on, the opening scene this season had me nervous that it was going in that direction. I used to be a Persons of Interest fan, but that show just got too ridiculous. You have only shoot so many people in the knee...

Modern Family is one of my favorites as well...

is blackish worth watching? i do like anthony anderson

Some shows worth checking out that haven't been mentioned:

(Comedy)

Broad City (comedy central, most eps are streaming, new season starts soon)

Workaholics (Comedy Central, new season starts soon as well)

Blackish (ABC, new show, pretty funny thus far)