Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

I know its bleacher report, but Pompei is a pretty good reporter. He cites sources saying the Bills appear to be interested in trading up, particularly with the Texans who want to move out of the #1 pick. It's the first blurb under "NFL Confidential". EDIT: apparently this forum won't let me link to the site of the article. Sal Capaccio tweeted the article out for those interested.

Edited by FluffHead

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably want Clowney.

• Word from the NFL meetings is the Texans are trying hard to deal the first pick in the draft. They want to move down and acquire extra selections. Sources say they might have a trade partner in the Bills, who appear interested in moving up. It is unclear who the Bills would want in a trade-up scenario. Some believe they would move up for a quarterback. They also could make good use of an offensive tackle such as Greg Robinson. And it would be something to see them pair Mario Williams with either Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack.

The price to move up hasn't been very steep the last couple of drafts. In fact I think the cowboys gave up their first and second round pikis to move up to # 6 a couple years ago to get M. Claiborne. A move like that years ago would've surely cost much more. There's Jo way the Bills would part with a future #1 pick, but if this years round 1 & 2 gets you the highest rated player on your board who knows, maybe that's a deal you make.

You have to take everything before the draft with a huge grain of salt. Perhaps they really like Robinson or are worried Evans won't be there @ 9. Or perhaps they are floating a rumor to get another team to try and move up.

I would be shocked if they or anyone else moved up to 1 for a WR

IMO this would be for Clowney, Mack, or one of the tackles...I cant see them trading up for a QB but that would be another position a team would trade up to 1 for

Edited by Max997

You have to take everything before the draft with a huge grain of salt. Perhaps they really like Robinson or are worried Evans won't be there @ 9. Or perhaps they are floating a rumor to get another team to try and move up.

They certainly do not need to move up to #1 for Evans. Only Clowney makes sense (but it really doesn;t given the apparent cost to move up from 9 to 1).

Robinson might go 1 but the draft (apparently) is very deep at tackle. Again, not worth the move.

I doubt there is any meat to this rumor.

With the depth at OT and WR in this class (ruling out Watkins or Matthews/Robinson as a tradeup target, IMO, at least at one), it is hard to see this being about anyone but Clowney. Even Mack, while I think they would grab him at 9 if by some chance he were there, really seems like more of a 3-4 LB. But Clowney slots in beautifully with Dareus and the Williams brothers.

I don't know if you can move from 9 to 1 without giving up next year's first. If Houston would take 9 plus this year's second and next year's second, or something like that, you'd have to think about it. That may not be enough though.

Interesting rumor, anyway. Keeps things lively in the loooooong six weeks leading up to the draft.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I would be shocked if they or anyone else moved up to 1 for a WR

IMO this would be for Clowney, Mack, one of the tackles or a QB

Doubt they'd do this for a QB. That would be giving up on Manuel. Also doubt they'd do it for Clowney, a guy who has questionable desire. My guess is Robinson, who some are mentioning in the same vein as Orlando Pace.

They certainly do not need to move up to #1 for Evans. Only Clowney makes sense (but it really doesn;t given the apparent cost to move up from 9 to 1).

Robinson might go 1 but the draft (apparently) is very deep at tackle. Again, not worth the move.

I doubt there is any meat to this rumor.

I agree. It's not worth the price to move up. You are going to get a very good prospect at 9. And for as good Clowney can potentially be, the guy still only had 3 sacks last year. That gives me pause.