RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

My concern is spreading the ball. If we get a competent RT in the second or third, E.J. will have a chance to show if he can produce or not. I love the deal; I'd rather have our second and third now than a first this year to make or break E.J.

there's way too many negative Nancys on this board we just got a f****** stud player, who cares what the f*** we gave up.

We haven't been to the f****** playoffs in 15 years get over it

Don't always agree with ya but I'm 100% with ya on this one. I love it.

AWFUL. we just drafted the WR version of CJ Spiller

That was my first reaction, but to be fair 1) CJ was amazing in 2012 which gives the jury reason to deliberate 2) I really don't know that much about the kid as I'm not a Clemson fan

Edit: could have been worse, could have been Johnny Football

Edited by Hopeful

Last year there was a team without a first round pick because they'd previously traded it for a WR. Also like us, they were starting a young 2nd year QB. Oh yeah, and Seattle also won the Super Bowl. The idea that one pick makes or breaks you is silly. The Bills drafting well through the rest of this draft, as they did last year, is a hell of a lot more important than the first rounder next year.

2 questions...

Why is this going all in on this year? I can't recall the last time a rookie WR was the final piece to take a perrenial 6-10 team to the playoffs.

Why does this signal the end of Stevie? It seems TJ, Hogan and just about all the other scrubs should be worried. But, you certainly don't build a team by cutting your top players the second you draft someone. And before everyone chimes in on how bad Stevie is... he's easily one of the best WRs ...on the Bills' team.

This was a bold move, no doubt. But, I does it completely change this franchise? I'm not so sure about that. EJ's success, or lack of, will do that

Guys (plural)...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/falcons-trade-up-for-julio-jones-in-draft-shocker-with-browns

"The Falcons really coveted a receiver in the first round because they were eager to move up from the 27th spot. It was a blockbuster deal. In exchange for getting the sixth pick, Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012."

Talk about steep.... But frankly worth it.

I thought they should have stayed at 9 and got Ebron.

But they got EJ many weapons. The only way this works out is if the Bills make the playoffs this year.

if they dont make the playoffs THIS year it was not worth it.

But at least they have some balls now, at least they have some elite talent now, and at least they trying now. So I'm happy for that.

We shall see how it works out.

When do you pick a RB?

RBs have been devalued (recent FA Ben Tate said he would be a safety if he could do it over!)--there might not even be a RB taken in the 1st round this year. I think we can grab one later (for example check out http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/RB or http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-College-RBs-2014-Draft.asp ). That said, we could definitely use a RB (as well as a TE, S or even a DT with Dareus' potential suspension) but I think we need a Right Tackle and and I think we need a Left Defensive End (of course, I'm no expert just a guy who wasted a lot of time reading mock drafts and watching Mayock on TV ... I don't care for Kiper or McShay!). I hope Sammy is the real deal!!

Great move. Great trade. Great player.

People, this offense is now ridiculous. Watkins, Stevie, Woodsy, Goodwin, Spiller, FredEx, AND Williams?? Someone will be open every play. Now, get a rt in round 2 or a te and we are talking top five offenses in the league.

(All dependent upon EJ, but that's what you're supposed to do as an organization: support your guy).

If EJ does his thing for real this year, we can have a top 5 offense and top 5 defense. Top 10 at least. Our pass defense was great last year and we've done so work patching up holes in the run game. I can't wait for this season.

Guys (plural)...

http://www.sportingn...ker-with-browns

"The Falcons really coveted a receiver in the first round because they were eager to move up from the 27th spot. It was a blockbuster deal. In exchange for getting the sixth pick, Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks this year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012."

Cleveland drafted: Phil Traylor, Greg Little, Owen Marecic, Brandon Weeden and used to 4th in 2012 with their first to move up and draft Trent Richardson. First 2 are solid starters. Marecic is out of football, Weeden is a back up on the Cowboys and Richardson was traded. Atlanta won that trade. Cleveland's problem is they drafted like the Browns usually do.

it is definitely costly, but foolish? only time will tell, but i like it. it's on par with "kiko see ball, kiko get ball".

I don't think I ever said foolish. I will stick with risky.

As I have said multiple times, Sammy Watkins' skill set sounds almost exactly like Mile Williams. Both are 6'1-6'2, both are of similar speed (4.4-4.5), both have a great vertical, both have great route running, with an advantage to Williams with experience knowing that he has thrived in the league. Spending as much as we did makes Watkins a definitive #1 guy. Is he? With everyone we have? Is he?