RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

I don't think I ever said foolish. I will stick with risky.

As I have said multiple times, Sammy Watkins' skill set sounds almost exactly like Mile Williams. Both are 6'1-6'2, both are of similar speed (4.4-4.5), both have a great vertical, both have great route running, with an advantage to Williams with experience knowing that he has thrived in the league. Spending as much as we did makes Watkins a definitive #1 guy. Is he? With everyone we have? Is he?

Yes. Yes he is.

But not the protection. He certainly has the weapons.

But not the protection. He certainly has the weapons.

Glenn, Wood and Urbik are solid. We have to hope Williams is better than his reputation at LG. Now we just have to find OT. I agree, though, lets draft a few OL guys and make certain that EJ gets time and CJ gets lanes.

Well our first pick this year.

I don't follow. We didn't give up our first this year. We used our first this year to select Watkins at #4. We gave up a future 1st and a future 4th, both picks of indeterminate value, to select the best offensive player in this year's draft; a very DETERMINATE value.

Great move all the way around.

GO BILLS!!!

Let's slow down for a minute. The chemistry that Woods and EJ showed last year was incredible in small doses. Alot of praise was shown for both of them being a exciting tandem for the future. Add Watkins with that, let alone the other weapons on O - this is an exciting team. I want a TE drafted somewhere - but wow I'm stoked.

2 questions...

Why is this going all in on this year? I can't recall the last time a rookie WR was the final piece to take a perrenial 6-10 team to the playoffs.

Why does this signal the end of Stevie? It seems TJ, Hogan and just about all the other scrubs should be worried. But, you certainly don't build a team by cutting your top players the second you draft someone. And before everyone chimes in on how bad Stevie is... he's easily one of the best WRs ...on the Bills' team.

This was a bold move, no doubt. But, I does it completely change this franchise? I'm not so sure about that. EJ's success, or lack of, will do that

Coupled with adding Mike Williams, a very solid CB in Graham and a run plugging MLB like Spikes plus a few others and it was a very solid offseason so far. I can;t even imagine being a poor 3rd or 4th CB on other teams playing us and having to cover Stevie Johnson, Robert Woods or Flash Goodwin...they are gonna have nightmares

Edited by matter2003

I look forward to next years draft where the Buffalo Bills first pick is in the 2nd round, around pick 52-55 and we don't care. The Bills nation will still be giddy from a playoff run. One can only hope and dream.

Can't believe the reaction to this trade. I thought people would be ecstatic we got our 1st franchise WR in years. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Sammy Watkins. Yep, this guy is in that territory. LOVE this trade.

Edited by Awwufelloff

The only people upset about this trade are ones who have no faith in EJ.

Which I understand, but it's too early in his career to NOT make a bold move to help him get better out of fear that you might need that pick next year to replace EJ. Well, that logic is silly and cowardly. This is a great move, a great pick, and he team got better tonight. Not worse.

Can't believe the reaction to this trade. I thought people would be ecstatic we got our 1st franchise WR in years. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Sammy Watkins. Yep, this guy is in that territory. LOVE this trade.

Because some people wanted Ebron @ 9 instead of the projected best offensive threat in the draft...lol

Love this move.

Edited by It's in My Blood

I don't think I ever said foolish. I will stick with risky.

As I have said multiple times, Sammy Watkins' skill set sounds almost exactly like Mile Williams. Both are 6'1-6'2, both are of similar speed (4.4-4.5), both have a great vertical, both have great route running, with an advantage to Williams with experience knowing that he has thrived in the league. Spending as much as we did makes Watkins a definitive #1 guy. Is he? With everyone we have? Is he?

You're confusing measurables with skill set. Mike Williams can't carry Watkins' jock when it comes to skill set. Did you catch the blurb in the News article on the front page. Watkins is one of four players in history to be named 1st Team All American as a freshman. The others being Herschel Walker, Marshall Faulk, and Adrian Peterson. That is some serious company. But as skilled as this kid is, his work ethic is twice as impressive. And you're gonna love him when he lowers his shoulder into a DB or knocks a safety on his ass while blocking.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I look forward to next years draft where the Buffalo Bills first pick is in the 2nd round, around pick 52-55 and we don't care. The Bills nation will still be giddy from a playoff run. One can only hope and dream.

Just like we didn't care when we had no first round pick the year after the Bennett trade. Who was the player we got in the 2nd that year? Gee, I just can't place him...

GO BILLS!!!