Rob Johnson

major

I really wish Rob Johnson had won that Music City Miracle game. Even though I wanted Flutie to start that game, I still wish Rob had won- his whole career would have been different with that one win. I honestly believe we would have gone to the Super Bowl that year to play the Rams. Oh well, that's enough dreaming for tonight. Wish I could go back in my Delorean and change that game.

I wish Scott Norwood would have made that kick.

I wish Brett Hull didn't score that goal.*

I wish Drew Bledsoe and Co. could have beat Pittsburgh's bench.

I wish we weren't in the middle of a 14 year playoff drought.

I wish we knew for sure that the Bills were staying in Buffalo.

Anymore bad memories you want to bring up? Feel free.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

At least the Bills that lost to the Steelers bench lost to "bench" players that later played a role in their (Steelers) SB win (Willie Parker and James Harrison). So while it looked awful at the time, it looks better in retrospect because they really lost to some talented guys. I like the OP's comment. I had the same thought back then and do now, that team was going to the Super Bowl if they had won that game.

Edited by RyanC883

Assistant HS football coach in Mission Viejo, CA

http://en.m.wikipedi...erican_football)

Yes, Rob is an assistant coach at MVHS which is 1 mile from my house. It's a perennial football powerhouse. Rob's father, Bob Johnson has won state championships at both MVHS and El Toro HS (3 miles north of MVHS) and is the only coach in CA to do that. On Bob's staff is Rob, his brother Brett (who supposedly was the better quarterback before being injured) and at least last year Keyshawn Johnson (not related :w00t: ). MVHS is also where Sanchez went to HS and where he held his Jersey Jerks West Coast Camp.

Back when Rob was playing for the Bills, his parents lived around the block from me. One of my daughter's first Halloween's she dressed up as a Bills cheerleader (the outfits made for toddlers, not quite the same as the real thing) and we went to their house as part of our trick or treating. I talked to his father for a few minutes, he gave us an autographed picture of Rob.

He won that game- he deserves credit. Then a questionable lateral combined with a massive breakdown on special teams happened that gave credibility to that silly play and stole our win. I always wonder if Flutie would have won it with enough that would have left no margin for error at the end. Crazy to think we could have gone to the Super bowl that year- we win that game and we had a good chance. That was a dark day.

Edited by SF Bills Fan

I really wish Rob Johnson had won that Music City Miracle game. Even though I wanted Flutie to start that game, I still wish Rob had won- his whole career would have been different with that one win. I honestly believe we would have gone to the Super Bowl that year to play the Rams. Oh well, that's enough dreaming for tonight. Wish I could go back in my Delorean and change that game.

I wish fans didn't have man crushes on rob johnson.

I actually hated this guy. He was sacked on almost all his drives. At least if seemed like that.

In reality I wish I could go back in time and say yes to some of the so so girls I rejected. Poor girls.

wish we would have won all 4 superbowls

Wish JP losmann was the man and was still winning us superbowls

I wish I were an oscar Mayer Weine. That is what Id truly like to be. Cause if I were an Oscar Mayer Weiner than everyone would be in love with me.

My bolongna has a first name its o.s.c.a.r, My bologna has a second name its M.A.Y.E.R. I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say....

cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B.O.L.O.G.N.A!!!!!!!!!!!!

The curse of Flutie lives on! We need an exorcism at OBD.

He just took another sack.

RJ defined the word injury prone for me. He not only was often sacked, but when sacked would miss a game or few with an injury. He made me realize what injury prone actually meant in that he not only would go on the DL to miss games when hurt (unlike Jim Kelly whose bursa sack did a couple of times force him to give up the reins for starts by Frank Reich including the Greatest Game Ever Played) but he went out for a series of different injuries (I think it was a broken collar bone that gave Flutie his chance, but I also remember an arm injury, a thigh contusion and most strangely he got sacked and fell on the ball in a manner which forced him out for a game or so with a bruised sternum).

RJ defined injury prone. On of the biggest mistakes Ralph ever made was signing off on paying RJ a big contract up front as an FA. If the Bills had instead either waited half a season they would have had to pay him more to get him to sign mid-season, but they would have realized how injury prone he was. RJ was available because he had started one game and did wonderfully for his previous employer (SD I thnk) but then was injured and missed the next game.

The big contract for RJ not only locked him into our allocation for the QB position under the salary cap, but actually created a contractual reality contrary to our signing Flutie to a small cap hit contract with make good incentives if he played well.

Under the CBA, when a player hit these incentives, they quite fairly were rolled into his base contract. When RJ got so badly damaged, DF inherited his the QB role for several games and not only played marvelously but hit every incentive.

Because Flutie performed exactly as AJ Smith (the Bills scout who identified him for us and encouraged us to sign him) we ended up owing him not only $3 million or so against our cap for the next year, but $3 million for the incentives hit, We already had $3 million + allocated to the QB slot already paid to RJ as a bonus whether he played or not.

The end result ended up being that the Bills were forced fiscally to sign DF to a long term deal in order to allocate the wad owed to DF over several seasons of cap. DF was clearly the better QB when he led the Bills to enough wins to actually qualify for the playoffs early making the last game against Indy meaningless for us.

DF was made to sit (to this observer his little body though an outstandingly productive for that Bills team needed the rest). However, the result of this was RJ got to start) apparently at Ralph's insistence as it burned his but to pay RJ to sit on the bench. RJ was fabulous in the start (My recollection is that Indy went into a complete shell as an opponent after one of their best players suffered a season ending injury in the first quarter and by half time it was not only in game reality impossible for them to make the playoffs, their main opponent for a playoff berth was winning and making the playoffs was numerically impossible. RJ impressed but was playing opponents who were not taking any risks of injury so he stacked up enough stats to get the start in the Music City Mi..(Homerun Throw-up) game.

It was contract mismanagement and Ralph and AJ Smith being on different pages which caused our QB/salary cap issues.

Seriously though, how would the last 15 years be remembered if we win that game? Would that game have propelled RJ to greatness? Would it have been a one game wonder? What would have happened to wade, Bruce, Andre, Thurman, john butler, aj smith? Would Brees/manning have gone down the way it did? Hell, would david tyree make that catch and leave mercury Morris his bragging rights? What about the bountygate? The tastefully named Gregg Williams would not have been the coach... When this baby hits 88mph, you're going to see some serious sh--

Edited by Corp000085

I love this thread. Pretty awesome.

FWIW, I completely agree. I am convinced we win it all that year. For anyone interested in picking a fight, Johnson played well in that Tenn game too. People tend to forget his GW drive.

I reluctantly agree (it's hard to root for RJ). He did play well. More importantly, he led them to the 'game winning points' when he had to. Left it all on the field that day....shoe and everything. Don't forget, it was his stellar performance the week before against the Colts (I think) that set this all up. He looked like Joe Montana that game.

All we need now is a video tour of driving down Niagara Falls Blvd. on the north end.

Music City Mistake game.......It's no miracle when you break the rules...

i wish i could blink and make this all go away.

Don't try drinking it away, I've tried. Being a Buffalo sports fan comes with a warning on the label my friend, just like cigarettes, it's up to you if you choose to heed that warning.

I reluctantly agree (it's hard to root for RJ). He did play well. More importantly, he led them to the 'game winning points' when he had to. Left it all on the field that day....shoe and everything. Don't forget, it was his stellar performance the week before against the Colts (I think) that set this all up. He looked like Joe Montana that game.

Time creates delusion. He completed 10 passes (45%) for 131 yards. He took 6 sacks and fumbled twice (one a turnover, the other a safety). It would be stretch to call this a mediocre performance.

If the Bills did win, there is no way they go to the SB with RJ as QB. Simply an awful QB--never threw for 300 yards, never completed 30 passes a game, never had 3 wins in a row at any time, let alone in the post season.

This is a funny thread though!