Should the Bills Cut Dareus? - Jerry Sullivan Article

Sullivan Article   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should cut ties with Dareus?

• Yes
    • No

NO!

Agree!!! Sullivan's article is simply to help sell papers. First, I doubt he really believes it. And second, you don't just dump all-pro ability lineman — by the way, before Jerry could get his column out, Dareus would be wearing a Patriot uniform.

The thought of cutting him is simply ludicrous.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of when I defended Chan because I didn't want to change my name. I see you.

Way to derail any relevant discussion, but this isnt even my original screen name. You do know you can change your display name, right? You get one change every 6 months here.

Notice I havent removed the Stevie pick yet as well? That is because Im still a BILL-iever. While I "like" certain players, I will always be a fan of the Buffalo Bills, first and foremost. And if a player was having a negative impact on the team, Id be all for getting rid of him.

But that isnt happening here. What is happening is that one player isnt living up to the ridiculous standard us civilians set for NFL players in our minds, and therefore a few irrational people are over-reacting.

That, and my previous post, being said, I do believe Dareus needs to do some major growing up. Im not letting him off the hook by any means. This is all on him, and his to fix. But lets not cut off our nose to spite our face.

He had 7.5 sacks and 71 tackles last year. If thats spotty in his play for a DT, we should be so lucky.

If the Bills cut him, then it is not about winning anymore. He's a great player who has made some stupid mistakes in the last few weeks. Have a heart, help the guy, keep your pro bowlers

Would you pick up Aldon Smith? If the niners cut him would you pick him up?

Great player? He finally started stepping his play up last year, he wasn't anywhere near Great before that. And with the increase in play came constant troubles. Have a heart? ITS FOOTBALL! If he has issues then get his ass to rehab or whatever the !@#$ it takes and he can step up or GTFO!

Christ this isnt' daycare. GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the fact that his acts make the entire front office look out of control of their player doesn't matter? Let him get arrested /suspended for the beginning of the season for 2nd or 3rd offenses but let him play when he comes back? I can't be the only one who is getting fed up with this guy.

Look around. Not to minimize the issues that Dareus has had, but they are not out of line with things that nearly every NFL team has going on with players right now, as we speak. So, what, the Bills should cut him, and let some other team pick him up, win a championship, and let him be their feel-good turnaround story? Just stop with the drama on everything...

He has made some stupid mistakes to be sure... we all know that. Poor judgement. But, these aren't in the class of wife beating and other violent crimes that players acress the NFL become involved with. These are the kind of things your kid gets caught doing, or your nephew... a bit reckless, yes...but you thank god nobody got hurt. Immature...yes, but a kid can grow up.

I know, I know, he isn't a kid, you say, because you are so fed up. I would hazard to guess though, the average NFL player tends to be on the little immature side. It speaks as much to the nature of the way players are coddled (especially blue-chippers like Dareus), than the quality of the individual.

Just get your panties out their wad...

Edited by Buftex

Sullivan built his career by trashing the Bills. When the team is doing well, nobody will read his articles. So he would love to see the Bills cut their good players. When the Bills doesn't make the playoff again, he will have more materials to write about.

Way to derail any relevant discussion, but this isnt even my original screen name. You do know you can change your display name, right? You get one change every 6 months here.

Notice I havent removed the Stevie pick yet as well? That is because Im still a BILL-iever. While I "like" certain players, I will always be a fan of the Buffalo Bills, first and foremost. And if a player was having a negative impact on the team, Id be all for getting rid of him.

But that isnt happening here. What is happening is that one player isnt living up to the ridiculous standard us civilians set for NFL players in our minds, and therefore a few irrational people are over-reacting.

That, and my previous post, being said, I do believe Dareus needs to do some major growing up. Im not letting him off the hook by any means. This is all on him, and his to fix. But lets not cut off our nose to spite our face.

It was a joke.

I see overwhelmingly its no. Well sure FANS would vote that, that is why its great 99% of fans should never be owner. This kid needs to be gone and a clear message sent to the rest of the team. Trade his ass now

What is the message you want to sent? "We 're losers and we will be staying that way." Come on, they're professional athletes, if they need something like that to get a message across then we really don't want them to begin with.

I see overwhelmingly its no. Well sure FANS would vote that, that is why its great 99% of fans should never be owner. This kid needs to be gone and a clear message sent to the rest of the team. Trade his ass now

Or...

You're wrong.

People take chances on talent. That will happen either until Dareus gets a lengthy suspension, or until he is bested by someone else on the team.

If he doesn't have a great showing in TC, I think you have to entertain the idea, but only then.

While I agree that cutting Dareus is a terrible idea, it IS a debatable point, and your bashing of the OP for bringing up the topic is off-base. While it is clearly not the biggest off-season story, it is one that is being debated. It appears in a prominent spot in the NFL app, and on NFL.com. See below. So, while you clearly disagree with the OP as I do, lets not get carried away with exaggerated arguments that imply the OP is ridiculous for bringing this up.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ruggles ("While we're on the subject of Dareus, the NFL is building a potent roster of suspended and likely-to-be-suspended talent: Assuming they're punished, Marcell and Aldon Smithwould join a defense that already includes Robert Mathis, Daryl Washington, Brandon Browner and Will Hill. With Ray Rice and Josh Gordon potentially set to joinJustin Blackmon on offense, this ill-mannered outfit is one bad-boy quarterback away from a playoff run.")

http://www.nfl.com/v...lieve-in-Dareus

I'm not implying it, I'll say it outright. Jerry Sullivan (primarily) and OP are ridiculous for bringing this up. Anyone with any amount of knowledge and perspective would know you do NOT cut Marcell Dareus at this point.

You can bring it up for debate, fine. I can bring up the idea of the Bills building a new floating stadium in the middle of the lake too. Just as ridiculous.

Great player? He finally started stepping his play up last year, he wasn't anywhere near Great before that. And with the increase in play came constant troubles. Have a heart? ITS FOOTBALL! If he has issues then get his ass to rehab or whatever the !@#$ it takes and he can step up or GTFO!

Christ this isnt' daycare. GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personnel management is not your forte.

I can't believe any fan that wants to see this team succeed woukd be in favor of cutting Dareus. He is a top 3 pick entering the prime of his career. Dominating DTs that can get after the QB like he can our very hard to find. He is an integral part of the front 7 that is going to take this team to the next level.

He's a 24 year old kid- they will make mistakes. Past couple years haven't exactly been easy for him. This should serve as a wake up call and I have no doubt Marrone is the right coach for this situation

Cutting him is not going to happen unless there are more "incidents". With that said, it's time to get serious about changing his behavior. I'm not sure the best way to get through to him. If I were Kyle or Mario Williams, I'd be trying to spend as much time with him as possible to keep him out of trouble, because without him the DL will not be the same.

He should be on a short leash, but no, they shouldn't cut him. Jerry Sullivan is just a d-bag who always prefers a negative angle, and will always write with a negative slant. I don't know why he still has a job.

Watch the video of Sully, Mark Gaughan, and Timmy Graham at the top of that editorial. What a mess -- I feel sorry for Gaughan.

Graham posts the video of Aaron Williams that is completely out of context and implies the Bills are a team of "knuckleheads" and drag racers.

These guys are a joke.

Cutting him is not going to happen unless there are more "incidents". With that said, it's time to get serious about changing his behavior. I'm not sure the best way to get through to him. If I were Kyle or Mario Williams, I'd be trying to spend as much time with him as possible to keep him out of trouble, because without him the DL will not be the same.

Yup. He needs better mentoring - though I would think that the team here would be pretty good for that. He seems to want to roll with the younger guys though.

Still just 25. That is an easy time to make mistakes -- though they really aren't excusable when this much is expected of you (and being given to you).

Also, isn't there perhaps a player who is involved with racing on a legit scale? Buy in on a NASCAR team or something...

I haven't read all of the posts but how did it work out last time that we cut ties with a pro bowler with minor infractions? If the light goes off for this kid he will be dominant. He is already a very good player as evidenced by being voted the 62nd best player in the NFL by his colleagues. This is a completely ridiculous thought that need not be dignified much further. Get him help (Dez Bryant treatment) and if it doesn't change pull the extension in the offseason.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I haven't read all of the posts but how did it work out last time that we cut ties with a pro bowler with minor infractions? If the light goes off for this kid he will be dominant. He is already a very good player as evidenced as being voted as the 62nd best player in the NFL by his colleagues. This is a completely ridiculous thought that need not be dignified much further. Get him help (Dez Bryant treatment) and if it doesn't change pull the extension in the offseason.

:thumbsup: Not to mention Brandon Marshall.