RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

Just like we didn't care when we had no first round pick the year after the Bennett trade. Who was the player we got in the 2nd that year? Gee, I just can't place him...

GO BILLS!!!

Was it one Thurman "Nuclear" Thomas? :)

Just like we didn't care when we had no first round pick the year after the Bennett trade. Who was the player we got in the 2nd that year? Gee, I just can't place him...

It was on like a MOFO...

Whaley's aggressiveness makes me think he's already thinking about how to get back into round one next year...

Can't believe the reaction to this trade. I thought people would be ecstatic we got our 1st franchise WR in years. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Sammy Watkins. Yep, this guy is in that territory. LOVE this trade.

I LOVE sammy. I know there are plenty of opportunities to improve our OLine (LG and RT) between now and september, but I will be nervous as hell until that happens.

You're confusing measurables with skill set. Mike Williams can't carry Watkins' jock when it comes to skill set. Did you catch the blurb in the News article on the front page. Watkins is one of four players in history to be named 1st Team All American as a freshman. The others being Herschel Walker, Marshall Faulk, and Adrian Peterson. That is some serious company. But as skilled as this kid is, his work ethic is twice as impressive. And you're gonna love him when he lowers his shoulder into a DB or knocks a safety on his ass while blocking.

GO BILLS!!!

I did not see that article, as I don't live where the Buffalo News is easily accessible.

Look, "Professional Kool-Aid Drinker" is part of my bit. And if Watkins is really that amazing, I will cheer loudly for him. But a nagging part of me keeps asking "Really?"

I did not see that article, as I don't live where the Buffalo News is easily accessible.

Look, "Professional Kool-Aid Drinker" is part of my bit. And if Watkins is really that amazing, I will cheer loudly for him. But a nagging part of me keeps asking "Really?"

Based on?

Is it lack of knowledge (no shame in that)? Or something you actually saw?

The only people upset about this trade are ones who have no faith in EJ.

Which I understand, but it's too early in his career to NOT make a bold move to help him get better out of fear that you might need that pick next year to replace EJ. Well, that logic is silly and cowardly. This is a great move, a great pick, and he team got better tonight. Not worse.

The only people upset about this trade are ones who stuggle with logic! :lol:

Summarized: There is a perhaps a 20% chance we are picking in the top 10 next year. You need to be picking in the top 5 to get elite QB. Therefore, the notion that we gave away our #1 next year, which represents the QB we would need to select because EJ is bad....is a tenuous conclusion at best.

It's a calculation to be sure. But, you don't make decisions based on 20% chances(which means 80% against). The chance that we gave away an opportunity to select a stud QB next year is simply too small when weighed against the probability of the other outcomes =

1. EJ good/>21st overall

2. EJ mediocre/>15th overall

3. EJ bad/>10th overall

Thus, the team would have to completely implode for the pick we gave away to be capable of picking us a stud QB.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The only people upset about this trade are ones who stuggle with logic! :lol:

Summarized: There is a perhaps a 20% chance we are picking in the top 10 next year. You need to be picking in the top 5 to get elite QB. Therefore, the notion that we gave away our #1 next year, which represents the QB we would need to select because EJ is bad....is a tenuous conclusion at best.

It's a calculation to be sure. But, you don't make decisions based on 20% chances(which means 80% against). The chance that we gave away an opportunity to select a stud QB next year is simply too small when weighed against the probability of the other outcomes =

1. EJ good/>21st overall

2. EJ mediocire/>15th overall

3. EJ bad/>10th overall

Thus, the team would have to completely implode for the pick we gave away to be capable of picking us a stud QB.

Yessir. Agreed.

I don't understand how next year's 1st round pick keeps being transmuted into being "like a 2nd round pick".

Unless every other team has traded away next year's 1st round pick and due to some unusual coincidence every team somehow misplaces them. In this case I would assume that the first round would be skipped and they start in the second round. That would make next year's 1st round pick like a 2nd round pick......wait this makes absolutely no sense either.

2nd try: No one at any position in the 1st 32 picks next year would benefit our team at all because they will suck so bad, so I will be ever so happy that the Bills won't have one of those losers on the team next year.

I hope the bills turn out to be smarter than I think they are.

All I have to say about this move is that they probably have a player trade planned in the near future to regain a pick in the first round, bet on it. Stevie might not be a top 10-15 1st round type of player, but it would not surprise me in the least if he was traded for a late round 1st, or mid 2nd round pick. If he doesn't carry that much value in the marketplace, maybe another high profile player will be traded for a pick.

I like the move, it will more than likely work out for them in the long run.

Based on?

Is it lack of knowledge (no shame in that)? Or something you actually saw?

Admittedly, I do not have a depth of personal experience. I have not broken down tape, and I fully admit that I may be wrong.

That said, most reports I heard about have Watkins being a very diverse, very well rounded, skilled at screen play WR.

Considering that EJ showed inaccuracy in screens, which could discount his worth.

Considering (repeating YET A FCKINGGAIN) that his measurables and play style seem nigh identical to Mike Williams.

Considering the price the Bills paid for him, that price demands immediate production.

If he meets it, fan!@#$ingtastic.

When you get a chance, the article is linked here on the front page at twobillsdrive.

Just tell that nagging part of you, "Yes. Really!"

GO BILLS!!!

Admittedly, I do not have a depth of personal experience. I have not broken down tape, and I fully admit that I may be wrong.

That said, most reports I heard about have Watkins being a very diverse, very well rounded, skilled at screen play WR.

Considering that EJ showed inaccuracy in screens, which could discount his worth.

Considering (repeating YET A FCKINGGAIN) that his measurables and play style seem nigh identical to Mike Williams.

Considering the price the Bills paid for him, that price demands immediate production.

If he meets it, fan!@#$ingtastic.

His skills dwarf Williams. Anyone who compares the two is selling you something.