Who will get that 6th WR spot?

KDIGGZ

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make the squad as the 6th WR?

• Chris Hogan (7-11)
    • TJ Graham
    • Kevin Elliott
    • Naaman Roosevelt
    • Other

I obviously am biased here so take my opinion with a grain of salt but what has he done to warrant the spot. Honest question, can you ever see the guy making a play to impact a game? At least with Graham he may catch a bomb or get hauled down for a PI. Elliot has some size and maybe can help in the red zone. In addition, I have always been partial to Naaman. What does Hogan do better than Roosevelt (who also catches everything)? I just don't see the reason to keep Hogan around. I think that I voted for Graham because if he can make 5 of those plays this year he can actually help the team.

I'm on record for Eliott. He adds something we don't have with the rest - size. If he doesn't have a good camp I'll take Graham. He has blazing speed, which can't be taught. Some WRs are late bloomers and maybe the new WR coach can help. He isn't starting anymore so would just be a backup anyway.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Danny Crossman is going to fight like crazy for Easley if it comes down to it. Marrone mentioned they were going to put a higher priority on special teams this year so I can't imagine they would get rid of their best special teams player

F Cross man and F easley.

If easley had half the heart and effort Hogan has he'd be all pro. Gimme Hogan as a good number two slot man over Mr. Too many chances Marcus easley any day.

Edited by LVBillsBackr

I think it is intruiging. There are 4 locks and I think they will take two from Easley, Hogan and TJ. Elliott has size but I'm not convinced he has anything else just going on the bits I saw before he got hurt last pre-season. I don't think he is a very good route runner. I think it comes down to this.....

Hogan is the best receiver of the three and seems a solid "team" guy. He runs precise routes which is something I think they are looking for with EJ and is one of the reasons they let Stevie go. They want guys who run their routes inch perfect so that EJ has to make as little adjustment as possible. But does he have enough other elements? He is a good special teams player but not a stand out and he is never going to be an explosive playmaker. Easley is a special teams monster... and if he makes the team you are basically picking 5 receivers and a special teamer who can play WR in a crisis. TJ Graham seems to fit a lot of the fast paced, up tempo, luck follows speed type rhetoric that we have heard both from Marrone and Hackett, but has disappointed on the field. That said I do think he gets held a LOT on plays. One of the bigger things he could work on (and I mean this seriously) is selling PI calls to the officials. DeSean Jackson is a master of it... he makes sure that nobody can miss a hold on him.

I see Nelson as 3-4 on their depth chart... Nothing is official as it's camp, and nothing is posted yet on their site, but looking at their roster, I see 2-3 ahead of him

I've read that Nelson is getting all the first team snaps. Why would anybody doubt him? He's a stud. He is 6'5" with a 39" vertical and ~4.6 40 time. He has good speed for his size and an insane amount of catch radius! Results don't lie. He catches 65% of passes coming his way (better than any Bills WR). Sure, he was undrafted, but who was his QB in college? TEBOW!! Go figure.

I always liked Nelson. He was a good target in the redzone. Would have been a better 6th receiver than Hogan or Graham

I like Elliott's upside over Nelson. Really like Nelson though, seems like a great guy. Edited by YoloinOhio

Who cares? The guy isn't going to dress unless someone gets injured.

So when do you expect to see him, week one or two? ;)

I suspect the team keeps Hogan but I also suspect that it is a mistake. He looked great in training camp with the a dolphins but then they cut him. He looked great in training camp with the Bills last year and he was terrible in the games. Yes, I guess it is possible that he is finally learning to play the game now for the first time but he just reeks to me of a training camp star. I do love his combination of size, speed, strength and athleticism combined with a good over achiever attitude. If he could put it together he could be a decent player. He just was always open and caught everything in practice and then when he got in the game he was always open except on Sundays, and dropped the ball.

Graham gets open more than any Bills WR (until Sammy) but he is terrible at tracking the ball in the air which is an essential skill for a speed guy. Goodwin on the other hand is a natural at it. Graham is such a tease that we will probably give him every chance to make the team again. If I had to guess though, I say that Easley and hogan make it.

Easley is not a lock with the ST guys they signed like Boobie, Graham, and Sylvester. But if he shows anything at WR I think he still makes it.

So when do you expect to see him, week one or two? ;)

I suspect the team keeps Hogan but I also suspect that it is a mistake. He looked great in training camp with the a dolphins but then they cut him. He looked great in training camp with the Bills last year and he was terrible in the games. Yes, I guess it is possible that he is finally learning to play the game now for the first time but he just reeks to me of a training camp star. I do love his combination of size, speed, strength and athleticism combined with a good over achiever attitude. If he could put it together he could be a decent player. He just was always open and caught everything in practice and then when he got in the game he was always open except on Sundays, and dropped the ball.

Graham gets open more than any Bills WR (until Sammy) but he is terrible at tracking the ball in the air which is an essential skill for a speed guy. Goodwin on the other hand is a natural at it. Graham is such a tease that we will probably give him every chance to make the team again. If I had to guess though, I say that Easley and hogan make it.

Easley is not a lock with the ST guys they signed like Boobie, Graham, and Sylvester. But if he shows anything at WR I think he still makes it.

I want this team to be healthy so there aren't as many excuses if they fall short of a playoff spot. Although with Alonso going down they're off to a bad (unlucky) start.

Training camp battles are nice for debate during camp and journalists looking for a story, but I just don't see the importance when the regular season begins.

This is one of the more intriguing battles at training camp. We are pretty solid at WR for once (assuming everyone stays healthy). They must have felt pretty confident with our group if they let Stevie go. I feel like Easley is all but a lock to make the team based on his special teams play (led the league in tackles). So that probably only leaves one spot remaining.

There is the possibility we will retain 7, especially for special teams, but who out of the choices above do you think has the best chance at making this team?

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Robert Woods

3. Mike Williams

4. Marquise Goodwin

5. Marcus Easley (ST)

6. ??

Let's keep this updated as training camp progresses. This one probably won't be decided until the final cut.

Hogan will be 4rth

For all the heat Graham has taken, I would expect him to make this team. Speed is speed.

• Goodwin gets hurt a lot.
  • Graham's presence may make the Bills more willing to use Goodwin as a KR.
  • 15.7 YPC last year - the big play ability is still there.

If Hogan gets cut, he will be fortunate to latch on somewhere else. Graham will get picked up in a second.

TJ Graham

Cons:

Can't catch a cold

Has itty bitty hands

Can't run routes well

Is not good at playing NFL football.

Speed is speed but unreliable is unreliable.

TJ Graham is perfect for a preseason swap a la Thad Lewis and Jerry Hughes.

Swap a LB, that is on the bubble in a LB rich team like the 49ers that is WR poor, for TJ Graham.

If you think about it, except for depth due to injuries, you want your 5th and 6th WR to be ST studs. Easley proved last year he is an excellent gunner. Hogan is stronger than Graham and bigger. He may not be as fast, but Graham is too small to be effective on kick offs.

My bet for these reasons is Hogan and Easley for the last two spots. We finally get rid of stone hands Graham.

I don't know if there is a guarantee they even keep 6...gonna depend on where they value depth most

speed?

Hogan runs a 4.47...probably faster than Welker...and he actually dropped weight to 205 lbs.

What is exciting about him is he has played virtually no football since high school...he played lacrosse 4 years and then had a 5th year and went Monmouth to play football where he had something like 12 catches or some low number.

The fact he is better than some of the WRs who have played 4 years of college football says something about his athleticism and his natural ability. I think he could morph into a Wes Weller type of WR with a few more years of play and experience under his belt...this dude was way way rawer than EJ Manuel coming out and has improved pretty much every year

Edited by matter2003

hogan gets my vote. According to the BN article he had 4.47 speed, faster than SJ and AJ Green. His route running is getting better too.

He played 1 year of college football. Talk about raw? If he played 4 years of college football he might already be a Wes Welker clone.

Edited by matter2003

He played 1 year of college football. Talk about raw? If he played 4 years of college football he might already be a Wes Welker clone.

Except that Hogan has size too. He has been 220 in the past but even at 205 (i'm sure he's all muscle too) and 6'1" he's able to play physical vs the db's

This is one of the more intriguing battles at training camp. We are pretty solid at WR for once (assuming everyone stays healthy). They must have felt pretty confident with our group if they let Stevie go. I feel like Easley is all but a lock to make the team based on his special teams play (led the league in tackles). So that probably only leaves one spot remaining.

There is the possibility we will retain 7, especially for special teams, but who out of the choices above do you think has the best chance at making this team?

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Robert Woods

3. Mike Williams

4. Marquise Goodwin

5. Marcus Easley (ST)

6. ??

Let's keep this updated as training camp progresses. This one probably won't be decided until the final cut.

Whoever it is, let's hope we never need to be using our 6th WR in a game.

You'd think that Graham would be the odd man out based on his lack of production but this staff seems infatuated with speed and he's one of the the fastest guys on the team so it'll be interesting to see. I got a feeling it'll be Hogan that goes.

I made a prediction a year ago, and I am sticking to it! :flirt:

TRH @BUFFAL0SOLDI3R · 6:20 PM - 24 Aug 2013

@MichaelThomas82 Chris hogan has reached his peak. he was turned down by a Miami team who desperately needed WRs for a rookie qb. Says a lot.

TRH @BUFFAL0SOLDI3R · 6:20 PM - 24 Aug 2013

@MichaelThomas82 Kevin Elliott is my sleeper, he is 6-3, 210...and runs a 4.4 forty yard dash...I can see him making the team next year.

(Yes, I realized my forty-time for him is a little off, should be a 4.5 forty-yard dash.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I want Hogan. Sure TJ has speed but so do Goodwin, Woods and Sammy. Hogan catches EVERYTHING!

I get what you are saying about keeping complimentary a skill set.

But the opposite POV has validity. If Sammy, Goodwin, or another speedy WR goes down, TJ is a good backup because he has similar speed. We wouldn't have to change the play-calling much or, worse, throw out the game plan.

I think there is a chance we keep 7... If we keep 7 it's because they want to keep all 3- Hogan, Easley, and Hogan

Ugh, I don't want to keep ONE "Hogan," let alone TWO of them! :nana:

And does Hogan really "catch everything?" I recall in 2013 he had two critical drops on 3rd down, one of which was in overtime. (Can't remember the opponent.)

He also had a critical drop last year, late in a game...and another time, if I recall correctly, he ran the wrong route in the end zone.

He couldn't breakthrough a WR group in Miami that was...Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Anthony Armstrong, Legedu Naanee, Jabar Gaffney, Armon Binns, Rishard Matthews and Marlon Moore.

How in the world does he fit into our WR group?

He got a cool nickname from a training camp/preseason TV show, that's his claim to fame. He's the kid in gym class who gets extra credit for "trying hard."

Brett Swain (who?) beat him out in San Francisco in 2011...and then he couldn't beat out Ramses Barden with the Giants in 2011, either, and the Bills just cut him.

I just don't see what other people see in this kid that makes him so special that he needs to make our opening day roster?

Edited by Bob Malooga

Ugh, I don't want to keep ONE "Hogan," let alone TWO of them! :nana:

And does Hogan really "catch everything?" I recall in 2013 he had two critical drops on 3rd down, one of which was in overtime. (Can't remember the opponent.)

He also had a critical drop last year, late in a game...and another time, if I recall correctly, he ran the wrong route in the end zone.

He couldn't breakthrough a WR group in Miami that was...Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Anthony Armstrong, Legedu Naanee, Jabar Gaffney, Armon Binns, Rishard Matthews and Marlon Moore.

How in the world does he fit into our WR group?

He got a cool nickname from a training camp/preseason TV show, that's his claim to fame. He's the kid in gym class who gets extra credit for "trying hard."

Brett Swain (who?) beat him out in San Francisco in 2011...and then he couldn't beat out Ramses Barden with the Giants in 2011, either, and the Bills just cut him.

I just don't see what other people see in this kid that makes him so special that he needs to make our opening day roster?

Players develop every year... Stevie was a 7th round selection and took a couple years (and a haircut) to develop... His limited experience playing football at a high level out him further behind the 8 ball which explains his other stops...

He has dropped weight and gotten burst... I think he's got a shot... If they cut him, the hype surrounding his improvements were just that... But I think that he is better than last year... Looked good in camp and also was heavily targeted with all groups he ran with....

I made a prediction a year ago, and I am sticking to it! :flirt:

(Yes, I realized my forty-time for him is a little off, should be a 4.5 forty-yard dash.)

Do you know how ridiculous it sounds to say a player who played 1 year of college football has reached his peak, especially this early in his career?

Do you know how ridiculous it sounds to say a player who played 1 year of college football has reached his peak, especially this early in his career?

To be fair he's going into his 4th pro year and will be turning 26 this season. That he is still only challenging to make a roster and hasn't progressed to an obvious lock... Well his window is closing faster than his game is progressing unless he has a big surprise in store for us.