Time to bring back the RED helmets?

176 members have voted

1. 1. What color helmet do you prefer?

• I like the retro look of WHITE
    • RED is the new retro. I love the 90's Bills!
    • Gugny

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I remember, the reason the Bills went from a white helmet to a red one, was so Kelly had an easier time spotting the red helmet of his receivers, than the white ones. This switch was early on in the Kelly-Levy era.

Should have never changed them from Red. The red ones look badder.

The word you're looking for is "worse" -- badder is poor grammar.

Repeat after me: "The red ones look worse. The red ones look worse."

As I remember, the reason the Bills went from a white helmet to a red one, was so Kelly had an easier time spotting the red helmet of his receivers, than the white ones. This switch was early on in the Kelly-Levy era.

Nope.

Ferguson, and Kay Stephenson. I seem to recall it was done because Fergie was color-blind, and every other team in the division also had a white hat at the time. The red was dark and would provide differentiation.

Edited by eball

I think the white helmets look way better. Just a classic look.

Don't care if it's supposed to look "retro" or not. It just looks better.

White blows the red out of the water. Why people want to mess with the best uniform in Bills history is beyond me.....

The charging buffalo really pops out on the white helmet, which is why I like it the best. No to the red! Preference is probably based on what you grew up seeing. The Bills sucked in the red helmets too before Polian came along.

I say we get red shoes, blues shoes, and white shoes. Same for pants, then the shirts, then the helmets. We alternate every game with no rhyme or reason. One week all red, then blue, then white. It will be chaos, anarchy. Cats and dogs living together. It will be crazy.

We'll mess with the colorblind fans all year.

Then again, we could just finally put a good team together and start winning. Nah, let's stick with the shock and awe with color changes.

Just kidding everyone. I don't care what is the color of the helmet. They all look cool.

I say we get red shoes, blues shoes, and white shoes. Same for pants, then the shirts, then the helmets. We alternate every game with no rhyme or reason. One week all red, then blue, then white. It will be chaos, anarchy. Cats and dogs living together. It will be crazy.

We'll mess with the colorblind fans all year.

Then again, we could just finally put a good team together and start winning. Nah, let's stick with the shock and awe with color changes.

Just kidding everyone. I don't care what is the color of the helmet. They all look cool.

What about green or gold helmets? Something completely different from the rest of our scheme, that'll throw everyone off.

White helmet all the way. Love the white helmet. White w/ red buffalo...that's the best helmet in the league and I'm really not being biased b/c I readily admit the red is below average.

Edited by MoreOffense

The charging buffalo really pops out on the white helmet, which is why I like it the best. No to the red! Preference is probably based on what you grew up seeing. The Bills sucked in the red helmets too before Polian came along.

In all deference to all the various Bills helmets, but the Bills have sucked pretty hard in all incarnations.

Now when I was old enough to have any concept of the Bills and football, I was 7...1972. I remember vividly the disdain that Bills fans had in 1974 when the Bills changed from standing, to charging Buffalo.. I liked it a lot! When they changed from white to red helmets in 1984, I hated it...and I think a very vocal segment of Bills fans did as well...we just didn't have the internet to make our opinions known. Unfortunately, those ugly red helmets were the only saving grace for the Tom Donohoe era uniform change in 2002...though, I will admit, the all-blue uniforms with the red helmets kinda grew on me... but for me, it isn't even close...this current look is the best of all!

Nope.

Ferguson, and Kay Stephenson. I seem to recall it was done because Fergie was color-blind, and every other team in the division also had a white hat at the time. The red was dark and would provide differentiation.

"Everyone we played had white helmets at that time," Ferguson said. "Our new head coach Kay Stephenson just wanted to get more of a contrast on the field that may help spot a receiver down the field."

I stand corrected. I tend to forget those years. Thanks.

Love the 90's uniforms where you have an even distribution of red, white and blue.

Not only do I prefer the red helmet but I also like the red shin sox as well.

I always thought the red hemets were the most attractive in the league.

The uniforms now look like knock off Colts uniforms.

Nothing to offset the blue. Our white uni's are down right boring.

Edited by VADC Bills

I think the current uniforms are great, but I am intrigued by the blue helmet. Pretty cool looking. I don't like the red helmets, but I would choose them over the grazing buffalo waiting to be slaughtered.

I think the red helmets should be forever retired as they are emblematic of the Kelly and Super Bowl(s) era. Let them stand as a reminder of those days. The white look great - current unis are my all-time favorite. The blue helmets are intriguing though......

SpillerReed_zps377dd582.png

it would have helped if you had not used Reeds weird looking air helmet with the long white chin straps in this pic, nice pot though, i like white now even though i liked red at first. i still wish they would do the long red sox with the current uni. i do it in madden and it looks great. i also hate blue pants and love all white.

<p>The blue uniforms look pretty cool with the blue helmets.

A lot of people like the blue helmets surprisingly. I was thinking about adding an option for blue or "other" to the poll but I was most interested in white vs red. Personally, I like the red of course but it looks like most fans want to stick with the white. I think whatever color we go with, we should go with a matte color like the Vikings or UB. A flat red or a white with a pearl effect would look really cool