Time to bring back the RED helmets?

176 members have voted

1. 1. What color helmet do you prefer?

• I like the retro look of WHITE
    • RED is the new retro. I love the 90's Bills!
    • Gugny

When I think of the championship teams of the past, the teams that I grew up watching and loving, I think of Jim, Thurman, and Bruce rocking the red, white, and blue. I was just a young boy going to football games with my grandpa on Sundays. We sat in the 300 level and I needed binoculars to see the players, but I loved every minute of it. Little did I know that history was being made right before my eyes. The memory of those games made me the fan that I am today and still bring a smile to my face.

1990-bills-thomas-kelly-smith.jpg

0079338874623_P255075_500X500.jpg

The great teams of the 90's soon led us to the terrible teams of the 2000's. My grandpa, upset at the way they handled the Doug Flutie situation and the subsequent loss to the Titans in the "Music City Miracle", decided to give up his season tickets. This wasn't the same Bills team that I had grown up watching. Retirement, free agency, and mediocrity led to a string of horrible seasons. It looked as though we may never be a viable franchise again. The dark blue uniforms signified the "dark ages" of Buffalo Bills history.

p1_bledsoe_all.jpg

When "throwback" jerseys became all the rage I was quick to embrace the look. Change was good. We needed something to distract us from the terrible team on the field. The white helmets were "cool" and reminded us of our rich history. Change was good but it wasn't the change that we needed. The change that we craved.

0FJxJ2.jpg

Last season there was a glimmer of hope. A sense that we were on to something. We had a new coaching staff and a new guy under center. Things were fresh and exciting. For the first time in a long time I felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

buffalo-bills-robert-woods-ej-manuel.jpg

That brings us to today. While we might not be quite there, I have hope. I'm reminded of the championship teams of my youth. The red, white, and blue. Have the red helmets become the new retro? A throwback to the 90's when the Bills were champions of the AFC and spirits were high across WNY? There are the obvious reasons to switch back as well. Many of the teams we play, including 2 out of the other 3 teams in our division, wear white helmets. Red is easier to spot down field. But there might be other reasons too. Perhaps it's time for a change. Something to signify that the Bills are back in a big way and we aren't going to be pushed around anymore.

Buffalohome_zpse5f0c601.png

Buffaloaway_zps1d520c1b.png

SpillerReed_zps377dd582.png

Maybe we aren't quite there yet. Maybe we don't deserve them quite yet. But 2015 might be the right time. New owner, new outlook, and a playoff bound team?

Go Bills!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should wear one of two helmets (or both during a season): the red ones as you suggest; or the throwback 1960's white helmets with the corresponding throwback logo.

Props to the OP for a great topic/post.

Edited by RyanC883

We have a scond helmet?

NFL teams can no longer use a physically different 2nd helmet--- in the Bills' case, both their throwback and modern helmets are white, so when they wear the throwbacks they just change the decal from charging blue buffalo to the standing red buffalo.

In other words, the Bills cannot wear both a white and a separate red helmet during the same season.

NFL teams can no longer use a physically different 2nd helmet--- in the Bills' case, both their throwback and modern helmets are white, so when they wear the throwbacks they just change the decal from charging blue buffalo to the standing red buffalo.

In other words, the Bills cannot wear both a white and a separate red helmet during the same season.

Huh. Didn't know that. Makes sense I guess. Since I'm sure they're all specially fitted. I'd assume it has something to do with safety?

i used to think the bills "charging buffalo" logo was tacky, but through the years it's really, really grown on me.

the simple use of the streak behind the horn to symbolize speed, strength, and movement is superb, and the charging buffalo itself does a great job of conveying the animal.

im in the EXTREME... EXTREME... minority here, but the jerseys worn for the first decade of the 2000s were nice, in my opinion. please please please note that it was a decision of the players to wear blue on blue/white on white with those jerseys--they were never designed, nor intended to be worn like that. if you see the white jerseys paired with the blue pants (and vice versa) the uniform, the colors, and the striping all makes sense. the uniforms were never given a fair shot, and were never worn correctly.

those uniforms, with white helmets, could have been the best uni combo we've ever had.

i used to think the bills "charging buffalo" logo was tacky, but through the years it's really, really grown on me.

the simple use of the streak behind the horn to symbolize speed, strength, and movement is superb, and the charging buffalo itself does a great job of conveying the animal.

im in the EXTREME... EXTREME... minority here, but the jerseys worn for the first decade of the 2000s were nice, in my opinion. please please please note that it was a decision of the players to wear blue on blue/white on white with those jerseys--they were never designed, nor intended to be worn like that. if you see the white jerseys paired with the blue pants (and vice versa) the uniform, the colors, and the striping all makes sense. the uniforms were never given a fair shot, and were never worn correctly.

those uniforms, with white helmets, could have been the best uni combo we've ever had.

I hated those, no matter the shirt/pant combo. Granted we sucked the whole time we wore them, so it might be the fact that they bring back bad memories.

They should go with the really long ago throwbacks, the blue and silver of the original 1960 Bills...

http://www.buffaloru...ghout-the-years

Wow JJ i never knew that.

Because they were Lions toss offs , i must say NO.

wait... something on the edge of my mind.....lions.... old laundry ?

hmmm.

I like the stodgy old buffalo standing in the snow. If you have ever seen one knee deep in snow , or a picture/video with his breath being exhaled through those big nostrils you would look at that helmet and see determination and fortitude. And isnt that what the Buffalonians are all about ? No quit and cant be moved. ready to push forward

That was one hell of a logo

Edited by 3rdand12

They should go with the really long ago throwbacks, the blue and silver of the original 1960 Bills...

http://www.buffaloru...ghout-the-years

Great link - I love the current look, the white helmet makes the whole uni feel clean and classic. The Red's, while fun in the 90's, stick out in the overall look too much IMO. I do like the silver's though Jack!

Look at those 2002 - 2010s, no wonder we sucked for so long. O_o

The Bills were only relevant for a short time in the last 20 years. During that time, the helmet and socks were RED. The last time we won more than six games the helmets were RED. The las time we made the playoffs the helmets were RED. The last AFC Chapionship we won were in RED HELMETS. -Call it arbitrary, call it superstitious, call it whatever you want... THE BILLS PLAYED BETTER FOOTBALL IN RED HELMETS.

I'm always shocked anyone would choose the white helmet over the red...To me there is no comparison...The red looks bad-ass...The white just can't compare... B-)

Do you think part of the reason is the fact that we have so many good memories in the red helmets, and the only memories we have in white are the past three years, and the OJ Simpson era, which we're not allowed to talk about?

I'm all in on the red. They would look sweet with he blue jersey. And with the white. The whit pants with white jerseys and white helmets is just too much white. The red helmets would be a nice touch. But, it ain't happenin', but fun to think about.

So not ready to joke about the Kiko injury.

The sad thing is I was partly not joking. I feel so depressed about the Kiko injury that I'm grasping at any form of superstitious nonsense to counter the obvious curse that clouds the Bills. ......and I like the red helmets.

When I think of the championship teams of the past, the teams that I grew up watching and loving, I think of Jim, Thurman, and Bruce rocking the red, white, and blue. I was just a young boy going to football games with my grandpa on Sundays. We sat in the 300 level and I needed binoculars to see the players, but I loved every minute of it. Little did I know that history was being made right before my eyes. The memory of those games made me the fan that I am today and still bring a smile to my face.

1990-bills-thomas-kelly-smith.jpg

0079338874623_P255075_500X500.jpg

The great teams of the 90's soon led us to the terrible teams of the 2000's. My grandpa, upset at the way they handled the Doug Flutie situation and the subsequent loss to the Titans in the "Music City Miracle", decided to give up his season tickets. This wasn't the same Bills team that I had grown up watching. Retirement, free agency, and mediocrity led to a string of horrible seasons. It looked as though we may never be a viable franchise again. The dark blue uniforms signified the "dark ages" of Buffalo Bills history.

p1_bledsoe_all.jpg

When "throwback" jerseys became all the rage I was quick to embrace the look. Change was good. We needed something to distract us from the terrible team on the field. The white helmets were "cool" and reminded us of our rich history. Change was good but it wasn't the change that we needed. The change that we craved.

0FJxJ2.jpg

Last season there was a glimmer of hope. A sense that we were on to something. We had a new coaching staff and a new guy under center. Things were fresh and exciting. For the first time in a long time I felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

buffalo-bills-robert-woods-ej-manuel.jpg

That brings us to today. While we might not be quite there, I have hope. I'm reminded of the championship teams of my youth. The red, white, and blue. Have the red helmets become the new retro? A throwback to the 90's when the Bills were champions of the AFC and spirits were high across WNY? There are the obvious reasons to switch back as well. Many of the teams we play, including 2 out of the other 3 teams in our division, wear white helmets. Red is easier to spot down field. But there might be other reasons too. Perhaps it's time for a change. Something to signify that the Bills are back in a big way and we aren't going to be pushed around anymore.

Buffalohome_zpse5f0c601.png

Buffaloaway_zps1d520c1b.png

SpillerReed_zps377dd582.png

Maybe we aren't quite there yet. Maybe we don't deserve them quite yet. But 2015 might be the right time. New owner, new outlook, and a playoff bound team?

Go Bills!

love the red, never wanted the white it's just boring and shows lack of creativity.

The only championships the Bills ever won were in the old AFL in 1964 and 1965.. The helmets were white. They changed to the red helmets in an effort the help Joe Ferguson throw less interceptions.

Hey it might work for EJ

I hated the navy blue unis, so glad we went back to the way they look now. I'm fine with using the red helmets for a throwback or two. I'm almost positive the Steelers helmets for throwback are a different color from their black ones.

If they really cannot change the color and someone has a link from the NFL, then I get it. Now if EJ used it to his advantage, then I'd change to red in a heartbeat.