No QB

mannc

Reading these threads I realize now the plays I thought EJ Manuel made last season were just a 6-month fevered hallucination. I had no idea every pass he threw was incomplete, except for the interceptions.

Has nothing to do with his playing ability, but everything with missing half of preseason and half of regular season. But you knew that.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has nothing to do with his playing ability, but everything with missing half of preseason and half of regular season. But you knew that.

Which means we don't know if how good or bad he is yet. But let's just assume he's bad and save time.

Both Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis are further along than any of the "late round flyer" guys.

If this season is indeed "make or break" for EJM, then next season they will go out and get someone (draft or free agent) to replace him. In other words, it's just for this season, and having a new rookie wouldn't help for this season anyway.

Also, they may bring in a veteran that's been cut before this season.

Which means we don't know if how good or bad he is yet. But let's just assume he's bad and save time.

No, but it is the height of irresponsibility to not have a back-up plan for something as important as QB in the NFL when players get injured all the time. The circumstance of having an UDRFA as your back-up QB cost the Bills at least one game last year. Yes, both Kolb and EJ got hurt, but as soon as Kolb went down it was imperative they get a guy in better than Tuel, who just sucked.

I know that the offseason is your time to shine, but no one is saying that EJ is going to fail. The simple point is that, again, Bills are woefully thin at the backup position. And many people think that Whaley is taking a very big risk, against reasonable odds if EJ does not play a full season or he doesn't pick up his game in '14.

Now, you can continue bashing fans for pointing out the obvious.

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

Why the disappointment and surprise? They told you months ago that the keys were in EJ's hands and competition would not be brought in. Personally I don't like it, but the draft unfolded as expected with regard to QB.

This is the first time I've heard people think EJ sucks and we should draft someone.

What post above this said anything even remotely like that?

Oh yeah, there isn't one.

It is a QB league, but I am not sure any of the QB's we could have picked late were worth it. The tendency to reach for someone just to have a QB led to the Losman pick. I'm ok with picking for value rather than reaching for a bad QB.

I know many here had their favorites in this draft, but pardon me if I defer to Whaley's QB evaluation over yours.

Why the disappointment and surprise? They told you months ago that the keys were in EJ's hands and competition would not be brought in. Personally I don't like it, but the draft unfolded as expected with regard to QB.

What post above this said anything even remotely like that?

Oh yeah, there isn't one.

I love how an abbreviated rookie season turns into "EJ is the worst QB to ever walk the earth!!" Almost as hilarious as the idea that drafting any QB has to be an improvement.

Once again, the point is not to draft someone to compete with EJ (not that there would be anything wrong with that). The point is that--again--there is no viable backup or developmental QB on the roster.

a viable backup (I'm fine with Lewis for BU) or developmental QB would signify competition and perhaps uncertainty.

So that means it was the right decision?

It means you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed.

Both Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis are further along than any of the "late round flyer" guys.

I very much doubt that--especially the four guys I mentioned.

It is a QB league, but I am not sure any of the QB's we could have picked late were worth it. The tendency to reach for someone just to have a QB led to the Losman pick. I'm ok with picking for value rather than reaching for a bad QB.

I know many here had their favorites in this draft, but pardon me if I defer to Whaley's QB evaluation over yours.

You mean after OBD did such a terrific job managing the QB position last year?

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

Curious why you wanted a QB? As competition for EJ? Or, for Thad? Or, for Tuel?

Its so so risky to handle the QB position like this....and choosing to do so makes it inexcuseable.

Our #1 could still be a bust - jury is very much out on him. Yes, he deserves this season BUT the team and the fans deserve reasonable hope for salvaging the season if he were to get injured like he has already done 3x.

I love how an abbreviated rookie season turns into "EJ is the worst QB to ever walk the earth!!" Almost as hilarious as the idea that drafting any QB has to be an improvement.

Yes, that's what everyone has said in this thread. EJ IS THE WORST QB EVER TO WALK THE EARTH.

Hedging bets isn't a bad thing. I've come to terms with the Bills' decision, but I was at the same place mannc is several months ago. I went through some very public wailing and gnashing of teeth because this "All In" plan is very risky. We want competition everywhere on the field with the exception of the most important position.

Really, I'm fine now, I've come to terms with the decisions, but that doesn't mean that I agree with them.

Curious why you wanted a QB? As competition for EJ? Or, for Thad? Or, for Tuel?

Mainly for the latter two reasons, but if the fifth round guy turned out to be really good and put a little heat on EJ, so much the better.

Mainly for the latter two reasons, but if the fifth round guy turned out to be really good and put a little heat on EJ, so much the better.

I can see wanting to draft a guy to compete with Tuel and Thad.

But, as much as those guys have some downsides, the fact that both of them now have game experience is invaluable and probably has them way ahead of any rookie we would have drafted.

Nonetheless, I bet they bring an UDFA QB, though probably as camp fodder.