Who will get that 6th WR spot?

KDIGGZ

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make the squad as the 6th WR?

• Chris Hogan (7-11)
    • TJ Graham
    • Kevin Elliott
    • Naaman Roosevelt
    • Other

To be fair he's going into his 4th pro year and will be turning 26 this season. That he is still only challenging to make a roster and hasn't progressed to an obvious lock... Well his window is closing faster than his game is progressing unless he has a big surprise in store for us.

He is progressing though. Everything I've heard pointed to a big improvement from last year. And don't forget, he played 4 years of lacrosse before even playing football so he has only been playing for 4 yrs. as a UDFA he was a surprise final cut with the dolphins but impressed a lot of people. Next year he made our roster. Then this year I'm guessing he has some significant playing time. He's a freak athlete that is getting better every year. He might even be in his prime for 2-3 more years. He could add some valuable depth for us if he continues to get better.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Easley as a lock. I think they will carry an extra DB and RB this year to play ST's not an extra WR. I think Hogan makes the team and I would not be surprised if Graham makes it too. He can return both punts and kick offs. Easley is just a gunner nothing else. Honestly it may also come down to how many TE vs WR they carry.

Watkins

Williams

Woods

Goodwin

Hogan

Graham (bubble) vs Moeaki's hamstring

Graham's value is not that he is just a speedster, he is the only WR have down the chart that can play all three positions. Woods can play any position, Mike Williams would probably be able to play any position, and Sammy Watkins is a wildcard. You need a 4th WR that can fill in at a moments notice and play all 3. Goodwin cannot do that, and unless he shows ability to stay healthy there is a high chance he might not last in the NFL - that is very unfortunate.

Goodwin is the first guy I want in when we put 4 WR's on the field. Graham is the first WR, right now at least, to go in when we need to sub.

Well said. He gives the versatility at that spot you want. I don't understand the hogan-obsession around here.

He is progressing though. Everything I've heard pointed to a big improvement from last year. And don't forget, he played 4 years of lacrosse before even playing football so he has only been playing for 4 yrs. as a UDFA he was a surprise final cut with the dolphins but impressed a lot of people. Next year he made our roster. Then this year I'm guessing he has some significant playing time. He's a freak athlete that is getting better every year. He might even be in his prime for 2-3 more years. He could add some valuable depth for us if he continues to get better.

Think about what you just wrote for a second though.... He's progressing and if he made a big jump he could possibly be depth for 2-3 years if he continues to improve.....

There's no shortage of guys that are quality #6 WRs. Heck, go back 2 years and we probably had 5 of them (including Roosevelt and hogan). I'd prefer we have a guy that does something excellent (like Easley with special teams) or rare physical traits (Graham's track star speed, or redzone height or....)

To be fair he's going into his 4th pro year and will be turning 26 this season. That he is still only challenging to make a roster and hasn't progressed to an obvious lock... Well his window is closing faster than his game is progressing unless he has a big surprise in store for us.

So let me get this straight...guys get 4 years in college against much worse competition to improve and some still don't make as far as he has, but he gets like 40 College/NFL catches and some preseason games and training camps, and he has already peaked? Makes no sense to me, but if that's what you are going with, ok...

Edited by matter2003

Ugh, I don't want to keep ONE "Hogan," let alone TWO of them! :nana:

And does Hogan really "catch everything?" I recall in 2013 he had two critical drops on 3rd down, one of which was in overtime. (Can't remember the opponent.)

He also had a critical drop last year, late in a game...and another time, if I recall correctly, he ran the wrong route in the end zone.

He couldn't breakthrough a WR group in Miami that was...Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Anthony Armstrong, Legedu Naanee, Jabar Gaffney, Armon Binns, Rishard Matthews and Marlon Moore.

How in the world does he fit into our WR group?

He got a cool nickname from a training camp/preseason TV show, that's his claim to fame. He's the kid in gym class who gets extra credit for "trying hard."

Brett Swain (who?) beat him out in San Francisco in 2011...and then he couldn't beat out Ramses Barden with the Giants in 2011, either, and the Bills just cut him.

I just don't see what other people see in this kid that makes him so special that he needs to make our opening day roster?

He's special because he had 83 yards receiving last year (or is it career yardage)? These players don't grow on trees.

Ruvell Martin couldn't put up gaudy numers like that!

So let me get this straight...guys get 4 years in college against much worse competition to improve and some still don't make as far as he has, but he gets like 40 College/NFL catches and some preseason games and training camps, and he has already peaked? Makes no sense to me, but if that's what you are going with, ok...

He's a great story and a bad football player. I am with NoSaint 100% on this. Give me the guy that does something really well (Easley/Graham) all day over the guy that does everything poorly.

He's special because he had 83 yards receiving last year (or is it career yardage)? These players don't grow on trees.

83 yards last year and in his career. He did have 12 catches in college though (yes I know it was only 1 year but it was still Monmouth).

The one thing going for him is that he's only accrued 1 season so he's still cheap. But generally speaking you'd think that he's turning 26 and only has caught the ball 40 times since he took the S.A.T. would be a knock.

I haven't said he's peaked, but that he's got a long way to go to be worth the spot and not a lot more time to get there.

Could he show up great and make me eat my words? Sure. But it's not something is consider likely.

How much time do you give the guy before saying its time to take a chance on someone new? Do you atleast think he's nearing that threshold if he doesn't show as a real option for weekly contributions?

I was one that was glad we took a shot on him instead of Martin! But our group is good enough and young enough that I don't see the point in a late blooming project WR that doesn't have any unique/defining feature

I think the other thing in Hogan's favour is he seems to be a guy EJ has some chemistry with. Even just on the highlights through OTAs etc I have seem them connect a fair few times. If it comes down to a tie don't bet against that being a deciding factor for the staff.

Do you know how ridiculous it sounds to say a player who played 1 year of college football has reached his peak, especially this early in his career?

He has been in the league 4 years now, bounced around to 4 different teams...and got beat out by Ramses Barden with the Giants, whom the Bills just cut.

Is it really THAT ridiculous? I think it's more ridiculous that people think this kid can grow into some kind of "Wes Welker" type of WR.

And again...just go look at the WR groups he got cut out of by the 49ers, Dolphins and Giants...and tell me exactly why you think he is some kind of up-and-coming WR in the NFL?

EDIT: Let me add...I think that last WR spot should go to someone who has potential to grow into a capable WR in the NFL...not just someone for special teams...that is my issue with Chris Hogan.

Edited by Bob Malooga

• 2 weeks later...

so this poll ended up being unnecessary. not only is Hogan going to make the team, but he has been running with the 1's the whole preseason. Now the question will be, do the Bills value Easley on special teams enough to keep him (i think this is a definite yes) and if so will they keep Graham as the 7th receiver? Graham has been returning kicks and punts so do they value him enough there to keep him on the roster?

so this poll ended up being unnecessary. not only is Hogan going to make the team, but he has been running with the 1's the whole preseason. Now the question will be, do the Bills value Easley on special teams enough to keep him (i think this is a definite yes) and if so will they keep Graham as the 7th receiver? Graham has been returning kicks and punts so do they value him enough there to keep him on the roster?

I think the loss of Hopkins to injury could increase the chances of both Easley and Graham making the team. I'm also assuming Hogan is lock at this point.

Right now, before PGH, PFF has our WRs rated in this order in the NFL. This is obviously affected by whether they're playing against the 1's or 2's or 3's of the defensive team:

7 Mike Williams

9 Robert Woods

20 Chris Hogan

44 Chris Summers

67 Tori Gurley, Marquise Goodwin (tie)

71 Sammy Watkins

93 TJ Graham

106 Marcus Easley

121 Kevin Elliott

283 Caleb Holley

Summers (2 for 2) and Gurley (1 for 1) have 100% caught, Hogan (5 for 6) has 83.3% caught, Woods (8 for 12) and Mike Williams (2 for 3) have 66%. Those put them in the Top 100 WRs.

It did end up being unneccessary. You're right about that.

Or did it??

How about all the guys that were typing *** about Hogan??? You could go there and "tell them so"

The guy has climbed the chart. That is awesome to see. Good for him.

Right now, before PGH, PFF has our WRs rated in this order in the NFL. This is obviously affected by whether they're playing against the 1's or 2's or 3's of the defensive team:

7 Mike Williams

9 Robert Woods

20 Chris Hogan

44 Chris Summers

67 Tori Gurley, Marquise Goodwin (tie)

71 Sammy Watkins

93 TJ Graham

106 Marcus Easley

121 Kevin Elliott

283 Caleb Holley

Summers (2 for 2) and Gurley (1 for 1) have 100% caught, Hogan (5 for 6) has 83.3% caught, Woods (8 for 12) and Mike Williams (2 for 3) have 66%. Those put them in the Top 100 WRs.

hogan > Sammy. What the hell!!!

Just kidding.

He has been in the league 4 years now, bounced around to 4 different teams...and got beat out by Ramses Barden with the Giants, whom the Bills just cut.

Is it really THAT ridiculous? I think it's more ridiculous that people think this kid can grow into some kind of "Wes Welker" type of WR.

And again...just go look at the WR groups he got cut out of by the 49ers, Dolphins and Giants...and tell me exactly why you think he is some kind of up-and-coming WR in the NFL?

EDIT: Let me add...I think that last WR spot should go to someone who has potential to grow into a capable WR in the NFL...not just someone for special teams...that is my issue with Chris Hogan.

It's not looking ridiculous anymore. He's looking really sharp in preseason.

Before PGH game I have 6 #Bills WRs on the 53 (MWilliams, Woods, Watkins, Hogan, Goodwin, Easley), Summers and Gurley on PS #BillsMafia

Haven't heard much about Easley recently. Have I missed something?

#Bills Special Teamers rank in preseason: Easley(3rd), Powell (13th), Gaines-Ladler -Brooks-Meeks (tied 31st), Hogan, Hopkins, Cockrell next

Graham is gone !! I never understood the pick any way with all the other talent that was there when they took him that was a head scratcher . That may have been the beginning of Buddy getting old timers .

Wasn't that the year R Wilson was still there ? If it was some one needs to kick Buddy in the ARS !!

Does anyone else think that Goodwin's inability to stay healthy impacts Graham's status?

Yes. One more injury during preseason would do it for Goodwin, IMHO. It might affect Graham, but Summers or Gurley as well, as I see those two as the PS receivers.

Graham is gone !! I never understood the pick any way with all the other talent that was there when they took him that was a head scratcher . That may have been the beginning of Buddy getting old timers .

Wasn't that the year R Wilson was still there ? If it was some one needs to kick Buddy in the ARS !!

I don't think we've covered that topic. Might be thread worthy. Would you trade tj for Wilson?

The Bills will probably go 5 WR and put him a WR or two on the practice squad. Spiller, Freddy, Brown or Moekei can be used as a receiver in a pinch. I wouldn't be surprised to see Marrone keep 2 kickers taking up that extra spot. But out of the players in the poll I have a feeling about Roosevelt, the Bills seem to like the idea of homegrown talent, I think it's a good strategy too.

The fringe guys who have been playing, such as Hogan and Easley, are probably not eligible for the practice squad. Naaman may still be eligible.

Not if he is injured and on the bench.

I think I would take Goodwin's speed and hands for 8 games over TJ's speed and lack of hands for 16.

I also believe Goodwin is a better route runner.

Edited by The Wiz

Hogan's in the mix for the "starting" slot position so I rank him above Goodwin and Easley. If I'm making a true depth chart in terms of ability to contribute in 2014/talent my top 6 our Williams, Woods, Watkins, Hogan, Goodwin, and Easley (for ST) and then everybody else. I know Graham gets hated but do think he could make it as a 4th or 5th WR on most teams.

Edited by The Jokeman