Who Is Your Most Underrated Bill Past Or Present ?

Sittin around & it being 90's week on the NFL network , today they have been playing all the Bills great games from the 90 super bowl against the Giants to the greatest comeback in NFL history .

Reliving those great times as a Bills fan is so great , but watching those great games one guy that was always giving his best for the team but even in recapping these games you never here from him is Kenneth Davis .

Talk about a underrated player for the Bills !! WOW !! This guy was totally a great Buffalo Bill !! :worthy:

Watching these games made me wonder is there another Bill more deserving of the most underrated Buffalo Bill of all time ? Kenneth Davis has my vote !!

All's this guy did was show up (a lot of times when he was most needed) always out shadowed by Thurmon Thomas , knowing he will never be the starter as long as Thurmon is healthy , but played his guts out every game !!

And you never here or heard any thing from the guy in his entire career !!

Who is your most underrated Buffalo Bill of all time or are you with me with KD being that guy ??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go post-glory years because those guys have all been analyzed to death (eg. is Darryl Talley talked about so much for being underrated that he became overrated, etc.) We have had a few pretty damn good linebackers over the years that were pretty unsung including Marvcus Patton, Damien Covington (RIP) and Mario Haggan to name a few. Jon Holocek was even pretty damn good for a minute. And here's another two for ya- there was a time when Terrence McGee and Roscoe Parrish were so good at returning kicks and punts respectively and no one ever talks about that. I would venture to say that they may be two of the top 20 return men in NFL history. I remember back in '08ish when every time Roscoe fielded a punt he had a chance to break it.

Fred. He's #3 rushing leader in Bills history behind 2 hall of famers. One of the all time Bills greats and he doesn't get recognized because he has always played on bad teams and has never been "the guy" on offense even though he's always reliable in all facets of the game. He's not the most talented but he has the most heart and he is a true competitor. Every year he goes in not knowing if he's starting. Helps to keep him motivated I think. He better get his name on the wall of fame when all is said and done. The guy has given everything he has to this organization. Would love to see him finally get to play in the postseason this year.

Kenneth Davis is a good pick.

How about Flutie...if he would have started in that playoff game instead of Rob Johnson, that team would have won easily against Tennessee and maybe could have made a superbowl run. He just never really got a real shot to be the starter. If they win that playoff game, the last 15 years might have gone differently.

Robey. He is good enough to base your whole franchise around. He is a quick twitch athlete that is so small and fast, he invades the backfield like a ghost... or a ninja. He hits like a guy 40 lbs heavier. I'd like to see him on returns and offense too! It's worth noting that Madden 25 raised his overall 14 points (more than any other Bill) because he was so consistent week after week.

Have to second and third the guys who said Bobby Chandler!!!!

We often forget the guys of the 70s we had other than OJ, but Chandler was one of those guys you KNEW was going to catch the ball if it was thrown his way. I'm sure everyone has heard the addage, "If you can touch it, you should catch it"..... Bobby DID catch it!!!

Let me a couple more underrated from the 70s and early 80s.... Both had careers cut short due to injury... Jerry Butler and Jeff Nixon... Both should have had Wall of Fame careers if not for the injuries....

Kenneth Davis is a good pick.

How about Flutie...if he would have started in that playoff game instead of Rob Johnson, that team would have won easily against Tennessee and maybe could have made a superbowl run. He just never really got a real shot to be the starter. If they win that playoff game, the last 15 years might have gone differently.

Man your flirting with disaster there ! I love Flutie but the fans here for what ever reason have this huge hate thing happening when ever you mention his name !! Go Figure ...

Past-WR Bob Chandler, He led the NFL in receptions from 1975-1977 with 176

Present- RB Bryce Brown, Seen him play....wait and see!

Bryce don't count he hasn't even payed a down for the team yet , i was talking about people that have actually played for the team … Next year he's in the discussion this year NOT !!

Mt. Washington.

Heck, when I mentioned Chandler and Butler above, I totally forgot your screen namesake!!!!

Loved Charlie Romes better than his CB running mate, drafted MUCH higher Mario Clark. When I played, and even my personalized Bills jersey has Charlie's # 26....

Edited by Cinga

Without having looked at any of the comments in this thread:

Jay Riemersma

London Fletcher

John Holocek

Rian Lindell

Thomas Smith

John Fina.

let the blasting begin

what about

The "K-Gun" offense is commonly thought to named after quarterback Jim Kelly, but was actually named for the Bills tight end, Keith McKeller.

http://en.wikipedia....urry-up_offense

Fina- He was alright. A solid player but not a great one.

McKellar- Yeah he seems to be forgotten and I don't know why.

Big Pat Williams

Donald Jones

Aaron Williams

Leonard Smith

The Little guy club:

Shaud Williams, Roscoe, Corey Moore, Our midget trainer guy,

And of course our darkhorse longshot TE from last year's draft Chris Gragg. (shhhhhh)

Hands down Phil Hansen. We used to call Phil Hansen " Mr. Consistency" he wasn't flashy like Bruccccceeee, but he brought his lunch pail everyday and he got the job done.

+1

Fina- He was alright. A solid player but not a great one.

McKellar- Yeah he seems to be forgotten and I don't know why.

IIRC he was always being talked down as mediocre player or worse

I have another to add to go along with Fina

Jeff Wright

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

We can argue about past guys all day. -Right now, the most underrated Bill on the roster is Duke Williams. IMO, he's a FAR better option at free safety than A. Williams. Duke is highly instinctive, covers ground fast, and tackles well. The kid is a star that just needs a chance to shine. I truly hope he gets that from Schwartz.

I started following the Bills in the 70s back then I was a big Tony Greene fan you never here about the guy anymore but if my memory serves me well he had a four year stretch where he had around 30 interceptions, not certain but probably the best 4 year stretch in team history he would be my choice.

Seriously? He was never underrated.

What makes Ted Washington underrated is that he is not in the hall. He should be. If he played all 17 years with one team he would have been in first ballot. Even today you hear people say "we need a guy like a Ted Washington to clog the middle." There was only one of them.

1. Cookie Gilchrist - until he is on the wall he is underrated

2. Aaron Schobel

3. Joe Cribbs

Finally, someone mentions Schobel. A very, very good pass rusher forgotten on some of the worst teams in franchise history.

Evidently, I have to go look up the definition of under rated. Schoebel, Smerlas, Bennett, Cribbs?? 20+ Pro Bowls between them! THAT's what we're calling under rated?? While Phil Hanson was routinely snubbed in Hawaii, he's a WOFer, which is HIGHLY rated. I'll put my Bobby Chandler love up against anybody, but while he was snubbed League-wide, he was BELOVED here during his career.

Maybe the OP could help better define the objective.. In the meantime, the Chandler#81 dictionary defines under rated as a Bill of 3+ years who wasn't recognized as great by local fans nor national observers, but who was an instrumental team cog who performed with consistent excellence.

Al BeMiller

Harry Jacobs

Tommy Janik

John Leypold

Donnie Greene

Lucious Sanford

Steve Freeman

Will Grant

Ken Jones

Jim Ritcher

John Kidd

JMO.

What makes Ted Washington underrated is that he is not in the hall. He should be. If he played all 17 years with one team he would have been in first ballot. Even today you hear people say "we need a guy like a Ted Washington to clog the middle." There was only one of them.

I see what you are saying.

Ted Washington was a great Buffalo Bill. He was a true Nose Tackle.

Not really sure if he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Then again, John Randle & Cortez Kennedy are in the Hall of Fame, in which case you might have a good point.

Evidently, I have to go look up the definition of under rated. Schoebel, Smerlas, Bennett, Cribbs?? 20+ Pro Bowls between them! THAT's what we're calling under rated?? While Phil Hanson was routinely snubbed in Hawaii, he's a WOFer, which is HIGHLY rated. I'll put my Bobby Chandler love up against anybody, but while he was snubbed League-wide, he was BELOVED here during his career.

Maybe the OP could help better define the objective.. In the meantime, the Chandler#81 dictionary defines under rated as a Bill of 3+ years who wasn't recognized as great by local fans nor national observers, but who was an instrumental team cog who performed with consistent excellence.

Al BeMiller

Harry Jacobs

Tommy Janik

John Leypold

Donnie Greene

Lucious Sanford

Steve Freeman

Will Grant

Ken Jones

Jim Ritcher

John Kidd

JMO.

Not to pee on your Bobby Chandler Cheerios but he was a notorious coke head. There was a house in North Buffalo that was owned by the largest drug dealer in WNY during the 70's & 80's. Chandler along with a European guy that played for the Sabres in the mid 70's used to be the most frequent guests (Danny Gare & Reggie McKenzie as well). Chandler & Jacques Richard actually used to pass out there and just stay (Josh Hamilton style). The drug dealer's son was my uncle's best friend when they were kids. Chandler apparently used to go right from the house to the games and play all messed up. I know that it's off topic but an interesting story nonetheless.

I started following the Bills in the 70s back then I was a big Tony Greene fan you never here about the guy anymore but if my memory serves me well he had a four year stretch where he had around 30 interceptions, not certain but probably the best 4 year stretch in team history he would be my choice.

GREAT CALL here! For my money, he's the second best safety to ever lace 'em up for the Bills. Right behind George Saimes.

GO BILLS!!!

And here's another two for ya- there was a time when Terrence McGee and Roscoe Parrish were so good at returning kicks and punts respectively and no one ever talks about that. I would venture to say that they may be two of the top 20 return men in NFL history. I remember back in '08ish when every time Roscoe fielded a punt he had a chance to break it.

McGee, in his prime, was the best pure kick returner I have ever seen. The guy was fast, smooth, great moves, and read his blocks beautifully.

Such a shame he got pulled off kick returns when he started being a stud corner.