Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 1, Bills at Bears

Dan

Week 1: Buffalo Bills at Chicago Bears

Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: FOX (TV Map)

Announcers: Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston, Tony Siragusa

DirecTV: 708

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius/XM: 113 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Although the Chicago Bears possess all the makings of an elite offense, turning around their defensive incompetence appears to be a necessity if they're going to make a run at the playoffs.

After making several moves to fix those holes, the Bears hope to see major improvement on that side of the ball as they look to win their sixth straight home opener Sunday against the Buffalo Bills, who haven't been to the playoffs in 15 years.

The Bears could have an opportunity to gain some confidence versus Buffalo, which had difficulty moving the ball throughout the preseason. The starters went 18 straight possessions without a touchdown until EJ Manuel's TD pass in the second half against Tampa Bay on Aug. 23.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills vs. Bears 2014: NFL Week 1 Game Preview, Prediction 

NFL.com Video Preview

'Playbook': Buffalo Bills vs. Chicago Bears

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Bears

Total Yds/Game.... 338.1         381.8

Total Rush............. 144.2          114.2

Total Pass............. 193.9         267.6

Points/Game..........  21.2           27.8

Time of Poss..........  28.7           31.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 333.4         394.6

Rush Yards........... 128.9         161.4

Pass Yards........... 204.4         233.1

Points Allowed........ 24.2           29.9

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Dixon, Boobie           RB            Hamstring        -        LP       DNP           questionable

Gilmore, Stephon           CB            Groin        LP        FP       FP           questionable

Johnson, Randell           LB            Ankle        LP        FP       FP           probable

Meeks, Jonathan        S            Neck        LP        LP       LP           doubtful

Smith, Lee           TE            Toe        DNP        DNP       DNP           doubtful

Spikes, Brandon           LB            Knee        -        LP       FP           probable

Watkins, Sammy           WR            Ribs        FP        FP       FP           probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Chicago Bears

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Conte, Chris           S            concussion        LP        FP       FP           probable

Fales, David           QB            shoulder        Out        Out       Out           Out

Fiammetta, Tony           FB            hamstring        LP        LP       LP           questionable

de la Puente, Brian           C            knee        LP        FP       FP           probable

Source: http://=“http://www.chicagobears.com/team/injury-report.html”]chicagobears.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Chicago -7

Over/Under: 47.0

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game:

Here we go… are you ready for some football!  I certainly am!  

After perhaps the most emotional and trying off season (for our team at least) that I can remember, it’s time to finally put it all aside and just watch my Bills play.  I have no idea what to expect.  I want to believe.  I want to think Marrone and Hackett have a clue.  I want to think Whaley made the right choice with Watkins.  I want to believe that this is not the last season I’ll ever get to watch the BUFFALO Bills play. I want to believe.  

But, at the start of this season, like pretty much every season in recent memory I have no idea what to expect from this team.  I know everyone talks about playoffs; but, I’ll settle for just a winning season at this point.  Maybe even actual NFL level competence on the field?  It’s hard to be optimistic for this season.  

So, please, post and tell me why I should be optimistic for this team, this game, this season.

Here’s what I’ll be watching for:

1. Marrone.  Has he lost this team before it even started?  Is he going to finally look like an NFL HC with his in game adjustments and decisions?

2. Hackett.  Does he have a clue whatsoever what an NFL offense is supposed to look like?  Hopefully our play calling and design show marked improvement from last year!

3. EJ.  Yeah, we can add this every week.  But, our season and future really does rest on the shoulders of EJ.  I expect some mistakes, some ups and down.  I can live with that; but is he showing us progress?  Hopefully we see more good than bad.  However, maybe the O line is what we should really be watching?

4. Secondary.  Can Gilmore and company keep up with Cutler and his passing attack?  It seems like 3rd and long are always a gimmie 15 yd pass completion.

5. Our run D. I expect to see much improvement here!!

6. This will be the first game in the history of our beloved Bills without Ralph Wilson as the owner.  That sobering fact is enough to give me pause. I hope the entire team can play with the passion that Ralph had for the game.

Go Bills!!

Lets just see what they've got. I think this is the most indifferent feeling about a Bills team I've had for a going into the season. I truly don't know what to expect. The preseason (I know it's preseason and it really isn't that big a deal) was depressing and pathetic. However, we have so much talent on this team, we can't be bad, right? So, lets just see what happens today! Can 1 pm just hurry up and get here please???!?!?

Edited by HamSandwhich

Lets just see what they've got. I think this is the most indifferent feeling about a Bills team I've had for a going into the season. I truly don't know what to expect. The preseason (I know it's preseason and it really isn't that big a deal) was depressing and pathetic. However, we have so much talent on this team, we can't be bad, right? So, lets just see what happens today! Can 1 pm just hurry up and get here please???!?!?

Agreed. The preseason was so bad they have to get better. Biggest concern is Hackett's play calling and EJ. Really want to see them both grow together starting today. Go Bills!!!!!!

I am sitting here since about 5:30am reading the various pre-game type threads, anxiously waiting for 1:00pm to get here.

I somehow wandered my way to the opening and end themes from Vangelis' "The Bounty" soundtrack on youtube. I've been listening to the same 11 minute video over and over!

The music is hauntingly beautiful, ominous, and suspenseful (I love Vangelis).

It has strangely gone really well with the various posts speculating about the Bills' prospects for today and the season.

Kind of weird how these 2 activities perfectly fell in line this morning!

Won't it be nice when it doesn't seem miraculous to beat an 8-8 team on the road. I mean seriously, let's tear chicago a new one and all have an emotionally charged week thinking about the home opener. Jim kelly running out out of the tunnel, a dedication to Ralph and beating the fish to go 2-0! There won't be a dry eye in the house so let's get step one completed today!

It is a chamber of commerce weather day here in Chicago. Fast track. We have speed let's use it!! Bradham out worries me a bit bc Bennet can be a handful, but the line can get to Cutler. Hit em, run the ball, win! Go Bills!

Another opening day in which I sleep 3 hours. I'm awoken in at 3am because I have to piss. I look at the clock and think.... IT'S HERE, KICKOFF IN 7 hours!!!

I kinda did the same thing. Been sleepin off and on all night, excited for the game to start! I try to tell myself its just a game, go back to sleep.. but all I can do is picture EJ touchdown passes in my head. :) So, I finally just got up and started doing stuff.

Kickoff Sunday really is like Christmas. Let's kick some a#%!

Edited by Dan

I'm one of those pessimistic folks vomiting negativity everywhere, but it's opening day for our Bills and the punch bowl is chilled and filled.

Here are some reasons for optimism (ingredients for making Koolaid) today:

1. This team has the most (more?) talent since 2004 (our last winning season)

2. This defense could and should be a top 3 defense! Deep along DL and secondary

3. The Bills have the best and deepest RB corps in the league, and should lead the league in rushing yards and TDs

4. The Bills have a backup QB with a lot of experience (not a shot against EJ)

5. The Bears had one of the worst rushing Ds last season - this is where we need to make hay. Keep their O off the field and score some points.

6. Cutler can be easily rattled when under constant pressure.

7. The Bears D is soft in the middle, the slot WR and TE should be able to net us plenty of first downs in this area

8. We haven't lost a game yet this season ;)

For the past week, all I've heard were people ("experts") writing off my team without even a thought. I'm psyched and I actually like our chances. It just seems that all the coverage has been so negative that I feel like I'm crazy just to think that we can win today. The keys to me on offense is for the o-line to get our running game going early. On defense, as long as our secondary keeps close coverage on their receivers it will give our pass rush plenty of time to get in Cutler's face while he's looking for an open option. And of course, on the road we can't make too many mistakes.

Based on 2013's stats, our defense is 61 yards per game better than theirs. Their offense is about 44 ypg better than ours. Not sure how this produces a line of Chicago by 7.

There's been a lot of media buzz about EJ's poor play this preseason and the feud between Marrone and the FO. Mostly I think this is a bunch of crap and the team will be very focused and prepared.

I say "mostly" because EJ really is a question mark. I don't think he'll regress from last season but I'm not convinced he'll take the big step forward we need.

In another hour I'm driving to watch the game at South Lake Union in Seattle with a bunch of other Bills Backers and we'll find out.

Based on 2013's stats, our defense is 61 yards per game better than theirs. Their offense is about 44 ypg better than ours. Not sure how this produces a line of Chicago by 7.

There's been a lot of media buzz about EJ's poor play this preseason and the feud between Marrone and the FO. Mostly I think this is a bunch of crap and the team will be very focused and prepared.

I say "mostly" because EJ really is a question mark. I don't think he'll regress from last season but I'm not convinced he'll take the big step forward we need.

In another hour I'm driving to watch the game at South Lake Union in Seattle with a bunch of other Bills Backers and we'll find out.

Bills Backers are meeting in Magnolia today - Highliner Pub. See you there!

Edited by Big C

Opening day. Let's get pumped. We have yet to see the unveiling of the two Four-Headed Monsters on offense. I can't wait to see Sammy-Woods-CavemanMike-and a healthy Goodwin together creating havoc in the air, and CJ-FredEx-Boobie-and BryceBrown pounding it on the ground. The OL needs to gel quickly but we have a lot of horses and today they come out to play.