Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

I threw Johnny out there not only because of the curious timing of the report but if you want to talk about keeping the franchise long term...

Regardless of what people here think of Johnny Football as a player (I happen to like him) you have to admit that it would be a HUGE deal. There would be parades for the guy and the stadium would be full. I am not saying that it is likely (I think that Watkins would be the target) but it is not the craziest scenario of all-time.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope not. There's not a single player in this draft that is worth giving up 2 firsts and a 2nd for. Not with our needs at least. Maybe if we were 1 player short or needed the QB but were not either of those.

And I know that I'm in the minority here but I think Mack is over rated and will be bullied around on an NFL field. IMO the best defensive player in this draft is going to be Anthony Barr.

The only way the Robinson case could be made is if they wanted to move Glenn to RT, which I don't think is the case.

Right, but the end result is you end up filling the hole at RT, regardless of who plays there.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Schwartz plays more aggressive than Wanny, especially on the back end. Granted, Wanny had NO trust in his CBs as he got away from man-coverages early in the year. You'll see more aggressive CB and safety play out of Schwartz as he likes to incorporate elements of Fisher's version of Buddy Ryan's 46.

GO BILLS!!!

Not the time for this discussion, but...when you are putting on zero pass rush you can't expect your DB's to hold coverage. The game passed Wanny by.

This draft is deep and most of the Bills positions of need especially WR and OL

Thats why it only seems to make sense if they player they trade up for is Clowney

CBF

I guess that I am looking at it from the opposite side as you. If they feel like they have addressed most of their needs and are down to WR and RT than go ahead and make a move for Watkins if he is that much better than your other options. I don't think that they are going to the top of the draft for a RT. Clowney is a possibility but IMO Watkins is the favorite (they love him).

I wouldn't have an issue if it were for Clowney. Marrio, Darius, Williams, Clowney for a front 4? Wow...

Assuming they don't plan on using Clowney as an excuse to cut Mario next season.

But regardless, no player -- save an Andrew Luck type QB -- is worth giving up that much to get.

I guess that I am looking at it from the opposite side as you. If they feel like they have addressed most of their needs and are down to WR and RT than go ahead and make a move for Watkins if he is that much better than your other options. I don't think that they are going to the top of the draft for a RT. Clowney is a possibility but IMO Watkins is the favorite (they love him).

Has there been anything said/published confirming that the Bills love Watkins?

I havent heard much

CBF

There's only 1 position you move up to the #1 overall for…QB. Clowney is not a player you sell the farm for and we have been improving our defense all offseason, so moving up for Clowney would make little sense.

Are you saying that you want to limit how good the Bills defense is?

There's only 1 position you move up to the #1 overall for…QB. Clowney is not a player you sell the farm for and we have been improving our defense all offseason, so moving up for Clowney would make little sense.

I wouldn't say Clowney automatically makes little sense. If the Bills feel that he's a once-in-a-generation talent (and many folks seem to believe this), why not move up and take him? Jerry Hughes is the team's only other edge rushing threat, and he's an unrestricted FA at the end of this season.

What, exactly, would be so bad about having Clowney waiting in the wings?

Nothing published but I know that they are really high on him.

I have also heard this...I don't know that they'd move up to 1 for him though.

Sorry I dont mean to come across as negative but how do you know?

CBF

I'll vouch for Kirby...he's got solid info.

If you want an example, check out last year's Kevin Kolb is visiting Buffalo thread...Kirby broke it well before anyone knew he was in town.

I'll vouch for Kirby...he's got solid info.

If you want an example, check out last year's Kevin Kolb is visiting Buffalo thread...Kirby broke it well before anyone knew he was in town.

Thanks! I trust him and just didnt know if it was from his source or if he actually read it some where

CBF

This only makes sense if the Bills can move up without losing next year's 1st round pick AND to select Clowney.

Agreed. If we were to give away this year's 2nd round and next year's 2nd round, I would pull the trigger on Clowney, but I doubt they would go for that deal.

Clowney opposite Mario and everyone else would be pretty daunting. Look how dominant Seattle was against the best offense probably ever in Denver.

Wouldn't it be fun with Spikes plugging the middle, Lawson and Hughes rotating the Sam, and Kiko on th e Wil. This defense you would think would be pretty punishing. They may bank on this deep WR/TE draft to get later in the rounds. Maybe we can beat the 57 sacks and get the NFL record this year, a top 3-5 defense where even the Pats can't score well on us.

I just don't buy the hype that the BILLS, ala Whaley, would trade so much to get so little in return, if it's not a QB....I think the BILLS see the Draft as quite deep in WR and OLine like just about everybody else, and after an active, and to me intelligent, FA period, they really are slated to solidify those two positions in the Draft...and even though you could argue Watkins demanding a #1 overall pick, I just don't think the BILLS feel the need to do that...Mike Mayock said of Mike Evans that he had the best hands since Calvin Johnson and the guy is a big man who can run, exactly what the BILLS want in a WR...I think they stay put and Draft Evans, get their OL / RT situation in the 3rd or 4th Round, maybe even that Candian football player they hosted who seems to be quite good in the 4th Round and allow BPA dictate their Draft after Evans...I initially thought the BILLS would trade down, and sort of hope they still do, but this Draft is deep and many of the trading partners have multiple picks and can really separate themselves for years if they Draft properly...

I notice that Brandon used the term "were all in" when the Bills signed Mike Pettine. Meaning Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone all went down to interview the man.

http://www.buffalonews.com/20130201/brandon_bills_were_all_in_on_pettine.html

Recently Whaley used that same phrase to to say the Bills were " all in" on EJ, and they had Thad, Dennis Dixon, and Tuel.

"Whaley said the Bills never inquired about Michael Vickbefore he landed with the New York Jets and don't plan to add a veteran who would threaten to steal snaps from Manuel."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336423/article/doug-whaley-buffalo-bills-all-in-with-ej-manuel

Now, it could just be a coincidence of phrasing, or it could really mean the Bills are 100% behind EJ. Then later Doug Marrone said that the team could go in any direction at QB...interesting stuff.

If they want an elite WR then sign DeSean Jackson, and forget the trading up stuff.

Clowney...Manziel... Watkins?

I notice that Brandon used the term "were all in" when the Bills signed Mike Pettine. Meaning Brandon, Whaley, and Marrone all went down to interview the man.

http://www.buffalone...on_pettine.html

Recently Whaley used that same phrase to to say the Bills were " all in" on EJ, and they had Thad, Dennis Dixon, and Tuel.

"Whaley said the Bills never inquired about Michael Vickbefore he landed with the New York Jets and don't plan to add a veteran who would threaten to steal snaps from Manuel."

http://www.nfl.com/n...-with-ej-manuel

Now, it could just be a coincidence of phrasing, or it could really mean the Bills are 100% behind EJ. Then later Doug Marrone said that the team could go in any direction at QB...interesting stuff.

If they want an elite WR then sign DeSean Jackson, and forget the trading up stuff.

Clowney...Manziel... Watkins?

I don't think it is going to happen, but I got to tell ya, the idea of signing Jackson and then getting a 3 down LB or Rushing DE/LB in the top 10, followed by a new starting RT in the second who I fantasize about being as good as Glenn...just all makes me happy!

EDIT: "Jackson and Johnson...no more tears!"

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Actually I think Evans will be gone by 9. I expect that Robinson and Mathews will also be gone. I would hate to see them trade up at 9. I think a move up with their second and third pick might be the best option for them in terms of acquiring value.

moving from #9 to #1 would cost this years 2nd and next years 1st.

I would do it in a heartbeat.

just take the money you would have to pay next years #1 and use it on a UFA.

Any one in particular?

It's possible that this rumor could be floated by the Texans to try to drum up more interest in the #1 pick.

Disagree. NFL teams won't make things up. And they would tell media members exactly what they are trying to do and who htey are going to draft.