RD1, Pick #4: WR Sammy Watkins - Clemson

Even if they don't, Seattle and San Fran. didn't have a clear #1 and most people think they were the 2 best teams.

Fair point. And I, as a point, do dislike the term. And, had they waited until 9, or traded back, I would have defended such a choice in the extreme. But trading up, in my mind, puts an extra onus on what I expect.

Fair point. And I, as a point, do dislike the term. And, had they waited until 9, or traded back, I would have defended such a choice in the extreme. But trading up, in my mind, puts an extra onus on what I expect.

That sounds like a you problem rather than the Bills'.

Umm Evans went #7 to T.B.

Right so the bills option at 9 was beckham... So the gap from Watkins to Evans matters little in the discussion was the point he was making about giving up value vs staying put

That sounds like a you problem rather than the Bills'.

...Yeah. It's my F*ckig problem.

I hope to see improvement in the team I root for.

That's my F*ckig problem

Beginning my fandom at the tail end of their Super Bowl years. That's my f*cking problem.

Expecting, hoping, praying for, begging against all odds that the front office makes informed, incisive decisions with knowledge that I have not. Yeah, no control over that.

Seeing the FO take a risk (and make no F*cking mistake, they took one tonight), and hoping that they were right...oh my, I wish that they were correct? Good golly! That never happens in Neverland!

With respect to Whaley's comment, I'm assuming he was saying there "wasn't that much difference" between Watkins and Evans. So, my first thought was "why not trade for Evans then, assuming it would have cost less?" But perhaps they figured the price was going to be steep either way and they may as well go all in.

It's just a surprising comparison considering Watkins was the highest rated guy on their board. Must be they had Evans right up there too.

Edited by WotAGuy

With respect to Whaley's comment, I'm assuming he was saying there "wasn't that much difference" between Watkins and Evans. So, my first thought was "why not trade for Evans then, assuming it would have cost less? But perhaps they figured the price was going to be steep either way and they may as well go all in.

It's just a surprising comparison considering Watkins was the highest rated guy on their board. Must be they had Evans right up there too.

I've seen several in the know say that they had the two close before tonight. I'm not sure getting to 5 or 6 would be much cheaper so may as well get your guy if the difference is a 4th next year

I don't understand how next year's 1st round pick keeps being transmuted into being "like a 2nd round pick".

Unless every other team has traded away next year's 1st round pick and due to some unusual coincidence every team somehow misplaces them. In this case I would assume that the first round would be skipped and they start in the second round. That would make next year's 1st round pick like a 2nd round pick......wait this makes absolutely no sense either.

2nd try: No one at any position in the 1st 32 picks next year would benefit our team at all because they will suck so bad, so I will be ever so happy that the Bills won't have one of those losers on the team next year.

I hope the bills turn out to be smarter than I think they are.

Um. No.

Again, there is no transmutation going on here.

This is simply an exercise in probability. The probability that we have given away a chance to draft our 10 year answer at QB next year, given the talent on the team this year, is nearly negligable. You need to be picking top 5 to maximize the chance that you get your answer QB.

The pick is the pick. It's the team, that likely pushes the value of the pick down to "very unlikely to select answer QB" territory.

Consider: the reason the 6th round pick we gave away for Mike Williams was so expendable? Because the talent on this team says: that 6th round pick wasn't going to make this team.

...Yeah. It's my F*ckig problem.

I hope to see improvement in the team I root for.

That's my F*ckig problem

Beginning my fandom at the tail end of their Super Bowl years. That's my f*cking problem.

Expecting, hoping, praying for, begging against all odds that the front office makes informed, incisive decisions with knowledge that I have not. Yeah, no control over that.

Seeing the FO take a risk (and make no F*cking mistake, they took one tonight), and hoping that they were right...oh my, I wish that they were correct? Good golly! That never happens in Neverland!

Excellent, you've identified your problem. Now take a deep breath and consider this: gnashing your teeth about whether this was a good move or not (when you admittedly know little about Watkins) is about as useful as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. It accomplishes nothing -- unless you're just here to B word for bitching sake. Which is valid, just uninspiring.

With respect to Whaley's comment, I'm assuming he was saying there "wasn't that much difference" between Watkins and Evans. So, my first thought was "why not trade for Evans then, assuming it would have cost less?" But perhaps they figured the price was going to be steep either way and they may as well go all in.

It's only surprising if dw was telling the whole truth and not speaking to a reporter... You're assuming too much and looking too deep.

Edited by GreggyT