Should the Bills Cut Dareus? - Jerry Sullivan Article

Sullivan Article   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should cut ties with Dareus?

• Yes
    • No

I can say this is one of the few times I can actually agree with Jerry Sullivan in saying Dareus has overstayed his welcome. For me, yes he is a former 1st rounder, a former probowler (by default) but he is not reliable and is spotty in both his play on the field and his acts off the field. Wanted a fan opinion poll as to should he stay or should he go?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say this is one of the few times I can actually agree with Jerry Sullivan in saying Dareus has overstayed his welcome. For me, yes he is a former 1st rounder, a former probowler (by default) but he is not reliable and is spotty in both his play on the field and his acts off the field. Wanted a fan opinion poll as to should he stay or should he go?

He had 7.5 sacks and 71 tackles last year. If thats spotty in his play for a DT, we should be so lucky.

If the Bills cut him, then it is not about winning anymore. He's a great player who has made some stupid mistakes in the last few weeks. Have a heart, help the guy, keep your pro bowlers

Would you pick up Aldon Smith? If the niners cut him would you pick him up?

Edited by Captain Hindsight

So the fact that his acts make the entire front office look out of control of their player doesn't matter? Let him get arrested /suspended for the beginning of the season for 2nd or 3rd offenses but let him play when he comes back? I can't be the only one who is getting fed up with this guy.

So the fact that his acts make the entire front office look out of control of their player doesn't matter? Let him get arrested /suspended for the beginning of the season for 2nd or 3rd offenses but let him play when he comes back? I can't be the only one who is getting fed up with this guy.

You also have to use your head. These infractions are a cry for help. I also happen to think Marrone knows a hell of a lot more about the situation than you do. If he is saying Dareus needs help, I trust him.

If this is the case there is no front office in the league in control.

There's no way you're actually serious, right?

Aldon Smith....

Hmmm, the 49ers seem to be sticking with him and he's actually been suspended. Dareus hasn't been suspended. But yes lets get the pitch forks and torches out.

No way at this point do you cut him. BUT, you do start to look around to protect your interests (i.e. sign another DT, maybe explore trade options etc) AND you invest in helping keep him on the straight and narrow, similar to what Cowboys did with Dez Bryant, i.e. HIRE A BABYSITTER !

I think you can see by the poll you put up that your opinion is in the minority. I'm not happy about this off field stuff, but I certainly wouldn't cut him, nor trade him. As a post above mentioned, help him.

How does the FO look out of control? What a ridiculous statement.

Dumbest thing Ive read all offseason. And that is saying something.

Stop over-reacting. Very few people outside of Buffalo/Bills fans even realize this happened, and we're in a period where the media is desperate for any NFL news.

Dareus's transgressions barely made it onto ESPN's NFL Live (they actually spent more time saying Manuel will have a breakout season). And it wasnt even mentioned on Around the Horn or PTI.

Only Bills fans, with our "Run Them Out of Town" attitude, would even THINK of cutting such a player over such trivial events.

Get a grip, Bills fans. Find some perspective.

You also have to use your head. These infractions are a cry for help. I also happen to think Marrone knows a hell of a lot more about the situation than you do. If he is saying Dareus needs help, I trust him.

Chris Brown made the same argument but I cant disagree more with it.

How is drag racing a cry for help? and if it was a cry for help by Dareus what was it for Hughes who he was racing? was he also crying for help?

people saying his actions are a cry for help are just making excuses for him acting like an idiot

Ahhhh, the old "by default" argument. Same thought process many use on here who also maintain the Pro Bowl is "overrated."

Stop over-reacting. Very few people outside of Buffalo/Bills fans even realize this happened, and we're in a period where the media is desperate for any NFL news.

Dareus's transgressions barely made it onto ESPN's NFL Live (they actually spent more time saying Manuel will have a breakout season). And it wasnt even mentioned on Around the Horn or PTI.

Only Bills fans, with our "Run Them Out of Town" attitude, would even THINK of cutting such a player over such trivial events.

+1

I might add that I am not surprised that Sullivan is at the head of the lynching party. This would give him endless material on how stupid OBD is for drafting him in the first place, for not being able to control him, etc., and then give him the opportunity to point fingers at them again when he is a dominant player somewhere else.

Dude, stop talking about positive developments for the team....We all know ESPN has a secret agenda to hate on the Bills.

And you're right. Big-time over-reaction here.

Edited by stony

He has major challenges and needs to grow up. Lacks discipline, however whoever said you need to be a saint to star in the NFL. There are others who have done worse that have helped teams win championships. Wins first, values second. When its all done he will pay the price for his immature behavior.

yeah the 64th rated player voted by his peers is spotty. That Rodgers guy is shyte too.

Always a voice of reason. Thank you.

I would tend to agree with this. Marrone has shown no patience with players with discipline problems in the past,. but does with Dareus. There could be something here we don't know about (Dareus having psychological issues, clearly a team would not disclose those). Also, if you cut Dareus now, who plays NT next year. Although my guess is that the Bills draft one early one in next years draft.

This reminds me of when I defended Chan because I didn't want to change my name. I see you.

A better outcome would be for the Snooze to cut Sully, but that Guild protection is just too, too tough. And since people are talking about him, Warren Buffett's probably not unhappy with his pandering / lowest common denominator / drunk on a barstool schtick.

Still, I'm counting the days to his retirement or buyout...(and Bucky's as well)

Now we know what Display Name Jerry !@#$ing Sullivan (spit on the ground) uses on this board.

You would have to be a complete clueless individual to cut Dareus.

The Organization should get behind him and get him some help.

I wish this were an open poll so we can see who else voted on the clueless side.

While I agree that cutting Dareus is a terrible idea, it IS a debatable point, and your bashing of the OP for bringing up the topic is off-base. While it is clearly not the biggest off-season story, it is one that is being debated. It appears in a prominent spot in the NFL app, and on NFL.com. See below. So, while you clearly disagree with the OP as I do, lets not get carried away with exaggerated arguments that imply the OP is ridiculous for bringing this up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355439/article/thirteen-ota-takeaways-johnny-manziel-struggles ("While we're on the subject of Dareus, the NFL is building a potent roster of suspended and likely-to-be-suspended talent: Assuming they're punished, Marcell and Aldon Smithwould join a defense that already includes Robert Mathis, Daryl Washington, Brandon Browner and Will Hill. With Ray Rice and Josh Gordon potentially set to joinJustin Blackmon on offense, this ill-mannered outfit is one bad-boy quarterback away from a playoff run.")

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/0ap2000000355453/Marrone-I-believe-in-Dareus

I don't have a problem with Sullivan's article. I wouldn't cut Dareus, but don't mind a local sports-writer calling him out publicly.

I agree. I wouldn't cut him either, but calling him out publicly may be what's needed at this point.

You're asking if appearances matter. My answer would be, a little, but not nearly as much as winning. If he helps you win you keep him.

Exactly. The only appearance the FO should be concerned with is the W-L record. (unless he's Ray Rice or a certain NE TE).