A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#10) I still have a big problem with a line that can't run block to save their lives. I have a problem with an offensive coordinator who can't figure out how to build a decent run game against the 17th ranked run defense. Then tries to have a QB who hasn't been starting for a few years try and throw almost 40 times again....against the 5th ranked pass defense. simply moronic!

The very last thing I would want to try and do is have a shootout against Tom Brady. I would make the run game the most important part of the offense to keep the ball away from ole Tom.

How can ya rail on Spiller when Fred Jackson got more carries and a worse YPC average. Buffalo Bills net yards rushing, 23 rushes for a total 68 yards!

Fred Jackson 10 attempts for 26 yards, a 2.6 YPC average.- Anthony Dixon 7 attempts for 27 yards, a 3.8 YPC average.- CJ Spiller 6 attempts for 19 yards, a 3.1 YPC average.

Let's face it. This teams offense is being schemed, game planned, and called by a person who shouldn't be an NFL coordinator. JMO

Spiller got 15 of those 19 yards on one carry. And on that carry, he fumbled.

One of Jackson's carries was for one yard. It was a TD, and the Pats were playing to stop that run. They failed.

Edited by dave mcbride

Fred was effective. Bottom line. He had 1 negative run and a 1 yd TD to reduce his ypc. Spiller's ypc was padded by that awesomely idiotic run at the end of the half that he fumbled.

Watching the game > reading the box score.

How can you possibly say that when he had ten touches for only 26 yards?

I watched the game, and no Bills RB was effective. Its not about comparing the run game stats between the RB's. its about the distinct lack of a decent run game that puts ALL the pressure on the QB who hasn't started but 3 games the the last 3 years. Running the ball more keeps the ball away from Brady, wears out their defense, and doesn't make our QB shoulder the entire offense against the 5th ranked pass defense.

1. Thanks Bill. Though I am new to posting, I have been lurking and enjoying your post-game analysis for years. I happened to watch the game today with my wife's family, who are all Pats fans. At one point my brother-in-law asked why the Bills ran it up the gut every time on first down. Hackett needs to go.

2. I also agree with the posters who pointed out that the defense was taken to task in the second half. No pressure on Brady and the Pats scored on what seemed like every possession. I was railing about the refs, especially after they called the two offensive PI calls on Sammy and Chandler (?) but it sounded like sour grapes at that point. Best part of the game for me was after making comment after comment about Marcia, my sister-in-law figured out I was talking about Brady and burst out laughing.

The primary difference between thesse teams is the disparity in qb play. Brady quickly got rid of the ball and he made some incredibly precise passes. The TD pass with Gilmore draped over the receiver was fantastic. Orton is the best qb option we have. KO is a pedestrian qb at best who is going to get you nowhere. He'll allow your team to compete against most teams but he is not going to bring the team along to any meaningful status.

The Bills have been out of the playoffs for 14 consecutive years, and still counting. By the time we have a more gifted qb taking the snaps it will be approaching the 20 year playoff drought. If I recall correctly the announcers stated that the Pats have beaten the Bills in 22 of the last 23 games. That is more than pathetic, it is laughable.

The Bills' safeties in this game were embarrasing. Duke Williams was the worst player on the field. I'm not going to put the loss on him because the better team and the better coached team and organization beat the lesser team and organization.

This game was a good measuring stick. It demonstrated how far this team still has to go to being a factor in this league.

My level of irritation over the officiating is at the boiling point. The calls had nothing to do with the outcome but it has a lot to do with the diminishing enjoyment of watching the games. This so called "emphasis" on inconsequential touching is moronic.

Edited by JohnC

I watched the game, and no Bills RB was effective. Its not about comparing the run game stats between the RB's. its about the distinct lack of a decent run game that puts ALL the pressure on the QB who hasn't started but 3 games the the last 3 years. Running the ball more keeps the ball away from Brady, wears out their defense, and doesn't make our QB shoulder the entire offense against the 5th ranked pass defense.

When Fred got the ball he gained positive yards on all but 1 carry, and on that one the defender was on him in the back field before he had the ball. If you don't see how setting up manageable 2nd and 3rd downs and punching in a TD from the 1 effectively helps the team I don't know what to tell you.

Interesting that while you were watching the game you found Spiller's meaningless 15 yd run and fumble more effective than Fred's several 3-5 yd runs and TD.

1) Big time kudos to Chandler today. 6 catches for 105 yards is more than one could ask for under the circumstances of todays game.

2) I am NOT going to fault Gilmore on the TD pass that he gave up. The coverage was near perfect, and Brady had a month to throw because of the sub-par coaching of Schwartz. Actually, I thought that Gilmore played rather well today. More to come on Schwartz.

3) Duke Williams was SO bad today that I am uncomfortable talking about it. The pass interference call was about as bad a play as I have ever had the displeasure to watch. I hate to say it, but Searcy got toasted too. However, he looked great compared to Duke. It was just sickening to watch Williams.

4) I love the way that this team fights back. Mario, Spikes, Dareus, and Bradham never quit. They just kept playing for 4 quarters. Same with Woods, and Hogan. Players such as FJ and KW always do this. My point? I praise this team for going all out despite the loss.

5) On the first drive of the 3rd qtr., we rushed 3 on a 3rd and 9. This was a stupid move by Schwartz, and I was screaming this as the play was setting up. They made the first down and scored a TD on the following play.

6) I dropped four flights and cracked my spine,

Honey come quick with the iodine.

Catch a few winks down, under the bed;

Then head back to Tennessee, Jed

Tennessee, Tennessee,

There ain't no place I'd, rather be

Baby won't you carry me......

Back to Tennessee.

7) I think that we might just have a new weapon in Chris Hogan. It looks like Orton is able to utilize him too. This is good news on a dismal day.

8) A special shout-out to Bradham.....it is obvious how much he want to win football games. He truly is a pleasure to watch.

9) Schwartz reminds me of Jauron. The Pats OL didn't impress me, but he rarely pressured them. Imo, Schwartz employed a play not to lose philosophy. He was the biggest contributor in this loss today. If Petine was still here, we would have won. Schwartz sucked THAT bad. He was a flat out disaster.

10) Our OL wasn't THAT bad today from where I sat. Glenn DID get schooled by Jones on the play immediately after the deuce, but this is rare.

11) I have been accused of being too tough on Spiller. I am embarrassed to admit that against my better judgment, I backed off a bit. Those days are gone. CJ Spiller is a liability to this football team. He is virtually useless. He needs to be benched imo. Yes, BENCHED!!!!! We can comb through his stats and pretend that he is good, but he is not.

12) Orton, despite the OK stats, looked more rusty than he did last week. Wrt the pick to start the 2nd qtr., he had all day to throw. That said, he still blows EJ away.

13) The fact that the Jets and Dolphins lost does offer us hope. Bills Fans DO deserve hope.

14) Robert Woods is another player who really does want to win football games. I admire his effort and courage.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed that in the group of players that you listed as players who never quit there are no offensive linemen on there. The Patriots patchwork offensive line provided better protection for their QB. The Bills offensive line needs to be called out for their play! Blame CJ Spiller all you want, but look at Fred's stat line too. Not that impressive. Why hasn't this unit shown any improvement?

Always appreciate these posts, but I'm thinking that you're being way too generous in your praise for the Bills. They simply did not rise to occasion today, offense defense and coaching. It was a poor game plan, poorly executed.

Very disappointing effort from the team today . . . Duke Williams has no business being on the field, not does McKelvin . . .

The D line laid down in the second half. Actually, seemed Brady was left to be comfortable most of the day.

Our DBs still suck. Leodis is a clown. Gilmore is good for one decent play per game, then does nothing.

The best way to use Spiller is returning kicks. He should be out there for every kick and punt.

Orton looked good and not so good. Still only his second game on the team. Still an order of magnitude better than EJ.

Why is Mike Williams a healthy scratch today?

Was at the game today, it was a rush to see the reception Pegula got. Has anyone mentioned the daughters yet??

Chandler must have caught 5 long 1st down conversions. He looked sharp--and Orton's passes to him were lasers..

Hope is positively in sight, and I couldn't be happier about the upcoming years for this team. See Below.

Oh, I highly doubt that. If this team falls on its face I think there will be big changes all around. Kyle Orton is not the best weapon on the offense, it should be Sammy

Kim Pegula will be the new CEO, and there is already talks the the Pegula's will hire a known football man like Ernie Accorsi, Mike Holmgren, Ron Wolf.

http://www.cbssports...ship-transition

Good post mate, and thanks for citing the LaCanfora link- yes indeed there is reason for hope.....I like the idea of this: " If the Bills do decide to make changes, Chargers offensive coordinator Frank Reich, an increasingly hot coaching candidate who is a beloved former quarterback in Buffalo, could quickly emerge as a frontrunner."

So many things to discuss after this loss. But I still don't understand, if this is a team with marked improvement in talent, why they can't have all phases of the game working at the same time. It's the NFL and teams are always scheming to stop what you do well, but when the defense is excellent, the offense isn't good. Or, today, the offense was passable and the defense broke down.

If the talent is improved, then is it coaching? It ain't the Big East and NE is no Rutgers or UConn. We coach like it is though sometimes.

The Bills continue to be pretenders and aren't ready for prime time either.

Edited by BillsVet

The primary difference between thesse teams is the disparity in qb play. Brady quickly got rid of the ball and he made some incredibly precise passes. The TD pass with Gilmore draped over the receiver was fantastic. Orton is the best qb option we have. KO is a pedestrian qb at best who is going to get you nowhere. He'll allow your team to compete against most teams but he is not going to bring the team along to any meaningful status.

The Bills have been out of the playoffs for 14 consecutive years, and still counting. By the time we have a more gifted qb taking the snaps it will be approaching the 20 year playoff drought. If I recall correctly the announcers stated that the Pats have beaten the Bills in 22 of the last 23 games. That is more than pathetic, it is laughable.

The Bills' safeties in this game were embarrasing. Duke Williams was the worst player on the field. I'm not going to put the loss on him because the better team and the better coached team and organization beat the lesser team and organization.

This game was a good measuring stick. It demonstrated how far this team still has to go to being a factor in this league.

My level of irritation over the officiating is at the boiling point. The calls had nothing to do with the outcome but it has a lot to do with the diminishing enjoyment of watching the games. This so called "emphasis" on inconsequential touching is moronic.

agree 100% on your last point, JohnC......it would be foolish to pin this loss on the poor officiating, but I have to say you nailed it re: the dimished enjoyment of watching the games. These phantom calls and non-calls are beginning to wear on me like they're part of an Oliver Stone conspiracy plot. Those OPI "push offs" sent me over the edge, and BTW Gronk was guilty of one big-time. The refs are over-legislating the game and it is becoming laughable.

Running game regresses weekly. Interior blocking is lacking and the OTs were getting burned by NE outside speed on the pass rush. It seems this coaching staffing sticks to its game plan no matter what is going on in the game. It would be really nice if these huge men could open some lanes for the RBs to run through. Orton is a statue. No mobility whatsoever. Even with these faults the team is 3-3 and can make a push to the playoffs. MUST win out at home.

When Fred got the ball he gained positive yards on all but 1 carry, and on that one the defender was on him in the back field before he had the ball. If you don't see how setting up manageable 2nd and 3rd downs and punching in a TD from the 1 effectively helps the team I don't know what to tell you.

Interesting that while you were watching the game you found Spiller's meaningless 15 yd run and fumble more effective than Fred's several 3-5 yd runs and TD.

and when Spiller got the ball on one play he was hit behind the line of scrimmage by three defenders before he could even get to the line. The point wasn't to compare what Fred did to what CJ did, and for some reason you won't let that go.

It was about the team being entirely ineffective in my view by running the ball in rushing for only 68 yards on 23 carries for the entire game. That, and If you think a RB getting a one yard TD run makes a RB effective... then I don't know what to tell you.

New England had much less success with their ground game, and it didn't matter because they had Tom Brady! Then he all day to throw at times. The entire point was Orton hasn't started more then three games the last three years, and shouldn't be forced to carry the entire offense with 39 passes vs 23 rushes.

I'll try and refrain from any further discussion on this because we just don't seem to see things the same way. Its all good fellow Bills fan, as things should change for the better after this season. GO Buffalo!

Good post.

The Bills' running game was ineffective. Period. The main problem there isn't the running backs. It's the offensive line.

Speaking of the offensive line, I expected the interior to play poorly; so I wasn't that surprised by what I saw. I was surprised by Glenn getting owned on the strip/sack. I also get the impression that Henderson is too large/immobile to handle speed rushers. (At least that's what he looked like today.) Even a good player is allowed to have an occasional bad day, so I'm willing to give Glenn a mulligan. But other than him and possibly Wood, I can't think of any long-term answers on that line. The lack of a good line has mostly snuffed out the running game, and is greatly impeding the passing attack.

It was hard to tell from my television screen, but the announcers said that Watkins was well-covered by Revis pretty much the whole game. That makes me miss a WR we used to have who could get open against Revis. (And who was traded for a fourth round pick.) Other than Chandler, it doesn't seem like the Bills' receiving threats did a good job of getting open.

But as bad as all that was, our real problems were on defense. :angry: To its credit, the defense played well in the second half. During the first half, the Bills were 0-3 in the turnover battle. Being down by 13-7 at the end of the half is not bad at all, considering that turnover margin. I felt that if they played like that in the second half--except without the turnovers--they had an excellent chance of winning. Instead, the Patriots scored on every drive of the second half. The closest thing the defense had to a second half success was holding the Patriots to a FG. But there was only one second half Patriots drive like that. All the other drives were touchdowns. The Bills very obviously don't have the defense I thought they had.

With no second half defense whatever, and no running game, the only thing we had going for us was the passing attack. That passing attack isn't going to be enough to carry the team.

Good post.

The Bills' running game was ineffective. Period. The main problem there isn't the running backs. It's the offensive line.

Speaking of the offensive line, I expected the interior to play poorly; so I wasn't that surprised by what I saw. I was surprised by Glenn getting owned on the strip/sack. I also get the impression that Henderson is too large/immobile to handle speed rushers. (At least that's what he looked like today.) Even a good player is allowed to have an occasional bad day, so I'm willing to give Glenn a mulligan. But other than him and possibly Wood, I can't think of any long-term answers on that line. The lack of a good line has mostly snuffed out the running game, and is greatly impeding the passing attack.

It was hard to tell from my television screen, but the announcers said that Watkins was well-covered by Revis pretty much the whole game. That makes me miss a WR we used to have who could get open against Revis. (And who was traded for a fourth round pick.) Other than Chandler, it doesn't seem like the Bills' receiving threats did a good job of getting open.

But as bad as all that was, our real problems were on defense. :angry: To its credit, the defense played well in the second half. During the first half, the Bills were 0-3 in the turnover battle. Being down by 13-7 at the end of the half is not bad at all, considering that turnover margin. I felt that if they played like that in the second half--except without the turnovers--they had an excellent chance of winning. Instead, the Patriots scored on every drive of the second half. The closest thing the defense had to a second half success was holding the Patriots to a FG. But there was only one second half Patriots drive like that. All the other drives were touchdowns. The Bills very obviously don't have the defense I thought they had.

With no second half defense whatever, and no running game, the only thing we had going for us was the passing attack. That passing attack isn't going to be enough to carry the team.

Sammy was open plenty. From the stands it was maddening that Orton didn't have enough time to hit him. Or awareness

Well done on nearly all accounts Bill.

The only part I sort of disagree with is the Jones sack--Orton had a good 4 seconds to throw there. Glenn did get beaten on that play though.

I was thoroughly disappointed in McKelvin today as well.

This team really missed Aaron Williams.

Is McKelvin that much better that Grahm? I have no idea why McKelvin keeps getting a pass from the staff.

I am almost certain, well I know, unless we fall flat on ourdace Marrone isn't leaving. I don't know about Hackett. But that's not my point.

If Marrone goes than I worry we end up losing a lot of good assistants we have now. I'm too tired to remember them all but we have some very good positional coaches.

Spiller..... Ugh. Guy just doesn't have the mind for pro ball... Bounce it out, loss of 4.

Orton- come on is this really better? Bad picks, a statue in th pocket, crappy inaccurate passes. No deep ball, and can't find his WRs. Great.... 300 yards accumulated in garbage time. This season is totally phuqued.

Guys who earned their check today:

Freddie (always)

Woods fought his arse off every play

Hughes- dear god extend this guy now

Bradham- guy was everywhere

Spikes- literally is a one man run defense

Hogan- holy chittt. You can actually play ball?

Mario- shows up every week

That's it.

Mcluvin, orton, dookie, spiller, otero much every offensive play numbering 59 to 79 and searcy, you sucked camel nuts.

This loss will bug me for the rest of the night, probably into tomorrow, but then it'll pass. The team's .500 in the division and overall with a soft couple games ahead giving them an opportunity to get right. 5-3 going into the bye week would be just fine with me, and probably a bit better than most would have figured heading into the season.

This loss will bug me for the rest of the night, probably into tomorrow, but then it'll pass. The team's .500 in the division and overall with a soft couple games ahead giving them an opportunity to get right. 5-3 going into the bye week would be just fine with me, and probably a bit better than most would have figured heading into the season.

Agreed. They better be 6-4 after ten games though.

Absolutely. I think there's a realistic chance they're 8-3 headed into the Brown's game. But then again, I'm probably drunk again.

Lol I really hate to say this but I feel like today's loss probably took the nuts from players that have been here since before thre Marrone era. They have to be telling or thinking to themselves that this is no diffrent from every other bills team I've played on, and we will end up dropping 4-5 of the next 6 games to teams we should be able to beat. Finishing 7-9 or 8-8 like every other year. Man I really hope not but today had to take some of the wind from the sails of thenayers that have been here

• We need an NFL-caliber guard (Incognito) and a versatile back (Bryce Brown)
  • You cant tell me this offense isn't better with those 2 guys in the lineup
  • Our line looks uncoordinated
  • They cant execute blocking schemes that require any movement
  • Couldn't tell for sure, but it looked like Sammy was getting separation early and often on Revis.
  • Sammy is the fast and physical WR that is ideal to go up against Revis.
  • The problem was more likely Orton refused to look at Revis side of the field.
  • But this bodes well for the future because it's correctable.
  • Officiating was horrid today.
  • It was just a matter of time before defense broke down.
  • They got on Hughes early asinine call, coincidence hes the guy Brady called out before the game as most dangerous?
  • Then killed our most important drive of the game with poor call on Watkins followed by a beyond words, blatant-biased call on Woods.
  • Not saying we win without ref interference, but the game would have been a close one.
  • They robbed not just the Bills of a chance, but the fans to see the sports entertainment they paid for.
  • If Pats want to feel good about winning that way, that speaks volumes.
  • I guess league wants to setup a Manning-Brady showdown one more time.
  • Mayo and Ridley out for season .. karma is a you know what

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The D line laid down in the second half. Actually, seemed Brady was left to be comfortable most of the day.

Our DBs still suck. Leodis is a clown. Gilmore is good for one decent play per game, then does nothing.

Not so sure about the above. The DL put pressure on Brady but not enough, and at times they rushed 3. When Brady is on, he will find open receivers given time, and time is exactly what Schwartz handed him. They should have blitzed and kept hitting him.

The Bills didn't do well in the past with passive defenses. This game was more of the same and makes one long for the days of Pettine.

Not so sure about the above. The DL put pressure on Brady but not enough, and at times they rushed 3. When Brady is on, he will find open receivers given time, and time is exactly what Schwartz handed him. They should have blitzed and kept hitting him.

The Bills didn't do well in the past with passive defenses. This game was more of the same and makes one long for the days of Pettine.

You mean the good ole days where our D gives up 250 yds on the ground?

The officiating has been awful in just about every Bills game this season and for years against the Patriots. When will it change?

This team is better passing with Orton but the running game has suffered. With EJ at least giving the threat of running, it just allows the Spiller and Fred more space. This is a running team that needs better guard play but is also getting away from what it is offensively. I know I'm in the minority here but still feel EJ gives the Bills the best chance to win...

You mean the good ole days where our D gives up 250 yds on the ground?

The above is a fair question and your point is taken.

I am thinking that our current LB corps is much better against the run than last season, and I think it would have made a ton of sense to send in more blitzes against an aging Brady and a shaky OL.

The officiating has been awful in just about every Bills game this season and for years against the Patriots. When will it change?

This team is better passing with Orton but the running game has suffered. With EJ at least giving the threat of running, it just allows the Spiller and Fred more space. This is a running team that needs better guard play but is also getting away from what it is offensively. I know I'm in the minority here but still feel EJ gives the Bills the best chance to win...

Today I think you're right. That was the kind of sloppy improvised effort kind of game EJ plays his Best. Although I appreciated the win last week I've never been an Orton fan. His pattern is familiar: couple high production games followed by epic failures. He's no threat to run, and can't "feel" pressure and today didn't even see it running straight up the middle at him.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Robert Woods is a honey badger

Orton makes throws EJ cant, or won't

I HATE how Brady always seems to have ALL day to pass on the Bills

Eye on big picture, Bills get another chance week 17 and hopefully with alot on the line

Lol...hopefully there isn'the a lot on the line. Hopefully, we have a playoff spot locked up because we cannot beat brady. 2 times since 2001. Unbelievable...no matter how good things look for us and how bad they look for the pats, we are brady's botch plain and simple. If there is a lot on the line, be prepared to be disappointed.