Should the Bills Cut Dareus? - Jerry Sullivan Article

Sullivan Article   

315 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Bills should cut ties with Dareus?

• Yes
    • No

I can say this is one of the few times I can actually agree with Jerry Sullivan in saying Dareus has overstayed his welcome. For me, yes he is a former 1st rounder, a former probowler (by default) but he is not reliable and is spotty in both his play on the field and his acts off the field. Wanted a fan opinion poll as to should he stay or should he go?

JERRY SULLIVAN IS A IDIOT TO take anything he says as intelligent would make you either a moron or a fool! ,the article demonstrates the proof ,

"

yeah cut 'a top pick because hes a lousy driver ,.utter stupidity..and getting caught with "spice" even the legal system doesnt view it as a crime in most places you can buy the stuff in stores all over here so if sully thinks he we should cut him... its because hes too lazy to do a real article about football. hes a tabloid type reporter he has no football background. they ran him out of NYC for incompetence ..go read a comic book it has more truths than a "news" article by sullivan.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see only approximately 5% of you agree with Sully. Some quick research indicates about 6% or so of the general population suffer from some sort of cognitive defect that impacts daily activities of living and/or mental function.

So we're about right.

:w00t::thumbsup:

there's a difference. Marcel Dareus got into and accident and fled and owned some pot.

Marshawn Lynch hit a person and fled. Got caught with pot. AND a handgun in a car full of a bunch of other questionable people all.

You know, it's funny how he wasn't charged with "getting caught with pot" even though they supposedly had evidence. It's also funny how many people will vehemently defend the right to bear arms but want to judge the guy for having a gun in his trunk.

Marshawn has made enough mistakes without having to distort the story, but for some reason that seems to be necessary. I guess it makes people feel better about themselves for judging him -- or for the Bills absolutely getting fleeced in trading him -- but I don't get it.

You know, it's funny how he wasn't charged with "getting caught with pot" even though they supposedly had evidence. It's also funny how many people will vehemently defend the right to bear arms but want to judge the guy for having a gun in his trunk.

Marshawn has made enough mistakes without having to distort the story, but for some reason that seems to be necessary. I guess it makes people feel better about themselves for judging him -- or for the Bills absolutely getting fleeced in trading him -- but I don't get it.

marshawn, in my opinion, had bigger question marks. Both in the firmly documented sense and in the "well that's a lot of rumored stories or being in the wrong place at the wrong time" sense.

Dareus is coming to a crossroads here where he will have to clean up or face consequences of his reputation but I think he's merely approaching that crossroads right now and has not raced through the intersection (crossroads comment unintentional but after realizing what I'd done I went with it). He's an incident or two away in my book (unless there's some really serious unreported stuff).

Edited by NoSaint

I strongly dislike the high standard that media people like Jerry Sullivan hold these athletes to. Many people hold them to a higher standard than themselves.

Cutting ties with Dareus would send a terrible message to our locker room. You can't just cut guys for speeding, or for getting a few misdemeanors. He hasnt even been suspended a single time by the NFL. The message is to WIN NOW, cutting one of the biggest pieces in our D-line completely undermines that.

Sully is a total tool. His M.O. is to write controversial pieces. That's how he gets attention. Dareus was busted for speeding in Alabama and was found with "artificial weed". In Alabama its a felony? In Colorado they would laugh. Now in Hamburg he is caught drag racing. Caused a little damage. These are not the acts of a thug or brazen criminal. The guy likes fast cars....

The only bad decision made in the Dareus race is where he did it ! If they would have went out in the country we would have never heard a word about it !!

Completely stupid decision to race in a urban setting period . How many of us would have been arrested for some of the things we did as kids ? Well ?

In todays world & being a professional athlete these guys are under a microscope 24/7 if they pick their nose or heaven forbid "use a slur" of any kind you have to write a written apology & go on TV & beg for forgiveness ...

People especially young people make mistakes i did you did NO ONE is immune ? to it !!

The only bad decision made in the Dareus race is where he did it ! If they would have went out in the country we would have never heard a word about it !!

Completely stupid decision to race in a urban setting period . How many of us would have been arrested for some of the things we did as kids ? Well ?

In todays world & being a professional athlete these guys are under a microscope 24/7 if they pick their nose or heaven forbid "use a slur" of any kind you have to write a written apology & go on TV & beg for forgiveness ...

People especially young people make mistakes i did you did NO ONE is immune ? to it !!

I have a funny story about Hamburg Town Court and wriggling out of something. Hopefully it is the same judge as 20 yrs ago. lol.

marshawn, in my opinion, had bigger question marks. Both in the firmly documented sense and in the "well that's a lot of rumored stories or being in the wrong place at the wrong time" sense.

Dareus is coming to a crossroads here where he will have to clean up or face consequences of his reputation but I think he's merely approaching that crossroads right now and has not raced through the intersection (crossroads comment unintentional but after realizing what I'd done I went with it). He's an incident or two away in my book (unless there's some really serious unreported stuff).

No doubt. But people like to run with stories even when there is plenty else to reference.

I can say this is one of the few times I can actually agree with Jerry Sullivan in saying Dareus has overstayed his welcome. For me, yes he is a former 1st rounder, a former probowler (by default) but he is not reliable and is spotty in both his play on the field and his acts off the field. Wanted a fan opinion poll as to should he stay or should he go?

A pro bowler by what default? He's played very well. He's not Warren Sapp yet, but that goes to show his potential. He's already a very good player, better than most and he still has room to be better. That's why it would be dumb to cut him. If they did he'd be on another team a day later. And when he did well with that team it's guaranteed the wrestling heel known as Jerry Sullivan would write a column bashing the Bills for giving him away.

He's not committed any violent crimes: no rapes, battery of women, murder, etc. Is drag racing stupid? Yes. Should he be doing it? No. But newsflash: he's probably not the only one driving fast... The marijuana stuff is irrelevant to me, but that's a discussion for another day. Talk to me when they find a crack pipe in his car or some meth. The great Bruce Smith served a four game suspension back in the day for cocaine use. Should they have cut him too? No reason to run Dareus out of town. That's senseless. I'm sorry these athletes, like anybody else, aren't perfect and do stupid things and they disappoint Mr. Sullivan and some others in the city of Buffalo. Maybe one day they might have to consider letting him go; today is not that day.

Edited by purple haze

Marcell is at least one more felony away from this becoming a legitimate topic...

Of course the way he's going that felony may not be far off... B-)

Marcell hasn't been convicted of one felony yet. Charged and convicted are two different things, sir. So that one

more felony could be the first felony... if he's convicted.

So the fact that his acts make the entire front office look out of control of their player doesn't matter? Let him get arrested /suspended for the beginning of the season for 2nd or 3rd offenses but let him play when he comes back? I can't be the only one who is getting fed up with this guy.

Apparently there are 15 others who feel like you . . .

And I'm firmly in the "you don't cut your Pro-Bowl players" camp.

Sully has shown once again that he firmly has finger on the pulse of Bills nation - or at least 16 Bills fans.

As an aside, I remember when Sully wrote another ridiculous column about a year or so ago. (Which one, I do not recall - nearly every column he writes is the same - except for the one he recently wrote about that girl that tragically died and the one after the Olympics).

In any event, the column I am referring to came out when he still appeared on WGR. He claimed that nearly everyone supported his view on whatever BS he had written about. Yet, when you read the comments on the Buffalo News website, he got about the same support as he has with this dribble.

Edited by Peter

do wonder when one becomes accountable for their actions. He not 14 - 16 year old teenager, he a 24 year old man occupying one of a limited number of privileged positions of a NFL football player. No doubt the wise course of action from a business point of view given he a hit on salary cap and team has take option for next season, is to wait out the legal process , await what league recriminations await and respond accordingly. He actions are ones of immaturity , actions that are going to cost him a great deal of money when his agent tries negotiate a long term contract. At this point few teams are going to gamble on a man who is not taking his career as serious as he can. He a good football player, be it a immature one, in the end who's actions are at this point only going to hurt himself, perhaps family and those who do believe in him. Hopefully for all concerned he will look in the mirror do some serious soul searching and take advantage of the great opportunity he has a be the best person and player he can be. His actions immaturity, not gangsterism

Glad to see only approximately 5% of you agree with Sully. Some quick research indicates about 6% or so of the general population suffer from some sort of cognitive defect that impacts daily activities of living and/or mental function.

So we're about right.

Even more astounding is that the poll is for a straight up "cut". I can see a [small] number of people wanting to trade him for whatever reasons, but cut?

I agree with your diagnosis.

The question here is does Sully want to reward Dareus for his stupid acdts.

This is the likely impact of Sully's call for s cut of Dareus would be.

Does anyone really have any doubts that coming of a Pro Bowl berth (deserved or not) that this youngster would not only walk away with the millions of $ the Bills guaranteed him, but he would enter an FA market where he would almost certainly command a huge signing bonus, and at worse would add onto the Bills money in his pocket with a huge contingency contract with his new team.

If Sully ran the Bills, he would create a massive incentive for any other young miscreants on the Bills (Jerry Hughes for example) to publicly act out and try to get cut to enter the FA market after they posted notable negotiating bennies like Dareus' Pro Bowl or Hughes surprisingly high sack total it would simply be stupid.

Add to that the Bills cutting off their nose to spite their face by accelerating his cap hit into one year.

Sully is simply advocating that in the face of juvenile idiotic action Dareus should be rewarded by being allowed to cash as he likely would financially.

Sully should acknowledge his suggestion was idiocy and if not simply ignored in all future rants.