No QB

mannc

Because the Bills have gone "all in" on EJ Manuel I think it merits this discussion. He will likely make or break us this year.

Finish this sentence: EJ Manuel had a successful 2014 season because.....................

Is it because he had great stats this year (i.e. 25 to 10 TD/INT ratio, throws for 3700 yds, and runs for 2 TDs, with a 97.5 QB rating) or would you be more giving and still hold him in high regard if he had a so-so stat year, but the Bills somehow made the playoffs based upon his ability to limit the number of big mistakes??

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite. The main reason Buddy's tenure will be deemed a failure is that he neglected the QB position to build the team, and in the process passed up on some guys who may turn into franchise QBs. EJ is Whaley's franchise QB, and now he's building the team around him. If it needs repeating, it will - Whaley's reputation will go only as far as EJ allows it to go. If EJ doesn't progress this year, Bills are basically stuck until 2016, and I can't see the new owner being happy with that.

While I don't disagree with the bolded I don't agree either.

2009 - no current starting qbs drafted after the Bills first pick

2010 - no current starting qbs drafted after the Bills first pick

As a matter of fact the only 2 qbs still starting from either of these years are Bradford and Stafford the #1 overalls.

2011 - Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick drafted after the Bills first pick. You may have a case here although Dalton is 50/50 on whether it is him or the team that drives the Bengals success

2012 - Russel Wilson and Nick Foles in the 3rd round. Apparently the Bills were very high on Wilson in the 4th and sb winning is super bowl winning but he is another player that I don't think is as good as the team around him. Look at his last 6 regular season games. Still I will give you both of these guys.

So in his tenure he missed out on 4 available bonafide NFL players at the QB position. You know what though? So did every other team at least once. None of these guys were highly regarded. So yes he missed out on the qb of the future but it wasn't as glaring of an omission as you are making it out to be.

QB rating of about 85-90. Continue to take care of the ball. See open receivers quicker. Trust receivers to get open. Keep from taking too many unnecessary hits.

If he does the above, and we don't make the playoffs, I give him a third year to see if he can continue to improve. If he doesn't perform up to the above, I look into QBs in the second round of next year's draft.

Basically all I'm looking for are signs of improvement. I don't think it'll require hall of fame numbers for us to finish above .500, or even make the playoffs.

As a matter of fact the only 2 qbs still starting from either of these years are Bradford and Stafford the #1 overalls.

2011 - Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick drafted after the Bills first pick. You may have a case here although Dalton is 50/50 on whether it is him or the team that drives the Bengals success

2012 - Russel Wilson and Nick Foles in the 3rd round. Apparently the Bills were very high on Wilson in the 4th and sb winning is super bowl winning but he is another player that I don't think is as good as the team around him. Look at his last 6 regular season games. Still I will give you both of these guys.

So in his tenure he missed out on 4 available bonafide NFL players at the QB position. You know what though? So did every other team at least once. None of these guys were highly regarded. So yes he missed out on the qb of the future but it wasn't as glaring of an omission as you are making it out to be.

I agree with this take. Buddy always talked openly about wanting to find that "10-15 year guy" for a QB. Unfortunately, he didn't have an opportunity to take one of those guys as you point out. The closest chance he had was in '11, but the Panthers took Newton. We had no chance at Luck or Griffin, who were the ONLY two bonafide blue chip QB prospects since. There were legitimate questions about EVERY OTHER prospect at the position, and the league agreed.

In the meantime, because team building is NEVER a linear process, Buddy and Co. continued the process of adding other pieces. While '10 was not a good draft class, we've done OK since.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

He will be improved because he understands how important the pocket is. When to throw it away or take a sack and not be running and exposing himself to a potential injury. He will understand how important HE is to the team and that means he needs to be on the field.

A year older and wiser should help all of those issues.

Thank you.

This is what's supposed to separate the amateurs from professionals. While there were clearly no NFL worthy QBs in the 09-10 drafts, 11-12 had several, and the team didn't even take a swing at one. I could care less about them apparently liking Wilson in round 4, and why I have far more confidence in Whaley than I ever did with Nix. Whaley acts like a GM, while Nix could never lose his scout mentality and stuck to the player's position on the board. Unfortunately, that's not how teams are built. AFAIK, between 2009 and 2012, only Bears, Cards, Chargers, Chiefs & Giants have invested lower draft picks in the QB position than the Bills, and three of those teams already had a high quality starter.

This is what's supposed to separate the amateurs from professionals. While there were clearly no NFL worthy QBs in the 09-10 drafts, 11-12 had several, and the team didn't even take a swing at one. I could care less about them apparently liking Wilson in round 4, and why I have far more confidence in Whaley than I ever did with Nix. Whaley acts like a GM, while Nix could never lose his scout mentality and stuck to the player's position on the board. Unfortunately, that's not how teams are built. AFAIK, between 2009 and 2012, only Bears, Cards, Chargers, Chiefs & Giants have invested lower draft picks in the QB position than the Bills, and three of those teams already had a high quality starter.

On target.

No doubt Buddy was risk averse. And you make a good point about the old-time scout in him.

In his defense though, and knowing how committed he was to his player assessments and draft boards, I'm certain the players he chose were rated much higher than the QBs he could have made a homerun swing for. Case in point is Aaron Williams, whom most scouts had as a 1st round talent, while Dalton and Kaepernick were thought to be mid-2nd round talents. There's also no doubt that, aside from Newton, the other QBs taken in the first round in '11 were terrible reaches.

Buddy just wasn't gonna make that leap unless he was dead nut sure of it. No guts, no glory though. Definitely.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I think that this "win now" nonsense is silly. ****, I'd be happy with a .500 season and competitive ball and a 1st-rounder next year.

If you feel the Bills have wasted their past two 1st round picks, why do you care if we have or do not our next years 1st rounder...In your mind, Whaley would not anyways be able to do justice to that pick. May be Whaley attempts to replace Spiller with a RB from that pick (if he had it).

He will be improved because he understands how important the pocket is. When to throw it away or take a sack and not be running and exposing himself to a potential injury. He will understand how important HE is to the team and that means he needs to be on the field.

A year older and wiser should help all of those issues.

Thank you.

I hope THIS comes true.

Guiton, baby!! Superb athlete from The Ohio State University coming to Buffalo. He's been a backup most of his career, but he got in a few games. He'd finish last year completing 75 of 109 passes (69% completion) for 749 yards, 14 TDs to just 2 INTs. Perhaps as impressively, he was only sacked once in the nine games he appeared in.

Athletic, 6'3" or thereabouts.

Kenny G filled in admirably when Braxton Miller was injured early last season. The offense ran like a Ferrari. Urban Meyer was so impressed he went out of his way to get the kid the single-game touchdown record (six, all in the first half). I would love love love to see Guiton work out for the Bills as a smart, well-prepared backup whom could potentially coach someday.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/5/12/5704092/2014-undrafted-free-agent-signings-kenny-guiton-buffalo-bills