A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Big time kudos to Chandler today. 6 catches for 105 yards is more than one could ask for under the circumstances of todays game.

2) I am NOT going to fault Gilmore on the TD pass that he gave up. The coverage was near perfect, and Brady had a month to throw because of the sub-par coaching of Schwartz. Actually, I thought that Gilmore played rather well today. More to come on Schwartz.

3) Duke Williams was SO bad today that I am uncomfortable talking about it. The pass interference call was about as bad a play as I have ever had the displeasure to watch. I hate to say it, but Searcy got toasted too. However, he looked great compared to Duke. It was just sickening to watch Williams.

4) I love the way that this team fights back. Mario, Spikes, Dareus, and Bradham never quit. They just kept playing for 4 quarters. Same with Woods, and Hogan. Players such as FJ and KW always do this. My point? I praise this team for going all out despite the loss.

5) On the first drive of the 3rd qtr., we rushed 3 on a 3rd and 9. This was a stupid move by Schwartz, and I was screaming this as the play was setting up. They made the first down and scored a TD on the following play.

6) I dropped four flights and cracked my spine,

Honey come quick with the iodine.

Catch a few winks down, under the bed;

Then head back to Tennessee, Jed

Tennessee, Tennessee,

There ain't no place I'd, rather be

Baby won't you carry me......

Back to Tennessee.

7) I think that we might just have a new weapon in Chris Hogan. It looks like Orton is able to utilize him too. This is good news on a dismal day.

8) A special shout-out to Bradham.....it is obvious how much he want to win football games. He truly is a pleasure to watch.

9) Schwartz reminds me of Jauron. The Pats OL didn't impress me, but he rarely pressured them. Imo, Schwartz employed a play not to lose philosophy. He was the biggest contributor in this loss today. If Petine was still here, we would have won. Schwartz sucked THAT bad. He was a flat out disaster.

10) Our OL wasn't THAT bad today from where I sat. Glenn DID get schooled by Jones on the play immediately after the deuce, but this is rare.

11) I have been accused of being too tough on Spiller. I am embarrassed to admit that against my better judgment, I backed off a bit. Those days are gone. CJ Spiller is a liability to this football team. He is virtually useless. He needs to be benched imo. Yes, BENCHED!!!!! We can comb through his stats and pretend that he is good, but he is not.

12) Orton, despite the OK stats, looked more rusty than he did last week. Wrt the pick to start the 2nd qtr., he had all day to throw. That said, he still blows EJ away.

13) The fact that the Jets and Dolphins lost does offer us hope. Bills Fans DO deserve hope.

14) Robert Woods is another player who really does want to win football games. I admire his effort and courage.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duke did have that one play to knock the ball from Gronk, but otherwise he was awful out there. We really missed AW. I agree that Gilmore had a good game. Our guys were mostly playing their hearts out, but Scwartz's refusal to blitz in obvious situations like the one you mentioned and the 3rd and 15 which basically sealed the game for them were mind-boggling.

Well done on nearly all accounts Bill.

The only part I sort of disagree with is the Jones sack--Orton had a good 4 seconds to throw there. Glenn did get beaten on that play though.

I was thoroughly disappointed in McKelvin today as well.

This team really missed Aaron Williams.

Well done on nearly all accounts Bill.

The only part I sort of disagree with is the Jones sack--Orton had a good 4 seconds to throw there. Glenn did get beaten on that play though.

I was thoroughly disappointed in McKelvin today as well.

This team really missed Aaron Williams.

We missed his play, energy and leadership in the secondary.

On to Minnesota.....just keep saying it. On to Minnesota......

Excellent analysis as always Bill. If there was ever a day to bring more pressure -- today was it...and the Bills schemed to bring less. I have heard people call for Marrone to take over play calling from Hackett-- we would have been better in the second half if someone else was calling the defense. Guess being carried off last week got to Schwartz's head.

Anyone still questioning how much #23 means to the team? Hope this is a one week absence.

I wouldn't be too quick to blame Shwartz. The defense, including the secondary, played lights out in the first half with the exception of the PI in the end zone given up by a player that really shouldn't even be on the field but is due to injuries. And at least we are still dominating against the run. Over the course of an entire season this should work in our favor because not every team has a QB on the level of Tom Brady. Of course, go figure, it just so happens we have to play both Rodgers and Peyton this year.

Before the game started I said the one thing i wanted to see the most was our run defense continue to dominate because the last few times the Patriots have played us they beat us by basically running the ball on us at will. Even though they had a good game through the air today they still want to be a run first team if possible.

I said it right before the game, and I'll say it here: Hogan is underrated on these boards. He had a great game IMO, especially for someone who has gotten as few snaps as him.

CJ should be benched. But, it's not all on him. If an RB on our team can't move the pile, or run through a defender that's a good 75lbs heavier, they don't have a chance. Still-- bench Spiller.

Fred was not himself today. Ankle? Illness"? Combination of the two? Yet, he still rocked. Such an important player to our team.

Today, we were out-coached.

12) Orton, despite the OK stats, looked more rusty than he did last week. Wrt the pick to start the 2nd qtr., he had all day to throw. That said, he still blows EJ away.

Totally ridiculous. Orton is only slightly better than Manuel right now. Those two turnovers that Orton made in the first half got the Pats' rolling. There's no denying this.

If you're impressed by passing stats, then yes Orton blows Manuel away. However, turnovers are the most important stat and Manuel seemed much better than Orton at protecting the ball.

I'm ok with watching Orton start a couple of more games, but if this definition of a journeyman QB thinks he can get away with making killer turnovers and keep his starting job over a 1st rd selected QB who had a decent win/loss record then he's got another thing coming.

Edited by 1billsfan

Thanks listened to the game. Glad I didn't watch

Didn't realize a lot of this stuff was going on - MWilliams benched, OL sucking etc.

No comment on officiating? The radio was all over it.

Also I am fine with Spiller remaining a Bill if he is signed for >$4.5mm yr and 3 yrs than played on ST and used as a split / H back. Otherwise good ridance

#10) I still have a big problem with a line that can't run block to save their lives. I have a problem with an offensive coordinator who can't figure out how to build a decent run game against the 17th ranked run defense. Then tries to have a QB who hasn't been starting for a few years try and throw almost 40 times again....against the 5th ranked pass defense. simply moronic!

The very last thing I would want to try and do is have a shootout against Tom Brady. I would make the run game the most important part of the offense to keep the ball away from ole Tom.

How can ya rail on Spiller when Fred Jackson got more carries and a worse YPC average. Buffalo Bills net yards rushing, 23 rushes for a total 68 yards!

Fred Jackson 10 attempts for 26 yards, a 2.6 YPC average.- Anthony Dixon 7 attempts for 27 yards, a 3.8 YPC average.- CJ Spiller 6 attempts for 19 yards, a 3.1 YPC average.

Let's face it. This teams offense is being schemed, game planned, and called by a person who shouldn't be an NFL coordinator. JMO

Totally ridiculous. Orton is only slightly better than Manuel right now. Those two turnovers that Orton made in the first half got the Pats' rolling. There's no denying this.

If you're impressed by passing stats, then yes Orton blows Manuel away. However, turnovers are the most important stat and Manuel seemed much better than Orton at protecting the ball.

I'm ok with watching Orton start a couple of more games, but if this definition of a journeyman QB thinks he can get away with making killer turnovers and keep his starting job over a 1st rd selected QB who had a decent win/loss record then he's got another thing coming.

I suppose I can understand your criticisms of Orton. That said, EJ is an absolute disgrace. One you should get over too. Orton is a pro. EJ is/was a flat out nightmare; a guarantee to lose football games.

Edited by Bill from NYC

4) I love the way that this team fights back. Mario, Spikes, Dareus, and Bradham never quit. They just kept playing for 4 quarters. Same with Woods, and Hogan. Players such as FJ and KW always do this. My point? I praise this team for going all out despite the loss.

Maybe 3 quarters, but the D disappeared in the 4th quarter. The D line was especially disappointing given the number of backups on the Pats O line.

Please. EJ would have thrown for 180 yards in this game and completed 48% of his passes with a ypa below 6 and one turnover. I will take the two turnovers to one turnover every time in that situation. Orton proved last week that you can overcome turnovers by continuing to take shots down the field and completing passes. Something EJ could not do in the Houston game.

11) I have been accused of being too tough on Spiller. I am embarrassed to admit that against my better judgment, I backed off a bit. Those days are gone. CJ Spiller is a liability to this football team. He is virtually useless. He needs to be benched imo. Yes, BENCHED!!!!! We can comb through his stats and pretend that he is good, but he is not.

I disagree that Spiller's a liability. He's fast, quick, and is a threat to break a big play any time he gets the ball in space. That's not a liability. The liability lies in the brains of the people trying to use him as a between-the-tackles tailback behind a line that can't get him in to space.

And that's why he should be "benched" - on this offense, he's no more than a situational player. He's in no way fit to be the starting RB on this team.

Hackett stinks, been saying it since early last year.

Marrone needs to fire him tonight.

Hackett has no clue what he is doing or how to use his weapons.

And I am tired of watching Marrone look like a moron!

Best part of today was hope...hope that Pegula will right the ship...clean house after the season and change the losing culture

#10) I still have a big problem with a line that can't run block to save their lives. I have a problem with an offensive coordinator who can't figure out how to build a decent run game against the 17th ranked run defense. Then tries to have a QB who hasn't been starting for a few years try and throw almost 40 times again....against the 5th ranked pass defense. simply moronic!

The very last thing I would want to try and do is have a shootout against Tom Brady. I would make the run game the most important part of the offense to keep the ball away from ole Tom.

How can ya rail on Spiller when Fred Jackson got more carries and a worse YPC average. Buffalo Bills net yards rushing, 23 rushes for a total 68 yards!

Fred Jackson 10 attempts for 26 yards, a 2.6 YPC average.- Anthony Dixon 7 attempts for 27 yards, a 3.8 YPC average.- CJ Spiller 6 attempts for 19 yards, a 3.1 YPC average.

Let's face it. This teams offense is being schemed, game planned, and called by a person who shouldn't be an NFL coordinator. JMO

after he's done virtually nothing all season your still making excuses. Now your saying that because nobody else is doing anything, we shouldn't be down on him. How about we have up am extra 3 points directly related to his butterfingers. How bout he can't get around the edge against NFL defensemen. How bout he doesn't have the vision to find the hole for even 3 yards up the middle.

Regardless of the OLine sucks or not, the RB position has been a dissapoontment. A change needs to happen.

I suppose I can understand your criticisms of Orton. That said, EJ is an absolute disgrace. One you should get over too. Orton is a pro. EJ is/was a flat out nightmare; a guarantee to lose football games.

Well said, Bill.

It's weird how many people don't tune into this. I'm not sure why that is.

Orton is no sort of long term solution, we all know that. Doesn't mean EJ still isn't a disgrace though!

The truth is hard to admit sometimes -- they're better than us. Still. And the overwhelming reason is Tom Brady. Call him soft, call him Marcia, call him what you want, he's a Hall of Famer, one of the all time greats, still (unfortunately) playing at a very high level, and middling Kyle Orton or Ryan Fitzpatrick types, or young guys who aren't blue chip prospects like Losman or Edwards or EJ don't beat him unless he beats himself. Which happened once or twice this year, but hasn't happened very often over the last 14 seasons.

Best part of today was hope...hope that Pegula will right the ship...clean house after the season and change the losing culture

Hope is positively in sight, and I couldn't be happier about the upcoming years for this team. See Below.

Orton isn't rusty, he is another back up the BILLS are trying to make a starter. Get use to what you saw today from Orton, we will see it the next year+.

The Duke Williams PI play was the worse play I have seen in awhile watching football. Sit'em.

We missed A.Williams big time.

Oh, I highly doubt that. If this team falls on its face I think there will be big changes all around. Kyle Orton is not the best weapon on the offense, it should be Sammy

Kim Pegula will be the new CEO, and there is already talks the the Pegula's will hire a known football man like Ernie Accorsi, Mike Holmgren, Ron Wolf.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24749471/accorsi-holmgren-wolf-candidates-to-help-bills-ownership-transition

I suppose I can understand your criticisms of Orton. That said, EJ is an absolute disgrace. One you should get over too. Orton is a pro. Ej is/was a flat out nightmare; a guarantee to lose football games.

Disgrace? A project QB that was developed by Marrone and Hackett, two guys who have no business being in charge of developing project QBs, is what the real disgrace is.

At least Manuel will have another chance to make a first impression with a real coaching staff (Holmgren?) that knows what they're doing. Marrone and Hackett blew their chance when Belichick made them his bi@#ches today. Manuel's a young guy, he actually has a valid excuse for sucking because a lot of QBs sucked early in their career and eventually made a name for themselves.

I don't want to see the house cleaned. That's what they've continually done over the past 10-15 years and it doesn't work. At some point they have to keep building. What would change with a new coach or GM? We would just be starting all over again. Hackett is a change that I can get on board with. I think he is totally over-matched.

The O-line was a focal point last off-season and it should continue to be a focal point once the season is over. And they need to re-sign Spikes and Hughes. CJ is obviously not someone Hackett will ever be able to utilize so he should go. I don't think he would get them anything decent in a trade though.

Edited by purple haze

My thoughts are simple. The offensive game planning was horrid. Sitting next to the lady next to me, I was calling pass short/screen; pass middle; and pass long almost 90% of the time. Does anyone think I'm so much smarter than the Pats? No. Moving on, the execution was horrid too. you have TWO.FIVE seconds to pass the GOD DAMN football. if you wait to FOUR, you get sacked. Orton looked pretty much every bit like EJ, except he actually made a few throws and took some shots. None the less, that's not saying a lot. A "L" is the "L" no matter how you lices

after he's done virtually nothing all season your still making excuses. Now your saying that because nobody else is doing anything, we shouldn't be down on him. How about we have up am extra 3 points directly related to his butterfingers. How bout he can't get around the edge against NFL defensemen. How bout he doesn't have the vision to find the hole for even 3 yards up the middle.

Regardless of the OLine sucks or not, the RB position has been a dissapoontment. A change needs to happen.

I suppose the fact that Fred Jackson did worse then Spiller has no effect on you or your crusade against Spiller. Ya just refuse to let it go.

I can only hope that very soon the Bills hire a decent OC who has the acumen to know how to utilize a weapon like Spiller before he leaves. I really, really want to see you eat all your hate for the guy.

I noticed that the guy the Bills spent two #1 picks draft picks on, and a 4th only saw the ball for 2 receptions for 27 yards. extrapolate that out, and then think about how much better the offense would have been if the bills OC had thrown to him more. Screen plays, reverses, fake reverses, find a way to get him the ball in space. At this rate I gotta wonder how long it will be before you start with the next crusade against Watkins.

Understand this. The current Bills OC is not qualified to run an NFL offense.

Orton isn't rusty, he is another back up the BILLS are trying to make a starter. Get use to what you saw today from Orton, we will see it the next year+.

The Duke Williams PI play was the worse play I have seen in awhile watching football. Sit'em.

We missed A.Williams big time.

Excellent points all. Hate to say it, but this team aint goin' anywhere with Orton at the helm. Rather see the young guy sink or swim.

I'm shocked that CJ had a better YPC than Fred. That just shows how useless that stat is and must be skewed by one good run. Fred made the plays that needed to be made. A low run-yards total was only because we got so far behind. When the game was close the Bills were running it really well with Fred and Boobie. Too bad they had to give up on it. Our "horrible" OL looked pretty darn good there during that TD drive. That tells me that Spiller is just too slow to the LOS. Maybe someone else can use him, but he's not much use to us.

Orton looked like Orton. He's a stopgap and might just get lucky enough to win a playoff game if the D holds up. I feel for those guys. After the half, NE went to a quicker pass game and picked on our LBs and Safeties. We have to fix that.

Moving on, the execution was horrid too. you have TWO.FIVE seconds to pass the GOD DAMN football. if you wait to FOUR, you get sacked. Orton looked pretty much every bit like EJ, except he actually made a few throws and took some shots.

I definitely noticed Orton holding onto the ball too long too. I will say though, I was surprised to see he was sacked 5 times at the end of the game because it felt more like 2. I guess what I mean is the majority of the sacks did not seem very significant. I can't re-call, but I am wondering if we still picked up first downs after a couple of them.

Excellent points all. Hate to say it, but this team aint goin' anywhere with Orton at the helm. Rather see the young guy sink or swim.

He already sunk. Did you miss the Houston game? Worst game by a QB since one of Trent Edwards' terrible games.

I'm shocked that CJ had a better YPC than Fred. That just shows how useless that stat is and must be skewed by one good run.

It was skewed by the run that he fumbled the ball on. That was probably close to a 20 yard run.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

I definitely noticed Orton holding onto the ball too long too. I will say though, I was surprised to see he was sacked 5 times at the end of the game because it felt more like 2. I guess what I mean is the majority of the sacks did not seem very significant. I can't re-call, but I am wondering if we still picked up first downs after a couple of them.

He already sunk. Did you miss the Houston game? Worst game by a QB since one of Trent Edwards' terrible games.

You have to hold onto the ball a bit longer because you have to allow the longer plays time to develop as the Pats were sitting all over the short passes . We should have known that from the start though and came out looking to press down field early to back them off

Fred was effective. Bottom line. He had 1 negative run and a 1 yd TD to reduce his ypc. Spiller's ypc was padded by that awesomely idiotic run at the end of the half that he fumbled.

Watching the game > reading the box score.

The defense gave up 37 effing points, and all the talk is about offensive shortcomings. Seriously? The Pats scored on literally every drive in the second half. How many games do you expect to win giving up 24 second half points?

The defense gave up 37 effing points, and all the talk is about offensive shortcomings. Seriously? The Pats scored on literally every drive in the second half. How many games do you expect to win giving up 24 second half points?

and 300 - that's 300 - 2nd half yards!!!!

after a sound defensive 1st half - we gave Brady too many places to go with the ball in the 2nd half.

we weren't prepared to counter the Pats

Would the coach please advise Spiller, again and again and again, that he is not to try to get outside. "But coach, "I have the speed." He may have the speed but he has no clue, and never has had, that it takes more than speed to run towards the sidelines and then effectively get up field. It's sick what a waste of plays that attempt has been over the years. The best way to use Spiller's speed is to throw the ball to him when he's already away from tacklers. Why they resist doing that with any frequency is quite puzzling.