Buffalo Bills Won’t Use Bryce Brown Much In 2014

HOUSE

When looking for strengths on the Buffalo Bills‘ roster, the first position you’ll probably wind up at is running back. The Bills have more talent and depth in their backfield than perhaps at any other position. Even before 2014, the Bills had a pair of studs in Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller, but they bolstered the position by adding Bryce Brown and Anthony Dixon this offseason. Those four make up a backfield that is as deep and talented as any in the NFL. Snip/

http://www.rantsport...n-much-in-2014/

Edited by HOUSE

Uh-oh. Better not let mrags see this. He says Brown will have wrestled the starting job away from Spiller by mid-season.

GO BILLS!!!

already saw it.

I really think more on the lines that CJ will just be injured again and that will effect his terrible play this season.

already saw it.

I really think more on the lines that CJ will just be injured again and that will effect his terrible play this season.

So Brown will have backed into replacing CJ due to injury but not because he's a better player. Thanks for clearing that up.

GO BILLS!!!

If they don't use him much he'll be pissed !!!

4 solid backs, 2 are holdovers, one a FA signing and the 4th acquired via trade. We had the most carries last season & it will be more of the same this coming season. Additions to the o-line, additions to the backfield...gonna be some ground pounders.

It's not just CJ that gets hurt every year, Fred-Ex does too, tough as he is. As much as it sucked watching CJ limp around and duck out of bounds constantly it was a lot better than watching Tashard Choice's slow ass. Its basically inevitable at least one of Fred/CJ will get hurt, as soon as that happens Brown becomes an important player.

After the EJs and the Sammys BB is one of the players I'm most looking forward to seeing in the preseason. An almost impossible combination of size and speed and the fact Mr. Whaley worked for 18 months to get this kid? I'm really intrigued.

I just dont want to see a running back limping around the field and playing......ever

Someone gets dinged up.....get him off the field and heal......REALLY HEAL.....no RBs playing with high ankle sprains that affect their play.....drove me insane last year that we were not seeing the real CJ Spiller

We needed to upgrade the #3 RB spot since we signed tashard choice.... We shoulda kept Joique Bell to begin with but with an older Fred and a frail CJ we should have had a better option for quite some time.

Adding Dixon and Brown was long overdue and I love having all four.

Fans are gunna fall in love with Dixon at the first home game....

Can't wait till third and one....

Go Bills!

4 solid backs, 2 are holdovers, one a FA signing and the 4th acquired via trade. We had the most carries last season & it will be more of the same this coming season. BIG Additions to the o-line, additions to the backfield...gonna be some ground pounders.

Our line is intriguing...especially in terms of running game potential. Glad we have lots of options in the backfield too.

some good posts , gentle men all.

Line being intirguing is well said ^

Third and one is something Marrone wants to own more than his children i suspect ^^

And a Full House ? Gosh dangit Mark , now you are talking my game .

Should be fun

So Brown will have backed into replacing CJ due to injury but not because he's a better player. Thanks for clearing that up.

GO BILLS!!!

no. He will outplay him. But at the cost of being hung in front of the scoreboard and castrated in front of everyone of he pulls CJ, he will give him all the opportunities to succeed. Basically giving him all the excuses in the world. Until CJ is running one day, should go out of bounds to stop the clock but doesn't because he's a box of rocks, gets hammered, gets a broken collarbone, and loses us the game in return.

Have fun with him as your starting RB.

Can anyone a remember a season where we didn't have hurt RBs somewhere in the middle of the year. We'll see all four guys this year. If Brown comes in for CJ and can run better up the middle, we've solved our contract extension problem with CJ and he walks. He'll be motivated to get that contract extension so he'll play as hard as he can.

We'll see. I still want Father Time to finish well with a great year. My favorite Bill since Talley is Fredex.

Can anyone a remember a season where we didn't have hurt RBs somewhere in the middle of the year. We'll see all four guys this year. If Brown comes in for CJ and can run better up the middle, we've solved our contract extension problem with CJ and he walks. He'll be motivated to get that contract extension so he'll play as hard as he can.

We'll see. I still want Father Time to finish well with a great year. My favorite Bill since Talley is Fredex.

sounds about right. And agree on Fredex. Probably my favorite of all time.

It's not just CJ that gets hurt every year, Fred-Ex does too, tough as he is. As much as it sucked watching CJ limp around and duck out of bounds constantly it was a lot better than watching Tashard Choice's slow ass. Its basically inevitable at least one of Fred/CJ will get hurt, as soon as that happens Brown becomes an important player.

After the EJs and the Sammys BB is one of the players I'm most looking forward to seeing in the preseason. An almost impossible combination of size and speed and the fact Mr. Whaley worked for 18 months to get this kid? I'm really intrigued.

This is the year it'll proven if CJ is tough enough to play in the NFL. If not, if he has meetings with his leg after every play-- I've got no problem seeing a heavy dose of Bryce.

I hope he exits stage left gracefully .

Our line is intriguing...especially in terms of running game potential. Glad we have lots of options in the backfield too.

The line is certainly intriguing, I'm just concerned about 3 possible new starters - especially if the RG and RT are rookies. Still expecting improvement , but wondering how long it will take.

To make a saints connection again - I could see brown playing the mike bell 2009 role. #3 on the depth chart and leading the team in carries grinding out games, while Fred (Pierre thomas) leads the backs in yardage, and cj struggles a bit to find a role but has a few big games and a lot of tds (but not consistency week to week).

Strange, how they can bring in competition from Fred and CJ and have 2 more backups who could challenge for playing time, but we can't bring in anyone to compete with E.J ? Why is it because he's to fragile ? Better competition means better players. If E.J flames out then so be it, he wont be the first, and we go looking for another QB next year in round 2 since we have no round 1 pick.

Strange, how they can bring in competition from Fred and CJ and have 2 more backups who could challenge for playing time, but we can't bring in anyone to compete with E.J ? Why is it because he's to fragile ? Better competition means better players. If E.J flames out then so be it, he wont be the first, and we go looking for another QB next year in round 2 since we have no round 1 pick.

That may be true, but it seems that sharing such information about EJ may constitute a violation of his privacy rights and you could be held liable in a court of law. I suggest you remove this post before you and everyone else in this thread find yourselves at the ass end of a class action reaming.

That may be true, but it seems that sharing such information about EJ may constitute a violation of his privacy rights and you could be held liable in a court of law. I suggest you remove this post before you and everyone else in this thread find yourselves at the ass end of a class action reaming.

Meanwhile, back on topic...

Not strange at all. Fred is old and FA after this year, CJ is FA after this year. It is a wise move to bring in others. Brown has potential starters ability.Staff has made a commitment to EJ, and even if they wanted competition, there isn't much out there. We have a starter and competent backups at QB, that's acceptable. Not many QB's unsigned with #1 long term QB potential.

Brown is a guy who averaged 4.0 yards a carry in 5 games last year. Spiller did it in 8. I don't think Brown is anything more than 3rd on the depth chart. Dixon is a ST player and that's about it. If a RB gets hurt Brown will get carries. That should be about it.

Thats for next off season to grind out between us. This year its EJ. stay cool with that

Yeah, I think that's basically the point - Marrone wants 2 healthy backs, and if FredEx or CJ go down, he wants someone who can fill in effectively, which was not Tashard Choice.

As for the article, the author is Just A Guy like us. It's essentially another way of saying FredEx and CJ are the guys until one of them gets hurt, then Brown becomes the guy, except he's sort of writing from the unstated assumption that they won't get hurt

Please tell me how this has any business in this thread talking about running backs

4 solid backs, 2 are holdovers, one a FA signing and the 4th acquired via trade. We had the most carries last season & it will be more of the same this coming season. Additions to the o-line, additions to the backfield...gonna be some ground pounders.

This is DM's game plan. He's not banking on EJ's arm and decision making to get us to the playoffs. He's banking on pounding the ball and setting up play action passing.

30+ year old running backs fall off the cliff all the time. Hit the ceiling. Whatever cliché you want to use. FJ could be awful this year and/or CJ can get hurt again. Whaley stocked the cupboard for a minimal price. Truly hope CJ is all world and we franchise him for one more year.

Yeah, I think that's basically the point - Marrone wants 2 healthy backs, and if FredEx or CJ go down, he wants someone who can fill in effectively, which was not Tashard Choice.

As for the article, the author is Just A Guy like us. It's essentially another way of saying FredEx and CJ are the guys until one of them gets hurt, then Brown becomes the guy, except he's sort of writing from the unstated assumption that they won't get hurt

Might as well write an article titled, "Bills won't use Dennis Dixon, Marcus Easley, and Chris Hogan much."

I just dont want to see a running back limping around the field and playing......ever

Someone gets dinged up.....get him off the field and heal......REALLY HEAL.....no RBs playing with high ankle sprains that affect their play.....drove me insane last year that we were not seeing the real CJ Spiller

That's a pet peeve of mine as well. It's crazy to think that a player on one good leg is better than a healthy young RB off the bench. Kind of insulting to the other players on the depth chart and usually an indication that the player's ego is being prioritized over the team's best interest.

Get the injured off the field and into rehab and let your roster depth do it's job.