No QB

mannc

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

No surprise, OBD will sink or swim with EJ as we've known for quite some time.

No surprise, OBD will sink or swim with EJ as we've known for quite some time.

That was not the point. Once again, it appears that the team will enter the season with an injury-prone starter (with little experience), no quality backup, and no viable developmental prospect on the roster. This is the same mentality that led to drafting TJ Graham instead of Russell Wilson.

Not really. They said OBD was 100% behind EJ and they've proved it by not drafting another QB.

And on a personal level, I'm thrilled there won't be 100 idiotic 'why not give Boyd a start' threads.

Not really. They said OBD was 100% behind EJ and they've proved it by not drafting another QB.

And on a personal level, I'm thrilled there won't be 100 idiotic 'why not give Boyd a start' threads.

Fair enough. I would have liked to see them hedge their bets and have a true prospect in the mix as a backup, especially if EJ gets hurt again for any extended period of time. I am not sure that Lewis, Tuel or Dixon is that.

On that note, I think it's quite possible that Dixon kicks Tuel to the curb.

This is the first time I've heard people think EJ sucks and we should draft someone.

Once again, the point is not to draft someone to compete with EJ (not that there would be anything wrong with that). The point is that--again--there is no viable backup or developmental QB on the roster. Edited by mannc

Those were the exact 4 flyers that were available that I thought warranted a look.

Fair enough. I would have liked to see them hedge their bets and have a true prospect in the mix as a backup, especially if EJ gets hurt again for any extended period of time. I am not sure that Lewis, Tuel or Dixon is that.

On that note, I think it's quite possible that Dixon kicks Tuel to the curb.

In all honesty I wouldn't mind that either, but it's pretty hard to have a rookie QB and a 2d year QB and not have potential for a QB controversy, which I'm sure they wanted to avoid at all costs. You've got to give EJ this whole season, with no looking over his shoulder, to see what steps he takes.

I don't like their appearant policy that they don't want to bring in anyone who could threaten EJ for the starting job, whether through free agency or draft. Vick is an example. They're afraid the fans would be calling for him to start if EJ falters. If he can't win the job, then he shouldn't be starting.

Once again, the point is not to draft someone to compete with EJ (not that there would be anything wrong with that). The point is that--again--there is no viable backup or developmental QB on the roster.

The problem is EJ isn't established firmly enough yet, so adding a rookie to the mix isn't beneficial to him at all.

The problem is EJ isn't established firmly enough yet, so adding a rookie to the mix isn't beneficial to him at all.

Maybe not, but it might have been beneficial to the Bills.

I don't like their appearant policy that they don't want to bring in anyone who could threaten EJ for the starting job, whether through free agency or draft. Vick is an example. They're afraid the fans would be calling for him to start if EJ falters. If he can't win the job, then he shouldn't be starting.

With this crowd, that would start if they go 3 and out in the first possession of the Hall of Fame game. I don't blame them one bit for that strategy.

Maybe not, but it might have been beneficial to the Bills.

They invested a first round pick in EJ. What's good for him is good for the Bills. The guy needs more than 12 games before you declare he's fair game to losing the job.

Edited by KD in CT