Who will get that 6th WR spot?

KDIGGZ

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who will make the squad as the 6th WR?

• Chris Hogan (7-11)
    • TJ Graham
    • Kevin Elliott
    • Naaman Roosevelt
    • Other

This is one of the more intriguing battles at training camp. We are pretty solid at WR for once (assuming everyone stays healthy). They must have felt pretty confident with our group if they let Stevie go. I feel like Easley is all but a lock to make the team based on his special teams play (led the league in tackles). So that probably only leaves one spot remaining.

There is the possibility we will retain 7, especially for special teams, but who out of the choices above do you think has the best chance at making this team?

1. Sammy Watkins

2. Robert Woods

3. Mike Williams

4. Marquise Goodwin

5. Marcus Easley (ST)

6. ??

Let's keep this updated as training camp progresses. This one probably won't be decided until the final cut.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Marcus Easley is necessarily a lock. He sure did tear it up on ST last year...

I think it's:

Graham

Easley

Hogan

Elliot

Fighting for the last 2 spots...

For all the good things I heard about Elliot on this board, he certainly didn't stand out at practice yesterday. Graham didn't look too bad, I do recall on ball that firmly landed in his mits that he dropped...

I don't recall Hogan dropping a pass and was far more frequently targeted than any of the other 3 on the bubble

I don't think Marcus Easley is necessarily a lock. He sure did tear it up on ST last year...

I think it's:

Graham

Easley

Hogan

Elliot

Fighting for the last 2 spots...

For all the good things I heard about Elliot on this board, he certainly didn't stand out at practice yesterday. Graham didn't look too bad, I do recall on ball that firmly landed in his mits that he dropped...

I don't recall Hogan dropping a pass and was far more frequently targeted than any of the other 3 on the bubble

I think Danny Crossman is going to fight like crazy for Easley if it comes down to it. Marrone mentioned they were going to put a higher priority on special teams this year so I can't imagine they would get rid of their best special teams player

I think Danny Crossman is going to fight like crazy for Easley if it comes down to it. Marrone mentioned they were going to put a higher priority on special teams this year so I can't imagine they would get rid of their best special teams player

I don't doubt that he has a legit shot at making the team- just don't think he's a lock

The Bills will probably go 5 WR and put him a WR or two on the practice squad. Spiller, Freddy, Brown or Moekei can be used as a receiver in a pinch. I wouldn't be surprised to see Marrone keep 2 kickers taking up that extra spot. But out of the players in the poll I have a feeling about Roosevelt, the Bills seem to like the idea of homegrown talent, I think it's a good strategy too.

Considering Easley as a WR position is not a lock. He is extremely likely to make the team. But not because he is a WR. Like Mark Pike, Gabe Northern, Steve Tasker, Corbin Lacina ... they just have a position because something needs to be on paper.

We will have at least 5 WR's and Easley. Or we will have 6 WR's and Easley and no FB and ride 4 RB strong. When injury comes to an RB we call Summers or Rodriguez.

So to bring it back to your question - Graham.

To be honest- Elliot didn't really impress yesterday, but his size is intriguing.... We have 5 PS games to get a good look, though.... Certainly one practice does not a camp make

I know, I saw he didn't look good. I just like his upside better. TBH I'd like to keep them both. Hogan *might* be OK as a backup in the slot.

I know, I saw he didn't look good. I just like his upside better. TBH I'd like to keep them both. Hogan *might* be OK as a backup in the slot.

I think they all have their strong points.

Hogan - hands, reliable

TJ - speed, experience

Elliott - size

Roosevelt - uhh he's from Buffalo?

I guess they might value certain characteristics more than others

For all the heat Graham has taken, I would expect him to make this team. Speed is speed.

• Goodwin gets hurt a lot.
  • Graham's presence may make the Bills more willing to use Goodwin as a KR.
  • 15.7 YPC last year - the big play ability is still there.

If Hogan gets cut, he will be fortunate to latch on somewhere else. Graham will get picked up in a second.

I want Hogan. Sure TJ has speed but so do Goodwin, Woods and Sammy. Hogan catches EVERYTHING!

until Goodwin lasts 3 preseason games I do not want to count on him as anything more then #4 and the can openerto take the top off.

I can't rely on a guy that fragile to play all 3 WR positions. Graham is dependable for being healthy. Hogan and Elliot are both big boys and have nice upside

If Easley shows some good promise at WR then I think it is simple. Easley becomes first off the bench instead of Graham. Graham fights it out with hogan and Elliot for the last straw or two

Hogan and Graham. Easley draws the short straw.

I think the coaches love Hogan. He's the definition of a training camp hero.

I think they might keep Graham because if Goodwin gets hurt they would still like another speedster to take the top off of the D. Whether or not Featherstone can stop fighting the ball and catch it is another issue...

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I want Hogan. Sure TJ has speed but so do Goodwin, Woods and Sammy. Hogan catches EVERYTHING!

Hogan does have upward of 22 receptions if you count his college career too. Just imagine if he had like 26 passes to him - he'd probably have 26 catches in his life!

Hogan is also very good on ST, and a pretty good backup WR.

He's not a good enough special teamer for that to carry him. He's acceptable as a special teams contributor but I can say he's any kind of ace or we shouldn't have been near as bad last year.

For those doubting Easley, there was a lot of emphasis this off season to acquiring core special teams players. Easley certainly seemed to be that. Doug's buddy, and his own reputation, are on the line here.

Hogan and Graham. Easley draws the short straw.

I think the coaches love Hogan. He's the definition of a training camp hero.

I think they might keep Graham because if Goodwin gets hurt they would still like another speedster to take the top off of the D. Whether or not Featherstone can stop fighting the ball and catch it is another issue...

Graham's value is not that he is just a speedster, he is the only WR have down the chart that can play all three positions. Woods can play any position, Mike Williams would probably be able to play any position, and Sammy Watkins is a wildcard. You need a 4th WR that can fill in at a moments notice and play all 3. Goodwin cannot do that, and unless he shows ability to stay healthy there is a high chance he might not last in the NFL - that is very unfortunate.

Goodwin is the first guy I want in when we put 4 WR's on the field. Graham is the first WR, right now at least, to go in when we need to sub.

I have picked Roosevelt . Thats my pick .

But honestly it's waaay too early

Yep I agree. We can keep this thread going and you can change your vote if need be. I'm sure after some preseason games some of us might change our minds

I'd think TJ, unless one of the others does something amazing in camp/pre-season. He's the only one with significant NFL experience.

There is an outside shot TJ is McKelvin's offensive equivalent...so we aught to keep him unless he's terrible in camp.

There is an outside shot TJ is McKelvin's offensive equivalent...so we aught to keep him unless he's terrible in camp.

Aught means zero . you know that right ? and having some fine with us

like nineteen aught nine means 1909. My Mom used to use this in story telling. ; )

Graham's value is not that he is just a speedster, he is the only WR have down the chart that can play all three positions. Woods can play any position, Mike Williams would probably be able to play any position, and Sammy Watkins is a wildcard. You need a 4th WR that can fill in at a moments notice and play all 3. Goodwin cannot do that, and unless he shows ability to stay healthy there is a high chance he might not last in the NFL - that is very unfortunate.

Goodwin is the first guy I want in when we put 4 WR's on the field. Graham is the first WR, right now at least, to go in when we need to sub.

I'm admittedly a Goodwin guy so I do think he can play all three spots. His speed is such a factor that all of his other routes benefit from the threat it presents. When he had to play in the #1WR role last year he looked great. His curl routes are extremely tough to cover because he can pump the breaks so quickly. I'll agree his nagging injuries are worrisome.

WRT to Graham, I actually do like him. I think if he can put things together he could carve himself out a role on the team. He gets open a lot more than most people recognize but it scares me how often he fights the ball. He does have experience and you might be right about him being the next man up as a sub, but i think how he does on special teams will be the biggest factor in whether or not he makes the squad.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Jay Skurski@JaySkurski 32m

Great look at #Bills WR Chris Hogan and his chances of sticking on the roster from @gggaughan ... http://www.buffalone...140724 …

awesome article, thanks. i didn't know all of Hogan's history. i just thought he was another undrafted guy trying to make the league. he became famous from his Hard Knocks nickname 7-11 when he was trying to make the Dolphins I believe. but i didn't realize he played lacrosse in college. interesting stuff, thanks

Edited by kdiggz

Who is the top 5?

Watkins

Woods

Williams

Goodwin

Who's fifth?

Easley because of Special Teams (led the NFL in special teams tackles). Unless he shows to be a completely incompetent receiver, we all expect him to make the team

BtXaVvBCMAEgh4D.jpg

I obviously am biased here so take my opinion with a grain of salt but what has he done to warrant the spot. Honest question, can you ever see the guy making a play to impact a game? At least with Graham he may catch a bomb or get hauled down for a PI. Elliot has some size and maybe can help in the red zone. In addition, I have always been partial to Naaman. What does Hogan do better than Roosevelt (who also catches everything)? I just don't see the reason to keep Hogan around. I think that I voted for Graham because if he can make 5 of those plays this year he can actually help the team.