Should the Bills Cut Dareus? - Jerry Sullivan Article

Sullivan Article   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should cut ties with Dareus?

• Yes
    • No

They did not cut Spikes. He signed with the Bills as a FA. It isn't the same thing, as he could have been made an offer to return if he didn't sign anywhere else. I don't get the impression that they wanted him back or that he wanted to go back, but he wasn't cut.

The Bills could end up doing the same thing with Dareus. They can yank his 5th yr option anytime prior to March. Let him test FA if they don't want him, and pick up a comp pick. Or give him a low ball offer to return if he isn't getting offers (I expect he would). It will all depend on how he performs and whether he can get his act together. My hope is he gets it together, has another good year, and they extend him. Maybe for a lower deal than he would have gotten because of the issues. But I also don't have my hopes up.

My mistake. It was clear they didn't part amicably, though.

I don't want Dareus cut or even gone. But this whole "winning organizations" stuff is garbage. Brandon Marshall, Des Bryant, how many organizations have they won with? Or even made the playoffs?

Winning organizations take troubled guys and don't let them make a sound. They get them quiet and in-line. Brandon Spikes was always a loud mouth, it just wasn't acceptable for him to be one in the NE locker room.

Think more Mike Williams comes here and cleans up his act and less, "felon who act out are fine."

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is silly. Let's cut a top 6 DT. :wallbash:

and absurd, only this from bored Bills fans that can't wait for the season to start.

just about every NFL team is dealing with issues with some players this time of the year.

lets not forget that the Patriots have a murderer that is on trial.

ohhh drag racing....lets cut him :doh:

Edited by FeartheLosing

Like the Dallas Cowboys...oh. Like the Bears....oh.

The Pats cut Brandon Spikes. Who are we trying to emulate?

Seattle with Lynch

Niners with Aldon Smith

Are you saying the Cowboys should have cut Dez Bryant?

What about Josh Gordon?

What about Suh?

What about Hines Ward?

Brandon Marshall?

Vincent Jackson?

The list goes on and on....

Would you like us to pick up any of those guys if their teams cut them at their time of trouble?

http://espn.go.com/b...htclub-incident

Edelman isn't a choir boy, but they still have him, and he was a disposable backup then and starter now. Good thing they didn't cut him.

We aren't trying to emulate anybody, we are our own team. The point is that good teams don't just cut their good players at the first sign of trouble.

My mistake. It was clear they didn't part amicably, though.

I don't want Dareus cut or even gone. But this whole "winning organizations" stuff is garbage. Brandon Marshall, Des Bryant, how many organizations have they won with? Or even made the playoffs?

Winning organizations take troubled guys and don't let them make a sound. They get them quiet and in-line. Brandon Spikes was always a loud mouth, it just wasn't acceptable for him to be one in the NE locker room.

Think more Mike Williams comes here and cleans up his act and less, "felon who act out are fine."

Those organizations with Brandon Marshal and Dez Bryant, aren't losing because they have Dez Bryant, and Brandon Marshall, I can tell you that much.

Edited by What a Tuel

and absurd, only this from bored Bills fans that can't wait for the season to start.

just about every NFL team is dealing with issues with some players this time of the year.

49ers and Seahawks also have Smith and Lynch both looking at suspensions. Denver lost Von Miller for time. I don't think Dareus is in any danger of being cut. I do think it will make the Bills prioritize Glenn over Dareus next offseason.

I did a lot of stupid things when I was his age. Got caught for some and not so much for a bunch of other stuff. 43 years ago and I grew up fine. Give the guy a break. Many of you are way too hard on him. Money doesn't matter. Job doesn't matter. Having fun and one day the light goes on. Hope it's now for him.

Edited by Direhard Fan

Do they cut Hughes now too? I think I saw CJ Spiller walk across the street without looking both ways the other day. Let's get rid of him too.

These guys are not your friends and you would not want most of them to date your daughter. Character gets you 14 years with no playoffs.

I voted no and I have a qualifier. I know a guy that got a ticket for not wearing his seatbelt. He claimed he had it on the whole time but the cop gace him a ticket anyway. It was then his responsibility to prove he was not guilty. I know I know different league but let the courts let this play out. I was that age once and was rodding about with my 1974 honda civic. That baby would do 100mph! :flirt:

Edited by fansince88

Do they cut Hughes now too? I think I saw CJ Spiller walk across the street without looking both ways the other day. Let's get rid of him too.

These guys are not your friends and you would not want most of them to date your daughter. Character gets you 14 years with no playoffs.

Now this I disagree with.

You can have good character on your football team and still be a winning team.

You just don't cut your good players out of some moral highground, unless you have a) an equivalent or better player to replace him (even then depth is always good) b) he consistently loses playing time as a result c) his performance suffers as a result of his actions.

The answer is NO. Did the people that want him cut not do anything wrong in their life? I must a weird guy then because me and all of my friends have "raced" our cars at some point in our life. Not a smart thing to do vut who hasn't as a young man?

Now this I disagree with.

You can have good character on your football team and still be a winning team.

You just don't cut your good players out of some moral highground, unless you have a) an equivalent or better player to replace him (even then depth is always good) b) he consistently loses playing time as a result c) his performance suffers as a result of his actions.

Of course you can. But do you think all 50+ players are good guys on winning teams? Hell take any group of 50 guys in any walk of life and chances are you wouldn't want to be friends with a few of them.

FYI I drove my Lexus GS 350 F Sport 108 MPH this weekend. No crash. Dareus should be heckled for his driving skills not his bad judgement...

While I agree that cutting Dareus is a terrible idea, it IS a debatable point, and your bashing of the OP for bringing up the topic is off-base.

at 184 - 10, i think the 10 need to find a pretty good reason to back up their opinion, or the debates over.

Might be a slight correction in order I think the Patriots have a double murder on trial now. :}

at 184 - 10, i think the 10 need to find a pretty good reason to back up their opinion, or the debates over.

The gang of ten are the only employees left at The Buffalo News...

I'm abstaining.

There's no doubt he's talented and that seems to be the ONLY reason why he hasn't gone the way of others who committed transgressions in the past and why those voting to keep him think he should stay. That's understandable.

What's also understandable is that since his rookie year he has shown an utter lack of maturity. First under Gailey, now under Marrone. And it seems to be escalating in terms of the behavior. He's also pissed off several veterans who have tried and failed to get him to see the light. There comes a time when, no matter how good you are, you need to establish and maintain professionalism in the locker room, on the field, and off. Nobody has to be a choir boy, but they need to put the team first. Dareus' behavior is the antithesis of that.

He's on thin ice with Whaley and Brandon and that's where the decision to keep him or not ultimately resides. Right now, I'm on the fence with them.

GO BILLS!!!

Not to sound like an old man.....but "back in the day" this would have been regarded as harmless, but stupid. While I realize that today's NFL is vastly different from back in the day, it definitely shows the contrast between the interest level in the NFL today versus the interest level even 15 years ago.

Definitely a stupid move on his part though.

Jerry Sullivan never makes sense. I get it that Dareus has issues, but there is a lot of money invested in him. He obviously has problems and the Bills are trying to help him rather then kick him to the curb.

As far as cutting him is concerned, I think with his talent, you get what you can in a trade if possible. Even if his value has decreased.

I'm just glad Jerry doesn't run the team.

Edited by basskik11