No QB

mannc

Bad analogy. Sammy is miles ahead of Stevie athletically.

Athletic skill aside (because it means very little right now), Sammy hasn't caught an NFL pass in his life. While I sure hope it doesn't happen and it's probably not likely, he very well could end up being a bust. Stevie is not a bust. While not elite, he's money in the bank.

As for EJ, he's negative money in the bank right now considering the 1st round pick we used, plus the 1st next year which we won't be able to use on a QB.

Edited by kas23

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athletic skill aside (because it means very little right now), Sammy hasn't caught an NFL pass in his life. While I sure hope it doesn't happen and it's probably not likely, he very well could end up being a bust. Stevie is not a bust. While not elite, he's money in the bank.

As for EJ, he's negative money in the bank right now considering the 1st round pick we used, plus the 1st next year which we won't be able to use on a QB.

Actually, EJ comes from one first pick that turned into both him and Kiko Alonso, so I don't know how he could possibly be characterized as "negative money in the bank."

Nobody cares to bring this up.

Can you please tell me

1.) Who that QB is in next year's draft.

2.) Where in the first round will our forfeited pick be exactly?

3.) How do you know the QB named in #1 above will be available at that pick?

Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

Can you please tell me

1.) Who that QB is in next year's draft.

2.) Where in the first round will our forfeited pick be exactly?

3.) How do you know the QB named in #1 above will be available at that pick?

Thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

What's the point? The Bills have hitched their wagon to EJ for this season and (most likely) next. Let's hope that he performs up to expectations.

I guess in your dream world our 5th round rookie would step in and take us to 4-2? A veteran signing makes more sense if that is what you want.....

Where exactly did I call for a 5th Rd rookie? A veteran signing sounds perfect, thanks for making my point.

Going with the 5th round rookie assumption, if the kid had upside and he was backing up EJ....let's see what he could do! It keeps something called hope alive...(hey this kid could be the future) which our 2 current backups would not do....we saw everything they have last year....and there is no upside.

My "dream world" as you put it was pretty much all of our nightmare in 2013....and our FO just doubled down on the exact same 3 guys.

Vick, Schaub, Sanchez...say what you want about them...they have all led teams to the playoffs and all appear to be ready for backup roles. If we had any one of those 3 behind EJ, nobody would be discussing the QB position with concern the way we are now.

Where exactly did I call for a 5th Rd rookie? A veteran signing sounds perfect, thanks for making my point.

Going with the 5th round rookie assumption, if the kid had upside and he was backing up EJ....let's see what he could do! It keeps something called hope alive...(hey this kid could be the future) which our 2 current backups would not do....we saw everything they have last year....and there is no upside.

My "dream world" as you put it was pretty much all of our nightmare in 2013....and our FO just doubled down on the exact same 3 guys.

Vick, Schaub, Sanchez...say what you want about them...they have all led teams to the playoffs and all appear to be ready for backup roles. If we had any one of those 3 behind EJ, nobody would be discussing the QB position with concern the way we are now.

I believe the discussion was about drafting a 5th round rookie to back up EJ.

I would have been fine with a veteran signing, however your rant says it all. The minute we get Michael Vick on the team, it no longer becomes about having a backup, it becomes tearing EJ Manuel down because Vick has had playoff runs.

Just watch what happens to the Jets this year, and it will prove my point.

Edited by What a Tuel

I believe the discussion was about drafting a 5th round rookie to back up EJ.

I would have been fine with a veteran signing, however your rant says it all. The minute we get Michael Vick on the team, it no longer becomes about having a backup, it becomes tearing EJ Manuel down because Vick has had playoff runs.

Just watch what happens to the Jets this year, and it will prove my point.

I actually think it's highly likely that Vick is toast and that Tajh is the #2. Maybe I'm too high on the kid, but that's my gut feeling.

The minute we get Michael Vick on the team, it no longer becomes about having a backup, it becomes tearing EJ Manuel down because Vick has had playoff runs.

There are many different points-of-views on here, but I don't think anyone here is ignorant enough to mistake Vick for a playoff calibre QB

I can't believe I read this whole thread...

A late round rookie would take away from the staff developing EJ, which is what they are focusing on or they would invest very little time with the rookie which would result in someone who would not help us much this year.

I don't even want to get started on the fact that developing a late round QB is a waste of time (aside from Montana and Brady...who else? my point exactly). You are better of taking a flier on a other positions where players more frequently develop...

If you want a backup, don't waste a pick these players become FAs all the time and can be picked up every year. Let another team waste their picks developing a backup.

For those arguing to replace a third stringer - honestly if you get down that far in your QBs you are screwed anyways....

Dixon & Lewis will be fine for us this year while we spend our efforts developing our 1st rounder from last year....

Is that OT against the Steelers money, key 3rd down vs. *Patriots money or brutal fumble vs. Falcons money?

Edited by Bronc24

After listening to Whaley at the post draft Presser, when asked if there were any plans to bring in another "jhand" at QB, there was no hestitation at all in his response, no! Not mayber or we will see, just an emphatic no. Followed by some half hearted rationale, "..if we brought anybody else in they would have to learn the system", we are confident in Lewis, Tuel was an undrafted rookie, Dennis Dixon has been around the block.. all of which makes you wonder why competition is best suited for any position but QB? And if they the braintrust (Whaley and Brandon etc. ) are really sincere about building the very best team bar none. If so why skirt the issue of having a solid backup QB . There has to be something beyond the surface, there can be no other reason. are they so afraid that a Kolb liek clone will slip in the shower or some other bizarre reason?atttempted. It is off limits to discussin, thatpart was made "perfectly clear" thank you mr. Presdient. There is no reasonable offered and obviously we can't expect any to come forth, we were told to "just forget about it", so says the Bills Mafia. It is amazing in this day and age wtih social media and all that those who cover the team for a living are so cowed or simply afraid to push the point that we all except that Whaley knows best. Does he really?

After listening to Whaley at the post draft Presser, when asked if there were any plans to bring in another "jhand" at QB, there was no hestitation at all in his response, no! Not mayber or we will see, just an emphatic no. Followed by some half hearted rationale, "..if we brought anybody else in they would have to learn the system", we are confident in Lewis, Tuel was an undrafted rookie, Dennis Dixon has been around the block.. all of which makes you wonder why competition is best suited for any position but QB? And if they the braintrust (Whaley and Brandon etc. ) are really sincere about building the very best team bar none. If so why skirt the issue of having a solid backup QB . There has to be something beyond the surface, there can be no other reason. are they so afraid that a Kolb liek clone will slip in the shower or some other bizarre reason?atttempted. It is off limits to discussin, thatpart was made "perfectly clear" thank you mr. Presdient. There is no reasonable offered and obviously we can't expect any to come forth, we were told to "just forget about it", so says the Bills Mafia. It is amazing in this day and age wtih social media and all that those who cover the team for a living are so cowed or simply afraid to push the point that we all except that Whaley knows best. Does he really?

Were the 950 other threads on this topic not enough?

Would have liked to have snagged Aaron Murray instead of the corner from Duke. We've got plenty of DB's. Murray would give us a legitimate option at QB if EJ keeps running around like a lost giraffe and getting creamed. Thad Lewis should be a 3rd QB. He looked overwhelmed in just about every start. He doesn't have the physical tools. Jeff Tuel needn't be on an NFL roster. We could have at least drafted a developmental guy with some upside to replace him.

Otherwise, the draft was great. I just agree with the original post. Unless you're certain you have a dependable top flight QB, you draft one every year at some point in the draft. It's not a position you just leave to practice squad guys. Want proof? Try watching that Chiefs game Thad started. I had to witness that in person.

Were the 950 other threads on this topic not enough?

Say kim jong un how is your uncle doing anyway? Not to get "off topic". Don't be afraid Promo to question your superiors they may hiding something from your pre programmed mind.

Edited by patfitz

He's responding the way I would expect him to respond, defensively. Which explains his snap reaction. He's sick of answering questions pertaining to the QB position when his current QB has been labeled a premature bust (I think EJ will bust, but I also recognize it's impossible to tell after 1 year, I just didn't like him at FSU). He's also got guys with starting experience in the system as back ups right now. Perhaps the thought of adding a slightly more skilled back up, while making us better, makes him a bit apprehensive, as that is the type of player the fans could be calling for if EJ starts slow. Not that those fans calling for such a switch would benefit us or be right, it's just a predictable situation. When in reality, as far as any potential back ups go that we could bring in, after learning the system they would likely not be much better then what we currently have, given the time the players we have spent in the system. In sum, back off my Starter and I think my back ups are about the same as what is available without the risk of a sloppy mess. If this is in fact his thought process, I can't really blame him.

There are many different points-of-views on here, but I don't think anyone here is ignorant enough to mistake Vick for a playoff calibre QB

This isn't the exact same scenario, but there were a few topics on here during preseason last year trying to convince people Tuel should get a shot (Taking valuable preseason time from Manuel). Can you imagine if Vick were on the team? Ignorance is bountiful when you are a fan. That's why we are fanatics :)

I actually think it's highly likely that Vick is toast and that Tajh is the #2. Maybe I'm too high on the kid, but that's my gut feeling.

I have the opposite opinion. I think Vick starts if Geno falters like he did last year. We can only wait and see though.

Before this thread gets moved or closed, NO you do NOT give EJ competition. Man you guys after all these years should understand. A rookie QB needs time. He needs about 30 or so games to make an accurate determination on him. I have harped on this subject for years. You pick a guy you insert him and let him play, good or bad and be done with it.

NO there is no competition at QB on teams that WIN. They bring in a guy, put him in and be done with it.

And yet "Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it" ring a bell,Ad lib Ad infinitum Ad nauseam Alma mater Annuit coeptis Arma togae cedant Arma... ad nauseum

Have you not learned from the history of threads exactly like yours where this is going?

Have you not learned from the history of threads exactly like yours where this is going?

You can never have too many threads on one topic. Competition breeds winning. I say, bring in more threads to compete. This way if one of the threads gets injured, there will be one to take it's place and the topic won't miss a beat.

You can never have too many threads on one topic. Competition breeds winning. I say, bring in more threads to compete. This way if one of the threads gets injured, there will be one to take it's place and the topic won't miss a beat.

Yeah, I agree. There are a lot of places people can slip and tear something, walking onto the practice field. Better to have too many than too little...

Before this thread gets moved or closed, NO you do NOT give EJ competition. Man you guys after all these years should understand. A rookie QB needs time. He needs about 30 or so games to make an accurate determination on him. I have harped on this subject for years. You pick a guy you insert him and let him play, good or bad and be done with it.

NO there is no competition at QB on teams that WIN. They bring in a guy, put him in and be done with it.

I'll add to that point. Losman had 2 1/2 years in their system(mostly as the starter) until they drafted Edwards.

Does he really?

He's been here for five drafts now, originally brought on as a "top personnel guy," ... what do you think?

Everyone that supports him cites Nix, but the reality of it is that at worst, as Asst. GM, Whaley's been Nix's right hand man if he hasn't spearheaded the program altogether.

Manuel was his choice. Many of us, including just about everyone else that isn't a Bills fan, thought that we reached and that Manuel wasn't nearly as good as Whaley clearly thought last year.

He's all-in on Manuel. Watkins isn't even relevant unless Manuel starts doing things he's never done at FSU or last year. Again, what are the odds of that happening now, all of a sudden?

Look at what FSU's top three receivers did with Manuel as a Sr. contrasted with Winston as a freshman, same receivers;

Manuel (Sr): 1,797 and 12 TDs

Winston (Fr): 3,072 and 30 TDs

Granted, Winston's a phenom, but still, that's a huge leap and FSU has had talent far and away exceeding that of their competitors both of those last two seasons. Manuel's production at FSU was hardly impressive considering that. He's brought the same seemingly uncorrectable issues from college to the NFL.

I think that it's pretty clear that Whaley really doesn't know what he's doing, but for the skeptics that'll clear up this season. With this draft, he's thrown the mid-term future under the bus to attempt to make himself look good, but it's not for the reasons that everyone's talking about, namely "winning now" and making the playoffs this year.

This pick, make no mistake, was entirely to justify last year's pick of Manuel, which Whaley is all-in on. He took such ridiculous heat last year for that pick, Manuel did not ante up, and Whaley is on the cusp of having his pants down around his ankles if Manuel doesn't "take that next step" this year, which I view as several steps.

To his credit he's stood by the pick instead of backtracking. But you simply can't reach for a QB like Manuel, then do what he did this year, which if it then fails, expect to continue to have a job. At that point you're just a gambler without brains.

Nah, I'm sure you know better than Whaley.

Seriously, the question has been asked and answered ad infinitum. That it wasn't answered to your satisfaction is of no consequence to Whaley or the media that cover him. When you beat a dead horse as a member of the media it can effect your relationships.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll add to that point. Losman had 2 1/2 years in their system(mostly as the starter) until they drafted Edwards.

You guys will have to define what should happen during that time. 3 years is fine to wait for a polished playoff-capable QB, but it's far from unreasonable to see progress. There was no progress with Manuel last year. In fact, two of his best games were early on. His production was lumpy, he never put a solid 4-quarter, or even 3-quarter effort together, his throws were consistently all over the map.

There has to be visible progress from which one can project based upon trends. There was no such progress last year for Manuel and he'll have to show that by midseason this year or the wheels will come off the wagon.

I think that this "win now" nonsense is silly. ****, I'd be happy with a .500 season and competitive ball and a 1st-rounder next year.

Either way, it's pretty obvious to anyone that's looking, Manuel was Whaley's "had to have him" pick, now he's either going to sink or swim with Manuel, and the early returns aren't good. Unless he does what no rookie WR has ever done, Watkins is not going to be a factor this year. It's all going to come down to Manuel. All of it.

Edited by TaskersGhost

You guys will have to define what should happen during that time. 3 years is fine to wait for a polished playoff-capable QB, but it's far from unreasonable to see progress. There was no progress with Manuel last year. In fact, two of his best games were early on. His production was lumpy, he never put a solid 4-quarter, or even 3-quarter effort together, his throws were consistently all over the map.

There has to be visible progress from which one can project based upon trends. There was no such progress last year for Manuel and he'll have to show that by midseason this year or the wheels will come off the wagon.

I think that this "win now" nonsense is silly. ****, I'd be happy with a .500 season and competitive ball and a 1st-rounder next year.

Either way, it's pretty obvious to anyone that's looking, Manuel was Whaley's "had to have him" pick, now he's either going to sink or swim with Manuel, and the early returns aren't good. Unless he does what no rookie WR has ever done, Watkins is not going to be a factor this year. It's all going to come down to Manuel. All of it.

You mean to tell me that an NFL rookie QB had an up and down season??? Shocking!!! :rolleyes:

You're ignoring/tailoring the facts to suit your premise: http://www.nfl.com/p...539228/gamelogs

But carry on. :thumbsup:

Does he really?

He's been here for five drafts now, originally brought on as a "top personnel guy," ... what do you think?

Everyone that supports him cites Nix, but the reality of it is that at worst, as Asst. GM, Whaley's been Nix's right hand man if he hasn't spearheaded the program altogether.

Manuel was his choice. Many of us, including just about everyone else that isn't a Bills fan, thought that we reached and that Manuel wasn't nearly as good as Whaley clearly thought last year.

He's all-in on Manuel. Watkins isn't even relevant unless Manuel starts doing things he's never done at FSU or last year. Again, what are the odds of that happening now, all of a sudden?

Look at what FSU's top three receivers did with Manuel as a Sr. contrasted with Winston as a freshman, same receivers;

Granted, Winston's a phenom, but still, that's a huge leap and FSU has had talent far and away exceeding that of their competitors both of those last two seasons. Manuel's production at FSU was hardly impressive considering that. He's brought the same seemingly uncorrectable issues from college to the NFL.

I think that it's pretty clear that Whaley really doesn't know what he's doing, but for the skeptics that'll clear up this season. With this draft, he's thrown the mid-term future under the bus to attempt to make himself look good, but it's not for the reasons that everyone's talking about, namely "winning now" and making the playoffs this year.

This pick, make no mistake, was entirely to justify last year's pick of Manuel, which Whaley is all-in on. He took such ridiculous heat last year for that pick, Manuel did not ante up, and Whaley is on the cusp of having his pants down around his ankles if Manuel doesn't "take that next step" this year, which I view as several steps.

To his credit he's stood by the pick instead of backtracking. But you simply can't reach for a QB like Manuel, then do what he did this year, which if it then fails, expect to continue to have a job. At that point you're just a gambler without brains.

Sorry, but I think Whaley has plenty of brains. They already have four QB's on the roster. Whaley likes the guys he's got and didn't see anybody out there that he thought was better able to compete. He did a great job in the draft and before the draft. They have upgraded at WR, OL, LB, special teams and DB. The roster is more solid and deep than it has been in years. I trust his judgement and the proof will be in the pudding.

Given a choice between focusing on building a great team and finding a good QB who is essential to taking them over the top OR instead focusing on finding a great QB to make his team great, I think past events in the NFL show success comes from building the team first.

I think a big part of the Buffalo problem has been in too much focus on trying to find the next once in a lifetime Jim Kelly and not enough on overall team building.

This appears to have changed with the new regime. On O, they have built one of the best acheiving running attacks even with inconsistent OL play. The draft saw us get at least 1 and probably 2 immediate OL contributors AND we took a flyer on a top flight physical talent with a discipline problem.

Even better we pulled off a deal which gives us a good plan C at RB.

Likewise on D, this team has achieved real production in sacks to build on and seems on paper to have id'ed specific players to improve the run stopping game.

I nam comfortable with Manual maybe being good enough to lead this team, and if not then we go FA

Given a choice between focusing on building a great team and finding a good QB who is essential to taking them over the top OR instead focusing on finding a great QB to make his team great, I think past events in the NFL show success comes from building the team first.

I think a big part of the Buffalo problem has been in too much focus on trying to find the next once in a lifetime Jim Kelly and not enough on overall team building.

This appears to have changed with the new regime.

Not quite. The main reason Buddy's tenure will be deemed a failure is that he neglected the QB position to build the team, and in the process passed up on some guys who may turn into franchise QBs. EJ is Whaley's franchise QB, and now he's building the team around him. If it needs repeating, it will - Whaley's reputation will go only as far as EJ allows it to go. If EJ doesn't progress this year, Bills are basically stuck until 2016, and I can't see the new owner being happy with that.

Edited by GG

Does he really?

I couldn't agree with you any more!

All threads on this topic boil down to three groups, who will never agree until reality presents us a conclusive verdict by virtue of probowls and playoff wins or EJ dropping out of the league with a lack of success. The only thing left to do is wait and see who is right...

These are my take on the groups...

Group 1- EJ obviously sucks. Everyone saw the Tampa game, everyone saw the bucs. He is horrible. And can't help throwing his knees into oncoming traffic. He sucked at Florida based on Winston being good, sucked as a rookie by the way Thad and Tuel suck too. And Whaley sucks because he is dumb enough to think they don't suck. They all suck and nothing will ever change, the new owner is too cheap to buy a real QB. Rant, rant, rant....

Group 2: EJ is good. He made throws that we haven't seen from a bills QB since 1998. He was a rookie at the hardest spot, has a cannon arm, worked his tail off on his footwork, has much better WRs finally, unlike last year and this year he is going to flat out ball... If you look at all time rookie QBR, he in the top dozen or so...

Group 3- why on gods green earth would any chat board arm chair quarterback think they know more than the nfl institution. Everyone knows rookies struggle and you can't tell anything until a few seasons are under their belt. At QB this is amplified... Peyton sucked as a rookie, Eli sucked as a rookie, Drew Brees and Brady didn't even get a good seat on the bench. We just don't freaking know. They surrounded they guy with talent, added a QB coach, added 3/4 a ton of humanity in the offseason to stand between him and the guys trying to kill him. It's his year to start stepping up or start stepping out... The coaching staff probably feels they can get a back up game manager type out of the other 3 guys.

That's the whole story. All arguments fit into 1 of these... I am going to go with 3 and hope for 2.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I'm not surprised or disappointed. They obviously think that Manuel will turn it around this season, or at the very least like him more than any QB they could get in this draft.

I will probably make it to camp a couple times this year. But camp is basically no pressure so I would expect Manuel to look fine. The bad mechanics/footwork, if it is still there, won't come out until he is under pressure so we really won't know anything until the season actually starts.

Stay tuned Bills fans.

What are the chances a QB that couldn't start in college over a younger guy who by the way wasn't projected as more than a late round prospect if he passed on his sr year will do anything at the nfl level? Is it possible?

Because success as a QB in college, especially when the QB is a 5 star recruit, is different than the NFL, when the best athlete on the team is not usually the QB. OSU runs a spread offense. Braxton Miller is unbelievable at it. Miller is not as good of a pure passer or even as good of an all-around QB as Guiton, IMO, but he is an absolute game-changer with his feet. No way Urban would take him off the field (although it got close a couple times). Defenses had to game plan around his running ability. Guiton is mobile, but not like that. The Buckeyes ran a college offense. Guiton is more of a traditional QB. Edited by YoloinOhio