What show to start?

The Underdog

Along the lines of shows like The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad, I highly recommend The Shield.

It's one you have to start at the beginning and watch in order, but it's one of the best TV dramas I've ever seen. It's gritty without being blatantly gratuitous (SOA) and touches on the human element of good people going bad, but more subtly and artfully than Breaking Bad.

The best part, IMO, is that the good guys aren't always good, they don't always escape unscathed, and when they do it's because they did something intelligent, not because of dumb luck like we see all too often in shows and movies.

Edited by Rob's House

Along the lines of shows like The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad, I highly recommend The Shield.

It's one you have to start at the beginning and watch in order, but it's one of the best TV dramas I've ever seen. It's gritty without being blatantly gratuitous (SOA) and touches on the human element of good people going bad, but more subtly and artfully than Breaking Bad.

The best part, IMO, is that the good guys aren't always good, they don't always escape unscathed, and when they do it's because they did something intelligent, not because of dumb luck like we see all too often in shows and movies.

its also where kurt sutter got his start (SOA), and you will get good on screen showings from guys that went on to other shows mentioned in this thread (including the wire, justified, and SOA). it probably wouldve been next on my list to mention.

Don't start with The Wire because then every show you watch after it will never satisfy the craving for amazing television

So I would start with some of the other great shows mentioned in here and work up your appetite for the cinematic climax that is The Wire

I am halfway through the first episode of the new series, but Foo Fighters Sonic Highways is so far, pretty awesome, great insight in the music scenes, both historical and current of some of the major cities of the US. Kind of an extension of their incredible Sound City documentary from a couple years ago

Don't start with The Wire because then every show you watch after it will never satisfy the craving for amazing television

So I would start with some of the other great shows mentioned in here and work up your appetite for the cinematic climax that is The Wire

Unlike the Sopranos that went off a cliff and stayed down for 5 years, The Wire was always on top of its game through the end. Few shows have ever done that.

Is Gotham really good? I haven't gone past the pilot for personal reasons but it's still recording on my DVR. Should I go back?

I'm guessing the "personal reasons" have something to do with memories of your youth, Julie Newmar, fear of going blind and forgetting to lock the door just that one time. Am I way off?

I'm guessing the "personal reasons" have something to do with memories of your youth, Julie Newmar, fear of going blind and forgetting to lock the door just that one time. Am I way off?

Could be his youth, Julie Newmar, and Wesley Snipes in drag.