RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

Just got back from a couple of different draft parties where it has been nothing less than a consensus that the Bills made a great move and got a great player. Yet I come back here, and it's more of the same bitching and moaning. Too bad some folks just can't be excited about a simple past time.

You're right. There is plenty of draft left to address our non-crucial needs (as Whaley had already set us up to have no major, crucial needs).

Huge move. Love it. Go Bills!

They targeted one of the 3 or 4 best players in the draft and were proactive rather than standing pat and taking the 3rd or 4th best tackle available.

Say what you want about Kiper, but his comment is still pretty eye-opening:

"He is one of the best I have seen in 36 years of doing this [scouting]."

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Watkins-selected-No-4-NFL-draft-Bills-15876

Avoided tsw for a reason til noes. What a bunch of Debbie downers. I HATE giving up a future #1. I LOVE the addition of Sammy Watkins. Couldn't be happier. Beats the hell out of drafting zack Martin or Kony Ealy.

...Yeah. It's my F*ckig problem.

I hope to see improvement in the team I root for.

That's my F*ckig problem

Beginning my fandom at the tail end of their Super Bowl years. That's my f*cking problem.

Expecting, hoping, praying for, begging against all odds that the front office makes informed, incisive decisions with knowledge that I have not. Yeah, no control over that.

Seeing the FO take a risk (and make no F*cking mistake, they took one tonight), and hoping that they were right...oh my, I wish that they were correct? Good golly! That never happens in Neverland!

It's a risk that is fully supported by the probabilities involved.

In fact, the greater risk is not taking the guy who you "know"(scouting...what Whaley gets paid to do, etc.) can put you over the top...

...when...

compared to the probability that the value of the #1 pick given away: was actually going to be high enough next year to have a chance of "working" = picking a 10-year answer QB.

Say what you want about Kiper, but his comment is still pretty eye-opening:

"He is one of the best I have seen in 36 years of doing this [scouting]."

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Watkins-selected-No-4-NFL-draft-Bills-15876

Also from Lewis:

Sammy Watkins is the most dynamic receiver that we’ve seen come out in the last five to ten years of football because of his explosiveness. What a lot of people don’t understand about him is his eye control and his ability to catch the ball with his hands. A lot of fast receivers, you don’t see them catch the ball with their hands. That is what makes him such a dynamic receiver. This is an awesome pick for them. I just think this is truly special

Just got back from a couple of different draft parties where it has been nothing less than a consensus that the Bills made a great move and got a great player. Yet I come back here, and it's more of the same bitching and moaning. Too bad some folks just can't be excited about a simple past time.

You're right. There is plenty of draft left to address our non-crucial needs (as Whaley had already set us up to have no major, crucial needs).

It's not that I (slightly bitching this year) hate Sammy Watkins. It's more concern that the team is rolling everything on this year, especially when less risky gambles may have possibly been there, and with the pick causing an overflow at WR. It has caused me to violate something I swore I never would, and that is asking if Stevie Johnson is worth trading. *gags*

That's my F*ckig problem

Beginning my fandom at the tail end of their Super Bowl years. That's my f*cking problem.

Expecting, hoping, praying for, begging against all odds that the front office makes informed, incisive decisions with knowledge that I have not. Yeah, no control over that.

Seeing the FO take a risk (and make no F*cking mistake, they took one tonight), and hoping that they were right...oh my, I wish that they were correct? Good golly! That never happens in Neverland!

Nice to see your posts are consistent with your avatar...

Therapy might be a worthwhile investment

And none of them will ever be hired at their current capacity by another team.

Instant gratification is a defining mindset of the late 20th/early 21st century. Great player...but as this is a nuanced argument (which rarely works here) and the Bills haven't earned any credit, it's only natural to be skeptical of their motive and decision. We will see Bill.

Last year there was a team without a first round pick because they'd previously traded it for a WR. Also like us, they were starting a young 2nd year QB. Oh yeah, and Seattle also won the Super Bowl. The idea that one pick makes or breaks you is silly. The Bills drafting well through the rest of this draft, as they did last year, is a hell of a lot more important than the first rounder next year.

Are you saying the Bills have a Seattle caliber defense as well?

It's not that I (slightly bitching this year) hate Sammy Watkins. It's more concern that the team is rolling everything on this year, especially when less risky gambles may have possibly been there, and with the pick causing an overflow at WR. It has caused me to violate something I swore I never would, and that is asking if Stevie Johnson is worth trading. *gags*

Would you rather the team continue to spin it's wheels in the mud just to "play it safe"? Shouldn't the front office betting big on their young QB and the teams future be inspiring to a fan and not a negative?

Good grief, Charlie Brown. Grow a pair and embrace this season.

It's a risk that is fully supported by the probabilities involved.

In fact, the greater risk is not taking the guy who you "know"(scouting...what Whaley gets paid to do, etc.) can put you over the top...

...when...

compared to the probability that the value of the #1 pick given away: was actually going to be high enough next year to have a chance of "working" = picking a 10-year answer QB.

I can only hope that you are right. If we make the playoffs, I will fully eat crow. In fact, I will put it in my sig.

Can I also add that after draft night I rarely feel like we made big steps in the the division but, albeit at a high cost, I think we got much better than the other 3 did tonight?

I agree with you (as usual). In addition, the draft has kind of fallen in a way that the Bills can continue to improve. There are still good OT and TE on the board (and Kony Ealy) that all would fill needs. It is not like a run went on positions of need yet.

Would you rather the team continue to spin it's wheels in the mud just to "play it safe"? Shouldn't the front office betting big on their young QB and the teams future be inspiring to a fan and not a negative?

Good grief, Charlie Brown. Grow a pair and embrace this season.

Annnd b*tchslap. Believe me, I am a F*cking pollyanna for this team.

That's my F*ckig problem

Official meltdown over acquiring great wideout ? Nice !!

Why would a bad team trade a first round pick to draft a receiver when they don't even know if they have a QB to throw him the ball?

This is such a stupid move.

Edited by QB Bills

Can't believe the reaction to this trade. I thought people would be ecstatic we got our 1st franchise WR in years. Julio Jones, AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, Sammy Watkins. Yep, this guy is in that territory. LOVE this trade.

Its because we have an 'awwufelloff' of math morons here who can't do the simply arithmetic to realize we DIDN'T trade 2 -1st Rd picks. We drafted the best offensive player in what is considered by many a very deep draft WITH OUR FIRST PICK!

You are showing too much enthusiasm for this board Apparently you didn't get the memo, your suppose to have yous pouty pants on