Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could only be clowney. I cant see moving to #1 to take anyone else.

CBF

This is also how I feel. No way we trade up for a tackle. We have a bunch of LBs, if pettine were still here I would consider Mack but I feel his talents would be wasted with schwartz. No way in hell should we take a wr no1. The only player that is worth it is clowney.

Why do I have the feeling schwartz is wanny 2.0

Edited by kr632

Why?

Most overrated player in football. He has little to no impact at all. The best the Bills have finished against the run with him is 22nd, and they have finished 28-32 the other 7 years. He guesses a lot (hence he led the league in encroachment penalties 2 years ago) and is out of position on more plays then you think. Should only have ever been a situational and rotational player, he is easily replaceable.

--So, Mr. Whaley, would you consider moving up in this draft.

--We wouldn't rule anything out.

--Even all the way to the first spot.

--(Says) Sure, again, we wouldn't rule anything out. (Means) If they're giving it away, we wouldn't turn it down.

HEADLINE:

Bills willing to put it all on the line for this year's top pick

GM says they want the first pick, and they want it bad

Looks about right.

This is also how I feel. No way we trade up for a tackle. We have a bunch of LBs, if pettine were still here I would consider Mack but I feel his talents would be wasted with schwartz. No way in hell should we take a wr no1. The only player that is worth it is clowney.

Why do I have the feeling schwartz is wanny 2.0

Schwartz plays more aggressive than Wanny, especially on the back end. Granted, Wanny had NO trust in his CBs as he got away from man-coverages early in the year. You'll see more aggressive CB and safety play out of Schwartz as he likes to incorporate elements of Fisher's version of Buddy Ryan's 46.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

You have to take everything before the draft with a huge grain of salt. Perhaps they really like Robinson or are worried Evans won't be there @ 9. Or perhaps they are floating a rumor to get another team to try and move up.

Exactly thre draft draws out more liars than any other entertainment venue. Perhaps, fishing is a close second but still second.

On second thought It could be for Clowney...who knows what Whaley / Brandon are thinking.

Found another link : http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-rumors/2014/3/28/5557236/nfl-draft-rumors-2014-buffalo-bills-trade-up-texans

"We still have well over a month before the start of the 2014 NFL Draft, and oh hey look, the Bills might want to trade up to No. 1 overall for a quarterback?!"

ive said it before, but i think that the front office looks at the roster as essentially complete minus 1-2 key pieces after free agency and knows that year 2 is make or break.

i think they very interested in adding a specific guy, instead of just general talent. Whether that is a pass rusher, or dynamic receiver would be purely a guess on my part (but i guess the rest of my post was too)

If it's for anything but Clowney or a quarterback then I give up.

i could see it being less about getting to #1 and more about maybe #5ish for clowney/mack/watkins and costing less then the early speculation in this thread

I think its most likely a smokescreen. If not its Robinson,Clowney or Mack.

I think your right. It's a smokescreen. I just don't see Whaley spending picks to move 8 spaces. If anything with as deep is this draft is, he will want to move back and pick up an extra pick in round 2 or 3. Both Whaley and Nix before him have said they wont give away picks to move up. I just don't see this happening. period. JMO though.

BigPappy

Let's assume for a moment that they factually are looking for the #1 pick in the draft. It's great to "list" players, but to do so without any other thought makes no sense. I'll just take who most have as the top-10 on draft boards and give my comments. You can disagree, but I would like to know why.

Jadeveon Clowney - Williams-Williams-Dareus are clearly every down starters on the defensive line. Hughes and Lawson were situational pass rusher, but clearly did a good job last year. Clowney would make sense if our new DC was trying to generate more of a pass rush with the front 4 such that the linebackers could be free to do other things. Right now Alonso, Spikes and Rivers are slated to start. This pick could make sense.

Greg Robinson - Clearly the #1 LT prospect in the draft. There in is the problem for the Bills. Glenn was solid last season at that position and some would say top-10. Why would they move a guy from a position that he's playing well so that they can insert an unknown to protect a 2nd year quarterback? Also, why would they trade up to draft a LT that they would then move to RT, when there are some very good natural RT's that would be available at #9. Makes no sense that this would be the case.

Jake Matthews/Taylor Lewan - Other tackle prospects, of which one should easily be available at #9. Neither grades out anywhere close to the top pick in the draft. Again, makes no sense.

Bortles/Bridgewater/Manziel - The Bills front office said that they are very comfortable with the quarterback situation. Whaley said that they are "all in" with Manuel. While some may want to move on already from a QB with a whole 10 games experience, I don't see it happening. You would essentially have to call the whole front office liars at this point. To boot, none of these 3 guys stand out in any meaningful way. If they really wanted to draft a QB to compete with Manuel, they could do so at #9 or even in later rounds.

Khalil Mack/Anthony Barr - Mack has been cited by some as the best football player in the draft this year. Not the best athlete (Clowney), but the best player. My problem with trading up to get him is that he could fall to #9 as well. Are they potentially trading up to trade back a few spots? We've seen that before, but I have my doubts. Mack isn't an every down pass rusher, which essentially makes him situational ala Hughes and Lawson, which we already know do a good job.

Watkins - While I believe that the Bills are set with their receivers, Watkins my be a player of interest. Not sure that he has #1 value, but if it is the guy they think they need, I could see it. The downside is that the only receiver drafted #1-2 overall to ever turn out to be THAT good is Calvin Johnson. Watson isn't a big man-beast, but more of a guy like Percy Harvin. Multiple function threat. Also, if WR is the route they are thinking, Evans will likely be there at #9. Makes no sense to spend to go up.

With all that said, Clowney is the only guy that would make sense to me. What team has routinely given the Bills trouble for the last decade? The Patriots. What teams have regularly beaten the Patriots in the regular season and/or playoffs? Teams with a front 4 that can get after Tom Brady. If the front office is basically saying they want a guy for the specific purpose of beating the Patriots, then I'm all for it.

They've also never had to make a decision with Ralph Wilson saying yea or nay. Maybe this is the first step in an entirely different Bills organization.

that and "the bills have never done it" doesnt mean much since its not buddy, or Tom D, or John Butler making the call... the bills did make moves to get their guy at the spot they thought they could get him last year though.

Interesting if true. Most likely scenario is that it doesn't happen, and quite possibly this is just a fake leak from the Texans to drum up more interest from teams in the top 8. But it's fun to speculate, so let's pretend it's real. There's a lot of speculation that the Bills like Evans a lot, and given Marrone's very uncertain comments about Hairston, I have to think they're interested in the tackles as well*. But I don't think you move up to #1 to draft Evans or one of the tackles, especially if you're planning on playing the OT at RT for at least 2 years. So who would they move up for? QB is out. The OTs are out. Watkins is a possibility, but all the way to #1 for him? I dunno. That leaves Clowney and Mack, either of which would make sense. The only thing about Mack, though, is that he's probably a run-package OLB (nickel DE) in a 4-3, and Whaley sure sounded gung-ho on Keith Rivers being a full-time starter. You don't trade up to #1 to draft a part-time player. So I think it's really Clowney or bust in this scenario.

Why on earth do you think of Mack as a run package OLB in a 4-3? Mack is a 3 down player in any defense. And if the Bills selected him and Mack plays up to his capabilities, Rivers is a backup who rotates in to give him a breather. Simple as that.

Edited by purple haze

It is nice to think that there is a guy that Whaley believes in that much at #1. If they really are sold on someone, the only guy I can think of is Clowney. He would be an every down and distance player on the D-line. If and when Mario's time is up, you have his replacement. The D-line room lead by Peppers would get his best game ready for Sundays. What a D-line that would make. 4 potential Pro-Bowlers on that line for 2014.

This only makes sense if the Bills can move up without losing next year's 1st round pick AND to select Clowney.

**Disclaimer, I think the chances of this happening are slim to none.

But I agree with the above statement. You don't trade up to the #1 overall pick for a RT, so throw Robinson (The Bills already have a very good LT, so adding a RT is the result regardless of where he plays) out of the mix. I'd also doubt they go with one of the sketchy QB's in this draft. Clowney is a rare talent, and the only one that makes sense. Plus the Bills do have a need opposite Mario.

Still, this probably isn't happening, and it probably shouldn't happen.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

**Disclaimer, I think the chances of this happening are slim to none.

But I agree with the above statement. You don't trade up to the #1 overall pick for a RT, so throw Robinson (The Bills already have a very good LT, so adding a RT is the result regardless of where he plays) out of the mix. I'd also doubt they go with one of the sketchy QB's in this draft. Clowney is a rare talent, and the only one that makes sense. Plus the Bills do have a need opposite Mario.

Still, this probably isn't happening, and it probably shouldn't happen.

The only way the Robinson case could be made is if they wanted to move Glenn to RT, which I don't think is the case.